z

Young Writers Society

Mannequin

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:08 pm
blackbird12 says...

The wild, tousled hair.
The full lips, downturned at the corners.
The mumbling voice.
You, the boy with broken stars in his eyes.

So close yet so far,
So high yet so low,
So strong yet so weak.

Let the champagne drown you,
Let the starlight blind you,
Let the red carpet gag you.

It destroyed you,
It devoured you,
It deserted you.

Your face scarred by tearstains,
Your body bruised by kisses,
Your ribcage cracked by shame.

A bloody bandage where your eyes used to be.
Two burnt stumps where your hands used to be.
A gaping hole where your heart used to be.

Now, so damaged and hollow,
You’re nothing but a mannequin.
A sick memento of what you once were
And what you could have been.
Last edited by blackbird12 on Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I had wings, I would have opened them.
I would have risen from the ground.

-Mary Oliver

333 Reviews

Reviews: 333
Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:26 pm
retrodisco666 says...

Hey,

The repetition in this piece scares me,and not in the way I like. It is a strange scared, so well done, I guess.

I actually like what you're trying to do here with this poem and I think it works effectively.

My only point would be that it's quite long for what you're trying to achieve, I would maybe get rid of a stanza. That's just my opinion.

~Retro Disco666
'I have loved to the point of madness, which for me is the only true way to love'
~Francoise Sagan

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:26 pm
Glimmerglass says...

Hi!
What I liked especially about this poem was the coherency. I could really understand what the poem was addressing, and thus it was emotionally effective. This line in particular struck me as poignant:

blackbird12 wrote:You, the boy with broken stars in his eyes.

The language in your poem is really beautiful, and I think the imagery it gives me is exceptionally vivid.

blackbird12 wrote:Let the champagne drown you,

I'm also glad that you have a strong ending. The lines don't seem abrupt and they tie into the poem's meaning nicely.

blackbird12 wrote:Now, so damaged and hollow,
You’re nothing but a mannequin.
A sick memento of what you once were

The only suggestion I have is to maybe vary the line endings so that not every line sounds abrupt. Otherwise, great job!

--Glim
"If you live to be 100, I hope I live to be 100 minus 1 day, so I never have to live without you."
~Winnie the Pooh

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:04 pm
Firestarter says...

Hey blackbird,

The wild, tousled hair.
The full lips, downturned at the corners.
The mumbling voice.
You, the boy with broken stars in his eyes.

A pretty good start -- the last line of this stanza in particular is awash with interest imagery. The first three lines are somewhat plain, and could do with some sprucing, language-wise. It's an image we all know too well and I'd like to see a more poetical way of describing this boy, how he looks.

So close yet so far,
So high yet so low,
So strong yet so weak.

Hmm, this is weak. A triplet of cliches that add nothing to my understanding or comprehension of what you're going through. They're empty words. This kind of repetition is really lazy poetry, too. It's without life and drags your work down.

Let the champagne drown you,

It destroyed you,
It devoured you,
It deserted you.

Your face scarred by tearstains,
Your body bruised by kisses,
Your ribcage cracked by shame.

A bloody bandage where your eyes used to be.
Two burnt stumps where your hands used to be.
A gaping hole where your heart used to be.

It's the same with these. Red carpet gagging, aside, this is all pretty standard cliche writing from a poetry newcomer. You've gotta trash this kind of sentiment if you want to write interesting, evocative, different poetry. Writing down the same old destroyed, tearstains, bruised kisses, gaping heart hole, has been penned by every teenager since time began. It's boring and uninteresting.

How I feel about the poem.

Scrap everything but "the boy with broken stars in his eyes" and start again, and remember, every line you write, every word you use, has to be carefully considered and analysed. You can't roll out the same old adjectives, the same old phrases, the same old stock standard ideas if you want to write anything else but greetings card messages.

I'm sorry to be so brutal about it, but this is how poetry is and always will be. It's a hard world to crack. Good luck!
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:20 pm
FireandIce326 says...

Hello there :D This was a good poem. Someone had mentioned they didn't like the repetition, but as for me, that really made this poem nice. The last stanza was very nice, I think it was my favorite one! I don't have any bad criticism to say about this, so good work!
Fear me once, shame on you.
Fear me twice, *wakes up* haha you don't fear me =)

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:19 pm
greenwitch94 says...

very nice.
its scary and exciting.
hope you write more like it.

What a piece of work is a man! How noble in reason, how infinite in faculty, in form and moving how express and admirable, in action how like an angel, in apprehension how like a god -- the beauty of the world, the paragon of animals!
— William Shakespeare