z

Young Writers Society

Luna 2.1

78 Reviews

Reviews: 78
Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:05 am
pinkangel54123 says...

2. Leaving

I slapped my sweaty palm onto my chest. I could feel my heart flitting around like an angry bee. “It was just a dream,” I mumbled, resting my head on my knees in the cruel, new daylight. Sometimes my lucid dreams were a curse. They could take me to places whose greatness rivaled heaven’s, but when the nightmares hit, sometimes I wished for hell. But only that one nightmare rocked my subconscious.
Ever since Dad told me the story of how he found me and Aiden, I couldn’t go a week without having that awful dream at least four times. Letting go-of my mother, of my obscure past-didn’t seem like a feasible idea. Especially when my birthday-the day Dad found us-was fast approaching.
It had been an exceptionally chilly August twentieth, he had told me. Even though I had never seen my mother, I felt a great amount of longing when I visualized what she looked like. In Dad’s version of the story, she was the most beautiful person he’d ever seen. I believed him; she could’ve been a red-eyed demon, and it wouldn’t have mattered. My mind would always paint her as the tortured beauty, but her absence made me feel unloved, an outcast in a sea of motherly affection.
I was conflicted. A wonderful father, a sweet but estranged brother, and a stunning place to call my home. My life was great, but I couldn’t shake the feeling that it was incomplete. I wasn’t satisfied with contentment; I wanted more than simplicity.
As I lay back down, the seemingly harsh red light from my alarm clock beamed the ungodly hour of 5:45 a.m. I closed my eyes, feeling myself slowly fall back into oblivion. Maybe this time my sleep would be dreamless.
“Asha! Are you alright?” Something ran into my door leaving an oblong dent. “Damn door,” my dad, Josiah, grumbled. He wrenched the door open, his wild, steel grey eyes searching for the threat. He’d obviously been asleep when I shouted. I could see long red lines streaking his face from the wrinkles on his pillow. His usually slicked back, short, brown hair stuck up all over his head, and his t-shirt was on backwards, hastily thrown on in an attempt to cover up.
My door was just one of the many casualties when it came to Dad’s abnormal strength. Why can’t he be normal like my friends’ dads? I asked myself. It felt like my mantra since it had been scrolling through my head for as long as I could remember. I had learned long ago to leave well enough alone when it came to Dad though. Me and Aiden weren’t idiots. We noticed that his hair never grew, and that where he should’ve developed crow’s feet many years ago, there was only smooth, milky white skin. Once, I’d told him that we were going to play salon. While I braided his hair, I inspected every strand for any signs of grey. He told us that he was nearly forty; he didn’t look a day over twenty-three.
A few years ago, I’d had the audacity to question him. To put it simply he’d told me off. ‘Who was I to question anyone? He was the adult, and he didn’t need to explain himself to a teenager. How dare I call him a liar in his own house?’ He’d stomped around the house shouting for hours. I’d definitely learned my lesson. Never again would I verbalize my thoughts when it came to his many oddities. But I knew. I knew that if he wasn’t hiding something he wouldn’t have snapped.
“Late much?” I mumbled into my pillow.
“Are you okay?” Couldn’t he see that I was trying to sleep?
“Dad, everything’s fine. It was just that nightmare.”
“I never should’ve told you that story.” Regret was scribbled across his face.
“There’s nothing you can do about it now. I’m leaving in a few days, so you won’t have to listen to me scream anymore.”
“You aren’t going anywhere,” he said, his voice strong with his decision. I wiped my eyes with the back of my hand and rubbed my ears. Was I hearing him right? The bed gave under his weight as he sat down, his face somber.
“Yeah, I am, Dad.”
“Asha, whatever I say goes, and you know that.” I knew it only too well. What I wanted didn’t matter. Dad dictated everything about my life, and even though I was going to high school, my input still didn’t matter. It probably never would.
“Why did you change your mind all of a sudden?” He probably wouldn’t be swayed, but I still felt like I deserved an explanation.
“You haven’t done anything wrong. As a matter of fact you’ve been nearly perfect. I just…I just don’t want you to leave.” He looked at me with his normal hard eyes, but I could see some emotion flitting just beneath the surface.
“Oh,” I said, my response sounding pathetic to my own ears. But to a degree, it made a bit of sense. Even though he was firm in his choice, I felt like he should hear what I had to say. I crawled to him and leaned my head against his cool shoulder. “I’ve gotta get away from here. Away from you. I love you, but I have to see the world. Explore the islands, and without you always peeking over my shoulder.” I poked his stomach, trying to lighten the mood. I frowned as my finger bent back. It was like poking a steel wall. “Besides, we’ve been planning this trip for nearly eternity. You can’t back out on me now.”
I could feel his back shaking beneath my cheek; he was trying to keep his emotions in check. Dads weren’t supposed to show this much emotion. At least mine wasn’t. He was supposed to be the tough guy who always knew how to make things right.
“I was wrong,” he mumbled. “I don’t think I should’ve have sent your brother away.” He ran his fingers through his hair in an attempt to smooth it down. It just made it worse. “I thought it would be easier. You guys weren’t my real kids. She said it would be easy.” His voice was rough with tears. His breathing hitched, one solitary tear falling onto his prominent cheekbones. Was he crying? I didn’t think that it was possible. Who knew there was a marshmallow under all of that concrete? Certainly not me.
It sounded like he was talking more to himself than to me. I decided that it probably wasn’t the best time for my input. Briefly, I wondered who the ‘she’ was. It wasn’t like he’d had a girlfriend that stuck around after she found out about his two teenagers.
“We both know that I have to go.” Since his emotions were running high, I decided to take the low road and play them to my advantage. “I’ll be miserable if I stay. You’re barely even home.” He was always working at the hospital. I was surprised that he was actually here and asleep when I’d screamed. “You practically live at Luna General. What would I do here by myself?”
“The same thing you do now: Go to school,” he said, his voice a monotone. The corners of my lips turned down. Was he joking? I wanted to get away, and he wasn’t hearing me.
“Be serious, please.”
“Asha, there is nothing more important to me than your well-being. I’m just not sure if sending you away would be for the best.” Back was the stony-faced man I was used to. I loved him even if he shielded his emotions with a mask of stone. His straight thinking was something I often envied. He always made his decisions quickly and with no space for wiggle room. I’d never seen him have even a glimmer of indecision. Until now.
Last edited by pinkangel54123 on Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:06 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Want a heavenly review?

