z

Young Writers Society

Hatched [ 1 ] *Revised Version*

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:36 pm
jDawn says...

Spoiler! :
Hey guys, this is the revised version of hatched, I hope it's a little better than the draft! :smt001 And again, I will extend this A.S.A.P.
Page- page.php?id=730

A crack spread down the egg; allowing the milky white substance inside spill out across the warm incubator.

My eyes barely opened into slits and I could only just make out a man hovering over me. A Hand lens was grasped in his sweaty palms.

“ Dr. Preston! Dr. Preston, over here,” the man beckoned, though he didn't take his eyes of my wondering face.

Dr. Preston, a skinny man with thinning gray hair and a white lab coat hurried over the the man's side.

“Holy cow! Mr. Hanna, fetch me a pair of gloves!” Dr. Preston beamed. He leaned down in front of my face as he lifted me into his hands, I was just the size of both his hands, maybe a little bigger.

“ I think I'll name you Cas.”

So, I was born. Living in the Factory for sixteen years, taking classes from trained scientists as school, and making friends with other people here. Being born and raised in a science lab isn't as bad as you'd think.

I wasn't what you'd call a normal human being, but nobody born here really was normal. We weren't birds. Ha, not even close. We're better. No chance of us bleeding to death- and if we bleed that much nothing will happen. As far as self defense goes, we were genetically modified for super strength. We weren't humans, we we're hatched.

Unfortunatly, every science experiment has it's mistakes. That's were the Poison Ones come in, all starting with Sean and Helena, partners in crime. Instead of white eggs they were black and instead of the thick white substance inside they're was a thin velvet red substance, like blood. They were bad eggs. When I saw bad I mean, destroying science labs, threatening the staff, stealing, and they both have anger management problems that can be deadly.

Sean and Helena had always been against the factory, I guess it was almost natural. They started an army, a rebellion, when they were both fourteen. Hatching eggs of their own. It kept going until they out numbered us by about a hundred Far away, hidden from the factory they were, and we just about forgot them. Nobody has heard from them since, until last night that is. Because last night Helena returned to The Factory.

----

Thunder cracked in the dark, gray sky. Storm clouds hanging in the air like a dark gray moss hovering above us. I heard a knock on my door, and I opened it although I knew if the staff knew I had I'd be in trouble since it was after curfew.

My friend Finley was standing there, his brown hair wild and his Factory sweat shirt thrown on inside out as if he'd been in a hurry to be here.

He walked in and shut the door hastily. His eyes were gloomy, but drooped and tired like he hadn't been sleeping real well.

Before I had a chance to ask him why he was here, he opened his mouth.

"Helena's back," he announced. I was caught off guard, and I wasn't sure I believed him. There's no way she's back, and how would Finley know if she was?

" That can't be,” I stammered, “How do you know that?" Finley frowned as if he didn't want to talk about it.

" I saw her in the library, but I don't think she saw me." Finey replied softly. I cupped my hand over my mouth when I realized he was being truthful.

" Are you sure it was her?" I questioned, and Finley nodded. " Was Sean or the others with her?" I asked and he silently shook his head.

"No, I think she was looking for something here though," he said.

A piercing scream rang out from down the hall, and we recognized it immediately. Bast, Finley's thirteen year old sister.

I took off down the hall after Finley, ignoring shouts from the staff and wandering people. It hit me, Finley was heading towards the library. Where Helena was.
Last edited by jDawn on Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"They can put me in prison but they can't stop my face from breakin' out."

" A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."

-Adam Young, My Hero <3

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:31 am
CompleteOblivion52 says...

Hey, hopefully I can be of assistance by reviewing your work (excuse me- it's my first time P: )

Your plot line seems interesting, but I'm not quite sure what to expect. And although leaving a reader in suspense is a really good skill, I would suggest that you introduce the whole scheme of things a little better.

So, I was born. Living in the Factory for sixteen years, taking classes from trained scientists as school, and making friends with other people here. Being born and raised in a science lab isn't as bad as you'd think.

I wasn't what you'd call a normal human being, but nobody born here really was normal. We weren't birds. Ha, not even close. We're better. No chance of us bleeding to death- and if we bleed that much nothing will happen. As far as self defense goes, we were genetically modified for super strength. We weren't humans, we we're hatched.

If you explained more about this species' purpose around here, perhaps being more descriptive and elaborating on the place and the abilities of this species. I'd also suggest that you assign them a name, like you did for the "Poison Ones". Like that would be a sub-species.. so what's will the whole group be called? ( I hope you catch my drift here.)
I also like
We weren't humans, we we're hatched.

