553 Reviews

Reviews: 553
Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:23 pm
View Likes
MiaParamore says...

Call Me Mr. Ailuro

Chapter One~Part One

Spoiler! :
I know, here are dozens of cat lovers, but this is a story I wanted to write, and I might not show cats from the boys' POV to be so good, so if you're so sensitive about them, I advice you not to read. personally, I have a minor form of Ailurphobia, and I cant stand cats without crying. So I could relate to the person. And thanks to Azila for talking about the phobia which triggered a story in my mind. It won't be a novel, but a novella. That is, if I don't change my mind. Thanks to Skins for interacting with me through PMs, and reading about her writing schedule I got confidence to write in speed. And thanks to her for following up on my every story religiously. :D

I have always feared them. People would adore their curled up body, their velvet like furs, the stripes they bore, but me? It always triggered a spine-cracking fear inside of me. Touching them is a distinct thing; I’ve never even stood in front of them without my knees buckling. By them I mean cats and kittens. Yeah, those cute creations of God.

I forced my eyes shut as soon the door opened. Curiosity getting the better of me, I slightly opened my eye from the corner, and was soon welcomed by a blurred image of Mrs. Skelel. Her shiny red earrings corrupted my vision for a nanosecond, before her smile engraved it.
“Yes, Brandon,” she spoke in a raspy tone. I shoved my feet back. I always used to maintain a good distance from her.
Thinking how rude I was acting I decided to open my eyes. But before doing that, I widened my eyes a bit more and carefully scanned the area that lay behind the door. For that, I had to slightly tilt my head to get the better view of the space that Mrs. Skelel didn’t occupy at the door, and once I was done, I opened my eyes. It took a moment for my eyes to regain their vision back, and before it could do so, tiny ants crawled in front of me. Once I could see like a normal being, I dug out my hands into my satchel, and pulled out the big box I used to bring here for her everyday. The box with packets of gallons of milk for twenty cats. Twenty!
Plastering a smile faker than Pamela Anderson’s …you get it, right? I stretched my hand to give the old lady her box. A half-impressed smile crept through her face as she held the box tightly, and I felt suddenly lighter. I didn’t have to wait any longer.
“Why don’t I treat you to a yummy bowl of soup, today, Brannie? What say?” She asked in the most tempting voice she could create, and traced my jaw line with her stick like hands. I withered my nose in disgust. As a reflex, my arms started shaking, and a tickling sensation crossed my upper arm.
I pushed back the lump that was being formed in my throat every passing second I was near her. “It’s not Brannie. Call me-”
“As if I don’t know what you’re called. I know it’s Brandon, but ain’t that what everyone calls you by? I need to have somethin’ different, for Christ’s sake,” she replied gravely. Meekly, I just nodded in approval, against what I had in my mind. To divert my attention from the freak eighty year old something lady, I started looking at my shoes. I noticed how dirty they were, and how a layer of mud covered them. Then I started looking at her long purple robe. Whatever happened to her regular mourning black one? With those cat prints? Or were they tiger’s? I stretched my gaze upwards. Her red earrings dangled from her ears, and blood red lipstick polished her lips. Her face was unevenly wrinkled, folding to pouches at certain points of her skin, while other times it was smooth as a road.
“Mam, I must leave,” I said.
As if my words had triggered something inside her mind, she unclipped her mouth, and a sudden halitosis greeted me. A mixed breath of stale mushrooms and alcohol entered my nose. Since she was a customer, I couldn’t immediately bring a handkerchief or my hand to stop the stench from reaching my mouth, so I did the best thing. I retracted back, but slowly, making my movement appear intangible. My shoes created an ear-tickling sound as I did so, though. But no sooner, I felt something touching my hoodie, and with a grasp of her hand she pulls me in. Inside the house of terror-amongst twenty cats.
Ailurophobia. Sounds like a cute name, right? But for me, it arouses a sense of deep fear.
Wikipedia would define it as a persistent, irrational fear of cats. Irrational? I don’t think so. Every phobia has a very core reason behind it, and it takes more than just a Wikipedia article to scrub it off. That was Wikipedia’s definition for it, and mine (the practical one) goes as follows:
(a) Action: Fear from every cat on the street, alley, every nook and cranny, where not.
Reaction: Scanning every place for a cat, if one found, then running for life.
(b)Action: Fear of being gobbled up alive by a cat. Seriously!
Reaction: Imagining the scene every time the thought crosses my mind. First she (the cat) makes me tiny with her laser beam, which I haven’t yet figured out where she gets from, and then pounces on me like a tiger does on Discovery channel.
(c) Action: The word ‘cat’ releasing a stimulus in my body that causes me to…become deranged.
Reaction: Severe damage to the property or people around me.
There’d be many more to be listed.
I cowered back in fear as I leaned back against the wall, sweat dripping from my face. I looked down to see a pool of sweat materializing. I continued gazing at it just to prevent my mind from bombarding. The ripple in the sweat pool hypnotized me for a second that I forgot where I am.
I forgot that right now where I sit is exactly what a nightmare forms a part of. I forgot that this place is where I have always dreaded to be at, and despite my preventions, I have arrived here. I forgot that in moments, twenty cats would be released on me and before I even know, I would be just a soul.
A rotten smell scudded through the air, forcing me to shut my nostrils. I couldn’t help but associate the smell with cats’ flesh, and the thought was more than just petrifying. My heartbeat accelerated, and even before I knew it, there’s no trace of my heart. It’s like it has vanished, just like that. Fear has paralyzed my brain so badly that instead of hoping to get out alive, I pray for God to call me up. Away from this fug, away from the constant fear of living in a world together with cats.
I looked up, scared. The place was dauntingly small, seeming like the walls were closing up on me. There was nothing for a furniture, and floor was filled with dirt.
Soon, Mrs. Skelel appeared in the hallway and limping she made her way towards me. I never noticed before that she had a limp. I hugged my knees ever so tightly, and started rocking back and forth. Humming to a Hindu tune my grandma taught me when I was nine, I again scrunched shut my eyes. I don’t believe I would have the courage to face her, or her cats.
