z

Young Writers Society

The Mechanic, Chapter 1

100 Reviews

Reviews: 100
Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:07 pm
gsppcrocks10 says...

Hey all, this is my attempt at steampunk. I've recently become very interested in it, and decided to give writing some of it a shot.

Rip it to shreds.

EDIT: I'm working on fixing the pacing, I swear. xD

-----------

CHAPTER 1

AN OPPORTUNITY

Fairthen wasn’t a nice city by anyone’s standards. It was one of the main ports for the criminal underworld, and the city itself was a veritable hive of criminal activities; the Authorities didn’t even bother trying to stop it; there was just too much to keep track of. It was overcrowded and smelly, and many people were sleeping in the gutters.

Deborah Grierson was one of those people.

The nine year old girl woke up as a particularly large raindrop found its way up her nose. She sat bolt upright, sneezing violently. Her hair was dirty blonde and slightly curly, and her eyes were crystal blue. She blinked groggily, staggering to her feet and glancing at the sky. A solid wall of dark gray clouds stared menacingly down at her. She sighed and hugged herself, shivering. It was going to rain hard tonight. There would probably be lightning too, by the look of it. Just what I needed… She thought with a sigh.

She sighed again and straightened her clothes as well as she could, starting down the street. Men in tailcoats and breeches strode down the street, as well as women in either dresses or skirts. Some had mechanical arms or glass eyes. Automobiles clattered down the street, but only a few. They were expensive, and the coal to run them was more expensive still. Horses and carriages were much more popular. There was a large brawl going on a short way down the road, but nobody bothered to do anything about it; this sort of thing happened all the time.

She glanced up, seeing a zeppelin overhead. She shook her head. They’re crazy, flying that close when there’s obviously a storm coming…

Deb sighed. Then again, most outlaws were crazy. Actually, that was why a lot of them were outlaws in the first place. The clock tower above her struck ten times. She looked up at it. It was an enormous brass structure, five stories tall. This wasn’t very high compared to the one in the Capital, but it was the biggest building in the city, and the largest one that Deb had ever seen. One side of it was made from a thick glass, allowing people to see inside into the works of it. Deb had always been fascinated with how the clock worked; she spent at least an hour a day studying its insides, and watching the pendulum swing back and forth. The gears and weights were almost hypnotizing.

She sighed and started walking down the sidewalk, dodging past the brawl and into the road. A horse reared as she cut in front of it, whinnying loudly. Deb screamed, scrambling away and to the opposite side of the street as the rider swore violently at her. She heard those words several times a day; they didn’t really bother her.

Her stomach rumbled, and she grimaced. It was time to scrounge up something to eat. She pushed the door to a store open, slipping inside.

The storekeeper was a very birdlike man in his fifties. He had a pair of very thick glasses on that magnified his brown eyes by about fifty times, making him look almost like an insect. A pair of bushy gray eyebrows peered over the edges of the lenses. His nose was long and slightly hooked, and wrinkles plagued his face. He didn’t notice Deb.

She crept over to a shelf, grabbing a loaf of bread. Then she turned and ran, making a beeline for the door. The shopkeeper jumped. “HEY!” he shouted. He ran around the counter in an attempt to stop her, but she was already flinging the door open. She would have made her escape, if she hadn’t run into something solid.

Whatever it was smelled strongly of salt, tobacco, and alcohol. She looked up, eyes wide. It was a rather tall man; at least, he was tall in Deb’s opinion. But that wasn’t saying much, as she considered anything higher than her whopping height of four-foot four to be a tower. He wore a pair of breeches, a brown tailcoat, and a black cap. Tufts of red hair stuck out from under said cap, and he had a face full of messy stubble. He blinked his bright green eyes down at her, confused.

The shopkeeper caught up and grabbed at Deb’s arm. She screamed and tried to duck past the man, clutching the bread to her chest, but the man she’d run into caught her around the waist and stopped her.

“Wha’s th’ problem?” his voice was gruff, like sandpaper rubbing together.

“This damn street rat is trying to steal bread.”

He frowned, titling his head. “Is tha’ a problem?”

“YES!” the man shouted, face red. Deb flinched, trying and failing to squirm away from the tall man, but he held her fast.

“Well then, allow me.” He took a small bag of coins from a pocket and tossed it to the man. “This should be more than enough. Buy yourself a new pair of boots,” he said, eyeing the man’s worn gray leather shoes with distaste. He scowled, but he took the bag and went back into his shop. The tall man released her, and she took a step back, frightened. He laughed. “Now, don’ be scared, kid. ‘M not gonna ‘urt you.”

