z

Young Writers Society

If rocks could fly...

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:03 pm
If_Rocks_Could_Fly says...

...the world would be a better place. My name is nick and i am a new member (obviously) who has found this site very interesting for the past week so I decided to join. I've been writing fiction in some form or another since I was 13 and have just completed one of the larger pieces I've ever written (21 pages, 12 font, double spaced). I'm still trying to expand it further, so I guess I really would not call it "complete", but the whole balloon is there so I just have to blow it up if you know what I mean.
I live in the northeast USA, like all kinds of music but mostly metal (European please, to put it nicely, most of the American stuff is not what I would call good metal i.e. the metalcore, emo, and nu metal scene, but there are a few exceptions), and I like books obviously or why would I be into writing? I'm a fan of Franz Kafka, and my writing style/topics tend to reflect his. I also get a lot of inspiration from music, as I'm sure a lot of you do too. So that was my intro, I look forward to writing.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:09 pm
Emerson says...

Welcome!

Kafka you say? *rolls in excitement* I love Kafka :-D I'd really like to see your work, if you say you reflect his style. Though that isn't always a good thing to reflect someone else's style, unless you can do it subtly and still make it your own... *sometimes has that problem* otherwise you come off sounding like a very weak Kafka :-)

What stories have you read by him? Any other authors you like?

If you have any questions, needs some help finding your way around, or want a critique go right ahead and contact me, And I'll do my best!
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

10 Reviews

Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:42 pm

When I say I reflect Kafka's style, what I mean is that back before I even knew who Kafka was people who read my writings would mention that some of my stuff was similar to Kafka's work, mostly in the situations the characters were in. I started reading The Metamorphosis and have loved Kafka ever since, which I must confess has been less than 3 months. The majority of the story I mentioned in the original post was completed before then, but I put that story away to work on another one because I could not figure out an ending for it. Then at long last a couple weeks ago the ending just came to me. Understand that I don't try to sound like Kafka when I write, it just happens for whatever reason, or so some have told me.
I like Tolkien, Bradbury, a lot of the classic authors, but I also like new authors like Margret Weis and Tracy Hickman who wrote the Dragon Lance Trilogy.

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:08 pm
Poor Imp says...

If_Rocks_Could_Fly wrote:[...] Bradbury, a lot of the classic authors, but I also like new authors like Margret Weis and Tracy Hickman who wrote the Dragon Lance Trilogy.

...Well, one must like something of Bradbury's. ^_^ I can't argue with Tolkien.

In other words, welcome to the site! I see Mlle. Clau has gotten her already... But I suppose I get to be the honourary moderator welcome. ^_~

Post your writing, if you like - I'm more than curious about the Kafka-esque tone/style from someone who hadn't yet read Kafka when he started.

IMP ^_^
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

10 Reviews

Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:35 pm

I'm just curious, is there a limit to how long a story can be on this forum? Is there a point at which you would want the story to be split up into parts?

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:36 pm
Poor Imp says...

If_Rocks_Could_Fly wrote:I'm just curious, is there a limit to how long a story can be on this forum? Is there a point at which you would want the story to be split up into parts?

There's no official limit. But as far as getting comments/readers? You may want to keep it to two to five pages at most, in one go. ^_^

IMP
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:23 am
Cassandra says...

Hi there, and welcome to YWS! PM me if you have any questions, and I hope you enjoy the site. :D

--Cass
"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."
-Chuck Palahniuk

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:33 am
niteowl says...

Someone once said "Beware of Greeks bearing gifts." Well, I may be (1/2) Greek, and I may bear gifts, but you don't have to be wary of me. Promise *crosses finger* haha jk.

:D :) :( :o :shock: :? 8) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :wink: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :| :mrgreen: :elephant: :D :) :( :o :shock: :? 8) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :wink: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :| :mrgreen: :elephant:
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names.
— Chinese proverb