z

Young Writers Society

Daring Frankie Ch. 2. Plz review!

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:06 am
Amnien says...

Thanks for taking the time to read and review this! This is one of my longer chapters. If you guys would be so kind to point out any grammatical or plot hole errors, I'll gladly appreciate it!

In exactly seventeen minutes and around thirty seconds, class ends. I'm staring at my watch, taking a break from my doodles, waiting for class to end. I think it's a crime that us orphans still have to go to school. We have enough torture in our life just being Orphans. One of my earliest memories was asking Mrs. Rasalfap why we have to attend class everyday, I could picture the old scene perfectly. Mrs. Rasalfap tucking me
into bed then after I ask the question, she giggles.

"Frankie, all every parent wants is a smart and adorable child," She said. But she followed it up with something that made me smile just remembering.
"Frankie, you are already adorable, you just need keep working hard at school to become smarter, you'll be in a new loving home in no time. Lies. Here i am, still in school, and still without a family. So much for "Smart Frankie" soon to be a victim to a loving family. Whatever, school sucks.

I go back to doodling, his time I'm drawing gorgeous girls dancing. There are three girls on my paper, each one in a different dance position. I've been trying to make the middle one resemble Megan Fox, so far she looks like a duck wearing overalls. Frankie the adorable and smart orphan. Psht, right, I can't even draw.

"Frankie!" Snapping me to back to reality is my history teacher, Eddy, who isn't happy at all having me doodling when he is trying to tell us why we should be so happy to be Americans.

"Yes, sir?" I ask.

"Will you please answer the question that I just asked you?" Damn it, he got me.

"Um, what's the question again?" I ask, trying to laugh it off but I can tell by his red face that he doesn't like the laughter that's in my voice.

"Frankie, what rights were we, Americans, born to? In further detail what three rights, did John Locke believe we were born to?"

"Life, liberty, and property." I laugh secretly on the inside. Because Eddy looks like he just got hit in face. I guess he didn't expected me to answer any question he threw at me, which I don't blame him. If all term I saw a kid sitting in the back doodling and staring off all class long, I wouldn't expect them to even know what Benjamin Franklin did for our country. The thing is I listen. Even when I'm not listening. It's weird. Apparently with nothing else to say he tells me to put my pen
and paper under the desk, and to pay attention. Lame. Like I said, school sucks.

I'm outside sitting by one of the many basketball hoops on the Orphanage's court. I used to like basketball, that was before my best friend, Kris, broke my nose during a horrible stuffing accident. Now I'm more of a chess and checkers guy. I'll only play basketball if someone dares me too. I've kind of turned into a daredevil. It started two years ago when my other friend, Allison, dared me to superglue Teacher Eddy's boxers to his self while he was sleeping. Boy was he upset the next day, red face and irritated because he couldn't sit down all day. I managed to not laugh during class, but after I managed to make myself throw up from laughing so hard.

A cold wind rows by and I curl up closer to the pole. Where the hell is Kris? He told me meet him here after class, I should have known that he would be late. He is the perfect image of a trouble making teenager. Hopefully Allison's with him., she would keep him in line and remind him that I'm waiting. Allison is very bossy and she is a total know it all, but that's my trio, well, maybe it would be a trio if they were actually here!

At that moment a door to the orphanage opens and out walks my deuce recipe to my trio. Allison is the first out the door, it's amazing how her long, curly, and gorgeous purple hair can manage to glow with the lack of sunlight. There is no doubt about it, Allison is hot and I'm hoping that one of these days when I get the courage me and her can go on a date or something.

Behind her is Kris, my best friend is way taller then Allison and I, he always has perfectly spiked hair, brown with red tips, everyone says how good looking he is. Which I don't disagree with, I think that him hanging out with me must boost his sex appeal somewhat. Well, how could it not? Everyone should think he is good looking standing next to a fat kid with glasses and pimples, also, to top it off, I have very bright flaming red hair. I look like a mixture of Ron Weasly and Penguin from batman, it hurts to look in the mirror.

"Yo, Frank da tank, ya know how ya owe me cash, bro?" Kris says jogging past Allison so he could reach me first.

"Of course he remembers, you will not let him forget, day after day you keep antagonizing him about his debt to you," Allison points out, jogging to keep up with Kris. I make a comment about how right Allison is by the time they reach me, Kris smiles, Allison beams too.

"Well, check this shit out," he hands me a printed newspaper article. I take the paper and look at the date" October twenty-seventh, nineteen ninety-two.

"This article is like fifteen years old," I comment. Wondering why in the hell Kris is looking so happy showing me a antique.

