stroking my disrupted conscience,
telling it,
I will be okay.

I just don't want to spend,
another night,
in that dusty old house,
so full of stagnant memories.

Spoiler! :
All right, I'm no poet, it doesn't rhyme and it barley flows, but I felt the need to wax poetic, even if only once...so what do you think?
Last edited by Justlittleoleme on Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:57 am, edited 5 times in total.

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:48 am
creativityrules says...

Hello there!!!

I really like this poem! I love the concept of what you wrote about here. Actually, this poem is quite refreshing, at least to me, especially in the first two stanzas. There are a few things that I think could make it even better than it already is, though.

I step out,
barefoot,
into the cold morning grass,
glad to have made it through,
another night.

This is a nice stanza. The only thing that I think would've made it better is if you would've used another word than 'glad' in the fourth line. I feel that, although the word 'glad' serves its purpose, it isn't the most vibrant word you could've used. Perhaps a more unique synonym for that word would've done a better job here.

The pale air strikes my senses,
and I let it fill me,
like pure water pouring into,
an old cracked vase.

This stanza is my personal favorite. I adore the way that you compared yourself to an old cracked vase. Sometimes, when you're feeling down, that's exactly what you feel like: something broken and cracked and shoddy that needs mending. So, good job here.

I walk out across the lawn,
feeling the dew as it collects
and lays heavy in the soft clean fabric,
of my night clothes.

I don't like this stanza nearly as much as I like the rest of your poem. It may be just a personal preference, but it's how I feel. While the rest of your poem captured the dreamy grogginess felt when one wakes up, I feel like this one's too blunt and plain for my liking. Still, it's not bad work. I just don't like it as much as the others.

Overall, awesome work with this poem! I look forward to reading more from you.

Keep writing! :)
“...it's better to feel the ache inside me like demons scratching at my heart than it is to feel numb the way a dead body feels when you touch it."

-Brian James

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:17 am
Justlittleoleme says...

Thanks so much, I'm actually a little relieved that somebody liked it. I don't really consider myself even remotely poetic, I'm more about descriptive writing, but there are those times when I get the poet bug and I just have to write something like this or I'll expload... or something a long those lines! XD

I took your advise and changed glad to relieved...it actually fits the mood a lot better, so I have you to thank for that ;)

I went ahead and removed the difficult stanze...there just didn't seem to be anyway to make it work right...

Random avatar

Reviews: 100
Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:03 pm
NaRachel says...

I love the "meh... I felt poetic" that is something I would say. I'm not a regular poet either but I thought it was good! I'm going to take it stanza by stanza; your first stanza has this great appearance of simplicity however it has this underlying clever tone that almost knows that it's dramatising the whole thing. I might consider putting "another night" on the same line but I'm not too sure.

Your second stanza is good, you're really developing a refreshing and cold like dew image.

Third stanza is good, you had nice timing in starting to describe what's happening because up until now it's all been descriptions of objects so I think you left it just enough time to introduce human thoughts into it.

I LOVE this stanza:
Frustrated, I brush them down,
stroking my disrupted conscience,
telling it,
I will be okay,

It's absolutely brilliant. I love the idea of a conscience being this animal that needs to be tamed, and I love the idea of telling "it" I will be okay. Because to be honest I do that all the time (just today i was constantly repeating in my head, it's okay, it's okay, i'm okay, i'm okay).

Your ending stanza is also really good, giving some detail away while still leaving it open to interpretations. The idea of stagnant memories like dust is also a great one so well done!!!

I think you did really well ! Even if it wasn't the most technical of poems, but hey we all write because we FEEL LIKE IT. When I write poetry I'm not thinking about how many syllables are in each line or if I'm meeting the requirements of a sonnet I just write what I FEEL. It seems like you have done that and the result is great! Maybe you should try poetry again and the technical stuff may just come naturally after a while (that's what I'm hoping) :) -Rachel.
"You grow, you grow like tornado
You grow from the inside
Destroy everything through
Destroy from the inside
Erupt like volcano
You flow from the inside
You kill everything through
You kill from the inside"

30 Reviews

Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:56 pm
Justlittleoleme says...

Thanks a million for the review!

Though I have to admit that I am without doubt, a free verse girl, there will be times when I break down and write a poem that follows the rules. When I'm do this its more for fun than anything. For the most part, I feel that free verse allows for the most feeling and expression. Like you said, we write because we feel like it. ;)

319 Reviews

Reviews: 319
Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:40 pm
View Likes
Jashael says...

Hey, Justlittleoleme! I'm a poet. But my poetry isn't traditional poetry. I write songs. So yeah... I don't think I'm very good with traditional poetry, esp. in reviewing 'em. But since you've requested a review, I will try my best to... well, um, review it, I guess! But before everything I just wanted to point out your title:

A new morning, after another night...

Is this the title? Well, I'm feeling a bit nitpicky about it. As far as I know, it's OK to use a comma in a title. Though I cannot really give you a reference since I just can't find one to confirm it. But I would like to ask you: Do you think the comma is that necessary? One thing I'm sure of, the ellipsis sure isn't!

A New Morning, After Another Night

Moving on.

The structure is probably what bothers me; the usage of comma<?>. I think entering into a new line would be enough, and not putting a comma at every end of the line. The commas kind of acted like barriers, I don't know, esp. here:

in the cold,

And here:

I will be okay,

But setting that aside, I did like this very much! I don't know how to properly put my thoughts into words about how I feel in it. But I did like your imagery. It was a short poem, still it dazed me a bit. I read it twice. Not because I did not understand it the first time, but because I wanted to enjoy it again. Honestly, I really like this. It was a smart move for you to follow that poetic whim of yours. I do think it won't be long till you feel that impulse again and write a poem people will enjoy. I sure enjoyed it. I'm sorry if I didn't say much. I'm scared of touching people's poems. It's freedom, if you know what I mean. That's why I usually keep it subjective. And I am admitting that this comment is only subjective. So yeah... KEEP WRITING! And have a blessed day!

~ Jash B.
“I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen:
not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.”

—C.S. LEWIS

My SPOTIFY page
Facebook
Got a life?

30 Reviews

Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:09 am
Justlittleoleme says...

Thanks for the review Jash! XD I made the appropriate changes, though I kept the ellipsis since to me it indicates thought and the title is a thoughtful one...I'm not sure that quite makes sense though "shrugs shoulders* I understand what you were saying about reviewing other peoples poems, its just such a personal form of writing, in some cases its almost pure emotion, and can you really review emotion? Thus, reviewing another person's poem can be a little difficult, So thank you, for taking the time out of your day to do so.

-justlittleoleme ;)

155 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 155
Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:54 am
Arcticus says...

Beautifully written!!! And you say you're not a poet???? COME ON.. Then all this stuff is carelessly poetic.... Believe me you can write poems... I could tell it from the first look at the poem... :)

This line gives me that 'Deja Vu Feeling'... I've been through this too :

....relieved to have made it through,
another night....

Another day is another war. Keep writing ! :)
You either worship something higher than yourself or end up worshiping yourself

Naturally Tipsy ©

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:59 am
View Likes
youngtalentkritz says...

a very nicely phrased poem indeed...!!
it actually inspired me to write a beautiful poem...!! keep the good work going on...all the best..!!

30 Reviews

Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:50 pm
Justlittleoleme says...

Thanks guys XD

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:34 pm
27017296 says...

Good job, Little Me. ;) You're a good poet after all. :) I liked it, and it was very clear and concise. Keep writing (even poetry). :D
Signatures are so 2011

Painting is poetry that is seen rather than felt, and poetry is painting that is felt rather than seen.
— Leonardo da Vinci