Deb wasn’t convinced. “What do you want?” she asked fearfully.

He sighed. “T’ ‘elp you. ’Ow long’ve you been on th’ streets, kid?”

Deb bit her lip and looked down. “As long as I can remember.”

He grinned slightly. “How’d y’ like t’ get ou’ ‘f ‘ere?”

She glanced up at him, eyes widening. “More than anything!”

He smiled, holding out a hand gloved in black leather. “Come wit’ me, then.”

She hesitated for only a second before taking his hand. What did she have to lose, after all?

He led her down the road, and rain began to fall, the little drops screaming down toward the ground before exploding into a million tiny shards of water as they collided with street, buildings, and occasionally people. A harsh wind began to blow, and Deb shivered as the raindrops were shoved into her face.

He frowned. “Y’ alrigh’ there?”

She nodded, shivering again. “I’m fine.”

He nodded again. “Th’ name’s Duncan, bu’ most call m’ Dunc.”

Deb smiled slightly, despite the cold. “Deborah, but I like Deb better.”

He nodded. “Well Deb, ‘ave y’ ever though’ ‘bout sailin’ th’ ocean?”

She tilted her head. “No, I haven’t.”

Duncan grinned. “Well, y’d better think about it now.”

Deb jumped as she heard a hollow thud when her foot hit the ground. She looked down and realized that they were on a long wooden dock. Floating in the water, tied up to said dock, was a large metal ship, probably stolen from the navy. The gangplank was down.

His grin widened. “Welcome t’ your new ‘ome. Th' Red Fancy.”
Last edited by gsppcrocks10 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just another quack spouting psychobabble.

"If I win, I'm a prodigy. If I lose, then I'm mad. That's the way history is written."

150 Reviews

Reviews: 150
Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:56 pm
irishfire says...

HI GSPY! :D

I shall review this now because you asked me so nicely xDD

Here I go...

Any time now...

*hears a "ding" in the distance* OK! HERE I GO!

Fairthen wasn’t a nice city by anyone’s standards. It was one of the main ports for the criminal underworld, and the city itself was a veritable hive of criminal activities; the Authorities didn’t even bother trying to stop it; there was just too much to keep track of it

I think the "it" is unneeded. It makes it sound odd. My feeling is you accidentally added it or something. But, easy to fix mi comapadre!

She sighed and started walking down the road, dodging past the brawl and into the road.

I thought she'd already started walking down the road?

A horse reared, whinnying loudly. Deb screamed, scrambling away and to the other side of the road as the rider swore violently at her. She heard those words several times a day; they didn’t really bother her. She pushed the door to a store open, slipping inside.

Uhh... this kinda confused me. I know there was a horse involved but...other than that. O_o

He nodded again. “Th’ name’s Duncan, bu’ mos’ call m’ Dunc.”

I love how you keep up with the accent here, but at this point, it's getting hard to understand what he's saying.

That's really all that I have to tear apart ^^

Overall:

I liked it! :D Your description was good and you managed to keep the story going while adding information!

Keep up the awesomesauce work Gspy!

- Irish :superman: <- Remember this guy? ;)
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Robert McCloskey

Teacher: What do we, in the U.S enjoy from places like Mexico?
Student: Wait, legally?

WARNING: This user carries a spatula.

119 Reviews

Reviews: 119
Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:28 pm
roon says...

Hey, Crocks.

Look! A review:

Things in red aren't essential and could probably be taken out, but it's personal choice. Red = ramble, make sure everything is pointful.

Fairthen wasn’t a nice city by anyone’s standards. It was one of the main ports for the criminal underworld, and the city itself was a veritable hive of criminal activities; the Authorities didn’t even bother trying to stop it; there was just too much to keep track of it. It was overcrowded and smelly, and many people were sleeping in the gutters.

Okay, good start, you’re setting the scene for the reader. Couple o’ things:

Fairthen? Fair means pretty, that’s what I thought when I initially saw it.
Also, I would remove ‘it’ from ‘keep track of it.’ you don’t need to say ‘it’, because there are lots of things to keep track of, not just that. Otherwise, an excellent beginning, it really grabs your attention because we’ve all been to places that were a bit manky. I like the next paragraph that’s only one line too, because it really stands out.