"It is actually seventeen years old." Allison comments. She's in a bad mood, I can tell by how matter of factious she is being. I guess the article isn't that old, it's around the same age as me.

"Shut up Al, let him read." Kris puts his hand over Allison's mouth which she responds with a swift elbow to his ribs. The two start bickering while I read. The article is about a man named Larry Silvermoon, apparently he was arrested for murdering his wife and six year old child. This guy is a monster, neighbors heard screaming so they called the police, who arrived to find Mr. Silvermoon trying to put his two month
year old baby, in the oven.

The cops took him in custody but Larry insists that he was rescuing his baby from the oven, and he also claims not to be the one responsible for the murders of his wife and daughter. I continue to read, even though Kris and Allison are staring at me, eyes fixed on my facial expressions. The last line says that the last thing Larry said before he died, I guess he died twenty-four hours later inside his jail cell, was that demons killed his family and would be coming for him soon. The baby was adopted by close relatives. (I wish I was adopted.)

I look up to see Kris grinning like a boy on Christmas.

"Well at least he died, right?" I say handing the printed page back to Kris. Kris takes the paper from my hands, folds it up and slides it into his pocket, looks back up to me. Still smiling.

"So, what?" I say to the pair, "What's so special 'bout the article?"

"Well we did some research on it," Allison pipes up.

"The house has almost been rented out seven times since." Kris explains, eager to be the one to tell me the juicy part. "Each time the night before the family's moved in, they were all slaughtered in their current homes. This freaking house is haunted bro," Kris explains to me like I'm a small child.

"Well that's freaky," I point out, "But I know that's not what you guys are so excited about. So, again, what's up?" Allison smiles happy to know that at least one of the boys she hangs out with her has some sort of brains.

"Well," Allison starts, " Kris forgot to mention that when the guards at the jail, checked Larry's cell camera, the camera shut off right before Larry was murdered, so they have no leads."

"So,” Kris begins, I can tell he is about to let me in on why he is so smiley, "Instead of you owing me the eighty dollars you owe me, you gotta spend the night in this house! Also, you got to admit that this is scary stuff, I wish we could show Greg."

"Dude, your crazy, their is no way I'm doing this!" They must think I'm stupid, I don't believe in ghosts or demons at all, but there is really something weird about that house and I bet Greg would find this interesting, he is a psychic that has a shop near the orphanage, we visit him all the time. I also remember him telling us a couple of stories about Demons, if I recall, they weren't very fun!

"I told you Kris, he is not going to do it."

"Hell no I'm not." I grab my bag which is lying beside the basketball pole, and begin to walk back towards the orphanage, I need to get started on my chores. Before I take five steps I can hear Kris taunting me from behind. Perfect timing too, there are
about seventy orphans pouring out of the orphanage and heading over to the basketball court.

"C'mon you chickenshit!"

"No dude, besides the house is probably thirty miles away." I notice that about twenty kids are just standing there, eyes consuming Kris, Allison and I.

"Actually it is about four blocks behind the corner mart," Allison boasts. She really is getting on my nerves right now.

"Aight, Mr. Daredevil. I triple, Chinese, fireball which explodes into a thousand wrapped chocolate bars, dare you to spend the night in the house." At that moment it sounds like the ending of a rap battle. Everyone's ooing and jumping up and
down, these kids are easily entertained I guess. Easily entertained or not though, everyone is watching us now, waiting for the Daredevil king to respond.

"If I do this, I don't owe you anything?"

"Not even a penny, man."

"Your a jerk, but I'll do it" Cheers, claps, and a smiling Kris.

"OK, I'll go pack your bag," Allison gleefully says, before I can say anything to her she is sprinting towards the orphanage.

"Wait, bag?"

"Yeah bud," Kris approaches me and rests his arm around my shoulder. "There are rules," we walk towards the orphanage. Kris happy as a clown. Me? Scared like a cowardly lion.

The wind that rushes by as Kris and I make our way to the house, chills me to the bone. Or is that my fear? Maybe both? We are racing down the streets. I'm sprinting but I'm pretty sure Kris is just doing a light jog, I have never been a fast kid.

"So, Mr. Daredevil, what are the rules, I gotta make sure you understand them y'know?" We slow down to a walk and I glare at Kris. He is such a jerk for making me go through with this, but really should I blame him? I would probably do the same thing if I was in his place. I guess that's what friends are for, making each others life miserable. Trying to keep my voice calm, I respond.

"I can only use the supplies you've given to me," on cue he rattles the book-bag dangling over his shoulder. "I have to stay inside there until the sun comes up. Um, I think that's all."