But you're stating the obvious by saying that they weren't humans (humans aren't hatched from eggs). So if you changed human to something else (maybe even birds) then i think that would be a really good line to end your paragraph ( the one to introduce the purpose of the species/ description of the place).

I believe you have a pretty original story line here, so keep working on it and I'm sure it'll turn out great!
I really really like the idea of this mysterious species and I like the title of this piece.
Well done!

59 Reviews

Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:59 pm
jDawn says...

Thanks!

-Adam Young, My Hero <3

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:59 am
TheGreatIthy says...

Hey there, I'm back!

I see that you have made a lot of improvements since the last time I read it. The story is really coming along really well and I do like the suspence you have created at the end. That being said, I have a few minor things to correct for you:

Then there's the Poison Ones, all starting with Sean and Helena, partners in crime. Instead of white eggs they were black and instead of the thick white substance inside they're was a thin velvet red substance, like blood. They were bad eggs. When I saw bad I mean, destroying science labs, threatening the staff, stealing, and they both have anger management problems that can be deadly.

The transition between these two paragraphs seems a little weak to me. It goes from one extreme (the hached) and then all of a sudden you are talking about the other extreme (The Poison Ones). This can be fixed by one more sentence that links the two. I can't think of any really good examples at the moment, but something to the effect of, "Of course, as with any science experiment, there will be mistakes".

Where Helena is.

Just tense confusion here. You need to put 'where Helena 'was''.

we we're hatched.

This one would be 'we 'were' hatched'

Other than that, everything seems well polished. I hope you continue on with this story as I think it has a lot of potential to be something great!
Bees: They sting because they love!!

Will review for food!

191 Reviews

Reviews: 191
Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:22 pm
carbonCore says...

Spoiler! :
A crack spread [I think "ran" would work better here] down the egg; allowing the milky white substance inside spill out across the warm incubator.

My eyes barely opened into slits [Writing from first person does not allow you the freedom of describing your character like this - your character cannot see its own eyes open into slits] and I could only just make out a man hovering over me. A Hand lens [is "Hand" a brand? If it is not, this should be lower-case] was grasped in his sweaty palms.

“Dr. Preston! Dr. Preston, over here,” the man beckoned, though he didn't take his eyes off my wondering face. [Again, your character cannot see whether its face is wondering. You could describe the character wondering about something instead]

Dr. Preston, a skinny man with thinning gray hair and a white lab coat hurried over the the man's side.

“Holy cow! Mr. Hanna, fetch me a pair of gloves!” Dr. Preston beamed. He leaned down in front of my face as he lifted me into his hands. I was just the size of both his hands, maybe a little bigger.

“I think I'll name you Cas.”

So, I was born. Living in the Factory for sixteen years, taking classes from trained scientists as school, and making friends with other people here. Being born and raised in a science lab isn't as bad as you'd think. [Describing 16 years in one paragraph seems like a bit of a faux-pas to me in terms of writing]

I wasn't what you'd call a normal human being, but nobody born here really was normal. We weren't birds. Ha, not even close. We're better. No chance of us bleeding to death- and if we bleed that much nothing will happen. As far as self defense goes, we were genetically modified for super strength. We weren't humans, we were hatched.

Unfortunately, every science experiment has its mistakes. That's were the Poison Ones come in, all starting with Sean and Helena, partners in crime. Instead of white eggs they were black and instead of the thick white substance inside they're was a thin velvet red substance, like blood. They were bad eggs. When I say bad, I mean destroying science labs, threatening the staff, stealing, and they both have anger management problems that can be deadly.

Sean and Helena had always been against the factory, I guess it was almost natural. They started an army, a rebellion, when they were both fourteen. Hatching eggs of their own. [So... they were mating...? Where did the eggs come from?] It kept going until they out numbered us by about a hundred. They were far away, hidden from the factorythey were, and we just about forgot them. Nobody has heard from them since, until last night that is. Because last night Helena returned to The Factory.

----

Thunder cracked in the dark, gray sky. Storm clouds hanging in the air like a dark gray moss hovering above us. I heard a knock on my door, and I opened it although I knew if the staff knew I had I'd be in trouble since it was after curfew. [Run-on sentence]

My friend Finley was standing there, his brown hair wild and his Factory sweat shirt thrown on inside out as if he'd been in a hurry to be here. [I would not say "as if he'd been in a hurry...". Just saying that the shirt was on inside out and his hair was all over the place gives the reader enough clues for them to guess that he was, in fact, in a hurry]

He walked in and shut the door hastily. His eyes were gloomy, but drooped and tired like he hadn't been sleeping real well. [Again, see the above comment. No need to state the obvious]

Before I had a chance to ask him why he was here, he opened his mouth.

