z

Young Writers Society

'Allo!

Reviews: 4
Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:25 pm
bio-mechanic says...

Hello there!

About myself: I'm Freja (the 'j' is said as a 'y', if you didn't know), and I'm 16. I don't mind being called Bio or Mech either, but Freja is cool with me. I live in the UK.

I like to write dystopia, something which came about after part of my fantasy world began to turn into a police state. I separated some characters originally from that 'verse and made a 'near-future' one around them *ramblings*

My favourite book is...I don't know. It's hard. I like 1984, Fatherland, Going Postal, A Clockwork Orange, I Am Legend, A Handmaid's Tale, Fahrenheit 451, His Dark Materials, Dune and Of Mice and Men.

I like to speak different languages, and I am learning French as GCSE level and German, Russian and Serbo-Croat in my free time. I am doing A-Levels in Politics, History, French, English Literature and Russian. I hope to continue German whilst doing this and at some point learn Norwegian and maybe Finnish one day. I'm very interested in modern history, particularly conflicts, and I find politics very interesting. I like art and I draw quite a bit, even though I hate my own art.

I ramble a lot (as if you hadn't guessed!) :>

1334 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1334
Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:30 pm
Hannah says...

Hi, Freja! ^_^ Welcome to YWS. I'm sure some lovelies will be popping in here telling you about the 2:1 review ratio and the no chatspeak rule (they might even explain what different colored usernames mean!), so I'll just respond to some of the information you provided. ;D

I like to write dystopia, something which came about after part of my fantasy world began to turn into a police state. I separated some characters originally from that 'verse and made a 'near-future' one around them *ramblings*

My favourite book is...I don't know. It's hard. I like 1984, Fatherland, Going Postal, A Clockwork Orange, I Am Legend, A Handmaid's Tale, Fahrenheit 451, His Dark Materials, Dune and Of Mice and Men.

^_^ Mmmm, dystopia. Looks like I'll be reading some of your work then. It also looks like many of the books you adore are around the same kind of subject. I've read only seven of the ones you mentioned {the trilogy making up three of those}, but Dune most recently. ^_^ It's really kind of inspired me to try a bit of gentle science fiction in a story of mine. Haha, I can't do hard core... >_< Yet? -shrugs-

Anyways, welcome to YWS! ^_^ Let me know when you post any of your work. -nodnod-

-Hannah-

137 Reviews

Reviews: 137
Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:47 pm
Bittersweet says...

Freja! That's such a beautiful name! I've never known anyone with it before. My name's rather common. I'm Holly. If you don't want to call me that, you can call me Bitters or BS. ;)

You really seem to like books, eh? You've got a nice list there! As for dystopia, I've never heard of it! You should explain that to me sometime!

Anyway, we have a few rules here on YWS. They aren't very hard to follow. Hannah mentioned them, but I'll go through it all. The 2:1 ratio means that for every story, poem, script, ect. you post, you should do at least two reviews in return. The no chat speak rule is pretty self-explanatory. Because this is a writing website, we don't particularly enjoy 'i liek to typ lyk dis!!!!!' kind of writing. But I don't think you're going to have a problem with that! The different colored names seem a little complicated at first, but it won't be too hard to get used to. The names in blue are the Greeters. Their job is to greet new members of the site. They usually stick around this forum. The purple-named people, like me, are Instructors. Their job is to critique people's work and give lots of good advice. The light green are the Junior Moderators, and the darker green are regular Moderators. These people keep the site in order, making sure people follow rules and such. The red names are the site Admins. They're like the bosses of an office. :P And the orange names are the people who did a lot of service for the site, but had to go away temporarily, or even forever.

I know, that was a long explanation. Sorry. :P I totally understand that things are a little confusing at first, so feel free to send me a message if you ever get lost, all right? I'll be happy to help! You can also send me a message if you want anything of yours reviewed.

Have fun!
-Holly
eviscerate your fragile frame
spill it out in ragged form
a thousand different versions of yourself.

537 Reviews

Reviews: 537
Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:48 pm
Evi says...

Welcome to YWS, Freja! Cool name, by the way.

So, dystopia? Not quite sure what that is, lol, but I'll Google it or something. And His Dark Materials?!? I love that series! *sigh* It was fantastic. I cried at the end.

Rambling is good, trust me. We all do it a fair amout here on YWS. :wink: And it helps us get to know each other, too!

Alright, so I'll give you a quick run-down of the rules:

No chatspeak. You don't seem to use it so far, but that means no 'plz' or 'thnx' or anything. As a literary site, we strive to maintain proper grammar and capitalization and such. It's easy to adjust to, no worries.