"Me too, we're almost there, let's go." We start running again. We take turns running and jogging for close to fifteen minutes before we arrive at a house, I follow Kris and we arrive at the back of the house. He lays in the grass and so I do too. We lie there for a minute, catching our breaths before Kris speaks.

"The house your staying in is across the street,” Kris points out to the house which looks haunted just from the outside. Some kind of plant thing is growing everywhere, infecting the windows and even the door with it's green tentacles. I can feel myself getting sick with fear, instead of being smart and swallowing my pride and telling Kris that he wins and I'll pay him the money that I owe him, I stare at the house and swallow my fear.

"K, I haven't seen any cars since we've been here, so coast is clear," Kris jumps up and sprints for the house's driveway. I follow closely behind him hoping not to rouse any sleeping neighbors or trigger those pesky motion sensed porch lights. We sprint up the driveway and take the turn to the right that leads to the backyard. We crouch down and make our way over to the down stairs window, Kris sets down the bag and unzips it.

"Keep your eyes peeled man," Kris tells me as he pulls a crowbar from the bag. I peek over my shoulder, nothing. Just darkness and the sound of trees blowing in the wind. The sound of the window being pulled apart startles me and I twist my head back in Kris's direction, he laughs quietly and says that the demons are probably expecting me.

"Why would you say that?" My hairs on my arm stand as I try to push my fear back down.

"That thing came apart so easily it's like it wasn't even sealed shut." I hope that there is some kind of explanation to why it was so easily tampered with. I stare into the open window, it's so dark, why in the hell am I going through with this.

"Ha ha, chill Frankie," Kris says throwing a light punch at my arm, I guess he could tell that I'm horrified about my upcoming adventure. "Alright so I'm gonna be across the street," Kris says pointing towards the house across the street, "Behind
that house is a water ditch. I'm going to be chillin' there."

"K," I walk towards the window and began to stick my right food in before Kris speaks again.

"I'll meet ya back right here at seven, oh and Frankie, please be careful, for real." Kris stares at me from the dark but even with it being pitch black I can tell he is scared too. I guess fear is contagious.

"Hey, I wonder how bad you'll feel If something goes wrong and I die in here?" I smile at Kris and he returns the gesture.

"Ya right, now get in there smart ass." He leans over to push me in but before his hand touches my back I push myself through the window and into the dark and frightening house. The impact from the ground brings pain racing from my feet and up through my spine, I glance around but it's pointless, I can't see a thing.

I hear the bag fall behind me, followed by the crowbar, then the sound of the window being shut from above, reaching blindly for the bag I find the strap and throw the it over my shoulder and stare ahead into the darkness. I'm alone, and afraid.
Last edited by Amnien on Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Simply Crazed.

Once you see death up close, then you know what the value of life is. - SAW VI

27 Reviews

Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:06 am
Amnien says...

:( The spacing got all messed up!

Edit* Fixed the spacing!
Simply Crazed.

553 Reviews

Reviews: 553
Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:30 am
MiaParamore says...

In exactly seventeen minutes and around thirty seconds, class ends. I'm staring at my watch, taking a break from my doodles, waiting for the class to end.

I think it's a crime that us, orphans, still have to go to school.

"Frankie, you are already adorable, you just need keep working hard at school to become smarter, you'll be in a new loving home in no time." Lies. Here I am, still in school, and still without a family.

I go back to doodling, this time I'm drawing gorgeous girls dancing.

Frankie, the adorable and smart orphan.

Because Eddy looks like he just got hit on face.

I guess he didn't expected me to answer any question he threw at me, which I don't blame him.

Spoiler! :
Never use third form of the verb with 'did'. IT IS A CRIME!! :D

Apparently with nothing else to say he tells me to put my pen and paper under the desk, and to pay attention.

'To' is being repeated so many times.

I'm outside, sitting by one of the many basketball hoops on the Orphanage's court.

I'll only play basketball if someone dares me too

This is way so long. I will try read it some other time!

You have too many amateur mistakes which are acceptable from a twelve-year old but not you. You try to read it aloud and fix them. Hope I helped!
"Next time you point a finger
I might have to bend it back
Or break it, break it off
Next time you point a finger
I'll point you to the mirror"

— Paramore

384 Reviews

Reviews: 384
Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:48 pm
eldEr says...

Amnien wrote:
One of my earliest memories was asking Mrs. Rasalfap why we have to attend class everyday, I could picture the old scene perfectly.

The comma should be a period.

