z

Young Writers Society

Hey...

Reviews: 0
Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:08 pm
Darkshines says...

Yeah, newbie here.

My name's Emily, or Em, whichever you prefer. I'm 15 years old, and I live in England.

I started writing a few years ago, when I was about 12, but a lot of that was really bad fanfiction, it wasn't until maybe a year ago that I started writing original fiction. I don't write much, or the things that I do write, a vast quantity isn't really that good. But that's what I'm here for, to improve.

Apart from writing, I'm really into acting, playing the guitar, playing the piano, listening to music and watching the football. My favourite bands are Muse, The Killers and Queen.

So, yeah, I think that's it.

Em

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:05 am
mhmmcolleenx0 says...

Hey, Emily! I love your avatar, I feel that way a lot. :) Well, here are three main rules here on YWS:

:arrow: We have a 2:1 ratio. It means that you have to do two reviews for every piece of work you post. I've learned people are more willing to review your work if you review theirs.

:arrow: Limit chat-speak. Pls dnt tlk lik dis. It's really hard to understand. Since this is a writing website, please use proper spelling and grammar.

:arrow: Rate your work. If something has graphic scenes, or the f-word, rate it R. If your work isn't rater R it will appear on the YWS homepage!

Wow, you play all the instruments I've always wanted to learn! Well, I am learning piano this summer, so I'm pretty excited for that. On YWS, I've really improved my writing, I think you will, too. :)

Now, how about some questions for you?
What genre do you like to write and read?
Are you in to short stories or novels?
Are you interested in poetry?

Well, have fun on YWS!

-Colleen
"Can't stop, won't stop. I must be dreaming."

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:48 am
Carlito says...

Hey Emily, welcome to YWS! :D

Colleen covered all the big things to keep in mind, so I'm not going to repeat her. Just remember to read the rules because they will really help you with the site and everything.
You mentioned you like acting and guitar, maybe you could try writing some scripts or some lyrics. (I have a lyric contest that ends on the 12th that you could enter if you wanted :)). Everyone is really kind and helpful here and genuinely want everyone to improve so I think you'll be fine. :)
I really like The Killers too. I could listen to 'Smile like you mean it' all day :)

If you have any questions or need anything, feel free to PM me ! :D

-Carly
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:32 pm
Darkshines says...

Thanks for welcoming me!

I'll read almost anything, but I'm not a huge fan of fantasy. I think what I write would probably go under Other Fiction.

I like both short stories and novels, it depends entirely on my mood.

I'm not really into writing poetry much, but I'll read it. Although, I could probably improve on my poetry which I'm here as well.

Writing scripts sounds like fun, I used to enjoy doing it when it was set as a task in drama at school. Maybe I'll give it a shot.

-Emily

71 Reviews

Reviews: 71
Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:20 pm
fragile_heart(!) says...

Hi Emily!

*glares at location*
How come every gosh-darn writer on here is from England?! Do I have to live in the most boring city in Canada ever? *cough*unjust*cough*

Anyways, welcome to YWS! Colleen pretty much covered the rules, and Carly got past the 'get to know you' phase, so I'll talk about...*drum role* Mentors!

So, Mentors are basically just that -- they're people designed specifically to lend you a hand. They're distinguished by their colors -- Red, Green, Light green, turquoise, orange, and purple. Reds are Admins, or site administrators who run the site. Greens are Moderators who keep an eye on the forums. Light greens are Junior Mods, or Moderators-in-training :wink:. Turquoise (like me!) are Greeters, who greet the new members. Orange are like the 'veteran's, or members who don't post much anymore. And lastly, purples are Instructors, and those are the people you want to talk to if you need some help with your writing.

So, I hope to see some of your work soon, and have fun exploring the wonderful world of YWS!

- Fragile

Random avatar

Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:54 pm
crazycarli says...

wow! England? I'm so jealous. I've always wanted to go there.
But anyways, I'm new here also and I'm trying to meet people so I'm commenting. (:
The name's Carli, I'm 14, and I live in the U.S. Comment back.

Carli

Random avatar

Reviews: 11
Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:24 am
Exialac says...

Darkshines wrote:Yeah, newbie here.

My name's Emily, or Em, whichever you prefer. I'm 15 years old, and I live in England.

I started writing a few years ago, when I was about 12, but a lot of that was really bad fanfiction, it wasn't until maybe a year ago that I started writing original fiction. I don't write much, or the things that I do write, a vast quantity isn't really that good. But that's what I'm here for, to improve.

Apart from writing, I'm really into acting, playing the guitar, playing the piano, listening to music and watching the football. My favourite bands are Muse, The Killers and Queen.

So, yeah, I think that's it.

Em

I couldn't help but notice this post. Usually the greeters have dibs on these posts but I couldnt help but notice your resemblance to this girl I used to chat on the web. Just so uncanny. the only difference is that shes Aussie. :) -> Emiline, so amazing. Luckily for me, my girlfriend does not go on this website. :) shes amazing too.

Anyway...

From a newbie to another newbie, this site is really good so far. The people are really friendly and all will welcome you with open arms. Post some stuff and get it reviewed. Before you do that review at least two peices. There's a ratio of 2:1. There's loads to do on this site :) especially if you love lit.

Wow you listen to Muse and Queen, we'll get along just fine. Freddie Mercury is a genius. Well just to get to know you...
What's your favorite song? What's your favorite color? Favorite song? Recent plays you did? What do you think about Adam Lambert joining Queen. Do you think he's the reincarnation of Freddie Mercury?

:)
Enjoy your stay my dear.
Nostalgia is like a grammar lesson. You find the present tense and the past perfect.

"You, who have all the passion for life that I have not? You, who can love and hate with a violence impossible to me? Why you are as elemental as fire and wind and wild things..."
— Gone With the Wind