z

Young Writers Society

The Price of a Vampire (Part 1 of 2)

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Mon May 31, 2010 8:33 am
Octave says...

Note: This is a vampire story for Suze's contest, so please rip it into itty bitty pieces. I need all the criticism I can get. ^^

Edit: Don't mind the underlined words. They're for Suze. Also, part 2 is here.

Start

Almost everyone in the small room glanced at the doors every other minute or so. By simply being here, all of them had broken the law. Watchers could storm in and disassemble the auction at any second, and that thought charged the air with electricity.

Gavin knew there would be no arrests tonight as he’d spotted the duchess disguised in the crowd. Still, the mere thought of being involved in something illegal sent waves of paranoia seeping through his veins, as it did into the rest of the cramped room.

The deafening silence worked its magic, amplifying every sound - from the footsteps of the winner to someone in a corner of the room tapping his foot. Breathing was almost impossible, as the tangy stench of sweat seemed to have devoured every bit of oxygen in the room. Uncomfortable was an understatement. After five straight hours of sitting, the wooden chair had bruised Gavin’s back, and he did not doubt the older gentlemen suffered even more than he did. The man beside him leaned forward as if he was about to stand, but the auctioneer opened his mouth again and all the bidders stiffened.

“We’re down to the last item, ladies and gen’men! Are ya ready to see a vampire?” Benedict grinned, boasting only a handful of teeth. The man was only into his late forties, yet he was already balding. A handful of whispered rumors claimed that Benedict had his hair and teeth purposely removed in order to make himself look harmless.

Gavin didn’t put it past the old man.

Benedict motioned for his own slaves to bring out a shackled boy. The guards held the child firmly by one shoulder each, but he didn’t seem to mind. His eyes hungrily swept through the audience, eliciting a few gasps from the women. Gavin’s grip on his chair tightened.

He stared at the boy not because he wanted to, but because he couldn’t help it. There was something incredibly magnetic about the vampire, and it wasn’t his beauty. That wasn’t to say he was ugly, though.

The boy’s skin was a darkened honey color, and pitch-black curls framed his face. It wasn’t hard to see he was no prisoner of the recent war with Allemaigne; perhaps he was taken from the gypsies? But would Benedict dare to capture a gypsy even after all of the duchess’ attempts to patch relations with the them?

The duchess, sitting a few chairs away from Gavin, visibly tensed.

Yes, Benedict did.

“Ain’t he a beaut?”

Yes, he was. Gavin couldn’t deny that.

“That’s a pretty young one,” remarked one of the other bidders. “Don’t you have older ones?”

“One ya can bring ‘round the streets at nigh’ to show off?” Benedict’s knowing laugh dragged the room’s temperature a few degrees down. “You’re gonna have to age ‘em yourself! They’re like wine – if ya want them old, they’ll be a few times more expensive.”

“Wait. How do we know he’s a vampire?” chirped a voice from the middle of the room. All heads turned to the direction of the voice. It was almost a cruel question, but someone had to ask it. Even Gavin had his doubts. The boy looked nothing like the duchess’ own fair-haired and pale-skinned vampire.

“Well, I’ll just have to prove it, won’t I?” Benedict chuckled and all attention shifted back to him. Arms shoved a legless little girl on stage, and several rough voices screamed out orders in a language foreign to Gavin. The little girl flinched, but she crawled towards the vampire. There was no masking the fear in her eyes, nor the vicious manner by which the vampire watched his prey draw closer.

Gavin’s nails dug into the soft wood of the chair. Benedict’s sense of humor had always been somewhat morbid, but would the old bastard actually sacrifice that little girl?

Actually, he would. Gavin steeled himself for what would come next.

"Stop it."

To Gavin's surprise, the duchess stood up. No one else appeared to recognize her for who she really was, but Gavin supposed that was thanks to the mask she wore. He himself wouldn't have recognized her if it wasn't for her peculiar habit of waving her arm through a doorway before passing through it.

“Don’t you dare, Benedict. Don’t even let her near that monster.”

