z

Young Writers Society

The Sun

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:04 am
cupcake says...

Spoiler! :
This is contest entry (http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/contests/viewcontest.php?id=50) and a poem for a science badge I''m doing on meteorology. I don't know if the punctuation is correct, if it isn't please correct it.

The sun is shining
bright in the sky.
The sun seems yellow,
don't ask me why.

The sun gives us light
and helps us see.
The sun sends sparkling
light on the sea.

The sun looks pretty
giving us hope.
The sun makes us glad
helping us cope.
God gives us our relatives - thank God we can choose our friends.
- Ethel Watts Mumford

A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out.
- Walter Winchell

“I’ll Surprise you, I promise”
-Adam Lambert

Random avatar

Reviews: 4
Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:05 am
TLT0715 says...

Hmmmmmmmmm...simple, yet pleasant. Sorry I'm a little new to this site. Anyways, it sounds somewhat original. I like it don't get me wrong. If you can write more simple poems like this I would be more than happy to read them. Thanks for the light reading, it was just what I needed :)

Reviews: 4
Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:21 am
bradybrady says...

I'll admit I don't know much about poetry at the beginning here, so I'll just give you my general impression. I thought it was nice and upbeat, but the rhymes seemed kind of rushed and uninspired. The sun makes us happy. So what? I don't get any new insights on life from this poem.

It's a good try though. I think you've got potential for sure.

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:37 am
ratularay says...

it was a good try all over..............i'll advice you u pay a bit heed to your rhyming scheme...........
the line-"the sun send sparkling
light on the sea"
-can be better written as-"the sun sparkles brightly
over the vast wide sea"
it is just an advice.............take it if u like......................plzzzz keep on writing .............i am looking forward to some better works of yours........
i am a new member.................so plzzzzzzzzzz help me with your reviews

205 Reviews

Reviews: 205
Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:54 pm
Kagi says...

Hey.

Thanks for the review request, I appreciate it and poetry is something I love to review, So I'm all for it!
I'll do stanza by stanza nit picks, then do an overall reveiw at the end-Ok for you? Right then.

The sun is shining
bright in the sky.
The sun seems yellow,
don't ask me why.

First thing I have as problem with here, is the line where you talk about the sun seeming yellow. The sun doesn't seem to be yellow-it is. The way you phrase it here, makes me question whether or not the sun's yellow. Everyone know's the yellow's a yellow,orange colour so it come's across as if you haven't really seen the sun before. So I'd certainly change that to is or smoething. Other the it, it's a sweet verse but nothing else. It lacks depth and originality. So what? The sun's in the sky, it's yellow-why do we care? I think you should maybe add some personal views on the sun, that way we can feel something more. Right now, it's a very basic poem with not much going on. It's a bit boring too be honest with you. Poetry is all about creating a picture with words and I on't feel that with this little poem. It's almost too simple to convey any sort of feeling. Maybe add in some thoughts or as I said; views on the sun to give it that extra little something.

The sun gives us light
and helps us see.
The sun sends sparkling
light on the sea.

What you're doing here is underlining the obvious. We know all of this stuff, and I'm not saying when writing opems you should laways write something fresh and soemthing new about whatever topic, I'm saying you're just bluntly pointing out the obvious. We know these things. Now all in all, I could get a better picture here, then the first stanza but still, description is lacking, depth is lacking. Your rythme is steady and has a nice ring to it though, I'll give you that.But, depth, imagery-all of this needs to be incorporated into the poem to really give it that fresh, brilliance it needs.

The sun looks pretty
giving us hope.
The sun makes us glad
helping us cope.

This verse is pretty much the same as the last two. Same simplicity, same lack of detail. We does the sun being pretty give you hope? Why does being glad help you cope? These explanations areabsolutley necessary. If I'm honest, I think the words you've chosen here are a bit childish. A bit ammature. You need something exotic and new and fresh to help us feel the difference in this poem adn the next one, you know?

Overall
It's a sweet poem of a chid's version of what the sun is. When I read it, it makes me think of a little gilr reciting this, slowly for her parents. I know, this isn't the feel you wanted to get across ehh? Well to change that, you need a lot more detail, imagery and vocabulary. Personal views on this would be good and depth is lacking majorly here. So all in all, it's asweet poem but nothing more. It's certainly not anything amazing which I know you can probably acheive if you really try. Everyone needs to push themselves to do better and I think that's what you need to do. Work on editing and you might just have somethign here. Right now, you have a skeleton with no flesh. Go out and get everything to make this skeleton human. You can do it, it's only a matter of time.

I wish you luck with it! Any questions, leave a comment in my review thread and I'll answer it there. Thanks.

Kagi
Got YWS?

If, when you mean to type yes you type yws, you know you belong. :P

1634 Reviews

Reviews: 1634
Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:42 pm
Deanie says...

Its nice and light but a little... I don't know, not inspiring? All it is saying is the sun gives light, it was a good try, but I think you need to think carefully about your idea and put in more detail. But I like short and light poems.
Trust in God and all else follows.

Deanie, dominating the world since it was cool @Pompadour, 2014
Your username reminds me of a hotdog @Stegosaurus, 2015
Tried to make puns out of your username, but every attempt has been Deanied @Candywizard, 2015

"Honestly, I think the world is going to end bloody. But it doesn't mean we shouldn't fight. We do have choices."
— Dean Winchester