“Brandon, there are some of my friends showing interest in meeting you,” she hissed and judging by the sudden warming up of the air near my ears, I knew she was near me. All the veins in my body contracted, and there’s nothing left to bolster my fading courage. I have become…helpless.
You’ve to be brave, Bran. For mom and dad? A candy like sweet and smooth voice entered my ears. Christina. Amazed plus baffled at the same time, I bobbed my head so I could again hear the voice. I know who she was, but I can’t still believe it.
Yes, it’s me. Wake up, sleepy head or it would be the end.
As if the fear had been pulled out of my chest, I opened my eyes. These two sentences had been enough to boost my failing confidence. I am ready to face anything now, or so I thought.
“Finally, Brannie,” she exclaimed, and erupted into a laughter. She sat crouched on the floor, boring into my eyes. Her eyes were deep red, just as her lips, and there was a shimmer of yellow at the center, which made it look all the more horrid. I snapped my head towards the right, and refused to let her eyes lock gaze with mine.
“Never mind. Young boys like you deserve more than just meeting my friends. You should be feeding them yourselves. The stirring sensation your hands would feel when they stick their tongue at it, would…just, well, blow your mind,” she said smugly. I watched in disgust as she closed her eyes, and took the feel herself. The very thought of a cat being anywhere near me made my heart seclude in between my chest.
“Never,” I bark. This new found courage makes me glad for a moment, before I realize that now that I had it, it meant I had to be fair to it. I couldn’t let it go to garbage.
She narrowed her eyes, and her bony hands crept their way towards my hair, but I bolted up. Before she could even notice, I was sprinting out of the doomed hall. Since the surrounding was murky, with no source of light, but the little curtains filtered, I had to be careful not to trip over something. My laces were open, but I didn’t have time to look over such minuscule things. I had a bigger task at my hand.
I bounced around the house, jumping over scattered things like milk bowl, and wool yarn on the floor. Although my body had released a gallon of adrenaline which had helped in my escape, my mind had gone numb. There was nothing running in it, and it most definitely seemed that it had gone blank. I was just like a zombie, but the difference was that I was running to save my life from an evil person rather than running to catch a prey.
“Brandon, how far would you go? Sprawly would catch you even before you can breathe next time,” a screeching voice, just like of a chalk against the board, reached me.
I took a turn and came across a flight of stairs that would take me down. Before using them, I took a breath and held the staircase bar firmly. I realized by the slime-like glue sticking my hand to the bar that how much I had been sweating. I unglue my hand and started loping down. To be more careful and quick, I took two steps at a time, and sometimes I even lost my balance.
When I was about to reach the end, I noticed a pack of black and white stuff toys lining up the way. Curse my luck or me, apparently these stuff toys could even move. As they tremulously moved, an electric current like thing crawled through my neck spreading to my whole body. I stood there, numbness taking over my body again. One of them started up the stairs, and soon she was three stairs far from me. The moment my eyes met hers, my vision became groggy while my limbs being denied their blood supply. Her eyes glinted with a streak of red, and it most obviously resembled the colour of my blood.
She has a lust for your blood, Bran. My mind cried.
When I finally realized the maelstrom I had been caught up in, I screamed. “You can’t.”
“What we can’t?” I whirled back to see Mrs. Skelel elegantly climbing down the stairs. “Heh?”
A serene look had overtaken her earlier sordid one, and contempt plastered her face. It was like she had got what she had wanted. I could just stare at her in horror. She shifted her head towards my right, and began speaking to the leader of the cats. “I told you I’d prepare red soup for you today, didn’t I?” She smiled.
I turned my head to look at the cat, which had surprisingly stopped at the place I had last seen her at. As if the words Mrs. Skelel had said made sense to her, she wagged her head in approval. I could feel my nerves clamping tight.
“Please…let me go, Mrs. -”
“And let my cats die of hunger?” She quizzed, furrowing her eyebrows. Rolling her eyes, and clutching tight to her robe she shook her head. “Death is what you get for hating my cats,” she griped.
“Just this time,” I pleaded.
“I made a promise. I’d eliminate every cat hater from the world. Mama has to keep her promise she made to her kids, doesn’t she?” She asked in the most jejune tone.
“Puh...lease?”
“Sprawly, attack.” She pointed her finger towards me and even before I could know it, I was being hauled down by the cat with my jeans clenched tight between her two rows of teeth. I resisted by holding the bar tightly, but adamantly Mrs. Skelel took my fingers, unglued their hold, and pushed them to weaken my grasp.
I was howling now, tears stinging up my eyes and freezing at the canthus. There came a time when all I could hear was my cries, nothing beyond it. It felt awfully pathetic; to have become partially deaf. As the rule of the nature would have it the cat emerged victorious, and my cadaver was lying down with eyes open. Blood spilled around me, making a bigger radius than what my sweat pool had formed up back there. Helpless, my soul stepped out of the dead matter, and I see everything unfolding before my eyes.
My corpse being eaten away by the cats, and a resonating laughter by Mrs. Skelel. Every time my flesh was being ripped into shreds, my heart gave out a lurch. A crack reverberated as they bit on my bones. I noticed my sneakers had fallen a good distance away from my body, and the untied laces were soaked up in blood. My eyes were open and stared up at the ceiling aimlessly. Twenty of cats feasted on me, while I just stood there, watching it happen.
Cats had won the war; I had been defeated. This was the most feeble I had ever felt as a guy.
“Brandon, wake up!” A blaring tone rang in my ear. I lazily opened my eyes and immediately shut them as a ray of sunlight reached them. I tossed in my bed and the sudden realization hits me. It was just a dream? I trace my face with my palm, to find nothing but sweat. No blood? My heart let out a song of joy. I looked more in the distance to find my sneakers still on, with no trace of blood anywhere.
I snapped my head to my right to find my alarm singing the same monotonous song it always used to, “Brandon, wake up!”
A smile crept on my face. It was just a dream. Just a freaking dream!
Even though you fear them, dude, they can’t harm you. Just remember.” I reminded myself.

