z

Young Writers Society

Thoughts of a Compulsive Liar

532 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 532
Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:56 am
GeeLyria says...

Okay. o.o Don't stare at me like that. Hahah... This character is obnoxious!! I wanted to challege myself to do something different from what I've written so far! And I thought lies would make a good topic after listening to "Secrets" by OneRepublic. The truth is I had fun, because this character is TERRIBLE! :lol:

Thanks to Charlie II for helping me organize! I'm your fan, Charlie! xD

~Thoughts of a Compulsive Liar~

I am a compulsive liar.

In fact, that's the only truth I've said in a long time. Lying is something that comes naturally to me, ever since I was little. It's something I need to do. I'm lying before I even notice it. It's ironic, but fun. People around me never get bored.

I have a different personality wherever I go. Some people think that's bad. But look at it this way; I'm telling them what they want to hear, therefore everyone's happy. With my grandma I'm an angel and in school I'm a riot!

You can't say I'm just a "wannabe" -- that is unless you lie.

Truth is, I'm always me; a pathological liar. (I bet you're dying to ask me what would happen if my worlds collide!) And I'll gladly answer; I'll make up some stories to cover up old ones.

Easy, simple, fun! Accept it -- you're never bored around me.

Actually, lying can be good. Maybe if you walk in my shoes for a little while you'll understand me better.

Now, don't label me as a Liar. Seriously, that's wrong. Sounds like I'm a bad person, when in reality, I'm not. I would call it being highly creative -- most of my lies did happen, but I just exaggerated them a little.. You know, just to make life a little more interesting.

Perhaps now you are struggling whether if the first sentence is true or not. Do you believe me when I say I'm a compulsive liar?

Because... I could be lying, you know.. ;)
Last edited by GeeLyria on Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:04 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Noob is a state of being, not a length of time. ~Ego

"Serás del tamaño de tus pensamientos; no te permitas fracasar."

1487 Reviews

Reviews: 1487
Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:28 am
View Likes
IcyFlame says...

O.O I shall stare at you if I want Sol :P
I best get onto the reviewing.

Solvalery wrote:You can't say I'm just a "wannabe" -- that is unless you lie too.

Solvalery wrote:Do you ever feel people is areignoring you?

Solvalery wrote: Like for example, that one day my boyfriend was ignoring me. Explain why. Is it a relationship threating argument or is your MC just blowing it out of proportion? I told him the mall's security guard was following me all around the mall after saying he had a crush on me. Man, it worked! He was walking next to me in less than half an hour. We are still together. Now tell me, is lying bad? I saved a relationship, I found a great solution to my problem.

Solvalery wrote:Perhaps now you are struggling whether if the first sentence is true or not. Do you believe me when I say I'm a compulsive liar? haha I love this conundrum!! :D

Because... maybe I'm lying, you neverknow.

I loved this :) It was easy to read and I love the different MC, it's nice to read something tht doesn't follow the normal rules of getting you to empathise with the character, you can just laugh at their descriptions. Good work!

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:20 pm
View Likes
Temi says...

I love this piece cause it's funny and witty. The diction was self-explantory making the reader understand the piece. Nice one! Keep it up
Tend your flame. It's what all we've got.

498 Reviews

Reviews: 498
Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:14 pm
View Likes
theotherone says...

Hey Sol, I'm here as requested! :)

I'm going to begin with the nitpicks and then go on my overall impression of your story.
Truth is comma, I'm always me; a pathological liar.

They say we never know what we have until it's gone, right?

Nice story. I was confused at the end, hopefully it was meant to be that way. ;)
I don't have much to say plot wise, apart from maybe a little bit more. Like some more of her lying, or even a flash back to show us what's her friend's reaction to her problem and stuff like that. A little bit more of her personality would be great too. :)

Keep on working!

-Other One
Behind every mask, lies a man that can't live in his own skin. - Woe is Me <3
Need a reviewer? I don't bite, I promise. :) ---> viewtopic.php?f=188&t=76466

140 Reviews

Reviews: 140
Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:53 pm
View Likes
XxMattxX says...

Hello, my dear swola swola!
I shall be your reviewer for this fine evening!
Grammar is in red.
others are in blue.
Solvalery wrote:
~Thoughts of a Compulsive Liar~

I'm
a compulsive liar.
-You use a LOT of contractions in this piece for the remainder of your story. It just doesn't make sense to say "I am".. so I would change it to increase flow and keep consistency. It sounds a whole lot better, also.

In fact, that's the only truth I've said in a long time. Lying is something that comes naturally *to me, ever since I was little. It's something I need to do. I'm lying before I even notice it. Maybe it sounds ironic, but it's fun.It's ironic, but fun.-( no questioning needed)- People around me never get bored.
* "In" me sound funky. Funky isn't cool bro.
I have a different personality wherever I go. Some ( people) think that's bad. But look at it this way; I'm telling people what they want to hear, therefore everyone's happy. With my grandma I'm an angel and in school I'm a riot!
GAAHHH! That just sounds cheesy for some reason... try this-

One minute, I'm an angel with my grandmother- and the next, I'm a riot at school.
You can't say I'm just a "wannabe" -- that is unless you lie.

Truth is, I'm always me; a pathological liar. (I bet you're dying to ask me what would happen if my worlds collide!) And I'll gladly answer; I'll make up some stories to cover up old ones.

Easy, simple, fun! Accept it -- you're never bored around me.

Actually, lying can be good. Maybe if you'd walk in my shoes for a little once while you'd understand me better actually understand me.

-THIS is where the change in tone should occur. No more "happy idleness"- get serious. The "happy act" could get a little annoying after a while, if you know what I mean. So thanks for moving it on!
They say we never know what we have until it's gone, right? Do you ever feel people are ignoring you? They are obviously forgetting what they have, you gotta remind them. And one of the best ways is making them feel like they are losing you, make them feel jealousy.

