z

Young Writers Society

Yours

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:05 am
BluesClues says...

So, I posted this story a while ago, after doing it in my creative writing class as an exercise in image and setting. Because it was such an exercise, there was a LOT more imagery than I would normally use, so much so that it kind of bogged down the story. I've now cut some of it out, redone some of it, and added a tad more dialogue. (It helps that now I don't have my original restriction - we had to describe the place in enough detail that people could tell where it was without our mentioning it. Since I don't have that restriction, I just tell the reader where they are. Anyway, my main question is: Is it still too much, or is this a good balance now? Let me know!

Sunlight streams in through the tall windows, illuminating the bright colors of the McDonald’s Playplace. A curved magenta slide burps giggling children out of the maze of plastic and Plexiglas. Children shove their tennis shoes into yellow cubbies against the wall, shrieking with laughter as they chase each other across the blue mat on the floor.

Four children clamber into the jungle of tubes. The youngest, a blue-eyed, flaxen-haired snippet of five, flattens her nose against the first porthole she comes to and waves violently at a dark-haired woman below.

“Mama, look!” Her voice is muffled by the Plexiglas.

The woman looks up and finds her daughter’s purple t-shirt, the one with the image of Esmeralda smiling from the front of it. Esmeralda is her daughter’s favorite Disney character. Giving a tired smile, the woman waves back, a worn-out, three-dimensional version of the figure on the shirt.

She notices a pale pink sock on the floor beside her and sighs. Kaylie had lost a sock before she even left the table. She picks up the sock and then with her forefinger absently traces the big yellow M on her fry cup. It reminds her of distant birds in a painting.

She checks her cell phone. A quarter to four. He should’ve been here half an hour ago. She sighs but is not surprised. She piles her garbage onto a tray, walks it to the nearest trash can, and returns to her seat to stare at the one tall, white cup that remains on the table. One cup, because they share. Kaylie always insists on filling it herself. Her mother sips dutifully at the mixture of orange pop, Coca Cola, and pink lemonade that her daughter has concocted this time.

Now a shadow dims her table. A man stands over her, tall, with flaxen hair and blue eyes like Kaylie’s. He gives a small smile. She does not.

“Sorry I’m late,” he says.

“I sort of expected it,” she replies. “It’s alright. Have a seat.”

He slides into the seat across from her and folds his hands on the tabletop, gazing at her, waiting. She stares out at the children on the playscape, her head propped on a fist. Her daughter chases a younger girl across the floor. The man prompts, “You wanted to see me?”

She looks at him.

“You should eat something,” she says.

“I’m not hungry. I came from a meeting. We had lunch.”

“Oh.”

He waits again. Then he says, “Michelle?”

After a moment, she asks, “Did you ever want to have kids, Jeff?”

His eyebrows go up, but he considers.

“I guess so. I never really thought about it.”

She falls silent again. He asks, “Why?”

She points out Kaylie, with her jeans and her purple Esmeralda t-shirt, with her one bare and one pink-socked foot, with her flaxen hair curling at her ears the same way his does.

“That one’s yours,” she says.
Last edited by BluesClues on Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

83 Reviews

Reviews: 83
Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:49 am
SkyeDreamer says...

Whoa! Where did that ending come from?! I mean that in a good way, though. I thought the descriptions were perfect, a good balance of plot and imagery. Nice work! This was actually really good. It seemed simple enough, until Jeff showed up. I liked the way you did it, giving such vivid descriptions of everything until Jeff finds out the secret, and then... nothing. The mysteriousness of this added a lot. Never stop writing!
~Please review me~
*Want a review? Just ask!*

Reviews: 3
Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:36 am
holliebear says...

WOW! That was so unexpected! You did very good with details. :) Keep it up! What happens next?

205 Reviews

Reviews: 205
Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:44 am
Kagi says...

Hello dear.
Thanks for the request in my thread, I appreciate it. I'm not sure I know you all that well but sure, it's never too late to get to know you ehh? :)

I'll go straight on to the review. I tend to ramble a little but I give you permission to skip all of it. :)

First of all, something that got on my nerves. How on earth does the title have ane relevence to the topic?
Distant birds, unknown child? What is the connection there? For me, the title is one of the most important things. What makes you pick a book off the shelf? It's title. What makes you think a book will be interesting? It's title. A title, is what sells a book. If you see;
Jims day out.
It most likely won't be your first choice compared to something like this;
Blood,death and a ragdoll.