Benedict seemed to recognize the duchess because he doubled over in laughter. “That’s priceless, m’dear, seeing as you own a vampire yo’self.”

The duchess’s proud posture wavered for a moment. “He’s trained. He won’t attack unless I give him -”

“He was jus’ like this one b’fore I sold ‘im to ya.”

“He was not. Benedict, if you feed her to him –“

“You’re doin’ nothing, ‘cause if we go down you’re coming to hell with us.”

The sheer audacity of what Benedict said silenced the room. Anyone who didn’t know that the masked woman was the duchess certainly understood that she was a person of some power now.

The duchess clenched her fists. “I’ll buy her then. Name your price.” Her voice was low and terse, as if she said it through gritted teeth.

Gavin couldn’t help but admire the woman. Tomorrow: he would pay her a visit tomorrow. It had been some time since they’d last spoken with each other, and seeing her fired up tonight only reminded Gavin of how much he respected her.

Benedict scratched his stubbly cheek. “A hundred gold coins an’ fifty silvers.”

The duchess showed no signs of backing down, but she audibly sucked in air through her teeth. Gavin himself nearly choked. That was an absurd amount for a legless slave. Hells, it was a murderous amount even for a beautiful, well-educated slave.

“Wha? You said I could name any price.” A few chuckles erupted from the crowd.

“You are a cold-hearted –“

Benedict stared her down. “D’you want her or not?”

“I’ll take her. But mark my words –“

Benedict waved her off and turned to his men. “You heard her. Bring along another one and let’s get this over with.”

In a way Gavin was glad Benedict sold the little girl to the duchess at such a high price. It took the duchess out of the game immediately, and therefore cut out one of Gavin’s biggest rivals in this auction. Gavin wanted, no, needed that vampire. It was going to make him a fortune.

Another child was brought onstage as the legless little girl was dragged off and shoved at the duchess, who had made her way to the front. The older men behind the vampire tensed as the new little girl rushed forward to give the boy a hug. Her lips trembled and tears spilled down her eyes, but she seemed to be whispering something to him. Her lips moved at an amazing rate, but the vampire registered nothing. He touched the pale skin of her neck, leaning in closer, closer, closer... One of the guards behind him yanked his head away from the girl and the vampire’s yelp shattered the silence.

Benedict glanced at the crowd. “Any objections?”
Last edited by Octave on Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The moral of this story, is that if I cause a stranger to choke to death for my amusement, what do you think I’ll do to you if you don’t tell me who ordered you to kill Colosimo?“

-Boardwalk Empire

Love, get out of my way.

Dulcinea: 2,500/50,000

83 Reviews

Reviews: 83
Mon May 31, 2010 9:22 am
Durriedog says...

Hey, this is great!! Very imaginative, I love this new twist on vampires. But, what's with all the underlined words and little one-liner thoughts? both are annoying, and as far as I know very unnessesary. You didn't seem to have any punctuation errors and you create an interesting and clear picture for the reader. The Duchess is a very interesting character, although I'd like to see some more of the auctioneer. He seemed all talk to me. It also seemed that you were spending most of the time out of the MC's head, which is where we should firmly be. But he does seem a very well-develpoed character, nothing special about him. The this vampire will make him a lot of money, created some intruige. Why did the second little girl run up to the vampire and hug him? That was really unusual.
Can't wait for 2/2!

~Durrs
{Insert witty and/or memorable movie quotes here} [Give credit so I don't die by lawyer]

{Follow up with mention of worth-while activity that betters the YWS community}

{Insert link to activity}

{Insert well-humoured internet bribery to entice viewers to join in the activity}

Random avatar

Reviews: 11
Mon May 31, 2010 5:04 pm
kook9600 says...

I agree that the underlined words were annoying, but other than that, it was a fantastic piece! I liked how the autioneer talked with an accent, kind of a drawl. This is an interesting view of vampires, not like Stephanie Meyers or any current vampire books(which is good!) I always love a frest twist on vamps.

Can't wait to read the second part!

