z

Young Writers Society

Hi!

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Mon May 07, 2007 4:39 am
Twinflower says...

Hello everybody! I'm Twinflower. (twinflower=common name for Linnaea Borealis=the flower I'm named after, just so you know)

Anyway, I write a lot and my friends think I'm crazy to love writing. One friend says I'm so "proper" if I use a word that sounds slightly intelligent. It's frustrating. I've written a book but I'm not sure how good it is since the only person whose read most of it is my dad *cringe*. I also write lots of random poems and a few short stories that I never finish.

I live in a very pretty valley in Alaska, the Last Frontier (that sounds really cheesy!) It's May and I can still see a lot of snow-- but its only on the mountains. Yikes. At least it hasn't snowed this spring (yet). And... I like music and art and soccer but unfortunately soccer doesn't like me very much and my violin finds ways to make me look stupid--dang sixteenth notes!!! Maybe if I practiced more...lol. Don't tell my violin teacher.

Yeah, so that's all for now,

~Twinflower

101 Reviews

Reviews: 101
Mon May 07, 2007 4:52 am
sworddance says...

Wow, ANOTHER Alaskan!
We've been discovering recently that there are more of us than you'd think. You're number.... 5? including myself, of course. And that's just the number that I know of... I think someone said there are more. *prays that snow comment doesn't jinx it*
rofl anyway, welcome, from newbie to newbie, because I just joined the other day also.
And if you want review on your book, then this would be the place, heyla?
Btw, what genre do you write in? I do fantasy mostly myself, but the only thing I've posted so far is a mainstream fiction kinda thing. But hey, feel free to pm me when you post anything and I'll give you a review.
sooooo..... again, welcome!
and, bei'theh!

~sworddance
Drummer, beat, and dancer, fly
The floods of war are crashing nigh
Raise the mountain, blade the fire
And woe to they who voked your ire…
-----People do speak in semicolons; they just don't know it.------

Random avatar

Reviews: 3
Mon May 07, 2007 7:40 am
extrastapled says...

There do seem to be a lot of people from Alaska around here. It's funny, because I think we come here feeling special, thinking everyone's gonna be like, "Oh, Alaska, that's so cool!" Then, you realize half the people here are from the Last Frontier. Heh, that rhymes.

Twinflower wrote:One friend says I'm so "proper" if I use a word that sounds slightly intelligent. It's frustrating.

One of my close friends always gives me shit for that sort of thing. Every time I use a word he doesn't understand, or phrase a sentence in a way that might sound a little pretentious - unintentionally, of course - he always gets mad and asks me why I don't talk like a "normal person" :roll:

Welcome!

And, sixteenth notes are a real pain. I'm a violist myself, and we tend to get lazy because our parts are so easy, so we really have to scramble to get anything faster than an eigth note, lol.

252 Reviews

Reviews: 252
Mon May 07, 2007 8:46 am
Insomnia says...

Welcome to YWS. And I'd have to agree, I've met a few Alaskans on here and hear of several others. Alaska must have the writing gene or something. ;)

I can relate with what you say about being "proper." I don't know how many tiems I've said osmething in class only to be faced by a roomful of blank stares. I've learned not to talk much now. xD

Anyway, I hope you have fun on here. Look forward to seeing you around. See you,

-Mat

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Mon May 07, 2007 11:34 am
Emerson says...

Bonjour et Bienvenue!

Yeah, I think the Alaskans are trying to take over... *glares at Jennafina* I bet she started this! No, I love Jenna, even if she is planning to take over YWS with Alaskan mind slaves....

/weird rant.

If you need any help or get lost or something, feel free to PM me and I'll help you as much as possible =D I know how it is having friends who think it's odd that you write, but here every thinks someone who writes without proper grammar is weird so.... yeah. It's nice here xD

You play the violin? How cool! *randomly drops link for pro's music site* Check out this cool music forum! Musicality. Ha ha.

Have fun on the site!
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

410 Reviews

Reviews: 410
Mon May 07, 2007 12:03 pm
Alainna says...

Wow, I really like your name.....Linnaea Borealis, it's so funky!!!!
Is it you're real name or nick name or do you abbreviate it or something???

Anyways, welcome to YWS!! I'm positive you'll like it around here, we are quite friendly. :mrgreen:

If you need any help or crit or anything feel free to pm me, I'm nearly always lurking around here......and I'll be happy to help!

See you around,
Alainna
xxxxxxx
Sanity is for the unimaginative.

Got YWS?

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Mon May 07, 2007 11:04 pm
Twinflower says...

Fortunately, I only have the Linnea part of the name--not the Borealis part, thank goodness. I already have to deal with one name people can't pronounce!! The only nicknames I've had from Linnea are Naya and Naynay, both of which I haven't heard for a while.
I mostly write adventure/fantasy sort of things but the genre of my poems vary.

125 Reviews

Reviews: 125
Tue May 08, 2007 12:14 am
PerforatedxHearts says...

Hello, and welcome.

We're starting to get exotic with our names, don't you agree? =] Quite strange. The newer the better.

If you ever need anyone to edit your stories (I don't do poems, sorry), then I'm your (wo)man. Haah. I'm in the waiting line to be an Instructor, and they've told me to email back in early June so that they can say yes, so I might as well do what I can in the meanwhile.

Welcome! This website is pretty good to develope your writing skills. I bet you'll get better in no time (not that you're not good right now).
"Video games don't affect kids. If Pacman had affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills, and listening to repetitive electronic music." --anonymous/banner.

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Tue May 08, 2007 12:19 am
Lilith says...

Ha, not everyone's getting exotic in there names. I keep it simple. =)

Welcome Twinflower
Duffy -- "Watch out for Jesse, he wants what he can't have."
Emily -- "Oh boy, he can have me."
Duffy -- "Figures..."

Random avatar

Reviews: 82
Tue May 08, 2007 12:28 am
misspriss says...

Salutations and welcome Twinflower! It's good to have you!

I can't wait to see you 'round!

410 Reviews

Reviews: 410
Wed May 09, 2007 5:16 pm
Alainna says...

TwinFlower wrote:
Fortunately, I only have the Linnea part of the name--not the Borealis part, thank goodness. I already have to deal with one name people can't pronounce!!

Join the club! It takes some people ages to pronounce my name, I just interrupt them before they get in a worse tangle!

See you around!
Alainna
xxxxx
Sanity is for the unimaginative.

Got YWS?

Random avatar

Reviews: 87
Thu May 10, 2007 3:17 am
gymnast_789 says...

Hey there! Welcome to YWS!

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Thu May 10, 2007 7:31 pm
Foreseer says...

Bonjourno, amiga Twinflower!!

So happy you found our fantastic YWS!!

I'm really looking forward to reading your stuff!!

I know what you mean when your friends tell you your so proper for using a word that sounds intelligent. I try to avoid that, but it's just how I talk. 8)

Anyway, I'm Foreseer and I hope to see you around!!

Adios :wink:
~*~It's Not Faith If You Use Your Eyes ~*~
- Miracle by Paramore

514 Reviews

Reviews: 514
Wed May 16, 2007 11:37 pm
JC says...

Hello!

hehe, Alaska does seem to have the writing genes...we should so have a usergroup...Anyways...WELCOME!

hehe

-JC
But that is not the question. Why we are here, that is the question. And we are blessed in this, that we happen to know the answer. Yes, in this immense confusion one thing alone is clear. We are waiting for Godot to come. -Beckett

Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordy evidence of the fact.
— George Eliot