Spoiler! :
Yup, I want the dream to be big. Sorry to make you read the long dream. :)
"Next time you point a finger
I might have to bend it back
Or break it, break it off
Next time you point a finger
I'll point you to the mirror"

— Paramore

384 Reviews

Reviews: 384
Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:45 pm
View Likes
eldEr says...

Shrubs! I am finally here with this review! Sorry it took so long! I've been busy. >.<

First off.... Meh, nitpicks. Why not? xD

People would adore their curled up body bodies, their velvet like furs, the stripes they bore, but me? It always triggered a spine-cracking fear inside of me. Touching them is a distinct thing; I’ve never even stood in front of them without my knees buckling. By them, I mean cats and kittens. Yeah, those cute creations of God.

So, first off, I pluralized 'body' to 'bodies.' (Because you used 'their' - which is plural, and then a singular noun right after... yeah.) Another thing I didn't like was the last sentence of this paragraph - 'them' needs to be in either italics or in quotes. 'Them' also needs a comma after it. (Also, it might look better as, "And by them, I mean cats and kittens.")

Curiosity getting the better of me, I slightly opened my eye from the corner, and was soon welcomed by a blurred image of Mrs. Skelel. Her shiny red earrings corrupted my vision for a nanosecond, before her smile engraved it.

First of all - this paragraph just sort of read funny as a whole. The sentences were sort of... laid out funny, if you know what I mean. Also, you don't need a comma after 'nanosecond'.

Thinking how rude I was acting I decided to open my eyes. But before doing that, I widened my eyes a bit more and carefully scanned the area that lay behind the door. For that, I had to slightly tilt my head to get the better view of the space that Mrs. Skelel didn’t occupy at the door, and once I was done, I opened my eyes. It took a moment for my eyes to regain their vision back, and before it could do so, tiny ants crawled in front of me.

Okay, here we go. First of all, the bit I highlighted in read doesn't really make any sense. xD It's not a complete sentence and it just seems sloppy. Something like, "Thinking of how rude I was acting, I decided to open my eyes." Also, you said that he didn't open his eyes - so how is he scanning anything? This entire paragraph was a little confusing to read - and it dragged on and on about how he had to work to open his eyes.

Plastering a smile faker than Pamela Anderson’s …you get it, right? I stretched my hand to give the old lady her box.

The bit in red? Omit the ...'s and place the 'you get it right?' in (parentheses) instead. Also, after 'plastering', I'm thinking that there should be an 'on' - otherwise the sentence just doesn't really make that much sense. (Also, after the parentheses, make sure you put a comma.)

I pushed back the lump that was being formed in my throat every passing second I was near her. “It’s not Brannie. Call me-”

The first bit of this was too wordy. Just as an example, I would probably change it to something along the lines of, "I pushed back the lump that had formed in my throat," and then proceeded with the dialogue. That's just me, though. xD

To divert my attention from the freak eighty year old something lady, I started looking at my shoes. I noticed how dirty they were, and how a layer of mud covered them.

First bit in red: The wording was funny - and it didn't really make sense. 'eighty-something-year-old freak' would have worked better. ;)
Second bit in red: That's just another really wordy sentence right there. If they're dirty, chances are they have mud on them. If they're muddy, then we already know that they're dirty - you don't need both. Pick one, get rid of the other.

This is a teenage boy, right? "I must leave" just doesn't sound realistic to me. Especially after the slang, "Man," was said. Meh.

Wikipedia would define it as a persistent, irrational fear of cats. Irrational? I don’t think so. Every phobia has a very core reason behind it, and it takes more than just a Wikipedia article to scrub it off. That was Wikipedia’s definition for it, and mine (the practical one) goes as follows:

(a) Action: Fear from every cat on the street, alley, every nook and cranny, where not.

Reaction: Scanning every place for a cat, if one found, then running for life.

Reaction: Imagining the scene every time the thought crosses my mind. First she (the cat) makes me tiny with her laser beam, which I haven’t yet figured out where she gets from, and then pounces on me like a tiger does on Discovery channel.

(c) Action: The word ‘cat’ releasing a stimulus in my body that causes me to…become deranged.

There’d be many more to be listed.

Woaah. What's that doing right in the middle of a story? o.o (Sorry for the long quote, by the way, but it was necessary.) I saw it, blinked a few times, and felt suddenly very confused. If this is a description of the fear just for your readers sake, you should put a little * mark next to the phobia name, and explain it after the story. (I've seen you do that before in some of your other stories, anyways.) A Wikipedia article right in the middle of a story - just no. It shouldn't be done.

Soon, Mrs. Skelel appeared in the hallway and limping she made her way towards me. I never noticed before that she had a limp.

The part in red, again, doesn't make sense. It should be 'Soon, Mrs. Skelel appeared in the hallway, limping as she made her way towards me.' Or something similar. ;)

“Brandon, there are some of my friends showing interest in meeting you,” she hissed, and judging by the sudden warming up of the air near my ears, I knew she was near me.

You just needed a comma after 'hissed'. =P

“Never,” I bark. This new found courage makes me glad for a moment, before I realize that now that I had it, it meant I had to be fair to it. I couldn’t let it go to garbage.

You slipped into present-tense here.

I realized by the slime-like glue sticking my hand to the bar that how much I had been sweating. I unglue my hand and started loping down.

In red - it's not a word, and you switched tenses again.

As they tremulously moved, an electric current like thing crawled through my neck spreading to my whole body. I stood there, numbness taking over my body again.

What is 'tremendously' doing in there? You don't need it, and it's not the right word for the sentence. Omit it. ;)

When I finally realized the maelstrom I had been caught up in, I screamed. “You can’t.

He screamed, did he? Then you might want to end the dialogue in an exclamation point rather than a plain old period. ;) It sounded pretty emotionless otherwise.

“Brandon, wake up!” A blaring tone rang in my ear. I lazily opened my eyes and immediately shut them as a ray of sunlight reached them. I tossed in my bed and the sudden realization hits me. It was just a dream? I trace my face with my palm, to find nothing but sweat.

