z

Young Writers Society

Just a peck of the keys

Reviews: 0
Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:40 pm
Jedi_Amara says...

OK, so I don't really talk like that.

Most of the time, anyway.

That's probably because penguins don't talk. You see, I'm a penguin. You know, those birds that can't fly.

Fly? Well, we can fly through the water, I guess.

Wait. What do you mean, how am I typi-

Oh ****, I forgot. So people tell me I'm a human these days. Fat lot of good that does when my mind's full of krill all the time, in more ways than one. Mmm, krill, they really are delici-

AAARGH! LEOPARD SEAL! RUN!

*pushes penguin away from the keyboard*

Ahem. Apologies for that, my penguins like to take over the keyboard on occasion. In any case, I thought I'd just introduce myself briefly. Like my penguins, I do not normally say "wazzup, mah homies?"; unlike my penguins, I am not black and white and feathery. (Wait, do penguins have feathers? Check that.) I'm not feathery, anyway, whether my penguins are or not.

I am human. (I think.)

My penguins are only plush toys. I do have many of them.

I'm a 17-year-old girl currently resident in Melbourne, Australia. I say "currently" as though I move around all the time; I don't. I've lived in the same house all my life. I start my third year of a combined software engineering and mathematics degree in three weeks. I'm looking forward to that, as my holiday work has been incredibly unproductive and thus boring. If you wish to shorten my name, please use "JA" rather than "Jedi"; the latter is rather impersonal. I have wanted to write for many years, but it's not my life; music is.

I've been writing as long as I can remember; I wrote a Bananas in Pyjamas fanfic when I was six, though of course I had no idea what fanfiction was back then. I think the first time I really fell in love with writing and knew that I always wanted to write was when I was seven, when my grade 4 teacher set us the task of writing a short descriptive piece, and the returned work had "You paint a picture with words" scribbled at the bottom. I still have that workbook somewhere. Since then I have written when I can, though I've had some blocks for the last couple of years. I entered some short stories in local youth competitions through the last few years of high school and won minor prizes in those; I also occasionally write fanfiction, usually Pokémon. My older work (up to 2005) is archived on my own website and fanfiction to the beginning of 2006 is hosted on fanfiction.net, but since then I have finished nothing and it does not appear on the web. I'm currently working to overcome my blocks and finish at least some of the works I have in progress.

I primarily write short stories; I started a couple of high fantasy novels, then realised just how poorly I was writing them, and left them to go over later. I'm trying to properly outline them in the hope of fleshing them out properly so they don't implode without warning. My short stories are almost all comic fantasy, though my influences range from comic fantasy and sf (Pratchett, Adams, Anthony) to epic, high and YA/children's fantasy (including but not limited to Martin, Duane, Pierce), British/Celtic/Norse mythology and good old-fashioned comic writing, Wodehouse in particular. I recently returned to trying to write a novel, but this one is a real-life setting rather than a fantasy world.

Uh, I'm rambling. Sorry. Should probably wrap it up here.

~JA
Jedi_Amara // www.ryux.net

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:35 pm
Cade says...

Welcome, JA!

*hugs penguins*
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

368 Reviews

Reviews: 368
Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:32 pm
Shine says...

Hehehe.... I love penguins!

Hi, I am Ani.

Welcome to the site!

Would like to read your work.

see u around.:)
"A good plot is like a dream.If you dont write down your dream on paper the moment you wake up,the chances are you'll forget it and it'll be gone forever"-Roald Dalh.

72 Reviews

Reviews: 72
Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:51 pm
luna_the_shiekah says...

Yay Penguins! Welcome to the site JA. I look forward to seeing some of your work. And more of your diabolical penguin army too ;)

LUNA
I cannot name this
I cannot explain this
and I really don't want to
just call me shameless.

-Ani Di Franco "Shameless"

Reviews: 0
Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:55 pm
View Likes
Nagem says...

Come on, who doesn't love penguins?
Welcome to YWS
I'm not a very good writer, but I'm an excellent rewriter. ~James Michener

The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug. ~Mark Twain

571 Reviews

Reviews: 571
Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:00 pm
Esmé says...

Woot for penguins !!! -Lol, welcome to YWS, hope you have fun. If you have any questions feel free to PM,

-elein

116 Reviews

Reviews: 116
Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:33 pm
Lilyy03 says...

Penguins!!! YAY! :D

Welcome to the site! Hope you enjoy it. I look forward to reading your work!

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:52 pm
View Likes
HeadInTheClouds says...

Welcome to YWS!
Penguins are just so cute and cuddly, aren't they?
If I don't write to empty my mind, I go mad. ~Lord Byron

Captain Jack is back May 25!

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:20 am
View Likes
Griffinkeeper says...

In a turkey, there is a rubber ducky.

Are you searching for the secret cheese?

The eyeballs see your sound.

Welcome to YWS!

Which of these sentences isn't like the others?
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:58 pm
-KayJuran- says...

*is confused by Grif's riddle...*

That's going to bug me all day, you know. Hmm...

So exactly how many penguin-human hybrids do you have there then, J? Sounds like a lot!

Oh, and I love the avvie! Looks like something that my friend watches - do you know where it's from?

Well, I'll see you around. Feel free to PM me whenever, just don't expect a speedy response for a while.

Tschuess!

Kay.
"There you go - sausages à la bread!" - Blue.

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:58 pm
niteowl says...

Welcome JA, and welcome to all your penguins as well!!!!!!!! HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERE'S YOUR GIFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :) :( :o :shock: :? 8) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :wink: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :| :mrgreen: :elephant: :D :) :( :o :shock: :? 8) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :wink: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :| :mrgreen: :elephant:
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

It's unsettling to know how little separates each of us from another life altogether.
— Wes Moore, The Other Wes Moore