z

Young Writers Society

Hey!

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:29 am
toribethh says...

Hey I'm Tori! I'm 14 and I love music. I play piano, bassoon, clairnet, flute, and I'm learning to play guitar. I love to sing, act, and dance. I also obviously love to write. I'm really bad about starting a story and getting halfway done then moving to another story. :D

239 Reviews

Reviews: 239
Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:44 am
MeadowLark says...

Heya Tori! Welcome to YWS! So glad you could join us ^_^

Let's see if I can remember some of the 'rules'

1. No chatspeak. We like grammar on here and we're writers

2. Before posting any of your work, you must review two things first! It gives a chance for everyone's work to be noticed.

3. Rate your work. Rated work (unless it is rated R) will appear on the Index page, increasing the chance of people viewing your work. Rated R works have violence, sexual scenes, nasty swear words ^_^

That's enough about them. You play a lot of instruments! All I play is the violin. Although I used to take piano lessons. What do you write? What's your favourite genre?

And don't worry, everyone seems to move onto a different story (I have lots).

Meadow
Purple light in the canyon
that is where I long to be
With my three good companions
just my rifle, pony and me

--- "My Rifle My Pony and Me"

1464 Reviews

Reviews: 1464
Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:20 am
Juniper says...

Hey Tori! Welcome to YWS!

I'm June, and Instructor (I'll explain that in a minute) on YWS! It's nice to have you here!

Let's start with the rules, first :D.

-

• Give and you shall be Given to - Also known as our infamous 2:1 policy, this is just where, before posting your own piece of work, you should complete two reviews on someone else's work.

- A review is simply where you go to someone else's story, and give them your feedback. Constructive criticism, ideas, praise (but not too much!) is always welcome. Voice your true opinions, we can take a bit of harshness, as long as your willing to have the same in return :).

• Speak not the vile speak of the internet - More commonly shown as "No Chatspeak" around here. Basically, we don't like seeing sentences like, "We are glad to have you here" written as, "W3 R gl@d 2 hve u h3r3." It's really annoying, and hurts our eyes. After all we're writers! We spend enough time staring at blinding screens writing for hours, so we needn't be blinded more by horrible writing ;).

• Sort your work, so that our eyes may be prepared - To put it simply, rate it, and put it in the appropriate forums.

- The Forums are well organized. They are divided into categories, so, you can see what goes where. They have a brief description on the outside so that you can see where to put what.

- Ratings

Works may show up on the homepage of YWS, so, rating them enables the system to filter out the bad ones :D. Here's the guide:

G - Good. No vulgar content, no bad words, no violence. You could read this to your grandchildren in years and be completely satisfied that they won't hear anything bad. Will show up on the homepage.

PG - 13 - Decent. As it suggests, people under 13 shouldn't read this; mild violence, mild swearing and stuff goes here. Will show up on the homepage.

R - Bad. The F word, sexual and violent scenes and any other explicit stuff that kids don't need to read. Will not show up on the homepage.

Read the FAQ, too! faq.php

And, if you will allow me, I shall introduce the color system! *epic drum roll is heard in the distance*

• Red! Admins, Junior Admins fir under this category. In this are the site owner himself, and his two apprentices. They deal with all of the stuff we hope to never see... like, you know, the innards? The skeletal functions and everything gory like that. Yeah, lot's of codes involved, too.

• Green (dark) - Moderators! These people paint and polish the surface. They manage the forums, making sure everything is under control. If something goes wrong, report to them. They'll see that it gets resolved, or present the case to the admins. They have a lot of hard work to do ;).

• Green (light) - Junior Moderators! While the moderators are busy dealing with all of the overall stuff, this handful of people pays attention only to specific parts of the forums, and help to make sure that the particular area stays all under control. Lots of work these members have on their hands :D

• Orange - Distinguished members! These are retired moderators and/or admins. These, as well as the above mentioned ones, deserve a lot of respect. They work hard for us to benefit.

• Purple - Instructors. These members specialize in giving good reviews and critiques on your work. We're grammar freaks, we fix all mechanical errors and writing. You're welcome to bug us for reviews anytime.

• Greeters - These people help you to find your way around the site and make sure you feel at home here :D.

We have a Buddy System here, too. It's simply where you pair up with someone for a while, and they help you out with anything you need, whether it be reviews or just plain chatting :D.

And! There's the fabulous points system.

Points are YWS's currency. You earn them by posting reviews and welcoming other members, and they help determine who will be the next featured member. It's actually rather fun, because you can donate them to people in return for reviews and stuff.

And! We have a Friends system as well! If there's a member who's been kind to you, or just look cool, you can send them a friends request by going to their profile. You can PM them as well, or sign their guestbook!

You're also welcome to open a blog here.

Ooers! A musician in the midst! I play guitar and piano as well :D. I'm sure you'll fins some other musicians around here.