First bit in red: It just read awkwardly as a whole. I would try rephrasing and rewording it.
The rest of the red: You switched tenses again. Watch for those.

Okay! So, first of all, I want to talk to you about your writing:

It definitely has the potential to be good, but Shrubs, dear, your sentences are very wordy. Description is good, just don't overdo it, yes? Also, you really need to watch your sentence structure, grammar, punctuation, and tenses. (You were continuously making random little tense-slips throughout the entire story.)

But that's all I'll say about that, as I just spent a good portion of the review talking about it.

I did have a problem with your character's voice - I mean, if you didn't mention that his name was Brandon, I would never have guessed that he was a guy. The voice was very feminine, in my opinion. Does it really matter in writing? Yes - in a very well-written first-person novel, you can usually tell if the character is male or female just by the style of writing. How? Well, I'm just not quite sure. Guys and girls do think in different ways and patterns, and you have to recognize this while you're writing. There were times when I entirely forgot that Brandon was indeed, a male. It was just far too feminine-sounding.

Another thing I noticed was that, though the story was a bit frightening, I was never hooked. Why? Because it was all jumpy. That's one of the things that I always notice in your writing - your transitions are a bit messy. It's like you're in one place, and you've finally gotten your mind settled into it, and then suddenly, your character is in a whole other place. They can go from a nice, cozy bedroom to running down a highway in a matter of seconds, and the way you write it tends to make the reader go, "Woah, when did that happen?"

I wouldn't stress over it or anything, but I do want to see you paying more attention to your sequencing and transitions. ;)

Otherwise, the story was definitely interesting, and all in all, I didn't mind it.

Keep writing, Shrubs!
xoxo,
~~Ish
Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurl.

got trans?

532 Reviews

Reviews: 532
Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:25 pm
View Likes
ArcticMonkey says...

Hello Shrubs :3

Spoiler! :
Okay, I'd quickly like to bore you with a story because I know you're gonna read this because you're cool like that. As you know, I took a break from YWS, therefore I haven't reviewed in quite some time, so this review may seem like it's been structured by someone else which in all honesty has. I wasn't sure at first on how to review this, so me being that nerd that I am did some reasearch onto how to review to help me. So yeah. Anyways, moving onto your review...

Firstly, the plot is a tad bit confusing, and I wasn't sure what was going on at first. I had to read it again to fully understand the plot. The characters and the plot did work quite well together, and I'm sure will progress throughout. I kinda felt that some things started, then moved onto another point then went back to the first point and it was like:
AAAAAAAAAAH, WHATS GOING ON? It wasn't that bad though, just my simple mind getting confused, so yeah, just make sure one thing leads to another to get a better flow and pace. The action didn't really escalate that much in this chapter, I'm sure it will for the next part, however you want an attention-grabbing first part to get people reading more. A few things I'd like to find out is: Why Brandon has this phobia of cats. I mean, is he born with it? Did something traumatic happen as a child? Maybe he had a cat before and something happened. I know you've probably already decided the back story, but it's something to think about. Another thing i'd like to ask YOU is what genre is this? Are you going to keep the story to fit genre boundaries or are you going to step out of the box? Make it creative, make it original xD (God, I sound foolish talking like this)

Now, moving onto characters. I'm going to start with Brandon. I agree with Isha in saying that he did sound slightly feminine. Maybe you could read more stories from a male character POV to get the gyst (aaak spelling) of a style to write in. I think you've explained each character quite well and have made them different. They have voices of their own so yeah :3. Okay, so now the characters don't have that many obvious strengths and weakenesses, though I know that will come in time with the story. I mean, of course we know Brandons one though. I don't have more to say, I hope that when Brandon gets conflicted with cats we see a different side to him, maybe angry? or emotional? something to think about.

Finally, the technical stuff. You maintained the same POV throughout (I know your more than capable of that). Now, because this is in first person, you have to make sure the other characters have enough dialogue and action to get an idea of what they're like. I, agreeing with Isha again, say that your sentances are a bit wordy, and getting over-described. I alos think the interior monologue sort of cancels out the action. And sure, we want to know what Brandon is thinking, however, if it's "I this" or I that all the time, it starts to get quite boring. In terms of your sentences, remember, don't over-describe. But when you do need to describe use longer sentences and for action scenes use shorter sentences. In terms of language, make sure you as an author don't intrude too much and let the story tell itself. And to finish, show don't tell!

Okay, hope I helped. Talk to you soon, keep writing!
~Tamara xxx

p.s. I would've reviewed this sooner but just when I was about to my brother stole the computer off me to revise. Stupid, stupid exams...
Someone told me there's a girl out there, with love in her eyes and flowers, in her hair.

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:28 pm
View Likes
Sins says...

I'm finally here!

Okay, I want to warn you about this review before I begin, Shubs. As I've already said, I'm going to concentrate more on sentence structure in this review. Because of that, other aspects of this review may suck... I'll obviously comment on other things like character, plot e.t.c. but I might not concentrate on them as much as I normally do. Enough of my rambling! I better get started. :)

What I'll do is go through this and change the areas where you're going wrong. I might leave a few comments about the sentence structure after some parts too, especially if I notice a pattern or anything. The bolded words will be words I've added, and I'll strikeout the words that I've gotten rid of.

Spoiler! :
I have always feared them. People would adore their curled up body, their velvet like furs, the stripes they bore, but me? It always triggers a spine-cracking fear inside of me. Touching them is a distinct thing; I’ve never even stood in front of them without my knees buckling. By them I mean cats and kittens. Yeah, those cute creations of God.

You had your tenses mixed a bit here, but that's not really a sentence structure problem. I actually edited this so it was in present tense, but reading on, the rest of the piece is in past tense. Nonetheless, this first paragraph does work in present tense, so you can keep it, if you want. For example, it could be the MC narrating the story from the present and looking back at events.

I forced my eyes shut as soon the door opened. Curiosity getting the better of me, I slightly opened the corner of my eye slightly from the corner, and was soon welcomed by a blurred image of Mrs. Skelel. Her shiny red earrings corrupted my vision for a nanosecond, before her smile engraved it.

