z

Young Writers Society

about me!

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:58 pm
calvinwong95 says...

hi every1....i just joined YWS few minutes ago...hehe....this is somtin about me....name is calvin....age 14 this year....

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:01 pm
Demeter says...

Hello, Calvin. Prepare to be attacked with greets.

Haha. Welcome to YWS! I believe you're LilyJamey's friend? Nice to meet you! She just told us you joined, and we all ran here to say hello!

I'm Demeter, one of the Instructors here. That's why I have a purple name. We also have Greeters, who are blue, Jr Mods and Mods (light green and green), as well as Admins in red. Nate is our god. He's the founder of this site, so without him we wouldn't be here, and many of us would be very, very unstable.

:D

We have some rules here. Here's a few main ones:

1. Don't use chatspeak. It looks stupid, and besides, we're writers. Writers don't use chatspeak. (A.k.a 'wuzz up ppl???!!!!11?')

2. You should do two reviews toward every piece you post here, like stories and poems. That way, everyone is happy. Also, posts like 'OMIGOSH i luv ur stry!! keep riting! <3333' don't count as reviews, so no need to bother. :P

3. Keep your language clean when you talk with people, and be friendly. Don't be aggressive. :)

Well, I'm sure other people will point out the ones I possible forgot. Everyone is greeting you at the moment, I feel it.

Haha, I actually posted a really short post and returned to edit this, to make sure I was the first. :lol: I don't know why I did it. I'm sorry, people.

So, what do you like to write? Tell us more about y-o-u. We're happy to get to know you!

By the way, if you'd like a Mentor (aka. someone who'll review your stories, show you around, and answer all your questions, check the Buddy System thread in this forum for more info. Though I'm sure that LilyJamey has told you a lot about this site already, which is great.

Well! I'll see you around, then! PM me whenever you like, and enjoy your time here!

Demeter
xxx
Last edited by Demeter on Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

356 Reviews

Reviews: 356
Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:04 pm
View Likes
*writewatiwant* says...

Hey Calvin! Welcome to YWS! How are you doing?

Here are the rules:
1. Keep the 2:1 ratio. That means that for every work of yours you post, you should review two other works.
2. No chat-speak and try to keep capitalizing to a minimal. At some point, people won't understand you.
3. Rate your work. rated works will appear on the Home page. if you work has adult relative matters please rated as R.

Not all are rules!
So let's know you a little bit. What are your favorites? Author, music, band, food, book, etc?
What kind of things do you write?

I'm a Linkin Park fan ^^

PM me if you need anything!
See you around!

*Kat*

P.S: as Demeter has said, watch out. the greeters and Instructors are at war so prepare to be greeted!
Last edited by *writewatiwant* on Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Piglet: How do you spell love?
Pooh: You don't spell it. You feel it.

The Buddy System Check us out!

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:05 pm
LilyJamey says...

Go Demi! Hi there, I think you know me.. Welcome to the family!

Most importantly, read the rules before you start posting! I think the others will inform you.

Secondly, go explore! Have fun, so long as it's within the rules!

I leave it to the Purps. Take it away, June.

Cheers,
Lily.
Got YWS?

174 Reviews

Reviews: 174
Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:11 pm
lucyy says...

Hi, calvin and welcome to YWS!! Just a little question before I give you a short tour: are you LilyJamey's friend??

Firstly, there are 3 important rules for you to know:
1. You need to de at least two reviews before posting your work. Try and stick with that 2:1 ratio, so everyone gets a chance at a review.