"Helena's back," he announced. I was caught off guard, and I wasn't sure I believed him. There's no way she's back, and how would Finley know if she was?

"That can't be,” I stammered, “How do you know that?" Finley frowned as if he didn't want to talk about it. [So... he's out after the curfew, he charges into the door as if this was very, very important, and now he doesn't want to talk about it?]

"I saw her in the library, but I don't think she saw me." Finey replied softly. I cupped my hand over my mouth when I realized he was being truthful. [What made the main character realize he was being truthful?]

"Are you sure it was her?" I questioned, [Said-bookism. You should use "said" rather than "questioned", because the question mark at the end of the statement already makes it obvious that this was a question] and Finley nodded. " Was Sean or the others with her?" I asked and he silently shook his head.

"No, I think she was looking for something here though," he said.

A piercing scream rang out from down the hall, and we recognized it immediately. Bast, Finley's thirteen year old sister.

I took off down the hall after Finley, ignoring shouts from the staff and wandering people. It hit me, Finley was heading towards the library. Where Helena was. [Anti-climatic]

The spoiler above contains my full text review. My comments are in [red brackets]. A section of the text simply highlighted in red means that I fixed a spelling mistake. Words in orange are repetitions, and the last and first letters of two words in red mean that I removed a punctuation mark in between there.

First off, I'm not a fan of spending just a couple of paragraphs for the prologue. If I wrote this story, I would skip the prologue altogether, and gradually reveal the back-story during the rest of the novel. As it stands right now, the back-story you provide is not terribly important - it only served to show me that the MC is not human. There are more interesting ways to do this, such as inserting little clues during the novel that reveal the MC's non-human nature ("I picked up the glass vase; it rang quietly against my claws. Time to get a manicure, I thought to myself...", or something like that). If you absolutely must do a prologue, you should spend a little more time on it. Covering 16 years of the character's life in one paragraph is silly - either make it a few chapters or remove the paragraph, starting the next part with "It was sixteen years since I first saw Dr. Hanna's amazed eyes over me..."

Second, the MC must have some pretty amazing memory, since she / he managed to remember things happening moments after her / his birth. I'd run with an explanation that these beings have incredible memory, but then you never really say anything about this ability in the rest of the chapter. It tugs at the suspension of disbelief a little.

In terms of the plot, it is never explained what the purpose of the hatched ones is. Just from the way you write, I'm seeing them live as normal teenagers in "The Factory", attending school, having relationship problems, and so on. I don't see scientists plugging tubes into every one of their openings to perform ethically questionable experiments on them, I don't see hard-boiled drill sergeants training them into mindless killing machines, I don't see them locked in tiny cages to be slaughtered for meat in a starving post-apocalyptic dystopia - I'm just seeing scientists create life "because we felt like it". This would cost a lot of money to do, and so it is difficult to believe. I advise you to create a fantastic atmosphere, kind of like I did above there. An atmosphere colours your prose, deepens the reader's immersion, and perhaps defines a theme across the novel.

The Poison Ones also baffle me a bit. Are they simply evil for the sake of being evil? Or are they evil because, being born different, they were picked on, and basically turned into the monsters they are now? I mean, if I was called a "Poison One", I certainly wouldn't appreciate the people that called me that.

In my opinion, this story needs work - lots of background work in order to build a wonderful world where your reader can lose themselves. The premise of sentient hatched beings is interesting, and I want to see where you go with it - but before that, I want to be able to feel the world, and drown in it.

Best of luck.
_

59 Reviews

Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:39 pm
jDawn says...

Alright, thanks a bunch!

-Adam Young, My Hero <3

Reviews: 0
Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:24 pm
christiandfc says...

I'm digging this.

59 Reviews

Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:06 pm
jDawn says...

: D Thanks!

-Adam Young, My Hero <3

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:31 pm
Teardrop says...

I like it so far. I can see improvments from the previous version.

I think the little prologue thingy is still quite short though, but it does help explain a lot of things that happened it the story.

I also think that since you metioned a tad bit about what life is in the lab, maybe tell us more. They're experiments, yeah, but why were they made? Right now it seems like they just live their like it's some sort of boarding school and every day is pretty normal. ( Except for the time Helena comes back, hehe ) Anyway, my questions are why are these people made and what else do they do and what do these scientists do with them?

Keep Writing!

~ Teardrop
And are the doctors dancing in, while the ambulances sing. Another boy without a sharper knife. The moment, that's where I kill the conversation, wrap this up with a knife that loves to feel. How do you know how deep to go before it's real?
- Yeah Boy And Doll Face ~ Pierce The Veil

59 Reviews

Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:46 pm
jDawn says...

Okay, thanks!

-Adam Young, My Hero <3

All the turtles are related.
— Jack Hanna