GENERATION 30: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Random avatar

Reviews: 7
Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:44 pm
Sophia_x says...

Hey i'm Sophia and I'm going to review your work :)

My sweat palm floated to my chest
My sweaty palm

whole greatness rivaled heaven’s
I don't really understand this :S

I his version of the story
I liked his version of the story

her as the good guy, but her absence made me fell unloved; an outcast in a sea of motherly affection.
It might be just me but 'good guy' makes me think of a man. I think you meant, 'her absence made me feel unloved' and i hae to say, i love the outcast bit! Wowza :)

My like was great
My life was great

that it was incomplete as it was
I think ditch the 'as it was' bit

my dad, whose name is Josiah, grumbled
my dad, Josiah, grumbled. I think it sounds better :P

He wrenched the door open, his wild eyes searching for the threat. He had obviously been asleep when I shouted. I could see long red lines streaking his face from the wrinkles on his pillow. His short brown hair stuck up all over his head, and his t-shirt was on backwards; hastily thrown on in an attempt to cover up.
I just love this description. It makes her and her father seem very real :)

My door was just one of the many casualties when it came to Dad’s abnormal strength. Why couldn’t he be normal like my friend’s dads? I had learned long ago to leave well enough alone when it came to Dad. Me and Aiden weren’t idiots. We noticed that his hair never grew, and that where he should’ve developed crow’s feet many years ago there was only smooth, milky white skin.
oooo i want to know more...

He told un that he was 40; he didn’t look a day over 23.
Firstly, it's 'he told us' and also, it is better to write numbers as words :)

Regret was scribbled across his face.
Me like!

Okay, so there are my points.

Basically, i am really interested to know what is going on and although it is a brief chapter information wise, i think it is good as it makes us ask questions that causes us to read on! I hope you do post another chapter becuase i really enjoyed it and i hope my review helped :)

x
When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life you have a thousand reasons to smile.
For instance, you still have chocolate :P
x

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:48 pm
Kaywiia says...