Kook9600

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:22 am
Butterfinger says...

Wow! This is amazing! I'm new here and your story stuck out to me out of all the others and I can't stop thinking about it, wondering what's next and how it all will play out! I can't wait for part 2!

-bUtTeRfInGeR ~:^)-
If you want to be a great writer, don't think about what you're going to write, just write it.

I'm a huge fan of writers block! When your brain halts, with no direction for where you should go, it gives you threads. All you have to do is pull and unravel the story you're meant to write.

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:08 pm
PhoenixBishop says...

Phoenix lands for a review

Still, the mere thought of being involved in something illegal sent waves of paranoia seeping through his veins, as it did into the rest of the cramped room.

A bit awkward phrasing in the second part about the rest of the room feeling the paranoia.

“We’re down to the last item, ladies and gen’men! Are ya ready to see a vampire?” Benedict grinned, boasting only a handful of teeth. The man was only into his late forties, yet he was already balding. A handful of whispered rumors claimed that Benedict had his hair and teeth purposely removed in order to make himself look harmless.

Gavin didn’t put it past the old man.

There was something incredibly magnetic about the vampire, and it wasn’t his beauty. That wasn’t to say he was ugly, though.

The bolded section implies that the character already has categorized him as beautiful. To say that he wasn't ugly is back tracking.

. The little girl flinched, but she crawled towards the vampire. There was no masking the fear in her eyes, nor the vicious manner by which the vampire watched his prey draw closer.

If the character questions if it's a vampire then he should be labeled as boy until it is a sure thing.

Very interesting idea. At first I thought it was vampires auctioning humans but this twist is much more interesting. It's a short section so I can't be to picky about character development. As of now the characters seem rather flat.

But I liked the idea a lot. Keep it up.

Phoenix flies away
This is one little planet in one tiny solar system in a galaxy that’s barely out of its diapers. I’m old, Dean. Very old. So I invite you to contemplate how insignificant I find you.

Death~

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:36 am
night owl says...

By simply being here, all of them had broken the law

This is a little awkward to me. Maybe say, "by simply being here, a law had been broken." I know it changes the subject, but it has a bit more fluidity.

waves of paranoia seeping through his veins, as it did into the rest of the cramped room

I'm not sure that this imagery works. I can't picture waves seeping, and you might want to find a way to reword the second part, so it's less awkward.

Breathing was almost impossible, as the tangy stench of sweat seemed to have devoured every bit of oxygen in the room

I'm not sure that the comma is necessary here, but I could be wrong.

The man beside him leaned forward as if he was about to stand

I think it might be "if he were about to stand."

It wasn’t hard to see he was no prisoner of the recent war with Allemaigne

I think this sentence might benefit from adding a "that" in between "see" and "he".

Actually, he would

I don't think that the "actually" is necessary. It might be more powerful if you just said, "he would."

This is great. I know that the contest is over, but I figured you'd still accept remarks. Sorry if there are any repeats from previous comments. I'll admit that I didn't take the time to read them. I like the way you use short paragraphs to create suspense and emphasize your point. You also use imagery very well. Keep up the good work and I'll definitely read part two.

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:48 pm
Phaix says...

Hey, this is really great stuff :) I read all the other comments, they seem to have covered quite a lot. However i did pick up on one mistake:

"Tomorrow: he would pay her a visit tomorrow."

The repetition of "tomorrow" is either a mistake on your part, or simply a sentence that doesn't quite sit well on the page. Apart from that I really enjoyed this first part. You set the scene well, and I really envisioned the characters, the auctioneer especially. I am also really intrigued to your representation of vampires, it's great to see originality!

Very well done, I look forward to more.

Phaix
I will live forever, even if I die trying.

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:57 pm
Stori says...

Hi Kara. I just spotted one error in the story.

patch relations with the them?

Just go ahead and remove "the".

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:43 pm
greenwitch94 says...

WOW!!!
i loved it!! the vampire and the duchess. it was amazing.
this story should be made into a best selling series!!

The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn.
— Alvin Toffler