Now, excuse my ignorance but I just couldn't piece together why you chose the title you did. Maybe there's a hidden meaning? I have one opinion; you mean maybe something to do with distant lovers. But I still don't see why you didn't put lovers instead of birds then. In my opinion I think you should choose a more general title, an easier title to understand. Something a bit more interesting. Because a title, is the eye to a novel. If you see something interesting, you'll look into it. See something boring, you won't. For a story as good as this one, you need a far better title. Something deep and meaningful with a mysterious twist. I don't have any suggestions and to be honest, I wouldn't usually help people with titles other then the odd time because I feel it's very much a personal choice. And even after all of this, if you feel attachted to this title, then keep it. It's not my decision but I can only express my desires.

Your word choice, description and ability to display images were/are amazing. You used such vivid language and exotic vocabularly that within a couple of words I had a full, focused image in my head fo exactly where everything was and the people within the story. I'm in awe of people who can use words to paint pictures. It's an art, and a talented one at that. To be able to show people exactly what you think,imagine just be writing it down. You mastered this with such amazing talent and clarity I found it hard to imagine the amount of thought put into this.
A curved magenta slide burps giggling children out of the maze of plastic and Plexiglas

The youngest, a blue-eyed, flaxen-haired snippet of five, flattens her nose against the first porthole she comes to and waves violently at a dark-haired woman below.

These were a couple of examples, I could imagine really clearly. Slides do burb children, I just never thought of it that way. Your imagination seems to hold some amazing ideas. I'm repeating myself here, but you portrayed such strong pictures in my head and did it so well. I can't praise you enough for that area of writing.

The plot was darn good too. Really, unexpected. You had a nice flow to the piece, you pace was good, not too fast or too slow. And the manor or tone in which you showed off the mother of the little girl, was fanatastic. I could almost hear her voice, her thoughts. That's an important aspect of writing too. Getting intouch with the main charachters. I felt really involved and connected with what was going on. And even though you didn't have a very active, or full plot you spaced it well. I liked the length of it. If it went on longer, it would ruin the bruntness of the moment of breaking the news to the father or 'Jeff'. You didn't hand out bucket fulls of information, you didn't go into too much depth on what was happening arounf the, btu you gave me enough to realise where I was and what I was watching. The ending was my favorite. So cunning to just, say it like you did. 'That one's yours' It was genius and I couldn't have done it better.

A wonderful plot, a wonderful twist and a wondefully well written piece of work.
You have some talent and I'd encourage you to continue writing. If you go on like this, it shan't be too long until you have your own books on the shelf. Well done,

Kagi.
Got YWS?

If, when you mean to type yes you type yws, you know you belong. :P

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:18 pm
View Likes
tinny says...

Hi, BlueAfrica! :D

I think you've got a good balance with the descriptions here, and some of your imagery is nothing short of wonderful.

What I will say though, is that there are a few of your phrases which don't really read quite rightly, the more obvious examples being:

Children shove their tennis shoes into yellow cubbies against the wall, shrieking with laughter as they chase each other across the blue mat on the floor.

This one seems to put a strange emphasis on the mat.

The woman looks up and finds her daughter’s purple t-shirt, the one with the image of Esmeralda smiling from the front of it.

And here, it reads more like the mother is looking up not to look at her daughter after being called, but to focus on her t-shirt.

She notices a pale pink sock on the floor beside her and sighs. Kaylie had lost a sock before she even left the table. She picks up the sock and then with her forefinger absently traces the big yellow M on her fry cup. It reminds her of distant birds in a painting.

Here you've got a bit of repetition with the word sock, but that's easily fixed. The mentioning of the painting, where I think you've taken the title from, seems pretty off the wall and kinda weird. I think for the exercise you originally wrote this for, wherein you couldn't mention the setting by name, this would have actually been a really good clue, but with that restriction gone it reads kinda strangely.

I like your little twist at the end, it's not one that's so off the wall that it doesn't make sense, but one that suddenly puts the story into a whole different light and context. It's quite fun, and I think leaves it on quite an interesting tone.

Anyway, I hope that I've been of some help to you! If you have any questions or anything you'd like me to elaborate on, then feel free to shoot me a PM and whatnot :D

- Tinny
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

Why can't I put the entire Bee Movie in the quote generator? Would you prefer if I put in the Shrek script instead?
— CaptainJack