The Buddy System Archives

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:13 pm
View Likes
Shadowlight says...

STILL ACCEPTING, SEE PAGE 5!

Spoiler! :
name: Shadowlight, Shadow, Slim Shady, Shady, and Hey-you! (I answer to all three) :D

what you write: I Write: Fantasy, Historical fiction, and childrens stories.
what you review: Any genera- I review pieces on characters and content not the "mechanics" unless it is hurting the readability of the piece.

what you read: Old classics, historical fiction, fantasy, and poetry (If it strikes my fancy.)

your "specialty": Multifaceted characters and being able to make their mode of speaking and vocabulary completely different from one another- Using archaic language to find just the right words to make description rich and layered without using sickly sweet words.

what times you are online: I am on in the evenings, always (I work during the day.) And my time zone is the Eastern USA Standard Time Zone. (I am an east coast girl!)

five random things about yourself:
1. I am hopelessly addicted to chocolate!
2. I love rainy days for writing on better than sunny.
3. I am a dyslexic and I have ADD so I understand being a writer with learning differences.
4.I like odd numbers better than even. (3 is my favorite number)
5. I am a girl but I like action adventure stories and movies better than girl oriented ones.

anything you'd prefer not to read: Slash fiction of any kind.

I hope if your looking for a buddy you will consider me!

~Shadow
Last edited by Shadowlight on Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"D*** the torpedoes! Four bells! Full speed ahead!"~ Admiral David Farragut

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:54 pm
View Likes
Twit says...

NOT ACCEPTING/ RETIRED

Spoiler! :
name: Twit (or any variations thereupon)

what you write: Mainly fantasy, although I'm branching out, and am currently trying my hand at something vaguely satirical and vaguely steam-punk.
what you review: Pretty much everything in Fiction (though not often Romance), very rarely Poetry, and almost never Scripts or Lyrics.

what you read: Pretty much everything! On my bookshelves, Stephen King sits right next to Sophie Kinsella. (Yes, my shelves are alphabetised.)

your "specialty": I tend to go through and pick out specific details, rather than give an overall impression. I usually focus on punctuation, awkward wording, characterisation and description. I'm pretty good at sniffing out Mary Sewage, too, but always with an eye to fixing, not just complaining.

what times you are online: Pretty much all day, GMT! I usually stay up pretty late as well, so you'll probably catch me sometime no matter where you are in the world.

1) I left the womb biting my nails
2) I love stripy socks
3) I obsess a lot, from learning Elvish to which spoon I eat dessert with.
4) I watch an obscene amount of film and TV.
5) I have no wardrobe.

anything you'd prefer not to read: No slash, no fanfiction that I'm not familiar with, preferably no Romance (though this may be negotiated) and nothing really graphic. Gore I like, but no sex.

Hola!
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

297 Reviews

Reviews: 297
Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:13 pm
Justagirl says...

NOT ACCEPTING/ RETIRED

Spoiler! :
name: Just or Alzora

what you write: Sci-fi novels and poetry, mostly.

what you review: Everything!

what you read: Science-fiction, fantasy, fiction, historical fiction, and classic books.

your "specialty": Well, I'm really good at reviewing art. Otherwise, I'm pretty good at punctuation for short stories and novels.

what times you are online: 9:30-12 AM (Eastern US Time Zone), and often 7:30-8:30 PM (Eastern US Time Zone).

five random things about yourself: 1) I like bananas even though I didn't used too. 2) I love horses. 3) I don't like pink but I like to make pink collages. 4) I windsurf and snorkel. 5) I've never been to Europe.

anything you'd prefer not to read: Hm... General articles are all that I'd rather not read. But I'll read them if someone would like me to.
Last edited by Justagirl on Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Just remember there's a difference between stalking people on the internet, and going to their house and cutting their skin off." - Jenna Marbles

~ Yeah I'm letting go of what I had, yeah I'm living now and living loud ~

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:55 am
Ktg17 says...

name: (what you want your buddy to call you) Anna, Ktg, K, 17, Ktg17.

what you write: I write Romantic Fiction, General Fiction, Lyrics, Fantasy, Action, Historical Fiction, Movie/Music Reviews, and Non-fiction. I'm also an amateur photographer and would like to try my hand at Poetry.
what you review: I review pretty much anything except scripts, but my poetry reviews leave something to be desired...

what you read: (published works, not on YWS) I am a teenager and a true romantic at heart, so I basically read sappy teen love stories. I also enjoy biographies, fantasy stories, and the newspaper :smt001

your "specialty": (eg: character development, punctuation in poetry, writing action scenes, &c.) I would say that I specialize in character thoughts. I excel at putting my character's thoughts in a clever way and really hitting hard on their mood. I write about many different characters, so it's always a lot of fun to, in a sort, "get into" my character's minds.

what times you are online: (include time zone!) I am not online very often, I must admit. Usually just one to two times a week. I am in the EST time zone.

