z

Young Writers Society

Hi?

Reviews: 2
Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:42 pm
Monday says...

Hello everyone, I'm Monday! Thanks to springrain's help I figured out how to post this, :). So... I guess I introduce myself now?

I love writing Fantasy and Horror stories and I'm a sucker for a book with a lot of gore. Music and cats are my life and I absolutely love to draw and take pictures.

With music, I mostly listen to alternative but I sometimes lean over to the rock. For instance, one second I'll be listening to Brett Dennen or NeverShoutNever!, then I'll be listening to Hollywood Undead or David Cook. So... yeah.

My favorite TV shows are Death Note, Danny Phantom, Invader Zim and The Soup. I absolutely hate Twilight with a burning passion of firey rage. I hate vampires period. I love werewolves. :)

So, that's it for me.
Love of mine, someday you will die. But I'll be close behind, to follow you into the dark.
- Death Cab For Cutie

537 Reviews

Reviews: 537
Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:52 pm
Evi says...

Moday!

Hehe, Evi here. :lol: Thanks for posting. I hope your enjoying yourself on YWS? I see that you've already discovered Chat (addicting, yes?)

Join the anti-twilight rage groups. We actually have a usergroup for Twilight haters, and it seems that you'll fit right in! What are some of your favorite books?

I've already informed you of the 2:1 ratio on chat, so we need not discuss that here. Just make sure to stick to it, or the mods might eat you. XD

Hehe. Just kidding! No chatspeak either, remember; we'd much rather use proper grammar and capitalization, yes?

So, Death Note? Might want to talk to my friend anti-pop on here; she loves that show. You'll find lots of people who share your interests on YWS. We're awesome like that!

See you around, Monday!

~Evi
"Let's eat, Grandma!" as opposed to "Let's eat Grandma!": punctuation saves lives.

369 Reviews

Reviews: 369
Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:16 am
Conrad Rice says...

Hi Monday! Nice to see you decided to join YWS! My name is Conrad, and I'm one of the Instructors here. That means I'm staff, and if you have any problems at all, you come straight to me and I will endeavor to fix them as soon as possible! We always love it when new folk like you come in to try out our site. We hope that you'll stay and make YWS your permanent writing home! :)

-Conrad Rice
Garrus Vakarian is my homeboy.

1464 Reviews

Reviews: 1464
Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:25 am
Juniper says...

Monday! Welcome to YWS!

I'm June, but I don't mind if you call me Spring, or Rain, or Grain. Not that I actually have "grain" in my name, but a few people call me that, so I don't actually mind. I like June most, but the choice is yours :D.

So! Evi has briefed you on those rules already? Yay! Here's a few more things to pay attention to:

- Colors

Colors represent people with jobs on YWS. They have a certain position on here because they work with some part of the site or another. Here's the legend:

• Red - Administrators/Junior Administrators. As of now, there's only 3 of these members, and they are the site owner (Nate) and then two other people who assist him. Often, it's better not to bother them, since they're relatively busy with making this place go and such, and they have to deal with all the gears and codes and stuff that are too complicated for our eyes ;).

• Green (Dark) - Moderators. The Moderator team consists of a handful of members that manage the forums. If there is a problem on the site, you should report the problem to them. They can take care of it for you, and/or present it to the administrators for further investigation.

• Green (light) - Junior Moderators. This moderator team consists of members that only have to moderate a specific part/area of YWS, making sure that it stays under control. Basically, it's like, the Moderators take care of everything, but the Junior Moderators only have to focus on one part of that everything so that they can closely inspect that when the moderators cannot :D.

• Orange - Distinguished members. These are retired moderators and/or Administrators. All of the above deserve ultimate respect from members. After all, they work hard!

• Purple - Instructors. These are people who specialize in giving critiques (also known as reviews). We're grammar obsessive people, who pay attention to lots of little mechanical stuff in writing. You're welcome to request reviews from us anytime. Also! Some of us-- not all, though-- can be stern in our reviews, so be prepared, dear.

• Blue - Greeters. These people welcome newcomers like you to YWS, making sure that they feel at home here, and giving them welcomes, just like I'm doing now. If you have a question, feel free to ask!

