Often used to bait the weak,
known to poison holy breath,
a secret that the modest keep,
the sultry, steaming, kiss of death.

Yes there in our bedsheets lie,
one more than your eyes can see,
hidden in the yearning sighs
his calling circles endlessly.
Last edited by KatTrain on Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
So, a dyslexic man walks into a bra....

Reviews: 3
Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:30 pm
IndieNote says...

Hey there,

This poem flowed really well, and your rhyme scheme was subtle and didn't seem forced. I really liked your first stanza, and your first three lines are definitely my favorites. I liked how it was short and sweet, but at the same time I'm left with almost an ominous feeling.

The imagery here was very well done too, I don't feel overwhelmed with it at all, but it still is described well.
Overall, it was very well done!

Cheers,
Indie

318 Reviews

Reviews: 318
Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:03 am
Abigail_W. says...

Wow, it's obvious you're a gifted poet. The only nitpick I have is that the apostrophe should be after the word "lovers" in the first stanza because you're talking about multiple lovers. I think. Unless you're talking about one singular lover. In which case it would be fine.

I don't think you need to be told that your poem flowed well or that your imagery was fantastic. You probably know that already. This is one of those poems where, as a reviewer on YWS, you just have to take it as it comes, appreciate its awesomeness, and let it be without tearing it apart too much. It's great to begin with and there's no changing it. Keep writing!

-Abigail

198 Reviews

Reviews: 198
Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:20 am
inkwell says...

This poem is great considering how much you were able to condense into three brief stanzas, while also giving the air of lightness. Definitely fun to read. Your rhyming worked well for the poem's flow and wasn't forced, which is refreshing to read. Not to mention the original title that perfectly sets the tone for this poem and kind of hints at the subject. Another great aspect was how the narrator's voice seemed to be speaking right at me, dangling me from the end of every line. Practically turning me on with your sensuous syntax. I love the line "placed lightly on miscarried tongues," and "hidden in the yearning sighs." Overall the tonality was pretty air tight, and effortless.

One little nit pick of mine however is your use of the phrase "kiss of death," which sounded so cliche and unlike the rest of the poem, verging on laziness. And lastly (this is minor and subjective) the climax of the poem was a little weak compared to the rising action so to speak. More specifically, the pace is the same through out and just ends.

No grammar or spelling mistakes, which is a rare relief. Great job Kat. :)
"The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is comprehensible." — Einstein

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:12 am
HostofHorus says...

Hello again Kat!

Honored to have you as my first review since coming back! I suppose you know my ways so I'll get to it.

There is a name that I know,
placed lightly on miscarried tongues;
and there it lounges faithfully so
till embracing lovers' songs are sung. I would like to start by saying I love how poetic this is. It really is beautifully written. I don't know that I quite like the use of till. I'd prefer to have it fully spelt out there, but that is your choice...

Often used to bait the weak,
known to poison holy breath,
a secret that the modest keep,
the sultry, steaming, kiss of death.
This was definitely my favorite stanza. Nicely crafted, and wonderful choice of words.

Yes, there in our bedsheets lie,
one more than your eyes can see,
hidden in the yearning sighs
his calling circles endlessly. Sorta haunting, but good. I'd add the comma up there, but it isn't mandatory.

Overall: There isn't much to say. The grammar was taken care of, the language was good, and the rhythm was great as well. I really liked it. You managed to make a very beautiful, and full piece of art in just three brief stanzas. Congratz, and let me know if you ever want another review. This one is a little bland because there wasn't much to change or comment on. :)

-HostofHorus
HostofHorus Author, Poet, Dreamer, and Expressionist.
http://JRSStories.com
Stories Poems © As of January 1st 2014

Need a review? Feel free to ask me! :)

Random avatar

Reviews: 5
Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:40 am
ilovejasper72211 says...

This was a very short, heartful, to the point poem. I find it touching and free. Your rhyme scheme, is not forced at all, but I find that it disturbs the emotion of the poem itself just a little. But otherwise, excellent job. #Following Indie (:

180 Reviews

Reviews: 180
Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:24 pm
Cspr says...

Wow. Very nice poem there. The first two stanzas had my breath bated and everything. Very--dark, I suppose. And I quite like dark. It made me think of some fantasy novel with a gray-dress-wearing heroine and a drafty old castle with some mysterious sickbay--which proves any idea gets warped into a novel in my mind. I apologize for that.

Otherwise, the last stanza was good. You managed to keep a subtle, pushing rhyme throughout it all. Yet, the last few lines didn't sit quite right with me. They work, but something about them bothers me. -squints- I don't know. I'm definitely not at your level, so I'll leave that alone.

So, yeah. Great job and keep up the good work, eh?

-Cspr
My SPD senses are tingling.

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:12 am
empressoftheuniverse says...

I really have nothing particularly constructive to add; I was just overjoyed when I understood what the subject of the poem was. I would like comment that I didn't realize there was a rhyme scheme until I read the comments; but that is probably my own shortcoming in my reading of the poem.
In all honestly, I do kind of think this line is a tad awkward
KatTrain wrote:and there it lounges faithfully so

But since it has to rhyme, I guess it can't be helped. Like everyone else said, your rhyming is really effortless and your poem is not opaque in meaning. It is concise, full of vivid imagery, and has a wonderful ending.
I'm sorry that I couldn't be of more help. Then again I'm not, because if this needed more help it would have been a less enjoyable experience to read.
Keep up the great work.
Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart.
*Le Bible
Royal Reviews Here!

456 Reviews

Reviews: 456
Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:03 am
Rascalover says...

Hello,
Thanks for requesting a review; I am finally here! this will be the shortest review ever, unfortunately. I loved this poem, and I really see no which way that I would perfect it because I already think it is so well written. If you have any uestions or need another review feel free to ask.

Have a great day,
Tiffany
There is nothing to writing; all you do is sit down at a typewriter and open a vein~ Red Smith

Who needs a review? :) http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic38078.html

Life's short; smile while you still have teeth.
— Tuesday