“Yes, Brandon,” she spoke in a raspy tone. I shoved my feet back. I always used to maintain a good distance from her.

Thinking how rude I was acting I decided to open my eyes. But before doing that, I widened my eyes a bit more and carefully scanned the area that lay behind the door. For that, I had to slightly tilt my head slightly to get a the better view of the space that Mrs. Skelel didn’t occupy at the door, and once I was done, I opened my eyes. It took a moment for me to my eyes to regain my their vision back, and before it could do so, tiny ants crawled in front of me. Once I could see like a normal being, I dug out my hands into my satchel, and pulled out the big box I used to bring here for her everyday. The box with packets of gallons of milk for twenty cats. Twenty!

I'm noticing a pattern with the word slightly. Instead of putting that word before the noun you're describing, you need to put it after as you should be able to see by my edits. It's a little hard to explain, so I hope you can see what I mean by the edits I've done. As for other things, they're mostly things it's kind of hard to give advice on because they're typical mistakes for a person whose first language isn't English. Sometimes you add in words when they're not needed, for example.

Plastering a smile faker than Pamela Anderson’s …you get it, right? I stretched my hand to give the old lady her box. A half-impressed smile crept through onto her face as she held the box tightly, and I felt suddenly lighter. I didn’t have to wait any longer.

“Why don’t I treat you to a yummy bowl of soup, today, Brannie? What do you say?” she asked in the most tempting voice she could create, and traced my jaw line with her stick like hands. I withered my nose in disgust. As a reflex, my arms started shaking, and a tickling sensation crossed my upper arm.

Something else I think you tend to do is make it clear what you want to say, but word it a bit wrong... I think I can bring my English-Welsh education into this actually. If I translate something from Welsh word by word into English, it will be wrong. For example, if I translated, Dydw i ddim yn hoffi cathod gan ei fod nhw'n hyll iawn word by word into English, it would be I don't in like cats by it's being they're ugly very. You can see what that sentence is supposed to mean, but it's clearly wrongly phrased. What you probably do, which is totally understandable, is translate what you want to say word by word, right? Because of that, it's clear what you're trying to say in some of your phrases, but the technicality of the wording is a bit off... Does any of what I've just said make sense to you?

“As if I don’t know what you’re called. I know it’s Brandon, but ain’t that what everyone calls you by? I need to have somethin’ different, for Christ’s sake,” she replied gravely. Meekly, I just nodded in approval, against what I had in my mind. To divert my attention from the freak eighty year old something lady, I started looking at my shoes. I noticed how dirty they were, and how a layer of mud covered them. Then I started looking at her long purple robe. Whatever happened to her regular mourning black one? With those cat prints? Or were they tiger’s? I stretched my gaze upwards. Her red earrings dangled from her ears, and blood red lipstick polished her lips. Her face was unevenly wrinkled, folding to pouches at certain points of her skin, while other times it was as smooth as a road.

As if my words had triggered something inside her mind, she unclipped her mouth, and a sudden halitosis greeted me. A mixed breath of stale mushrooms and alcohol entered my nose. Since she was a customer, I couldn’t immediately bring a handkerchief or my hand to stop the stench from reaching my mouth, so I did the best thing. I retracted back, but slowly, making my movement appear intangible. My shoes created an ear-tickling sound as I did so, though. But no sooner, I felt something touching my hoodie, and with a grasp of her hand she pulled me in. Inside the house of terror-amongst twenty cats.

Ailurophobia. Sounds like a cute name, right? But for me, it arouses a sense of deep fear.

Reaction: Scanning every place for a cat, and if one found, then running for life.

Reaction: Imagining the scene every time the thought crosses my mind. First she (the cat) makes me tiny with her laser beam, which I haven’t yet figured out where she gets from, and then pounces on me like a tiger does on the Discovery channel.

There’ds be many more to be listed.

I cowered back in fear as I leaned back against the wall, sweat dripping from my face. I looked down to see a pool of sweat materializing. I continued gazing at it just to prevent my mind from bombarding. The ripple in the sweat pool hypnotized me for a second, so much that I forgot where I am.

I've noticed you sometimes using the same word in a sentence for describing the same thing... The first sentence in the paragraph above, for example. You've already said the MC's cowered back in fear, so the next time you mention him cowering back is redundant. I have noticed this with some other sentences, but I think the way to fix this is pretty easy. Whenever you use the same word in one sentence more than once, read over that sentence and think about if you really need that extra word.

I forgot that right now where I sit is exactly what a nightmare forms a part of. I forgot that where I was sitting right now was exactly what my nightmares were made of. I forgot that this place was is where I have had always dreaded to be at, and despite my preventions, I have had arrived here. I forgot that in moments, twenty cats would be released on me and before I even know knew it, I would be just a soul.

A rotten smell scudded through the air, forcing me to shut my nostrils. I couldn’t help but associate the smell with cats’ flesh, and the thought was more than just petrifying. My heartbeat accelerated, and even before I knew it, there’s was no trace of my heart. It’s was like it hasd vanished, just like that. Fear hasd paralyzed my brain so badly that instead of hoping to get out alive, I prayed for God to call me up. Away from this fug, away from the constant fear of living in a world together with cats.

You had a few more tense slip ups here. Nothing too major though.

I looked up, scared. The place was dauntingly small, and it seemed seeming like the walls were closing up in on me. There was nothing for a but furniture, and the floor was filled with dirt.

Soon, Mrs. Skelel appeared in the hallway and limping she made her way towards me. I never noticed before that she had a limp. I hugged my knees ever so tightly, and started rocking back and forth. Humming to a Hindu tune my grandma taught me when I was nine, I again scrunched shut my eyes shut again. I don’t didn't believe I would have the courage to face her, or her cats.

“Brandon, there are some of my friends are showing interest in meeting you,” she hissed and judging by the sudden warming up of the air near my ears, I knew she was near me. All the veins in my body contracted, and there’s was nothing left to bolster my fading courage. I have had become…helpless.