YWS also has a Buddy System. This is a team of Mentors, people who are very kind and experienced on YWS, and if you're in need of a mentor, all you have to do is ask. A mentor will help you out around the site, like a greeter would, but for a longer period of time. In addition to that, the mentor will be your buddy, meaning you can get to know them and all of that fun stuff! And! They will review your work for you as well.

Also! Take a look at the FAQ! It's very helpful. When I first joined YWS, I read it to find my way around. In fact, I remember being rather studios about it... I nearly memorized it :P.

faq.php

When posting a story, poem, or any piece of literature, please be sure to rate it.

As you are posting, beneath the subject line you will see a horizontal list of ratings; G, PG-13, R, or No Rating.

The rating system is so that the bad, vulgar things in literature do not appear on the homepage of YWS.

• G - The piece is good, fresh and clean. No language, no violence. These will show up on the homepage.

• PG -13 - The piece is decent. Some mild swearing involved, maybe a touch of violence. These will show on the homepage as well.

• R - The piece isn't suitable for all audiences. The F word, sexual content, graphic violence and so on should be rated R. This way, it won't show up on the homepage.

Bad pieces do not need to show up on the homepage, because a few of our writers are under the age for mature content ;).

Eek! You have nice taste in music, I see. How cool! You totally fit in with us.

Don't like twilight? Ooh, lots of us don't. In fact! We've got usergroups for that as well.

A usergroup is basically just like a mini-club in YWS, where a bunch of people share the same interest-- in this case, not liking twilight. I'm pretty sure we've got music groups, too!

Werewolves are cool. Some of them -- lots of them-- are creepy. Have you ever seen the video for Impatient by We Are Scientists? Check it out on Youtube. You might like it :D.

So! How about you tell us more about you! What's your favorite book? Who's your favorite author? :D

Also! We have "About the Authors" section, where we each get our own thread to rant on and on and on about ourselves. And then, we get to read lots of stuff about each other. It's fun :D.

Check out the Lounge, too! We have lots of random fun stuff going on in there and in randomness. We writers are rather random people, can't you agree after your experience with us in chat? :D.

Also! Points.

Points are YWS's currency. We earn them by posting reviews and welcoming other friendly people in. In fact, it's really fun, because you can donate them to help other people get more, or sometimes people give some to you if you're generous. But! Don't hoard too many! Every few weeks, they're reset. They help to determine the next featured member, so, if they were never reset, then one person might be featured over and over and over again.

So! If you have any questions, feel free to PM me, or a greeter, or your mentor. Welcome aboard! I hope I don't scare you away with the length of this.

June :)
"I'd steal somebody's purse if I could google it and then download it." -- Firestarter

143 Reviews

Reviews: 143
Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:23 am
anti-pop says...

Hey Monday!

Isn't June a sweetheart? :D
I'm happy to welcome you to YWS!

Since everything else was already covered, I'll just chat a bit. :D
Fantasy is one of my favorite genres too! And horror is amazing! My personal favorite is Stephen King. Have you read anything by him? I'm currently reading Pet Sematary. Very creepy! And the same for me with gore - the more, the better! :P

You like Hollywood Undead? That's awesome! I love 'My Black Dahlia'. Alternative Rock is a really great music genre... so many good bands!
And Oh. My. Gosh. You like Death Note?? *hugs*
That's my favorite show! And Invader Zim! You, my friend, are officially awesome in my book.
Don't know if you like any other anime or not, but here's a great Manga/Anime Usergroup you can check out and join to obsess over that kind of stuff! (I'm a member - it's a lot of fun!)

Also, you will find you're not alone in your hatred for Twilight. This site is fairly split between Twilighters and Anti-Twilighters. But then of course, there are us neutrals. *points to self* :D
So you don't like vampires period? Not even Anne Rice's? At least hers were interesting. xD

Happy writing, and welcome to YWS!

~anti-pop
...Bitter cold, it grows
changing holds
cynicism the new norm...

-Libretto

280 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 280
Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:27 am
Nutty says...

Woo! Another gore-loving-anime-watching-twilight-hating-fantasy buff!
*pouncehug*

And with that, welcome to YWS. Come in, sit down, grab a cup of coffee and put your feet up.