1.) I play many sports including volleyball, basketball, soccer, and competitive swim.
2.) I love to sing and dance and just be crazy, especially with my friends :D
3.) I have a very large family that I love to death.
4.) As mentioned above, I am a true romantic. Anything sappy and sweet makes me melt :smt055
5.) I am a stickler for good grammar. My friends get mad at me sometimes because I correct mistakes in EVERYTHING I read. I can't help it! :D

anything you'd prefer not to read: I'm up for reading just about anything, but sometimes when I read things written with heavy- accent, I get bored.

I'd love to be your mentor! :D
Last edited by Ktg17 on Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Even if you see in black and white, think in color...

522 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 522
Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:35 am
Lavvie says...

NOT ACCEPTING/ RETIRED

Spoiler! :
name: Lavvie or Lav or Lavs... whatever floats your boat.

what you write: Fantasy Novels, General Fic Short Stories/Novels, Non-fiction, Historical fic...I try my hand at everything and some poetry.
what you review: Anything, but I prefer most poetry and short stories.

what you read: I like series and trilogies and the sort of books. I like Harry Potter and the Hunger Games, for example.

your "specialty": Punctuation. Period. And mind the pun. (Oh, and grammar.)

what times you are online: Mostly late-night, from 10 pm to 4 am PST.

five random things about yourself: I love Ireland, I'm passionate about Women's Rights, I'm an active member of Amnesty International, I hate chicken gizzards and I do yoga regularly. Also, young Leo DiCaprio is hawt.

anything you'd prefer not to read: Romantic anything. It kind of annoys me sometimes. And horror or "emo" poetry. I find it, to be honest, quite tacky.

What is to give light must endure burning. – Viktor Frankl

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:51 pm
Iggy says...

Name: Ariel, Iggy, Ig, Sock (Off-limits nickname :P)

What you write: Poetry, Fanfiction, Action/Adventure, Comedy, Romance, Suspense, Fantasy, Horror.

• PG, PG-13, R, and Unrated.

What you review: Everything. Well, everything that interests me. If I get bored, then I leave.

What you read: I read anything that calls out to me, captures my attention, and keeps me hooked. I also read the genres that I write, plus any FanFictions from books and movies that I adore.

Your "specialty": Imagery.

What times you are online: I live in North America. I'm usually on and off during the day on the weekends. On a school day, 4 p.m.-10 p.m.

Five random things about yourself:

1) I'm not a grammar-Nazi, but I'm exceptionally close. I will mercilessly correct you on everything that I find mispelled, misued, or misplaced.

2) I love to sing.

3) I am obsessed with Glee, The Big Bang Theory, Harry Potter, Pretty Little Liars, Zelda, Pokèmon, Kingdom Hearts, Percy Jackson and the Olympians, books, music, food, friends, laughing, school, sleeping, clothes, etc.

4) I am very random. You've been warned.

5) I try to be as friendly as I can through the internet, with a lot of smiley-faces and *hugs*. <3

Anything you'd prefer not to read: I hate to read a story with terrible grammar, punctuation, and spelling. And if it has little to no imagery. Imagery is my favorite thing in a story.

• Not so big on History, Sci-Fi.
Last edited by Iggy on Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

134 Reviews

Reviews: 134
Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:34 pm
sarebear says...

NOT ACCEPTING/ RETIRED

Spoiler! :
Hiya,

Here I am with a profile!

name: Sarebear or Sarah

what you write: Poetry, fiction, the occasional song
what you review: Mostly poetry and short fiction, some artwork

what you read: Anything with words...mostly fiction.

your "specialty": Mechanics (grammar, punctuation, sentence structure)

what times you are online: I'm on the east coast of America, and am usually online in the evening or after school, or any time on weekends.

five random things about yourself: I'm a singer and dancer, I wear glasses, I can quote large portions of Harry Potter, I can roll and handroll a kayak, and I love the color purple.

anything you'd prefer not to read: I'm not big on nonfiction.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll eat for a lifetime. Talk to a hungry man about fish, and you're a psychologist.