Amnien wrote: "Frankie, all every parent wants is a smart and adorable child," She said. But she followed it up with something that made me smile just remembering.

"Frankie, you are already adorable, you just need keep working hard at school to become smarter, you'll be in a new loving home in no time. Lies. Here i am,

After the period after 'time' you need to add quotation marks, and the 'i' has to be capitalized. Also, it should all be one paragraph rather than to seperate ones.

I go back to doodling, his time I'm drawing gorgeous girls dancing.
I think you meant 'this' ;)

Amnien wrote: "Life, liberty, and property." I laugh secretly on the inside. Because Eddy looks like he just got hit in face. I guess he didn't expected me to answer any question he threw at me, which I don't blame him.

there shouldn't be a break in sentences between 'insdide' and 'Because.' You can't start a sentence with because, so the period should be a comma. 'didn't expected' doesn't make sense. Did you mean either, 'didn't expect' or 'hadn't expected'? Plus 'which' does't make sense in the sentence. It should be 'and.'

Amnien wrote: "Of course he remembers, you will not let him forget, day after day you keep antagonizing him about his debt to you,"

Most kids don't say 'will not.' (unless Alison is a grammar nut even when she's talking with friends.) They usually say 'won't.' or even 'willin't' if you're my best friend... her and her words...

Amnien wrote: "Well, check this shit out," he hands me a printed newspaper article. I take the paper and look at the date" October twenty-seventh, nineteen ninety-two.

There shouldn't be and quotation marks. It should be either a period or a comma.

Amnien wrote: "This article is like fifteen years old," I comment. Wondering why in the hell Kris is looking so happy showing me a antique.

The first period should be a comma, and the 'a' should be an 'an.'

Amnien wrote: "It is actually seventeen years old."

Once again, unless she's a totally grammar nut, she would probably say, "It's." (If she is a grammar nut, maybe add it to the beginning of the chapter somewhere)

Amnien wrote: "Well that's freaky," I point out, "But I know that's not what you guys are so excited about. So, again, what's up?" Allison smiles happy to know that at least one of the boys she hangs out with her has some sort of brains.

You need to add a comma between 'smiles' and 'happy.' Then the next bolded part doesn't make sense. Take out the 'her' and then switch the 'has' to 'haves.'

Amnien wrote: "Dude, your crazy, their is no way I'm doing this!"

'Your' should be 'You're' because if you broke it appart, he would be saying, 'You are.' Also, after 'crazy,' rather than a comma, make it an explanation mark, it should be two seperate sentences. 'Their' should be 'There.' 'Their' refers to something one possesses such as 'Their dress.'

Amnien wrote: "Me too, we're almost there, let's go." We start running again. We take turns running and jogging for close to fifteen minutes before we arrive at a house, I follow Kris and we arrive at the back of the house.

Where I bolded, it should be two seperate sentences.

Amnien wrote: I stare into the open window, it's so dark, why in the hell am I going through with this.

Once again, seperate sentences between 'open' and 'window.' Also, the period after 'this' should be a comma.

Amnien wrote: "I'll meet ya back right here at seven, oh and Frankie, please be careful, for real."

Again, seperate sentences between 'seven' and 'oh.'

I still really like the story, however. It's got a really great plot! Just one more thing, there's the odd spot where you started a new paragraph right in the middle of a sentence. Watch out for that.
Great story!
Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurl.

got trans?

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:26 am
Demeter says...

Hi, Amnien! Thanks for posting on my thread, and sorry for not getting back to you sooner.

I think it's a crime that us orphans still have to go to school. We have enough torture in our life just being Orphans. One of my earliest memories was asking Mrs. Rasalfap why we have to attend class everyday, I could picture the old scene perfectly. Mrs. Rasalfap tucking me  
into bed then after I ask the question, she giggles. 

I cut out that one sentence for you, as I feel it's redundant. That is, the idea becomes clear in the first sentence, so you don't need to re-state it. Fix the line break, too, though I think it's just an accident.

"Frankie, you are already adorable, you just need keep working hard at school to become smarter, you'll be in a new loving home in no time. Lies. Here i am, still in school, and still without a family. So much for "Smart Frankie" soon to be a victim to a loving family. Whatever, school sucks. 

It's not clear where the quote ends. Always remember to check the punctuation, especially in dialogue.

"Um, what's the question again?" I ask, trying to laugh it off but I can tell by his red face that he doesn't like the laughter that's in my voice. 

Again, the strikethrough part is not needed.

"Frankie, what rights were we, Americans, born to? In further detail what three rights, did John Locke believe we were born to?" 