The nine year old girl woke up as a particularly large raindrop found its way up her nose. She sat bolt upright, sneezing violently. Her hair was dirty blonde and slightly curly, and her eyes were crystal blue. She blinked groggily, staggering to her feet and glancing at the sky. A solid wall of dark gray clouds stared menacingly down at her. She sighed and hugged herself, shivering. It was going to rain hard tonight. Probably lightning too, by the look of it. Just what I needed…

A really good description, I think you’ve covered all bases there. Just a couple of things again:
Lightning isn’t a verb, it’s a noun, so that sentence doesn’t make sense, you should say something like “There would probably be lightning too”
Secondly, you change from third to first person here, but it wouldn’t take too much to fix that.

She sighed and straightened her clothes as well as she could, starting down the street. Men in tailcoats strode down the street, as well as women in either dresses or skirts. Some had mechanical arms or glass eyes. Automobiles clattered down the street, but only a few. They were expensive, and the coal to run them was more expensive still. Horses and carriages were much more popular. There was a large brawl going on a short way down the street, but nobody bothered to do anything about it; this sort of thing happened all the time.

Okay, I’ve put ‘street’ in bold every time you say it, I think you’ll see the problem!
I think this sentence ‘Automobiles clattered down the street, but only a few.’ is awkwardly phrased, just say “A few automobiles clattered down the *word meaning street*” :P

Other than that, this is a really good paragraph, giving a picture of a bustling city, giving the reader a firm grasp on their surroundings.

Deb sighed. Then again, most outlaws were crazy. Actually, that was why a lot of them were outlaws in the first place. The clocktower above her struck ten times. She looked up at it. It was an enormous brass structure, five stories tall. This wasn’t very tall compared to the one in the Capital, but it was the biggest building in the city, and the biggest one that Deb had ever seen. One side of it was made from a thick glass, allowing people to see inside into the works of it. Deb had always been fascinated with how the clock worked; she spent at least an hour a day studying its insides, and watching the pendulum swing back and forth. The gears and weights were almost hypnotizing.

I don’t think clock tower is one word.
Also, almost is very passive, passive isn’t good.

However, this paragraph shows a passion of hers that can be developed later on, which is good.

She sighed and started walking down the road, dodging past the brawl and into the road. A horse reared, whinnying loudly. Deb screamed, scrambling away and to the other side of the road as the rider swore violently at her. She heard those words several times a day; they didn’t really bother her. She pushed the door to a store open, slipping inside.

Repetition again!
Also, “She heard those words several times a day” feels a little weak, maybe you should say something like “she was used to the rough behaviour of the city” that’s bad, but you know I have writer’s block so don’t laugh too hard. Anyways, you get the idea, make it bold.

The storekeeper was a very birdlike man in his fifties. He had a pair of very thick glasses on that magnified his brown eyes by about fifty times, causing him to look almost like an insect. A pair of bushy gray eyebrows peered over the edges of the lenses. His nose was long and slightly hooked, and wrinkles plagued his face. He didn’t notice Deb.

I love this description so much, it makes me want to give the insect man a hug, he sounds sweet. :’)
However! Almost makes an appearance again, and I’d replace ‘causing him to look’ with ‘making him look’, it feels better.

Whatever it was smelled strongly of salt, tobacco, and alcohol. She looked up, eyes wide. It was a rather tall man; at least, he was tall in Deb’s opinion. But that wasn’t saying much, as she considered anything taller than her whopping height of four-foot four to be tall. He wore a pair of breeches, a brown tailcoat, and a black cap. Tufts of red hair stuck out from under said cap, and he had a face full of messy stubble. He blinked his bright green eyes down at her, confused.

Okay, lose all the ‘tall’! Repetion is in bold.

“Wha’s th’ problem?” his voice was gruff, almost like sandpaper rubbing together.
“This damn street rat is trying to steal bread.”
He frowned, titling his head. “Is tha’ a problem?”

Okay, firstly, ow at the accent portrayal. Other than that, I now no longer want to hug bug man. Also, ‘almost’ is paying another visit.

“Well then, allow me.” He took a small bag of coins from a pocket and tossed it to the man. “This should be more than enough. Buy yourself a new pair of boots,” he said, eyeing the man’s worn gray leather boots *I’d say shoes, you’ve already said boots* with distaste. He scowled, but he took the bag and went back into his shop. The tall man released her, and she took a step back, frightened. He laughed. “Now, don’ be scared, kid. ‘M not gonna ‘urt you.”