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:25 pm
Blues says...

name: (what you want your buddy to call you) Mac, Blue, Blues (I don't mind anything)

what you write:Novels, I'm also planning to write Poetry
what you review: Novels, poetry, short fiction, fanfic... anything :) even photography

what you read: (published works, not on YWS) Harry Potter, Twilight, Dune, Chaos Walking, the Nicholas series, North Child and many more :)

your "specialty": (eg: character development, punctuation in poetry, writing action scenes, &c.) Spelling, grammar and I've been told that my dialogue is good as well :) I think I'm OK in other areas too :)

what times you are online: (include time zone!) Pretty often. 6-10pm weekends and sometimes I go in the week end but nothing definite. I'm usually on a lot in the holidays which we have a lot of here. I'm in the GMT zone.

1. I'm very random
2. I love cooking
3. I want to be a journalist when I'm older
4. White chocolate is my favourite
5. Meow, I'm now a goldfish and not a rawring duck.

anything you'd prefer not to read: (eg: if you don't read slash, you might not want to buddy up with a Harry/Draco 'shipper, and so on) I'd prefer not to read any non-Harry Potter fanfic since I don't know other universes as well. I'd rather not do lyrics and I'm not too keen on historical fiction set before the 20th century.

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:15 pm
Katlyn67 says...

NOT ACCEPTING/ RETIRED

Spoiler! :
name: Katlyn67, Kat, K67

what you write: Poems
what you review: Poems/short stories

what you read: Avant garde, Neo sci-fi
your "specialty": Depends on the situation

what times you are online: GMT; 4:00-7:30
five random things about yourself: 1. I am a comic book collector
2. I have 10 sisters...no kidding
3. Every Monday is Snoochie Boochie day for me
4. I have a dog called Willis
5. I want to be a chef as well as a writer

anything you'd prefer not to read: Fanfiction, goth, emo, anime (sorry!)

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:42 am
HomelessPorcupine says...

NOT ACCEPTING/ RETIRED

Spoiler! :
name: (what you want your buddy to call you)

I have a lot of names! HP, Porc, Porcu and Home seem to be the most common. If you decide to call me something else though, I'll probably be fine with it.

what you write:

I love to write poetry. Other than poetry, I typically write general fiction and fantasy. I write some sci-fi, but not much.

what you review:

I mostly review fantasy and general fiction. I will review poetry, though I'm not too experienced with it. I don't review lyrics or art. I've never reviewed a script, though I will try if asked.

what you read: (published works, not on YWS)

C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien, Scott Adams, Calvin and Hobbes, Chronicles of Prydain, Glenn Beck, Sean McCullough, Tamora Pierce, Richard Lloyd Dewey, Ovid, Homer...

your "specialty": (eg: character development, punctuation in poetry, writing action scenes, &c.)

I usually give a general impression and then pick through the piece with general errors in mind. I'll usually focus on things like grammar, punctuation, spelling and the general flow of the story. I'll also comment on what I believe to be the strongest part of the piece and the weakest.

what times you are online: (include time zone!)

I live in the U.S.A. in the GMT. (Mountain Time Zone) The times I'm on really varies. I'm not on on Sundays and I'm usually on quite a bit on Saturdays. During the week it gets kind of crazy, though I will usually get on for an hour or so every morning around 7 or 8.

1. I really like limericks. They're great.
2. I had classes starting on a block schedule today, which I totally forgot about.
3. I've moved to different houses a large number of times in my life.
4. I'm serving a Mission for my church once I'm 19.
5. I like puns and limericks about porcupines. A lot.

anything you'd prefer not to read: (eg: if you don't read slash, you might not want to buddy up with a Harry/Draco 'shipper, and so on)

I will not read slash. I will only read fan-fiction I'm familiar with. I don't like to read anything with any type of swearing or sexual content. Gore is okay as long as there are no crazy and explicit details, e.g. a really detailed torture scene.
Last edited by HomelessPorcupine on Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I can't afford a teddy bear, so I sleep with this contact solution."

Taran: He will not succeed in this. Somehow, we must find a way to escape. We dare not lose hope.

Fflewddur: I agree absolutely, your general idea is excellent; it's only the details that are lacking.

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:17 pm
Skorpionne says...

name: Skorp'll do.

what you write: Poetry, fantasy novels, the occaisonal short story.
what you review: Poetry, and short stories at a stretch.

what you read: I don't diversify much. Fantasy novels are pretty much the only genre I can get into, though followed closely by historical.

your "specialty": Um...I'm fairly good at angsty character self-reflection?

what times you are online: I live in England, GMT, and I'm normally online at somepoint between 4pm and midnight on weekdays, and at any point during the day on weekends.