You’ve have to be brave, Bran. For mom and dad? A candy like sweet and smooth voice entered my ears. Christina. Amazed plus baffled at the same time, I bobbed my head so I could again hear the voice again. I know knew who she was, but I still couldn't can’t stillbelieve it.

Yes, it’s me. Wake up, sleepy head or it would will be the end (of you?).

As if the fear had been pulled out of my chest, I opened my eyes. These two sentences had been enough to boost my failing confidence. I am was ready to face anything now, or so I thought.

“Finally, Brannie,” she exclaimed, and erupted into a laughter. She sat crouched on the floor, boring into my eyes. Her eyes were deep red, just as her lips, and there was a shimmer of yellow at the center, which made it them look all the more horrid. I snapped my head towards the right, and refused to let her eyes lock gaze with mine.

“Never mind. Young boys like you deserve more than just meeting my friends. You should be feeding them yourselves. The stirring sensation your hands would feel when they stick their tongues at it them, would…just, well, blow your mind,” she said smugly. I watched in disgust as she closed her eyes, and took the feel(ing in?) herself. The very thought of a cat being anywhere near me made my heart seclude in between my chest.

“Never,” I bark. This new found courage makes made me glad for a moment, before I realized that now that I had it, it meant I had to be fair to it. I couldn’t let it go to garbage.

She narrowed her eyes, and her bony hands crept their way towards my hair, but I bolted up. Before she could even notice, I was sprinting out of the doomed hall. Since the my surroundings were was murky, with no source of light, but the little curtains filtered, I had to be careful not to trip over something. My laces were open, but I didn’t have time to look over such minuscule things. I had a bigger task at my in hand.

I bounced around the house, jumping over scattered things like milk bowls, and wool yarn on the floor. Although my body had released a gallon of adrenaline which had helped in my escape, my mind had gone numb. There was nothing running in it, and it most definitely seemed that it had gone blank. I was just like a zombie, but the difference was that I was running to save my life from an evil person rather than running to catch a prey.

“Brandon, how far would you go? Sprawly would catch you even before you can breathe next time,” a screeching voice, just like of a chalk against the board, reached me.

The dialogue above is worded a bit awkwardly, but I'm not sure what you're trying to say, so I can't really fix it... I think it may be a case of what I said earlier about translating things word by word.

I took a turn and came across a flight of stairs that would take me down. Before using them, I took a breath and held the staircase bar firmly. I realized by the slime-like glue sticking my hand to the bar that how much I had been sweating. I unglued my hand and started loping down. To be more careful and quick, I took two steps at a time, and sometimes I even lost my balance.

When I was about to reach the end, I noticed a pack of black and white stuffed toys lining up in the way. Curse my luck or me, apparently these stuffed toys could even move. As they tremulously moved tremulously, an electric current like thing crawled through my neck spreading to my whole body. I stood there, numbness taking over my body again. One of them started up the stairs, and soon she was three stairs far away from me. The moment my eyes met hers, my vision became groggy while my limbs being denied their blood supply. Her eyes glinted with a streak of red, and it most obviously resembled the colour of my blood.

She has a lust for your blood, Bran. My mind cried.

When I finally realized the maelstrom I had been caught up in, I screamed. “You can’t.”

“What do you mean,we can’t?” I whirled back to see Mrs. Skelel elegantly climbing down the stairs. “Heh?”

A serene look had overtaken her earlier sordid one, and contempt plastered her face. It was like she had got what she had wanted. I could just stare at her in horror. She shifted her head towards my right, and began speaking to the leader of the cats. “I told you I’d prepare red soup for you today, didn’t I?” She smiled.

I turned my head to look at the cat, which had surprisingly stopped at the place I had last seen her at. As if the words Mrs. Skelel had said made sense to her, she wagged her head in approval. I could feel my nerves clamping tight.

“Please…let me go, Mrs. -”

“And let my cats die of hunger?” she quizzed, furrowing her eyebrows. Rolling her eyes, and clutching tightly to her robe she shook her head. “Death is what you get for hating my cats,” she griped.

“Just this time,” I pleaded.

“I made a promise. I’d eliminate every cat hater from the world. Mama has to keep her promise she made to her kids, doesn’t she?” she asked in the most jejune tone.

“Puh...lease?”

“Sprawly, attack.” She pointed her finger towards me and even before I could know it before I knew it, I was being hauled down by the cat with my jeans clenched tight between her two rows of teeth. I resisted by holding the bar tightly, but adamantly Mrs. Skelel took my fingers, unglued their hold, and pushed them to weaken my grasp.

I was howling now, tears stinging up my eyes and freezing at the canthus. There came a time when all I could hear was my cries, nothing beyond it. It felt awfully pathetic; to have become partially deaf. As the rule of the nature would have it the cat emerged victorious, and my cadaver was lying down with eyes open. Blood spilled around me, making a bigger radius than what my sweat pool had formed up back there. Helpless, my soul stepped out of the dead matter, and I see saw everything unfolding before my eyes.

My corpse being eaten away by the cats, and a resonating laughter by Mrs. Skelel. Every time my flesh was being ripped into shreds, my heart gave out a lurch. A crack reverberated as they bit on my bones. I noticed my sneakers had fallen a good distance away from my body, and the untied laces were soaked up in blood. My eyes were open and stared up at the ceiling aimlessly. Twenty of cats feasted on me, while I just stood there, watching it happen. What a lovely sight... xD

Cats had won the war; I had been defeated. This was the most feeble I had ever felt as a guy.

“Brandon, wake up!” A blaring tone rang in my ear. I lazily opened my eyes and immediately shut them as a ray of sunlight reached them. I tossed in my bed and the sudden realization hits me. It was just a dream? I trace my face with my palm, to find nothing but sweat. No blood? My heart let out a song of joy. I looked more further into the distance to find my sneakers still on, with no trace of blood anywhere.

I snapped my head to my right to find my alarm singing the same monotonous song it always used to, “Brandon, wake up!”