Interesting word order… but I think you're forgiven as it's a piece of dialogue. =D

Allison is the first out the door, it's amazing how her long, curly, and gorgeous purple hair can manage to glow with the lack of sunlight.

One of the most common problems I've come across with is describing hair with too many adjectives. It's quite annoying, and you don't really need it, either, since the reader tends to make their own interpretations anyway. Right now, you have four hair adjectives. That's at least two too many.

"Yo, Frank da tank, ya know how ya owe me cash, bro?" Kris says jogging past Allison so he could reach me first. 

It's always good to describe a character by their way of speaking like this, but I think this is somewhat artificial and overwhelming. Reduce it a little.

The article is about a man named Larry Silvermoon, apparently he was arrested for murdering his wife and six year old child.

If it's written as early as 1992, I'm surprised there's a full name mentioned. Nowadays, especially in dramatic news like this, they never mention any names. It's just "a middle-aged man to murder his family" or something like that.

"Dude, your crazy, their is no way I'm doing this!"

You're and there. Both your and their express a possession, and neither of them was what you meant in this case. I noticed several places in which you had the same mistake. It might difficult to learn the differences (your/you're and their/there/they're) and get used to them, but learn them.

I triple, Chinese, fireball which explodes into a thousand wrapped chocolate bars, dare you to spend the night in the house.

What?

"Why would you say that?" My hairs on my arm stand as I try to push my fear back down. 

Replace the first "my" with "the".

So, the main technical things you should pay attention to, is the your/you're thing, and also the spacing. I don't know how you manage to start a new paragraph in the middle of the sentence so often, but look out for that.

This is the only chapter I've read, but I didn't really feel that I knew the characters very well yet. This is only the beginning of the story, of course. Since you know your characters, who are naturally all very different people, make the reader notice the differences too. You already started with Kris's way of speech, which is good. Just add in more details like that, but don't do it too much so it won't sound forced.

Good luck with your writing! I hope I could help. :)

Demeter
x
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:14 pm
makar7 says...

Woah! Of course you put another storyline right after a cliffhanger. But that's good. It leaves the reader on edge and makes them thirst to read on to find out what happened . Good Job on that!

"In exactly seventeen minutes and around thirty seconds, class ends."

I think it should be class will end... because then the line after it makes sense.

Rasalfap = Awesome teacher's name! =D

"One of my earliest memories was asking Mrs. Rasalfap why we have to attend class everyday, I could picture the old scene perfectly."
The comma here should be a semicolon, otherwise its a fragment. I also think the "could" should be a "can".

"
Mrs. Rasalfap tucking me into bed then after I ask the question, she giggles."

-This sentence is a tad bit confusing. Try to rephrase it. Something like, "As Mrs. Rasalfap tucked me into bed, I asked her the question and she giggled." Even though the story is written in present-tense, whenever you have a flash back, it should be written in past-tense.

"...home in no time. Lies."

You forgot the end quotation after time.
"...on the inside. Because Eddy..."

I don't think you need to separate these two sentences.

"I used to like basketball, that was before my best friend, Kris, broke my nose during a horrible stuffing accident."
You need a "but" between the first comma and that. You always should use a conjunction when you're contradicting a statement.

"'Dude, your crazy, their is no way I'm doing this!'"

Their should be There
"The house your staying in is across the street,”

Your should be You're. Even though this character talks in a dialect, you shouldn't write his dialogue as if this character is writing. You should write his dialogue with words that sound like the character has bad grammar, not words that are common teenager spelling mistakes. You should use words like gonna and ain't for this type of dialogue.

"I bet Greg would find this interesting, he is a psychic that has a shop near the orphanage, we visit him all the time."

Here, I think you should combine the last two phrases and separate them from the sentence with a hyphen.

Yay, you made a Wizard of Oz Reference. Also, I like the allusions you use throughout this chapter. They made visuals more... relateable.

"why in the hell am I going through with this."

I think you've combined "Why in hell" with "Why the hell". Pick one of them.

I'm really excited to find out what happens next. I'm also wondering what demons attacked the characters in the first chapter. On a note for the first chapter, I think you should make it a prologue since the scene is one that is not a a part of Frankie's Story. Good work! Keep it up!

27 Reviews

Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:00 am
Amnien says...

Thank you. Also just to clear some things up, I posted this chapter WAY to early. I didn't even edit or proofread it thus, all the mistakes. Thanks everyone for the great reviews and I plan to fix my mistakes and tighten the story up. :)
Simply Crazed.

We think in generalities, but we live in details.
— Alfred North Whitehead