Good, very good actually. Your first sentence doesn't make sense though. Otherwise I love the feel of it. Post the rest of the chapter, I will be sure to read it!
Love is beautiful, but what would love be without life?

78 Reviews

Reviews: 78
Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:23 pm
pinkangel54123 says...

Thank you both!
Sophia: I had no clue there were that many obvious mistakes. Thanks for pointing them out to me.
Kaywiia: I'll be sure to post the next part for you once I do a few more reviews.
Want a heavenly review?

GENERATION 30: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

113 Reviews

Reviews: 113
Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:19 am
Mo. says...

Hey Danie! I'm here to review! (Sorry, it's only short).

Wow, I really, really like this. You've really made me want to read more.

One little thing I found; It seems like her telling her dad that she is leaving is news to him, and at first it seems like she's just decided, but then she acts as if she's been planning her leave for ages? It's a little bit confusing there - maybe it's just me though.

I really like this! Let me know when you post more, okay?

Keep writing!

~Mo.
Mo. was here. :) mwahahaha

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:22 pm
Sins says...

Hey :)

Once again... I don't really have anything to review here!

This chapter was even better than the first one. You made me ask lots of questions, wanting to know more about the characters and what was happening. This is really good because it makes me want to read on!

Like in your first chapter, your use of effective description is very good. Your descriptions put very vivid images into my head.

My mind would always paint her as the tortured beauty, but her absence made me feel unloved, an outcast in a sea of motherly affection.

I adored this description!

Overall, this was simply great!
That's all that I really have to say!

Keep writing,

xoxo Skins
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

553 Reviews

Reviews: 553
Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:29 am
MiaParamore says...

Hi Pinkangel. Sorry it took me so long for the review of this chapter.I would colour whatever I like in green like I did for the other chapter.

Me I and Aiden weren’t idiots.

I knew that if he wasn’t hiding something, he wouldn’t have snapped.

My door was just one of the many casualties when it came to Dad’s abnormal strength :lol:

“I never should’ve told you that story.” Regret was scribbled across his face.

“There’s nothing you can do about it now. I’m leaving in a few days, so you won’t have to listen to me scream anymore.”
Either you should put, 'my scream' or 'me screaming'. Its not at all sounding good the way you have written it.

He always made his decisions quickly and with no space for wiggle room.

He hiccupped, one solitary tear falling onto his prominent cheekbones.

This story is looking great up till now. Like Skins, I also have nothing much to say. There's only one thing I am having problem with your writing. You're, it seems, confused with the concept of where to put me and I, which is very common in people. But I think as you have such a good grammar and writing skills you should improvise on this too so that your work can be called perfect. Loved this anyways. If you want any of my help, let me know.
"Next time you point a finger
I might have to bend it back
Or break it, break it off
Next time you point a finger
I'll point you to the mirror"

— Paramore

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Sat May 22, 2010 2:15 pm
Tenyo says...

Review Part 2 :)

Again, this is another reason to have an introduction chapter, just something to show what life is usually like. Especially for Josiah's sake. Think of it like first impressions; the first impression is always the strongest. Our first impression of Josiah is, well, he's crying, which makes him seem more like an overly emotional father, instead of this strong, stony-faced man you claim he is. He needs a previous introduction where he brakes stuff or scolds Asha or something to make him a little more intimidating.

If it's already daylight, would the red of the clock seem so harsh? Especially if it's a digital clock, it would probably be kind of difficult to see on an August morning. I'm just being picky with that one though, the majority of people wouldn't question it, so it's up to you if you want to change it or not.

Lastly, don't personify body parts, it always sounds really weird. Saying that a hand floated gives the impression that it's just randomly floating on its own. A funny image, but probably not what you're going for XD
We were born to be amazing.

260 Reviews

Reviews: 260
Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:07 am
zankoku_na_tenshi says...

And here I am again. :D Ready for chapter two!

Once again, I think this was a good chapter for developing Asha. The scenes showing her relationship with her father showed us a different, more calm and ordinary side to her character, and I think that transition was pulled off pretty well. The good news is that, even without all that anguish in her character to latch onto, she’s still pretty likable.