We also have a 2:1 ratio here on YWS. This means for every work of yours that you post, you have to review two other people's writing. It keeps our ecomony running smoothly and stuff. ;) And this is the most important rule, so remember it or the mods might eat you.

Hehe. :lol: Just kidding, dear. No worries; mods are really nice!

So, see you around! Have fun on the site!

~Evi
"Let's eat, Grandma!" as opposed to "Let's eat Grandma!": punctuation saves lives.

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:06 pm
Antigone Cadmus says...

Dystopia? *hands cookies* That's one of my favorite topics!

Evi: Dystopia = opposite of a Utopia. In other words, a Utopia gone horribly wrong (or frighteners right).

Freja (I love your name, it's very unique), have you read A Brave New World (another dystopian).

You also share my favorite books (especially 1984 and A Clockwork Orange!)

Ha, you don't even ramble that badly. Some of us here on YWS can go on for hours.

I'd like to thank you for using proper grammar and spelling. Chatspeak isn't welcome here on YWS. We tend to be grammar nazis.

Here are a few other little rules:

-- Try to keep cussing inside the literary forums.
-- If your work contains vulgar content, rate it accordingly (i.e., and F-bomb = automatic R rating.)
-- Keep to the 2:1 reviewing ratio

I think you'll fit in just fine here.

Nice to meet you,
Sakura
Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
-Catullus, Carmen 85

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:10 pm
Clo says...

Hello Freja!

You sound like one amazing person, because I love dystopic storylines! A lot of my favorite books and movies have dystopic storylines. Have you ever read Brave New World? It's one of my favorite books containing a dystopia, it's classic literature, and I bet you would love it too!

And I also really, really love art. Who is your favorite artist? I'm a big fan of artists from the early twenty-first century... just wondering who you like!

Now for this site. What can I say about? How about that it's amazing? I felt like I had struck oil when I found this website, because it's such a wonderful community for meeting other writers and recieving constructive critiques that give you new insights on your writing.

My purple name means I'm an Instructor - a position members can apply for, BUT which comes with duties, such as it is my duty to assist you in writing and give you helpful, constructive and encouraging critiques on your writing! So, I'm always available to be contacted for a review, so feel free to shoot me a PM (private message) asking for a review with a link to a story and I will review it when I have free time. ;)

This site helps you meet new people, grow as a writer, and have a lot of fun taking part in the writing process. I hope to see you around!

~ Clo
How am I not myself?

106 Reviews

Reviews: 106
Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:13 pm
Princess says...

Hey Freja! Welcome to yewis! (hehe that's my word for YWS)

Wow! You seem very accomplished! I am trying to study French, but that isn't going to well :wink:

Drawing is so awesome! I personally write poetry, but if you ever want one of your drawings critiqued, pm me and I'll look out for your work!

Rambling is a sport on yewis :wink:

See you around!

-Princess

Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:31 pm
bio-mechanic says...

Thank you all for he welcome :>

Haha, I can't do hard core

I can't do hardcore sci-fi, either; or even worse, I write something and find out something in real-life like it already exists (for example, one of my characters has a mechanical replacement for her voice-box - it got burnt out - and I find out that voicebox transplants are being brought in),

Also, I've posted the first chapter of my dystopia-thingie:
post517885.html?highlight=#517885
However, the formatting has gone bonkers. I'll try to fix it in a second.

That's such a beautiful name! I've never known anyone with it before. My name's rather common. I'm Holly.

Thank you! It's Norse-Germanic; I'm Norwegian. Holly's a pretty name, I think: it's actually one of my favourite girl names.

And thanks for telling me the rules and such: it always helps to have them explained.

As for dystopia, I've never heard of it! You should explain that to me sometime!

So, dystopia? Not quite sure what that is, lol

Dystopia is also known as 'Anti-utopia'. However, some consider anti-utopia as something different - the people who live in it almost all love it, but we know that we'd dislike it. Brave New World is an example of anti-utopia in this instance. In general, dystopias are miserable and opressive, at least to some of the citizens, through segregation, police reinforcement, etc. They're normally set in the (near) future. 1984 is a dystopia. Sorry this is a short and bad explanation.

Freja (I love your name, it's very unique), have you read A Brave New World (another dystopian).

I want to read that one; I was going to buy a copy the other day, but it was quite expensive. I'll get one from the library.

I'd like to thank you for using proper grammar and spelling. Chatspeak isn't welcome here on YWS. We tend to be grammar nazis.

Hehe, you're welcome. I'm a bit of a Grammar Nazi, myself; only problem is that I tend to use emotes quite a bit.

And I also really, really love art. Who is your favorite artist? I'm a big fan of artists from the early twenty-first century... just wondering who you like!