Who's your favorite author? Do you do poetry? :D

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me or anyone else! Welcome aboard!
"I'd steal somebody's purse if I could google it and then download it." -- Firestarter

537 Reviews

Reviews: 537
Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:09 am
Evi says...

Welcome, tori! I'm Evi, and I shall be your Greeter today. How may I help you? May I direct you to the back of the menu, where YWS offers only the finest writing and most helpful advice. May I suggest the literary forums?

Hehe. Nice to meet you! I've played the piano for seven years, but you certainly seem musically gifted! :shock: That's a lot of instruments. You must truly love music? If so, check out the music usegroup. You can really connect with a lot of fellow music lovers.

So, what do you like to write? What are some of your favorite books? Authors? Music?

See you around, tori! PM me if you need anything!

~Evi
"Let's eat, Grandma!" as opposed to "Let's eat Grandma!": punctuation saves lives.

143 Reviews

Reviews: 143
Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:10 am
anti-pop says...

Hi, tori! :D

Welcome to YWS!
So glad that you're here!
Since June and Meadow covered everything under the sun, I guess I'll just chat. ^_^

That's awesome that you play so many instruments! I'm a guitar buff myself, and I play a little piano. How long have you been playing? Do you like to write any of your own music? Here's the Music Usergroup that Evi mentioned. I'm a member too - it's a lot of fun!

I also love to act and dance! (Can't sing for peanuts.) XD
I'm not any good at dancing, but it's just so much fun to do! How long have you been dancing? Are you learning a certain style? My main was Jazz and Hip-Hop.

And don't worry: I know what you mean about not finishing a story - right now I'm in the middle of five! XD
It's just so hard when you have so many different ideas floating around in your head, huh?

If you have any questions, need a review on a story, or would just like to chat, send me a PM or drop a note in my guestbook!

Happy writing, and welcome to YWS!

~anti-pop
...Bitter cold, it grows
changing holds
cynicism the new norm...

-Libretto

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:56 am
Claeren says...

Hey Tori! I'm Claeren, but please, call me Claery!

It's great that you can play so many instruments! I can't play a thing worth a pickle, so no going to the music group for me! I used to take piano lessons, but...ahh, I never quite got into them, if yoou know what I mean. I love to sing and dance, though I can't do either of those things very well either, and since I can't do any athletic stuff, I'm pretty much a dunce. Maybe I should just stick to writing and reading?

Anyway, to elaborate on the rules a little bit, here's the rules officially from the rules and guides page which you can find here:

I All stories and poems must be rated accordingly. If they have vulgar language, please rate them as 'R.'

II Keep all comments clean! For stories and poems, one may use vulgar language, but this is not the case with comments. All inappropiate comments will be edited.

III Members are asked to withold on submitting work until they post two reviews. After one has done, a member can submit as much work as he/she may like, although it is requested that one keeps the ratio of reviews to work to at least 2 to 1.

IV If you are not a Mentor or a Moderator, then please do not act like one!

V Members should seek to improve other's writing skills.

VI The administration reserves the right to delete posts and restrict access.

VII This is a writers forum, and thus "netspeak" or "1337" is simply not allowed.

Also, since nobody else seems to have, I mine as well tell you about the ranking system here!

Ranks

New member - o-4 posts
Novice - 5-14 posts
Junior Writer - 15-49 posts
Writer - 50-99 posts
Senior Writer - 100-249 posts
Novelist/custom - 250-499 posts
Speaker of the Forum - 500+ posts

And I can't think of anything else to say! So I guess it's toodle-oo!

- Claeren

<== Hurry and click, before they all die!

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:50 pm
muffy says...

lol!! i do the same stuff beth. is it ok i call you beth? just try sticking with it is all i can say and maybe incorporate the ideas that you get from you new story into the story your making, it can work;). Welcome to YWS!

312 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 312
Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:57 pm
Mars says...

Hey!

Goodness, that's a lot of instruments. It always makes me feel guilty, as I have started countless instruments but just never can seem to follow through. XD Except piano! And writing, singing, dancing...we have a lot in common, dear. We'll be great friends.

So, you know the rules and colors and such. Wonderful. If you ever need reviews, be sure to check out the Will Review For Food forum under The Lounge, it's immensely useful, and everyone would be delighted to give you one.

And, YWS helps motivate! To know that people are waiting to read your stuff and will bug you to finish it. And if that's not enough, I've found it helpful to keep a notebook for each new project, and then I absolutely have to finish it, because if not, wasted notebook! And a wasted notebook is, like, the most horrible thing ever.

Anyway, welcome to the [s]asylum[/s] site, I'm sure you'll love it here!

-Mars
'life tastes sweeter when it's wrapped in poetry'
-the wombats

critiques // nano

something I have been thinking about ever since I saw the Super Mario Bros movie is how once I took a "what Nintendo character are you" quiz and I got Waluigi.
— Elinor