Like for example, that one day my boyfriend was ignoring me.-
>space<
I told him (that) the mall's security guard was following me all around the mall after saying he had a crush on me. Man, it worked! He was walking next to me in less than half an hour. We are still together. Now tell me, was lying bad? It saved my relationship,I found a great solution to my problem.

Now, don't label me as a Liar. Seriously, it sounds wrong that's wrong.Sounds like I am a bad person while I really am notYou are making look like a bad person, when in reality, I'm not. I would call it being highly creative -- most of my lies did happenwere truths to begin with, but I exaggerate everything a bit just exaggerated them a little. I make life a little more interesting. You know it's true! You know, just to make life a little more interesting.

Perhaps now you are struggling whether if the first sentence is true or not.Do you think a was lying about my first line? Do you believe me when I say I'm a compulsive liar?

Because... maybe I'm lying, I could be lying, you know. ;)

Overall:
Okay, at first I actually liked this piece. it was attractive, catchy- and it held my attention.
But then it became redundant- then annoyingly redundant in some places.

Bottom line. I love you, but there are PLENTY of ways you could rephrase this whole piece. The sentences are a little slow and they don't flow too well, and you seem to stay on questions more than detail and ideas.
Focus on the story- let us get to know the character from actual actions. Not just what we are told, okay?

SO this is still nice, I still "liked" it, but just try to smooth out a few areas. That's it.
Thanks!( sorry for being harsh).
Keep Writing!
--------------------------------
-Jojo
Solvalery/GeeLyria Fans
Link

82 Reviews

Reviews: 82
Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:57 pm
View Likes
Renn says...

xD
I really liked this. The mood was set immediately and carried on throughout the piece. The moment I started reading I somehow knew it would end something like the way it did. ;D But that's a good thing, it's really funny and brings a new light on being a lair. Not many people can make lying sound as good as you make it. xD congrats.
'Evil exists in all of us Torak. Some fight it. Some feed it. That is how it has always been.'

"There is always a choice," said Torak, and he backed off the cliff.

Reviews: 3
Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:26 am
View Likes
christalynnalice says...

This was very cool, reminds me of my friend Paul. Very well written, I liked it. Just wish it was a little longer, but all in all good =)
THE FUTURE IS BULLETPROOF, THE AFTERMATH IS SECONDARY <3

270 Reviews

Reviews: 270
Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:17 am
View Likes
fireheartedkaratepup says...

Disagree with Jojo on the angel/riot line. I like it.

Funny thing is, I was just reading a series (manga) about a compulsive liar. (I seem to have a knack for that.)

Um..... I wanna give a review, but my brain is totally shot right now. I need sleep.

Overall, really liked this.

.........I just went back and realized I totally skipped over part of this. >.<

I'll come back later.
"Ok, Lolpup. You can be a girl worth fighting for."
--Pengu

Reviews: 2
Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:44 am
View Likes
WhiteWolf says...

I thought it was a pretty good story, it was definitely interesting, and it was a lot different from what I usually read, and that made me love it all the more! I think it would be cool if you wrote more stories like this and have fun writing!
Life is like a blank book, nothing happens until you start writing your own story.

108 Reviews

Reviews: 108
Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:39 pm
View Likes
bluewaterlily says...

Solvy this was good. :)

Like for example, that one day my boyfriend was ignoring me.

I told him that the mall's security guard was following me around after saying he had a crush on me. Man, it worked! He was walking next to me in less than half an hour. We are still together. Now tell me, was lying bad? It saved my relationship.
This part was really funny. XD Best part of the story.

I loved your story. The MC was a "riot". The only thing that I can think of that would make it better would be to give more humorous examples of when lying helped the MC out.

Good job and keep writing~
Blue.
"A poet is, before anything else, a person who is passionately in love with language." - W.H. Auden

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:40 pm
View Likes
matthewmazer says...

This is actually pretty cool and funny. I've also gotta agree with most of it. HAHA :-). Awesome
We've all been sorry. We've all been hurt. How we survive is what makes us who we are.
{20150529)

152 Reviews

Reviews: 152
Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:27 pm
View Likes
harshita3chaarag says...

wow!!! This was awesome!!! Good job yaar!! LOved it... though i expected it to be goo( after all it came from you!!!) But i didn't expect it to be so mind blowing!!!! Keep it up!!! Great job!!:)
The answers lie within.. You only need to look.. :)

Random avatar

Reviews: 313
Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:34 pm
View Likes
TylynRae says...

Hey there =]. I really liked this piece. The style is a bit different for me, since I haven't been reviewing as much as I should be doing. But I really really liked it. It flowed well and it was easy to understand, not to mention it made me laugh a little at the end about whether or not to believe what happened in the story anyway. It was very creative. keep it up =]
TylynTyrannosaurus<3 (tydecker777)

138 Reviews

Reviews: 138
Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:43 pm
View Likes
MadameLuxestrange says...

This was really funny. I actually enjoyed this a lot. The whole question of whether the story we're reading is a lie or not really keeps the piece going. However, I thought that there should have been more of a plot. I think your character was well made up, I just think that you should put her in an actaul story.

Cheers,
Luxe
...or dear Bellatrix, who likes to play with her food before she eats it?
Fear makes the wolf seem bigger.
I got attacked by a swan.

76 Reviews

Reviews: 76
Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:41 pm
View Likes
Formslipper says...

I read it. You must know, I'm scathingly honest.

Is there a "Soliloquy" section to put this in? Where's the characters, the conflict, the setting? Why is this popular?

Even strength must bow to wisdom sometimes.
— Rick Riordan, The Lightning Thief