You have had the rules and the rundown, I see, so I get to have the fun job. The random Welcome. You write fantasy, I assume? You should PM me a link to something of yours sometime. I have dwelt in the fantasy forums for a while. Recently branched out, but I still love a good fantasy.

By the way, the name is Nutty. Call me what you like, however. And have fun around YWS, I sure do! ^_^

*hands cookie*

Hope to see you around- maybe we can rant about the badness of twilight together.

-Nutty
It's not easy having a good time. Even smiling makes my face ache.

Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:50 am
Monday says...

Wow. I feel really welcomed! :)

I'm not allowed to read Stephen King anti-pop, but I've snuck around and watched some of the movies. Children of the Corn, The Stand and The Longliers are my favorite, horible graphics but hey, I still love it. :)

I've not read any of Anne Rice's books but Twilight ruined vampires for me for a while, sparkling? Seriously.

My favorite books are The Warriors Series by Erin Hunter, The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins and Catherine, Called Birdy by Karen Cushman. :)
Love of mine, someday you will die. But I'll be close behind, to follow you into the dark.
- Death Cab For Cutie

143 Reviews

Reviews: 143
Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:09 am
anti-pop says...

Aw, you can't read King? That's too bad! But good, at the same time. Not all of his stuff is...*ahem*...appropriate. My dad is just a huge fan of horror, so being the avid reader I am, I tend to get swept up along with his fandoms.

Anne Rice wrote Interview With A Vampire, which is also an amazing movie. I would definitely suggest watching that. Great film with vampires done the right way! :D

~anti-pop
...Bitter cold, it grows
changing holds
cynicism the new norm...

-Libretto

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:22 am
Demeter says...

Hi, Monday!

I adore your username! Monday is actually a very pretty word, although some of us might not like Mondays that much... :D But I'm sure everyone likes you! Welcome to YWS!

We're a bunch of absolutely amazing people, as you must have noticed already. Everyone here is so friendly and fun, this is almost like second home :D

Haha, anti-Twilighter. Great. There are many of us here ;)

So, how are you feeling? I see you've already done one review, which is superb!

Well, by now you know that people with blue name are official Greeters, but what you might wonder is, why haven't you gotten any greets from them? The thing is, for this week, Instructors (purple) and Greeters have switched places. :) We have kind of a little war on, which we're, of course, going to win. ;)

Hey, I'll see you around! PM or guestbook me anytime at all, I'm open for chatting and helping you out. Enjoy the site!

Demeter
xxx
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:27 am
Monday says...

Thank you, I adore Mondays! :)

I feel great and I'm finding YWS very addicting, :)
- Death Cab For Cutie

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:14 pm
Antigone Cadmus says...

Hey, Monday!

Well, it looks the rules have been explained to you already.

But...

:shock: You hate Twilight! *dances* You could come join our anti-Twilight usergroup if you want. We can rant about Twilight for hours. We're under the group name of Twilight Disposal Squad.

I love werewolves (I'm writing a story about them), too. I'm sad to know that Meyer ruined vampires for you. I know you said that you're reluctant to try Anne Rice, but trust me; her books are completely different.

You like Death Note, too? *le gasp*. You are officially amazing.

Welcome again to YWS!
Nice to meet you,
~~~Sakura~~~
Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
-Catullus, Carmen 85

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:46 pm
muffy says...

Thats interesting you don't like vampires but you like werewolves.lol thats cools. Great to have someone a fan of Mondays, personally I like Sundays and Saturdays=Weekend:D<3 Hope you have a hoot at YWS!!

312 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 312
Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:37 pm
Mars says...

Oh God, today, Monday, was a bad day. But welcome to the site anyway! :P

Anyway, you already know the rules, but goodness! Music, cats, writing Twi-hate - we have a lot in common! And, as some others have already pointed out, coulored names means staff, so you can always PM me if you need anything!

Unfortunately, we don't have a horror fiction forum yet, but there's a wonderful and very active fantasy fiction forum, ready to give your stories a happy home! If you ever need a critique, just let me know and I'll be happy to help.

Look forward to seeing you around, Monday! Like...in a week? ;-) (Before that, I hope.)
-Mars
'life tastes sweeter when it's wrapped in poetry'
-the wombats

critiques // nano

I am just curious-have I ever been on the bottom quote-thingy?
— foxmaster