z

Young Writers Society

RE-DO/DO-OVER!!!!!

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:09 pm
Southern_Belle says...

Hey all!!!

I would like to take this time and space to let everyone know that I meant no harm by my last post, and did not intend to offend anyone or hurt anyone's feelings. I had no intention of criticizing this site or anything of the sort. I was merely voicing a first impression, and apparently, I had been taken the wrong way. I guess it was a bad idea to post an opinion so soon after becoming a member of the site. I'll be slower to judge things next time. So, just allow me to apologize for that mistake, (since I can't seem to delete the stinkin' thing!!) and tell you my real reason for being here.

I found this site as a link from an article in Writer's Digest Online. I thought it sounded interesting, and I decided to try it out, since I am in a writing course and I'm not getting the kind of feedback I want from my professor. (There are 12 other kids in the class that he has to worry about as well, lol.)

Anyway, I think it's a really great idea for young writers to be able to get together and review each other's work, especially since we don't always get the credit we deserve from agents and editors. (Believe me, I know. I've gone through that hell-hole!!! Sending ones work to an agent and putting oneself out there like that is a big step, and I got my toes stomped on. It wasn't a pleasant experience.) Sites like YWS give young authors a chance to gain the confidence to edit their work,make queries and submit their work to an actual editor or agent. In fact, I am currently in the process of looking for an agent to represent the collection of short stories that I am writing.

Now that that's been established, let me tell you a little bit about myself if you haven't yet had the chance to take a look at my bio.

I'm 18 years old, and I live in a really tiny town called Union City, Pennsylvania. It's about 25 miles southeast of Lake Erie. Right now, I attend high school at Union City Area Middle/High School, where I am a senior. After high school, I plan to attend college at Gannon University in Erie, PA to major in secondary education in social studies. I want to become a middle school American history teacher.

I LOVE history, especially American history and the US Civil War. In fact, I am a Civil War reenactor in my spare time, and I am involved with a unit called Cushings'/Taylors' Battery. It's an artillery unit (cannon), which portrays both Northern and Southern impressions, depending on the reenactment we're at. When we do Cushings' Battery (North impression), I portray a civilian nanny, which basically means that I watch the Captain's daughter, lol. When we portray Taylors' Battery (South impression), I portray one of two characters. If it's a living history, I portray Belle Boyd, a famous Confederate spy, and if it's a battle reenactment, I portray a Southern belle, who flirts with all the boys. Thus, I have my nickname, "Southern Belle."

In my spare time, (when I'm not writing or reenacting), I sing in my church choir and I hang out with my friends. I am also a competitive swimmer in my high school's athletic program. My times aren't all that great, though, because this is only my second year doing it, lol. But I love to swim the 500 yard Freestyle and the 200 yard Individual Medley. (Lol, I hope you know what they mean. . . they're events one can swim, if you don't.) My other activities include doing community service through my youth group. I am a senior leader in the group, and we're actually going on our very first mission trip this summer. We're only going to Cincinnati, but I'm still really excited!

And I guess that's about it. If you want to know more about me and my writing, you can either check out my bio, read some of my posts (not the one entitled "New Member with Strong Opinions," I hope :wink:) or you can visit my website. The link can be found on my profile page. You can also take a look at myspace. You'll have to request me as a friend first, though. (If you do this, please message me to tell me who you are, so I don't deny you!!!!) My myspace link is www.myspace.com/confederateangel122388.

My inbox is kinda empty, so if ya wanna send me something, I encourage you to, and I WILL get back to you!!! Okay, I think that's really it. So, uh, if you haven't already condemned me from my last post, please be my friend and I hope to see you around!!

Sincerest of sincerities,
Southern_Belle
"It is history that teaches us hope." - Robert E. Lee

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:15 pm
Via says...

Oo, what are you doing in Cincinnati??? *listens anxiously at the sounds of her home town*

You can't delete the post, but you can edit it if you wish....not that it matters now that you have posted this one.

Anyway, welcome again!
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:18 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

Cool! We have a lot in common!
I write, I looove acting (though I never manage to score any good parts), I sing in a choir, I used to be in a swim team (Medley and freestyle were my two best- I always got the freestyle part of the bargain with the medleys :) :P ).
You're still welcome to this site, and, uh, :giggles a little nervously: I just wanted to point out that on your first post, you said to "put the negativity AFTER the positive stuff" and you, uh, put what you didn't like about the site first in the post. It made me laugh. Sorry. I had to point that out.

Don't worry, be HAPPY!!!!!!
~Sumi ;)
ohmeohmy

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:52 am
Snoink says...

I can lock the last post, if you want. Only if you want me to though.

For YWS, there are several groups you're probably going to want to join, including "History Lovers" and you can do this by clicking on usergroups [manage]. The history there is kind of worldly and not just focused on the Civil War, but we'd love to have a Civil War historian there!

And hahaa... been there, done that with the professor thing. Still, you dealt with agents? I'm going to have to bug you about that. I have to go through a similar process very soon. O_o

Anyway, see you around!
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

You can't blame the writer for what the characters say.
— Truman Capote