I like Dali, Giger, Escher, Durer and Dore most, but it's hard to choose.

I am trying to study French, but that isn't going to well

French is a cool language; as with all languages, it starts off quite hard, but gets easier the more you learn. It's especially easy if you learn all the 'little words' and connectives and stuff.

Once again, thank you all for the welcome: it's much appreciated, along with explanations of the rules and stuff.

243 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 243
Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:58 pm
Blink says...

Greetings, Mech! Well, we need more Brits around here, so hop aboard. =D

Well, the rules have been somewhat, err, done with. So I'll just ramble about how cool YWS is and how cool you must be to have found it. It is coool. With three (yes, three) "o"s. As you may have guessed, many members are mad and after a few days, you are free to take the insanity test. If you have managed to stay sane, you should consult your local doctor.

Wow...!

1984, Fatherland, Going Postal, A Clockwork Orange, I Am Legend,

I love those books too! 1984 is, of course, one of the best books ever written. And Terry Pratchett rules. Let's be friends; you officially qualify. ^_^ Oh right, my name's Mark, or Blink, or Blinky: whichever you'd prefer is fine by me.

I like to write dystopia, something which came about after part of my fantasy world began to turn into a police state.

GAAAAHH! This is just wildly crazy (well, not really; I just feel special). I'm addicted to writing dystopia. Anything where the murder is the protagonist and I get to ramble about how there's no right or wrong and only anarchy is freedom. Again, let's be friends. This is how I got into writing dystopia too, although, I read 1984 and thought that that was amazing so you know. On those words, since I'm an Instructor with the cool purple font, I'd be pleased to have a look at anything you throw at me. Please let me know when you do! Oh right, you already have. xD Give me a minute and I shall have a look.

So, are you partial to any genre? I know you said dystopian fantasy, but what are the actual parts of that which you like? Do you do romance? Or dragons? Or battles through forests? Whatever. :wink:

So yeah! Welcome to YWS; I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have.

Best
Blinky
"A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction." ~ Oscar Wilde

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:12 pm
tori1234 says...

Hello! and welcome! Don't worry about the rambling, half of everybody on this site does it at some point! I hope you enjoy it here! I know I do! It looks like just about everyone above me has told you the rules, so I won't bore you by saying them again.

You seem very smart by learning all of those languages! I'm taking Spanish as of now and I'm hoping to learn French and German, (Spanish is my first priority, then French, then German, and so on.....)

Remember, if you need any help, you can as just about anyone on this site. We do service with a smile!!!!!

Have a fantastic day!

God Bless!
Nants ingonyama bagithi Baba
Sithi uhm ingonyama
Nants ingonyama bagithi baba
Sithi uhhmm ingonyama
Ingonyama
Siyo Nqoba
Ingonyama
Ingonyama nengw' enamabala

If you know what this is from, become my best friend. =)

Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:12 pm
bio-mechanic says...

Naw, I've always been mad myself: girl with crazy hair and short temper who talks in German constant, and reads, writes and draws far too much.

1984 is the books which keeps me sane, oddly enough; something to read when I need a distraction from the people. Terry Pratchett is indeed amazing; I was going to get a big illustrated copy of the Wee Free Men, but it was expensive D:

Fffft, I love writing it with the police-ish type people as my protagonists; I love getting into the heads of them.
I first read 1984 when I was younger, and it scared me senseless--I was paranoid for days after I finished it.

I don't actually write dystopia-fantasy anymore; it's generally futurist, although I'm working on developing a fantasy dystopia at the minute. Still, first and foremost is my current world. I particularly like writing from a point of view of the regime-enforcer-type-people, because I like seeing how they think and such. Also, I like to write about the relationship between the two main characters as they develop. I can't do romance for the life of me, but I still try to get small aspects of it in and stuff.

Anyway, being friends is coool (with three 'o's!).

EDIT: Oops, reply posted whilst I replied!

Thank you! :>
Spanish is a cool language; I learnt a little when I was in year 8. I find German easiest, personally, but that's just me.
...with my monocle.

1464 Reviews

Reviews: 1464
Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:52 pm
Juniper says...

Hey there bio mechanic! I'm June! Nice to meet you!

Haha, your name sounds all cool and scientific. Sweeet! (with 3 e's) You speak German!? I've been learning it since I was 8 years old, and still am not fluent. I'm not very consistent, haha.

On another note, the name Freja is really, really pretty. It sounds so elegant, it's pretty :).

Hmm... *looks at clipboard* Rules have been done, check. Check, check, check.

Ah, the points system! Basically, points are YWS's currency. It's how you earn your living on YWS. The most points you can earn per post is 50, so, the more posts you have, the richer you are.