2. No chatspeak. This is a writer's site, where grammar is our passion (sad, I know, but we're all just slightly strange =P)

3. Rate your works. If your work contains the 'f' word or adult content it must be rated R.

On with the YWS tour... Right, where to start.... Let's start with colours!! You see how my name's purple? Well, that's because I'm an Instructor: it is my job to do in-depth reviews and help people out in their writing. There are many other colours too... There are the blues, which are Greeters - it is their job to greet newbies like yourself and show you around the site. They're the best people to PM (Private Message) for any guidance - but I can help out too!! =D There are also the red people, who are Administrators and look after the whole workings of this site. Then there are the Moderators who are green, and it's their jobs to look over forums, and make sure everything's running smoothly. Then in light green are the Junior Moderators who help the Moderators out. Then, finally, there are the Orange members, who are distinguished members of the site.

Hmm... what more to tell you... Groups!! There are loads, and loads of groups that you can join: from Character Development to Harry Potter, it's all here!! Just click on the 'Groups' link at the top of the page to see a list of them.

Now, just to pre-warn you, you will be flooded by Welcomes from the Purples. Why? because we're having a war where we've swapped jobs with the greeters. This war ends tonight, so we are determined to win!! =D

Anyway, enough about the site, and tell us more about you!! What kind of stuff do you like to write? books you like to read? Hobbies/Interests...? Please, tell us more about yourself!!

Enjoy your time here and PM me if you have any questions or want a review =D
--Lucyy xx
"Don't think, or judge. Just Listen."

312 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 312
Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:38 pm
Mars says...

Hey Cal! (May I call you that? :))

I think you've been well briefed on the rules, so I'll start out with: welcome to the site! I'm sure you'll [s]be addicted in no time[/s] love it here! If you don't mind my asking, what do you write, fiction, poetry, scripts, etc? What genres? What do you do besides writing? We're a curious bunch, you'll have to tell us something about yourself. ;-)

So! I'm going to link you to the Knowledge Base, which is a very handy database full of articles written by YWS members. It's helped me out so many times; would have helped me more if I had found it sooner, haha.
writing_tips.php

Anyway, I hope to see you around! PM me if you need help, or a review, or anything.
-Mars
'life tastes sweeter when it's wrapped in poetry'
-the wombats

critiques // nano

1464 Reviews

Reviews: 1464
Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:40 pm
Juniper says...

Hey Calvin! *throws confetti and part streamers around* Welcome to YWS!

I'm June, and it's great to meet you! So, how long have you been writing? :) What do you like to write most? What kind of Music do you like? :D

Anyway! Yes, so YWS is a very, very fun place once you get to know the site.

And! The rules have already been covered. No chatspeak means that we prefer to see words typed out and such, like "Nyc 2 m33t u" and the likes are unnacceptable. We prefer to see "Nice to meet you."

The 2:1 policy means that before you submit a piece of your work to complete two reviews prior to submitting your work. It generates more reviews on your piece, and it's really fun.

Also! You will see some people mentioning greets and critiques! The difference? Not much.

A review is really brief. It's just a run over of what you liked about the story/poem, and you give positive feedback for the author.

A critique is where you point out any errors the author may have made, providing suggestions and tips on how to fix it. You can include spelling, grammar, punctuation and all other types of mechanical tips in your critique. After you make any corrections, you then do an "overall", where you summarize all that you think they should pay attention to into one paragraph. And, be sure to provide positive feedback in the critique. Praise is good, but be moderate with that, dear :).

Also! The more reviews you have, the higher your review count goes. The higher your review count the better! You get more shiny stars beneath your name. Here's the legend:

Yellow/Gold

5 Reviews = 1 Star
25 Reviews = 2 Stars
75 Reviews = 3 Stars
150 Reviews = 4 Stars
250 Reviews = 5 Stars

Blue Stars:

350 Reviews = 1 Blue Star, 4 Gold Stars
450 Reviews = 2 Blue Stars, 3 Gold Stars
550 Reviews = 3 Blue Stars, 2 Gold Stars
650 Reviews = 4 blue stars, 1 Gold star
750 Reviews = 5 blue stars

Red Stars:

850 Reviews = 1 Red Star, 4 Blue Stars
950 Reviews = 2 Red Stars, 3 Blue Stars
1,050 Reviews = 3 Red stars, 2 Blue Stars
1,150 Reviews = 4 Red stars, 1 Blue star
1,250 Reviews = 5 Red stars

And then rating works:

If it's all good - rate it G
If it contains mild violence, mild swearing - rate it PG-13
Contains the F word, explicit content, and anything else kids shouldn't read- rate it R.