I also quite liked Josiah, and things like the contrast between how he and Asha normally interact and how his feelings are kind of breaking through. (It’s also kind of easy to relate to for me, because my dad is kind of guarded like that, too). His character seems very realistic and very likeable, and I liked the little details like his appearance when he runs over to Asha—they add realism to his character. I do kind of agree with Tenyo, though, that since our first impression of him has been of this guy who’s all emotional and upset, it’s pretty hard to imagine the cold, guarded person you were describing. Perhaps you should show us a little more of his usual self before those emotions burst through.

Her interactions with her father were also pretty well written, and I liked the dialogue between them. Like I said in the previous chapter, I haven’t read very many fantasy stories that really put some emphasis on the relationship between parents and children, so It’s kind of refreshing to see a story that does—or at least a story that acknowledges that the heroine has parents. XD In any case, I liked the combination of sweetness and sarcasm in their dialogue and her narration, their interaction felt very natural and it was easy to relate to their struggles.

I have to acquiesce, once again, that I’m a little disappointed that the situation seems to be a bit more mundane than I previously assumed, but I’m glad to say that there still seems to be plenty of stuff going on here, and at least enough to keep me hooked throughout. I’m very curious to know what the deal is with what appears to be Josiah’s supernatural origin, as well as the matter of why her brother was sent away, and where Asha is going. There’s definitely enough going on here to make me interested in going on to the second part of the chapter!

One quick nitpicky thing:

He hiccupped, one solitary tear falling onto his prominent cheekbones.

The whole “single tear” thing is kind of a cliché, and it might be a good idea to avoid it. Maybe I’ve just heard Christopher Paolini say it one too many times, but it kind of conjures up images of ridiculous melodrama to me. XD (Also: Speaking as… er, a professional crybaby, people don’t generally start hiccuping until they’ve been really sobbing, a single tear isn’t going to do it).

Sorry that the review is a bit shorter this time around (I suppose this was only half a chapter, so it’s okay XD). Hopefully it was helpful, I’ll see you for part 2!
"The world is not beautiful, therefore, it is." --Kino's Journey

Hey, how about a free review?

336 Reviews

Reviews: 336
Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:59 pm
Jas says...

Hey,

Here for chapter two. I am so jealous of your writing talents. You're amazing. Trust me :)

There really wasn't much to say about this. I think the crying from the father was a bit random. Maybe you should ease into it. Other than that, awesome job! Off to chapter three!

~Jasmine Bells
I am nothing
but a mouthful of 'sorry's, half-hearted
apologies that roll of my tongue, smoothquick, like 'r's
or maybe like pocket candy
that's just a bit too sweet.

~*~

130 Reviews

Reviews: 130
Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:03 am
*coco says...

Hiya, Diane! Coco here again for chapter two. Again, I hardly have anything to critique. :( It's just so perfect the way it is.

My two most favourite lines:
Sometimes my lucid dreams were a curse. They could take me to places whose greatness rivaled heaven’s, but when the nightmares hit, sometimes I wished for hell.

Who knew there was a marshmallow under all of that concrete?

I so wanna write a story with you some day! I mean, your description of Asha's emotions are beautiful, I envy how easily you project them to the reader. It was wonderful to read.

Looking forward to chapter three :)

*coco
"Do you know what my heart says now? It says that I should forget about politics and be with you. No matter what. You're a true Queen, a Queen any King would kill for." - Prince Francis ♕

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:40 pm
Shearwater says...

Hey, Pink here!
I slapped my sweaty palm onto my chest. I could feel my heart flitting around like an angry bee. “It was just a dream,” I mumbled, resting my head on my knees in the cruel, new daylight.

Phew, well now the first chapter makes more sense, haha.

Alright, so I like the mature way you write. I love the way you describe quotes and the flow of you piece is outstanding. Your wording is also amazing. But there's a fallback, sometimes you use words that too long and some words are too foreign, as in you don't cross them everyday. So make sure you don't use anything too complicated to where the reader has to stop and think about what that words means.I think I've said that before but I'm not sure.
But overall, wow, your writing is amazing and I've learned a lot just by reading :) You're extremely good and I envy you for that haha.
Sorry my reviews aren't very helpful but I'll go and try to give you whatever pointers I can lol
On to the next! (I'll have it done by tonight or tomorrow morning ;))
Cheers,

~Pink
There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.
-W. Somerset Maugham

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.
— Mark Twain