But! You need points to post. It costs 150 to create a new post, but, you get 50 in return, so, you're basically only spending 100. But, you need 150 to make the post.

And, there's the reviews. A review must be at least 250 characters to count as a review. Other wise, it's just counted as another post. You gain stars as you review, and you gain ranks as you post. Here's the legends:

You start out with gold/yellow stars. People say they're yellow, but I like to call them gold. After all, they're hard earned and gold seems more royalty, like, you know?

5 Reviews = 1 Star
25 Reviews = 2 Stars
75 Reviews = 3 Stars
150 Reviews = 4 Stars
250 Reviews = 5 Stars

Then there's the blue ones. Sapphire ones to be exact.

350 Reviews = 1 Blue Star, 4 Gold Stars
450 Reviews = 2 Blue Stars, 3 Gold Stars
550 Reviews = 3 Blue Stars, 2 Gold Stars
650 Reviews = 4 blue stars, 1 Gold star
750 Reviews = 5 blue stars

Then come the rubies!

850 Reviews = 1 Red Star, 4 Blue Stars
950 Reviews = 2 Red Stars, 3 Blue Stars
1,050 Reviews = 3 Red stars, 2 Blue Stars
1,150 Reviews = 4 Red stars, 1 Blue star
1,250 Reviews = 5 Red stars

So! Get reviewing ;)
- -- -

And, the ranks!

New Member: 0-4 posts
Novice: 5-14 posts
Junior Writer: 15 - 49 posts
Writer: 50 - 99 posts
Senior Writer: 100 - 249 posts
Novelist *: 250 - 499 posts
Speaker of the Forum: 500+ posts
Master of the Forum: 1,000 posts.

* - When you reach Novelist, you are then allowed to have a custom title. A custom title shows up in bolded letters beneath your name.

Hm, if you have any questions, feel free to PM me or post them here. Welcome aboard!

June
"I'd steal somebody's purse if I could google it and then download it." -- Firestarter

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:36 am
Bloo says...

Wow! Its going to be hard to compete with all these long welcomes. So please don't mock my shortness.

Well welcome Bio. My names Ryan, but you can call me boltman, bolt or bolty or anything with the word bolt in it. Or any nickname for Ryan. But anyway back to you.

I hope you post stuff on here, and if its sci-fi ro fantasy i will read it most likely. Or a good fiction i'm cool with, or a some what cool poem. But-non fiction ryan no likey.

Well you already fave most info out, and i have no more questions. So well welcome.

but wait why are we talking there is a war going on here.

:smt072 :smt072 :smt072 :smt072 :smt072 :smt072 :smt072 :smt072 :smt072 :smt072 :smt072 :smt072 :smt072 :smt072 :smt072 :smt072 :smt072 :smt072 :smt072 :smt072 :smt072 :smt072 :smt072 :smt072 :smt072 :smt072 :smt072 :smt072 :smt072 :smt072 :smt072 :smt072 :smt072 :smt072 :smt072 :smt072 :smt072 :smt072 :smt072 :smt072 :smt072 :smt072 :smt072 :smt072 :smt072 :smt072 :smt072 :smt072 :smt072 :smt072 :smt072 :smt072 :smt072 :smt072 :smt072 :smt072 :smt072 :smt072 :smt072 :smt072 :smt072 :smt072 :smt072 :smt072 :smt072 :smt072 :smt072 :smt072 :smt072 :smt072 :smt072 :smt072 :smt072 :smt072 :smt072 :smt072 :smt072 :smt072 :smt072 :smt072 :smt072

Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:40 pm
bio-mechanic says...

Haha, your name sounds all cool and scientific

Yep; it's actually from the title of the Front Line Assembly song </lame>

You speak German!? I've been learning it since I was 8 years old, and still am not fluent. I'm not very consistent, haha.

Heh, today someone asked me to tell them 'What lovely weather we're having!' in German and I couldn't, because I wouldn't say that in English, therefore I'm not likely to learn anything similar in German x)

the name Freja is really, really pretty. It sounds so elegant, it's pretty

Thank you. It was Freya, but was going to b Freja, but my parents made the 'j' a 'y' to save me from a lifetime of 'It's Fre-YAH', not 'Fre-JAH'. I changed it back, though, because of cultural heritage, it sounds/looks nice etc., etc.

Thank you for explaining the points system and member ranks!

I hope you post stuff on here, and if its sci-fi ro fantasy i will read it most likely

Heh, I only really write both of them, particularly dystopia, which to me is generally an offshoot of sci-fi.

A war? xD
...with my monocle.

"I feel like if men sent unsolicited dragon pics instead of *other* unsolicited pics they’d get a lot further in life"
— ShadowVyper