Also! We have the community forums, where you can talk and interact with other members. Be sure to check out the lounge and randomness. They're pretty... random :P.

The more posts you have on YWS, the higher your rank goes. At novelist, you can have a custom title, which appears beneath your name. Here's how it works:

New Member: 0-4 posts
Novice: 5-14 posts
Junior Writer: 15 - 49 posts
Writer: 50 - 99 posts
Senior Writer: 100 - 249 posts
Novelist: 250 - 499 posts
Speaker of the Forum: 500+ posts
Master of the Forum: 1,000 posts.

Moving on, we've also got blogs! You're welcome to open your own blog to rant and talk about whatever. You can also comment on other people's blogs and such. It's really fun :). We're a close community.

And! At the top of literature works, you will see a little star. You can click it to "star" the piece; starring it means that you like it, and it's like voting it to be one of the top, featured works.

Also! There's the point system. You get points when you post a review ( a review must be 250 characters to count as a review). The more points you have, the higher chance you have for being the featured member. The most helpful member with the most points is the featured member for the month. However, points get reset every few weeks, so while it is good to stock up, don't hold too many :).

It costs 150 points to create a new post. The most points you can get per review is 50.

So! Any questions? Feel free to PM me them, or post them here!
"I'd steal somebody's purse if I could google it and then download it." -- Firestarter

537 Reviews

Reviews: 537
Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:51 pm
Evi says...

Hey Calvin! Welcome to Young Writers Society!

What kind of things do you like to write? What are some of your favorite books? How did you find YWS? Do you like poetry? Which genre of music is your favorite?

Hehe, welcome to YWS, where you are guaranteed to to be attacked by members. See how my name is purple above my avatar? That means I'm an Instructor. I am here to review all of your writing and help you make it even better. You can go to anyone with a purple name if you ever need someone to take a look at your poems, stories, artwork, etc. ;)

People with Blue names are Greeters. Normally they'd be the ones welcoming you, but you've joined in the middle of an epic battle between the Purps and the Blues, where they switch jobs for one week.

Greens are Mods, who keep everyone in line and fix our mistakes. They rock epically. ^_^

Reds and admins, the Kings and Queen of YWS. You can go to them if you have a major problem, but if you need something little ask a Greeter. They can tell you everything you need to know about YWS.

Also, make sure to follow the 2:1 ratio when posting things. It keeps our ecomony owkring properly, you know?

PM me if you need anything!

~Evi
"Let's eat, Grandma!" as opposed to "Let's eat Grandma!": punctuation saves lives.

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:21 pm
Clo says...

Hey Calvin! Welcome to YWS! *throws confetti everywhere*

WARNING: YWS is highly addicting! Or at least, a lot of us can't help but log in for at least ten minutes a day and check up on their hotspots! I know I try to get on everyday to check out the blogs and the Community forums. :)

My name is Clo, and I'm an Instructor (as they've already explained, and you can tell by my purple name). I'm always available to help you out with anything, whether it pertains to writing, getting around the site, or anything really. So feel free to PM (Private Message -- there's a button at the bottom of the post for it) me anytime!

So, what sort of things do you write? What genres do you tend to stick to? And what do you read, what are your favorite books? And movies? Tell us about yourself, so we can get to know you for when we see you around the forums. ;) We're a friendly community here... if you can't tell.

I hope to see you around!

~ Clo
How am I not myself?

I think that was when I began to realize that reputation isn't everything. I should focus less about how others perceive me and more about what makes me happy. Because, in the end, I have to live with myself.
— Seraphina