A smile crept on my face. It was just a dream. Just a freaking dream!

Even though you fear them, dude, they can’t harm you. Just remember.” I reminded myself.

Phew, that took longer than I thought! I have tried to avoid repeating the slip ups Isha's already mentioned, but knowing me, there might be one or two in there that I missed.

Okay, so! Overall, I liked this, Shubs. The idea of the whole thing amused me greatly. Also, I feel very special for being mentioned in that spoiler at the beginning, not that it has anything to do with this review, but hey, I thought I'd mention that. In this, I really liked your characters. Mrs. Skelel was really interesting to read about, and I liked the voice of your MC too, not forgetting the demon cats, of course. ;) As for him sounding like a girl or whatever, pfft, if I was as terrified of cats as he was, I'd be acting like a proper girl. >.<

Okay, so critiques... I'm going to try and make these mostly about sentence structure and what not because I know you want help with that. Isha's actually given you some god bits of advice on that, and so has ArcticMonkey/Inbetweener, so be sure to take in what they've said about it too. Before I do begin, I want to say that explaining grammar and technicality of writing isn't exactly what I'm that good at, so there may be some stuff that I say that won't make any sense to you... but hopefully, you'll be able to make some sense of it. That's me for you!

The main reason I think your phrasing is a bit off sometimes is simply because of something you can't help, which is the fact that English isn't your first language. Because my first written language is Welsh, I myself struggle with phrasing things correctly sometimes, so I have a fairly good idea of how hard it is to translate things sometimes. There's nothing I can really say that will for sure help you here because it is just one of those things, but what I will say is this: when you do translate something from your language into English, try not to translate it word by word. Think about it more, I guess. What you could do is find a book, then find a phrase that's similar to what you're trying to say. Use that example in the book to help you try and phrase what you're writing down... err, does that make sense?

That's the only thing I can really notice as a pattern in your writing when it comes to phrasing and sentence structure. I told you I sucked at this, didn't I? In general, it's just things like placing words in the wrong places in sentences. Nothing much I personally can really give you advice on... One thing I did notice when reading this though was how much your phrasing and sentence structure actually has improved since I first started reviewing your stuff. I think that goes to show that your sentence structure is improving greatly as it is now, in a few years, you won't be having any real problem with phrasing. Basically, try not to stress over it. With the help of school and YWS, soon enough, your struggles with phrasing will be a thing of the past.

As for other critiques, I only really have one, and it's something Isha's said anyway. xD Basically, I agree with what she said about some of your transitions being a bit jumpy. For example, when Brandon got pulled into the house, I had to read over that scene again to realise that he had actually been pulled into the house. It was like all of a sudden, he was on the floor, hugging his knees. It isn't a huge problem really. You just need to make sure that every time you change a scene, the transition must be smooth and clear.

Keep writing,

xoxo Skins
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

721 Reviews

Reviews: 721
Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:12 am
View Likes
Azila says...

Shrubbery! I have finally arrived and I am going to do my best to give a good review. Just a warning, before I get started: it's almost 3:00am in my timezone and I'm rather exhausted right now, so please excuse me if I start rambling incomprehensibly.

Oh, and I 'd like to quickly say how proud this makes me:
And thanks to Azila for talking about the phobia which triggered a story in my mind.
:') I'm so glad our little chat inspired you! I actually don't think there's anything quite so magical as inspiring a writer to write about something, so as sappy as this might sound I am very touched.

Before I get on to the real review, I'll just say that you do have a lot of little mistakes that need fixing. Since both Skins and Isha have given you incredibly thorough nit-picks, I'm not going to do the same, but you really do need to work on it. Both of them mentioned your tense problems, and it's very true that those were distracting when I read this. I know English isn't your first language, and I have a tremendous amount of respect for you for how well you are writing even though you didn't grow up speaking the language. It actually blows me away! But that doesn't mean you shouldn't keep working on English grammar and such. If you have any questions about grammar, or want help with tenses or punctuation or... well... anything at all, feel free to PM me or post on my wall. I'll be more than happy to help you out to the best of my ability. :}

That little ramble over with, I'd like to say that I think you've dona an excellent job here. The hysteria is palpable. You said you wanted me to know how you feel around cats, and if this is honestly how you feel then I am truly sorry for you! :O I got freaked out/panicked just reading some parts of this, and I love cats. Nicely done with that--it felt very nightmarish, that's for sure. Other reviewers have mentioned the choppy, confusing feeling that the piece has... and I think they're absolutely right, but I actually wonder if that's what you were going for. After all, dreams are usually very convoluted and non-linear, so that makes it really feel like it's a dream, if you ask me.

On that topic, I'd like to talk about the dream a little bit. Firstly, starting with a dream is very cliché. It's actually one of those things that people give as an example of things that you should avoid because everyone does them. Ending with "and it was all a dream" isn't actually kind of frowned upon. I'm not saying I personally think it's bad, but a lot of people do, so I'm just warning you. I don't have a problem with the idea of starting with a dream sequence (I actually think it could work really well in this case) but I do think this one could have been handled more effectively. Let me explain.

The point of the dream is to show the readers that he's afraid of cats, right? It's meant to introduce readers to his phobia. All in all, I think it did a pretty good job of that... but it kind of gave me the impression that he has a phobia of everything, since he's terrified/disgusted pretty much the whole time. If I hadn't known already that this was a piece about Ailurophobia, I wouldn't have been able to tell that it was the cats that were scaring him until a good ways into the piece--I would have thought he was just super-paranoid. I suggest toning things down in between the episodes where he actually sees cats? If you make there be more of a different from how he acts when cats are around to how he acts when cats aren't around, then that would solve this problem? If I were you I would really try and make the cat-scenes stand out more as pinnacles of fear.

As for the dream itself, I'm sort of on the fence about it. You did a good job of making it nightmarish--a little too good, if you ask me. Dreams can go on and on with random turns of events and changes of emotion that make next to no sense, but reading about that isn't very much fun. xD I know you wanted the dream to be a big deal, but maybe tone it down a little bit? I found it kind of hard to follow.