1) I am a red belt in Kuk Sool Won, a Korean martial art.
2) I can goggle my eyes.
3) I have a steadily growing heap of clutter by my bed.
4) I hate editing.
5) I run a club called the Chatspeak Assassins. (See siggie)

anything you'd prefer not to read: I tend not to read fanfiction, unless it's YWSfanfic. Non fiction bores me a little, as well. Other than that, I'm game.
I've learned so much from people who never existed - Unknown

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:06 pm
View Likes
LosPresidentes says...

NOT ACCEPTING/ RETIRED

Spoiler! :
name: (what you want your buddy to call you)Los

what you write: Pretty much whatever I feel at the moment.
what you review:Anything except those -shudders- 10 dollar romance novels.

what you read: (published works, not on YWS) Currently working on The Pride of People by Leon T.

your "specialty": (eg: character development, punctuation in poetry, writing action scenes, &c.)Prose Poetry

what times you are online: (include time zone!)Around 10am GMT

1.I hate pecans
2.I do not think Avatar was worth the price of my movie ticket
3.I think a lazer pointer is a perfect toy.
4.My family is from a long line of Prose Eddic Battle Poets
5.I'm tall.

anything you'd prefer not to read: (eg: if you don't read slash, you might not want to buddy up with a Harry/Draco 'shipper, and so on)
I quit

233 Reviews

Reviews: 233
Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:43 am
Chirantha says...

NOT ACCEPTING/ RETIRED

Spoiler! :
Name: Chirantha or C

What you write: Fantasy novels mixed with Action / Adventure
What you review: Any short story or novel, but not Historical, General or Non Fiction. Poetry is not my area of expertise but I'll try my best to review them.

What you read: Fantasy and Action / Adventure. I love to read books in which the main character is a person around my age or younger, rather than an adult. But if the story and plot is interesting enough, I read them. Such as Dan Brown books and Artemis Fowl.

Your "specialty": My specialty is descriptions and character descriptions within the story. I also tend to see each and every mistake or parts of the story that breaks the smooth flow.

What times you are online: IST (not in India though) Depends on the day. On weekends, the whole day if I can. On weekdays, it vary depending on the amount of school work I have. Here's my time zone, http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=389

1. I love reviewing much more than writing.
2. I'm a computer enthusiast
3. I act small and timid around people I don't know
4. I love cookies :D
5. My favourite movie character is Jack Sparrow, Savvy?

Anything you'd prefer not to read: Articles, lyrics and scripts... well, I have no idea how to review them.
Warden: "If you want to lead, all you have to do is ask."
Alistair: "What? Lead? Me? No, no, no. No leading. Bad things happen when I lead. We get lost, people die, and the next thing you know I'm stranded somewhere without any pants."
- Dragon Age

Need a review?

80 Reviews

Reviews: 80
Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:35 am
polinkacreations says...

This is outdated, see my updated post on page 4!
Last edited by polinkacreations on Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:55 pm
WrittenInStone says...

NOT ACCEPTING/ RETIRED

Spoiler! :
Name: Written, Wisp, Stone, Writteninstone... whatever floats your boat x]

What you write: Poetry, Short Stories and Fantasy Novels

What you review: Poems, Art and Photography, Short Stories and Novels depending on what kind and if it interests me. :)

What you read: Stephen King, Anne Rice, J.K Rowling, and so many more....

Your "specialty": Mainly writing poetry but I am also very good at writing fiction, I play in both fields and make certain that I don't use cliches and the normal fantasy aspects.

What times you are online: I am usually online after school which is around 2:50pm I am in Eastern Time :) Considering I live in Ontario, Canada.

1. I'm weird and love being unique.
2. I am bilingual, I speak both french and english.
3. I hope to publish the novel I am currently working on called "Renaissance."
4. I'm twisted and apparently hilarious - my jokes vary from good to horrible.
5. I am an aspiring author, and have published a few of my poems.

Anything you'd prefer not to read: I'm not a fan of scripts, romance, horror, non-fiction ... I believe that's all. x]

I'd be glad to mentor someone. x]
To fly away on gossamer wings, sheer as night's reflective glow, I would could I cradle child hecate to my breast.

|| Wisp. ||

When Larry King retires in 120 years John Mulaney should replace him.
— The Internet