z

Young Writers Society

*awkward newbie thread*

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:11 pm
Serieve says...

So since you like music, you must sing or play an intrument, right?

I don't actually love music, but I'm in the school band and take private lessons and etc. I'm an oboe-player, so... it's kind of odd. I did it for the scholarship, mostly. >.>

Not very noble, I know.

:roll: Oh well.

Reviews: 2
Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:32 pm
dittylicious says...

Oh my gosh! I play oboe too! That is sooo crazy!

Yeah, I'm in music education. I play oboe, piano, and I sing. I'm also hugely into acting and writing of course, plus collage art and other arts and crafts.

Believe me, I'm partially doing it for the scholarship myself, since you can't get the kind of money without being able to play an instrument, so I hear ya!
~*~Ditty~*~

"When we choose between reality and madness/It's either sadness or euphoria." -Billy Joel

http://dittylicious.blogspot.com

6 Reviews

Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:06 pm
Serieve says...

Wow! Talk about coincidences. Oboe players are kind of rare.

I tried a little bit of piano, because I like using my fingers more, but that didn't last long.

And I tend to sing loudly and obnoxiously at home, when no one's around. :o Especially after watching a musical that I liked.

Awesome.

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:45 pm
Meep says...

I noticed your username earleir. It's very nifty. (I'm reading Dorian Gray now, although I haven't gotten to the part you're refering to. I only just started it, but it's wonderful.)

Anyway, am always pleased to meet girls who use boys' names. (I'm often Mr Self Destruct.) :oops: Y'can call me Meep, though.

Pleased t'meetcha.

edit: Oh, oh! I played oboe for about two months until I was forced to quit because I had no musical talent and couldn't read music to save my life. :oops:
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:01 am
Meshugenah says...

Meh, join the ranks of those of us who tried piano and failed miserably!

Oboe, eh? All the oboe players I've ever met have been pretty awesome (and I'm usually stuck sitting next to them, too :P)! I play clarinet meself.

Oh, musical junkie! I won't get into that, now, though... much. Ever played in a pit? The most fun I've ever had while playing (sans band camp, but that's another story). What're your favorite musicals?
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:07 am
Emerson says...

You seem to be getting lots of attention, so I thought I would come take a look :-)

If you've read The Picture of Dorian Gray, by Oscar Wilde, then you'll know where the name comes from.

You know, I love Oscar Wilde and have read Picture of DG twice but can't exactly recall where this is from...though I do vaguely remember it. Does that mean you like OW? I wrote a paper on him (and posted it in the Nonfiction section, if you care to read) for my English class this year. He's great.

Anyhow, Bienevenue et Bonjour! I'm Claudette (with a list of nicknames I'll omit) and if you have any questions, need some help, or want a critique you can ask me. (I'm sure you have heard that enough now to have you bleeding out the ears.) I'm also the Mod of the fiction section so if you come across anything there like double posts, a fight, or what not then also give me a shoot.

Glad to have you with us :-D
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:11 am
dittylicious says...

Oh man, where to start with all this stuff?

Well, Meshugenah, I was in pit this last summer for "Beauty and the Beast," and I simply LOVED it! :-D Thank you soo much for the awesome comment about oboe players, too! I definitely am a fan of all my oboe friends here as well.

During marching band, I was actually a member of the colorguard, so yeah, I had most musical fun in pit, but I was on stage much more often.

My favorite musicals are probably Music Man, The Sound of Music, Avenue Q, and The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee, but there really isn't anything I don't like!

I played Amaryllis in Music Man, it was so much fun!

Meep, that's cool that you played oboe for a while! It takes all kinds to make a world, so we can't all be musicians, but I could never imagine being like a scientist or something, so I'm sure I'd get kicked out of a biology class or something, haha.

Also, I read Dorian Gray in school last year and loved it. It's so powerful and wow, Oscar Wilde, wow. I love him.

So yeah, here's the end of my babblings, at least for a little! haha ;-)
~*~Ditty~*~

"When we choose between reality and madness/It's either sadness or euphoria." -Billy Joel

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:34 am
Meep says...

Claudette, this is actually this the first I've read by Oscar Wilde (*shame!*) but Mom got me his complete works and biography from the library. He is quite fascinating.

(Sorry to wander off topic, your highess. :wink: )
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

6 Reviews

Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:34 am
Serieve says...

Oscar Wilde is actually not my #1 favorite, but he got me into reading more classic literature, and I enjoyed DG.

My best friend plays clarinet. ^^ I typically end up in pit, because colorguard just isn't my thing (me and flag poles? Nooo). Even with all the complaints we get, it's fun.

Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:35 am
dittylicious says...

Haha that's totally awesome! Needless to say, the vast majority of my friends are musicians here......my best friend on campus plays flute!

Colorguard was something I got into I think because I'm no good at most sports, and really professional dancing was never my thing, and I saw this as happy medium! haha

So hey, if there's any writing you want me to look at, by the way, I'm more than willing to! It seems like we got more into music than writing here, lol!
~*~Ditty~*~

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:40 am
Myth says...

Welcome!

Never too late to greet newbies. I'm Myth, I used to play the clarinet and will take it up again someday.

You'll love YWS, so many friendly people around and Mr Green is the best :mrgreen:
.: ₪ :.

'...'

When you cut pieces out of the truth to avoid looking like a fool, you end up looking like a moron instead.
— Robin Hobb