I'm also not exactly sure when the dream started. Was the very beginning part of it? I'm also confused by what he was doing in the beginning. Is he cat-sitting or something? Why is he in Mrs. Skelel's house? O.o Maybe I missed something when I was reading, or that my brain is just too tired to think (I did mention that it's 3:00 am right now, right?) but those two things didn't really make sense to me.

I'm also not sure about whether or not you need the first paragraph. You've heard of Showing vs. Telling, right? Well it seems to me that the point of the whole chapter is to show that he's ailurophobic. So why ruin all that by telling it to us right in the beginning like that? I think you could do without that introductory paragraph completely and just make it cut straight to the "action."

Oh, one more thing before I stop this rambling review and go to bed: Isha and Monkey mentioned that Brandon seems girlish--I have to agree with Skins on this one--don't worry about it. Maybe he is a bit girlish, but so what? I figured it out eventually, and frankly I don't see anything wrong with males showing fear. It makes them more interesting characters, if you ask me.

Okay, I'm done. You've got interesting work here, Shrubs! I am honored to have helped you be inspired to write it. Let me know if you need anything at all, okay?

a

P.S. I'd never heard of Pamela Anderson before reading this. Well, I'd heard the name but I couldn't remember whether or not I actually knew anything about her. When I read that line I did a Google images search for her, and... uh... I am scarred for life. =.=

770 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 770
Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:39 pm
View Likes
borntobeawriter says...

Hey there Shubhi! Well, everything's been said, has it not? >.<

Well, I thought this was interesting and different. You did well to portray Brandon's fear.

I'd have to say how confused I was, though. I mean, I didn't understand that he got pulled into the house. Then that he hadn't even seen a cat yet, just that he was over reacting. I know fear does that to you but still, I was confused.

Also, why did he run down the hallway? I mean, wasn't he leaning against the door? Why didn't he just knock the old lady down and run out?

You see, the thing with this dream is that everything was so realistic. His fear, the creepy old lady, everything. And dreams, they aren't that real. There's always something off in the dream, and there was nothing off here. Except for the cats wanting to eat him, but if this was horror, then there was nothing weird there, you know? Do you understand what I mean?

I thought you did a good job at describe his fear and panic. I was just confused about what was happening.

As for the dream. I was not super pleased to find out it was a dream. As Azila mentioned, this is something that has been done way too much. Some agents reject stories when they start this way. Because it's like you were cheating your reader by having such a big build up that leads to nothing, you know? Unless it's a huge part of your novel, then that's another story.

I liked what you did with this. It was quite believable, nice work, Daughter.

Mom :D

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Wed May 18, 2011 6:51 pm
View Likes
Shearwater says...

Hey, Shru! <3

I'm here to review this for you, remember I said I would but I just got the time to do so. Hopefully you don't mind me being late. I always seem to have a knack for that. ;)
Nitpicks & Comments

By them I mean cats and kittens. Yeah, those cute creations of God.

I think you should've made the 'cute' seem a little more sarcastic or use something different to explain them, you know? Right now, it's a little weird that he'd be calling them cute even though he hates cats.

To divert my attention from the freak eighty year old something lady, I started looking at my shoes.

You're making your sentences too wordy with the actions that your character does. This can easily be simplified to: To divert my attention, I started looking at my shoes.
1. We already know who he's referring to.
2. Chunky, cluttered descriptions like this will make your piece difficult to read because we'll be over-drinking everything instead of breezily reading it by. It forces the reader's the picture everything exactly the way you picture it and leaves their mind unable to freely imagine the scenes for themselves, you know? Try to tone it done a little.

I'm sure it's spelled, Ma'am. lol, I would know. I live in Alabama.

This doesn't really sound like a cute name to me, xD. It sounds scientific and foreign with a touch of fear since it's a long complicated word. There's not cuteness to it. But maybe it's different for others. I would've just described it another way.

Overall

Alright, now we get to the overall part of this. I’m just going to point out a few things and I’m sorry if anything I say has been repeated by the other reviewers. I merely skimmed those reviews and touched upon some things but I don’t think it’s much, really. Anyway, just bare with me for the next few lines.

Firstly, I want to start with your introduction. It was good, it provoked some curiosity with what topic you were talking about and reeled me in. However once we continue with the story, your descriptions get in the way and almost burn out the flare that you had going.

So, that brings us to the descriptions. I know that I’ve mentioned this plenty of times before and I also know that you struggle with this in most of your writing. What you have is too much prolix description in your story that it makes it hard to picture. Remember what I said in point two in one of the nitpicks above. As you always say, it’s spoon-feeding us the imagery. Remember that simplicity works it’s wonders too and there’s no need to over-do your descriptions.

However, your descriptions were quite good. I actually enjoyed some of them and the way you creatively decided to word them. It was quite interesting to see that side of writing, I liked it. So keep that much up! ^.^)b

For the character, I know it was just his dream and what-not but instead of just being afraid of cats, he seemed to be paranoid of everything. Spoons might even scare the poor kid if he imagined a cat’s reflection in it. With this said, his fear almost seems like it eats him alive so how does he get by everyday if he thinks like that? I would've just killed myself and gone to bed in peace or tried therapy. Anyway, most of this chapter was just a dream so I can’t really say anything about his character towards regular life and weather it’s the same behavior outside the dream or not.

He could be a normal kid but when seeing a cat, freaks out to the max which could make things interesting but if you make him checking every nook and cranny like some kind of freak, I might not like reading this because the novel would be drowned in these fearful emotions. Um, hopefully what I said makes sense, PM me if it doesn’t. I kind of had a hard time explaining that. :c

Overall, this actually have some great potential. I love the idea of a boy having a paranoia for cats. It might create some fun scenes in the future which I’ll love reading about, lol. ^.^

Well, that’s about it for this review. Hopefully it helps in some way or another. Keep writing and if you have any questions, you know exactly how to find me! <3

-Pink
There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.
-W. Somerset Maugham

Life is the art of drawing sufficient conclusions from insufficient premises.
— Samuel Butler