z

Young Writers Society

Why don't you guys critique my stuff?

129 Reviews

Reviews: 129
Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:14 pm
Mattie says...

Just a question. I seem to be getting zero replies and one at the most. Tons of views! No replies. I also critique peoples writing so don't say, "Oh, well, maybe if you would critique other people's poems/stories they'd critique yours." Don't give me that crap. :)

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:25 pm
Nai says...

Maybe all your submissions are perfect and don't NEED critiquing... :D

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:27 pm
Tessitore says...

I happens to all of us. We all feel the same way. Believe me on this.

And I'm going to take the time to point the finger of blame at the Tavern. People are more interested in role playing then critiquing these days. If you want to role play, go to rpol.net or something. Nyah. I'm still b*tchy about it.
I'm not even angry... I'm being so sincere right now.
Even though you broke my heart.
And killed me... And tore me to pieces.
And threw every piece into a fire.
-"Still Alive"- GLaDOS

43 Reviews

Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:30 pm
Nai says...

Oh c'mon... you and Brad blame The Tavern, but have you even looked at it?

Only people who are really involved in the Tavern are me, Hunter, Emma and Bobo.

Don't blame the Tavern for people not commenting on your work.

43 Reviews

Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:33 pm
Nai says...

And another thing, what about the Writing Activities? Look at all the posts and views there compared to The Tavern.

3,149 posts... 29 TOPICS

And The Lounge... 4,475 posts... 192 topics.

915 Reviews

Reviews: 915
Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:46 pm
Incandescence says...

Then explain the decline of posts in ALL of the Literature sections while those in The Tavern increase exponentially. I admit, I dislike the Writing Activities part of the site as well, as it detracts from the critiques; however, it is a *writing* activity and can potentially boost a writer's vocabulary, perceptions, etc. The Tavern can not.

At any rate, I, personally, tend to stick to the Dramatic Poetry section, as is evidenced by the overwhelming amount of posts I've made there. Lately, I've been branching into the others, and tend to read Romantic Fiction. I will be on the look out for your posts, Mattie, and apologize for the negligence of myself and the other writers on this site.

EDIT:

I just looked through your posts (Well, the Romantic Fiction post, anyway), and I am going to suggest that you not post things of monolothic proportions all at once; for example, Silent Kisses, could have been separated into three separate parts, which would make it much easier on readers. No one likes to start a story and come back to it later (especially online). And, I know you don't want to hear this, but by critiquing other people's work, you will become well-known and therefore a much more desirable author than opposed to, say, a fatty water buffalo wallering in some murky pool with mud/slime all over your face/body, who signs on to YWS and laughs condescendingly as he reads all of our prophetic chickenscratch.
"If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders." -Hal Abelson

665 Reviews

Reviews: 665
Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:22 am
Chevy says...

It also takes time for people to get used to you.
when there's nowhere to go, it's time to grow up.

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:38 am
Ego says...

Incandescence wrote:Then explain the decline of posts in ALL of the Literature sections while those in The Tavern increase exponentially. I admit, I dislike the Writing Activities part of the site as well, as it detracts from the critiques; however, it is a *writing* activity and can potentially boost a writer's vocabulary, perceptions, etc. The Tavern can not.

Actually, Brad, the Tavern CAN improve your writing-- by describing charactera and how they speak, interact, etc, you can dicsover new things about them, become inspired to write a story, imporve your vocab by fiding new words to use, etc. If you do it right, it IS a way to help with your writing.
Got YWS? I do.

Lumi: Don't you drag my donobby into this.
Lumi: He's the sweetest angel this side of hades.

Random avatar

Reviews: 1160
Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:58 am
Elizabeth says...

Maybe your stuff just sucks and the people don't want to break it to you....

NO I AM KIDDING I like your stuff...

I am just horrid at critiquing... which is why I don't do it much. Sorry I should be more.... of a SIMON then

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:43 am
Tessitore says...

Hunter wrote:
Incandescence wrote:Then explain the decline of posts in ALL of the Literature sections while those in The Tavern increase exponentially. I admit, I dislike the Writing Activities part of the site as well, as it detracts from the critiques; however, it is a *writing* activity and can potentially boost a writer's vocabulary, perceptions, etc. The Tavern can not.

Actually, Brad, the Tavern CAN improve your writing-- by describing charactera and how they speak, interact, etc, you can dicsover new things about them, become inspired to write a story, imporve your vocab by fiding new words to use, etc. If you do it right, it IS a way to help with your writing.

You know, you can go to other sites for role playing. This is a writing site. I'm furious that there's an RPG on it.

And yes, I did tried it out, and quickly left. I've always had a strong dislike for RPG's, but there are THOUSANDS of sites DEDICATED to it. So why don't you go there?
I'm not even angry... I'm being so sincere right now.
Even though you broke my heart.
And killed me... And tore me to pieces.
And threw every piece into a fire.
-"Still Alive"- GLaDOS

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:53 am
Ego says...

I do.

Actually, I do not think the Tavern has that much impact on whether we review or not...people just prefer to have theirs read rather than read others...
Got YWS? I do.

Lumi: Don't you drag my donobby into this.
Lumi: He's the sweetest angel this side of hades.

481 Reviews

Reviews: 481
Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:44 am
Bobo says...

I rarely visit the poetry sections, but as I have more time I'll probably get around to reading the stories. I have a tendency to shy away from posts of any considerable length...

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:45 am
Nate says...

Mattie, I took a look at what you posted, and what you need to do is split up most of your stuff into smaller sections; take one story and split it up into three or something like that. Also, take the time to space your paragraphs; it is a pain and it does take a while, but more people will take the time to read what you have written as it is more aesthetically pleasing.

I also went through your posts, and if you really want more reviews, then you will have to critique more. So far, you have made nine reviews; I'd suggest if you want your stuff to be more widely read to boost that number of reviews to five per day. When I used to post stories on writing sites, I'd make 10 to 15 reviews per day and still only get six or seven reviews on a piece that I wrote (usually published one piece per week, so that's about twelve reviews I made for every one that I got).

You can also pm people; telling them "Hey, I reviewed your work, could you please review mine?"

But, what you do not want to do is to start a topic like this one; it accomplishes nothing and annoys others. Instead of saying, "What's wrong with you?" ask, "How can I get more reviews?"

As for the Tavern and reviews, I've taken a look at the issue and have found absolutely no evidence that the Tavern has lead to a decrease in reviews. Some assume there is, but there's no evidence or statistical data to back it up. I've actually crunched the numbers based on the data I compile, and have found no correlation between the two.

Follow your passion. Stay true to yourself. Never follow someone else's path unless you're in the woods and you're lost and you see a path. By all means, you should follow that.
— Ellen DeGeneres