Ow at the voice again. It’s really distracting, for me, but I’m weird so unless someone else says it as well, don’t feel obliged to do anything. Actually, don’t feel obliged to do anything I say, it’s your story. Also, why does she trust this man she knows nothing about. Say something about her naivety, or him having a trusting face or something. If she’s lived on the streets for that long, she’ll be very wary of strangers, because they’re dangerous.

Deb wasn’t convinced. “What do you want?” she asked fearfully.
He sighed. “T’ ‘elp you. ’Ow long’ve you been on th’ streets, kid?”
Deb bit her lip and looked down. “As long as I can remember.”
He grinned slightly. “How’d y’ like t’ get ou’ ‘f ‘ere?”
She glanced up at him, eyes widening. “More than anything!”
He smiled, holding out a hand gloved in black leather. “Come wit’ me, then.”
She hesitated for only a second before taking his hand. What did she have to lose, after all?

Ahhhhhh, don’t go with the man you don’t know, Deb. All she has to lose is her freedom and her life! <Me getting into the story in a very sad manner! That’s good though, it shows you’ve made a connection. But I really don’t think she’d be foolhardy enough to go with him, unless you give a reason why she trusts him. I suppose she is very young, but you sort of give her wisdom beyond her years so it doesn’t entirely fit.

It’s all pretty much okay apart from the accent from there.

Deb jumped as she heard a hollow thud when her foot hit the ground. She looked down and realized that they were on a long wooden dock. Floating in the water, tied up to said dock, was a large metal ship, probably stolen from the navy. The gangplank was down.

His grin widened. “Welcome t’ your new ‘ome. Th' Red Fancy.”

Why is this man taking her, and why is she going? I really need a reason.

Okay, all good, apart from what I’ve said. The girl is likeable, and your descriptions are mostly fantastic. What you need to be wary of is your pacing. At the start it was going really well, moving at a reasonable speed, but just at the end everything changed, you sped everything up. You need to make sure that the purposes of each character are made very clear. I think you set the scene very well at the start, but as the story speeds up you neglect it a little. You didn’t really tell us very much about the ship, nor the shop. At this point I feel I should tell you I laughed > ship shop. I need a brain. *carries on with review*

All that said, I can’t believe how much your writing has come on since I last read your work, it’s really phenomenal, you rival a lot of people twice your age already, you should be very proud. I think the way you portray your characters and events is just wonderful, it’s done with such ease. I know this is a first draft, and it is fantastic quality already, so by the time you’ve gotten into the story, and you’ve revised some things, I know that this will be incredible. I’m glad you posted it in the end, this review was fun. I can’t wait to read more! :D

~Roon
The worst tragedy for a poet is to be admired through being misunderstood.

~ Jean Cocteau

541 Reviews

Reviews: 541
Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:02 pm
Lauren2010 says...

Hey Crocks!

Look I'm here to review like you requested! (Sorry for the delay):

She sighed and hugged herself, shivering. It was going to rain hard tonight. There would probably be lightning too, by the look of it. Just what I needed… She thought with a sigh.

She sighed again and straightened her clothes as well as she could, starting down the street.

Deborah sighs an odd amount of times in a very short period. Several of those are really unneeded. I would personally only keep the second one and leave out the first and third.

My only problem here is that she hasn't realized at all where they were headed. I know writers tend to do this sometimes for the effect of suddenly being someplace they weren't before, but Deb is nine. A kid of that age would be highly aware of their surroundings, looking around, questioning things that are out of the ordinary. She already exhibited a habit of staring at interesting things (the clock, the people on the street) so it would make sense for her to pick up on where they were going.

Along those same lines, I want to know why specifically she went with the guy. And why the guy wants to take her with him anyways. What use could he have for a small street girl on his ship? What in the world made Deb decide to go with the mysterious stranger who could very well hurt her or kill her?

And then the accent. While it may be a good distinguishing characteristic, it's going to get a bit hard to understand. Especially since I'm assuming most people on the ship will talk the same? That's a lot of people using hard to understand accents. It could potentially be a turn-off for readers, but it's up to you. Maybe in the end it won't be so complicated, but just keep that in mind.

Anyways, other than that it was a good first chapter! I'd love to see more of this. Keep up the good work! Good luck!

-Lauren-
Got YWS?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
— Someone Incredibly Noncommittal