z

Young Writers Society

Hurting -- Chapter One

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Thu May 28, 2009 2:26 pm
Sins says...

I have posted a random section of this story and people have asked me to post the whole thing so I've decided to post the first chapter. Rip this to shreds if you desire!

Jade
I smiled as I watched a clear, crystal wave bash against the hard rocks of the shore like a lion attacking it's pray. I had the most perfect life. Nothing ever went wrong for me, and if anything ever did go wrong then my dad was always there to fix it.
I remember once when I was eight, I had to do a school project on the solar system and whoever did the best project won a chance to go to Alton Towers, the nearest theme park. I was dying to win the competition and go to Alton Towers, but unfortunately for me, I was far from good at science. The day I got the information, I told my father. The next thing I knew, he was organizing for one of his assistants to prepare a grade A project for me. I won the trip, of course. People were complaining that I didn't do it myself but it wasn't my fault. I was better than them, so I deserved better. My smile faded.
Thinking back ,I guess it was rather unfair. I don't do things like that nowadays though, I'm a bit to old for theme parks. It would be extremely immature for a fifteen year old to get excited over that.
I breathed in the fresh sea air that had wrapped itself around my relaxed body as another glistening wave crashed against the rocks. Part of me wished that a wave could pick me up and carry me away from everything. I loved being alone, away from everyone.
I loved Amber fountains. It was the best place I could have possibly dreamt of living. It had everything from forests, fields and glorious beaches. Most importantly though ,it had wealth.
I loved spending time on the beach. I loved how everything is so beautiful, but so different. Difference itself is beauty. How nothing is the same and how every single thing is beautifully different in it's own unique way.
It was beginning to get dark but I hadn't really noticed. I felt the warm sand slowly sinking as I prodded over it in my bare feet and I felt the slight breeze of the gentle wind run through my brunette hair. I breathed in deeply again, tasting the salt water in the air. I wasn't often allowed down here, not on my own anyway.
I normally had to come down to the beach with Emily or Sean, my older siblings. My parents were beginning to let me come here on my own now though and that really did make me feel grown up. I know that feeling this made me slightly immature, but I felt quite proud of that fact.
My parents get on pretty well as well. I didn't always get along with my brother and sister though. Once, when I was ten, I had eaten my brothers last piece of birthday cake and he wouldn't speak to me for a month! That's the problem with Sean, he acts so spoilt sometimes.
It was really starting to get late now, the air was getting slightly cooler as well. I was going back to school after the summer holidays in about four weeks but I was dying for the summer holidays to never end, to last a lifetime.
I spent lots of time socializing, but whenever I went out I would sit and watch my friends laugh, and act so carelessly. When they began realizing that I wasn't dancing or anything, they would ask me to join them, and I would. I would laugh along with them but inside, my heart was begging for them to leave me alone. I realized that I was daydreaming again so I turned around towards the direction of my house.
The smell of salt water gradually got weaker as I walked further and further away from the beach. No one else ever came to the beach, my parents privately owned it, although they didn't privately own the whole beach, just that small part. My father had bought it for Emily, Sean and me but it was mine really, my siblings never came here.
The sand was beginning to disappear under my feet and was being replaced with smooth, multicoloured pebbles.
I could see my house now. My house was big. Really big. I kept walking as I looked at the three floors of my house, from every window to every door. There is the front door, of course, the two side doors and one door placed rather randomly on one side of the house. It used to be an old Victorian house but my dad doesn't like old things so he refurnished it completely and had it, what he calls 'modernfied'. I've never told him this but I preferred the house a lot more before it was 'modernfied'.
As I neared my house I thought again about my life. I had everything, there was nothing I didn't have. I suddenly paused as I reached for the handle of the front door and thought. If I had all of this, If I had everything,then why did I feel so unhappy?

Charlie
I live in a mansion, a grand mansion with fancy paintings all over my walls, I have six incredible sport cars and bag loads of money. I have a kind, caring mum and dad and a brother that I've never had an argument with in my entire life. I'm living the dream, I'm the one that everyone aspires to be. I am rich, beautiful and my life is absolutely perfect. Ha. In my dreams.
I opened my eyes and stared at my bedroom wall. I felt stupid for feeling this, but for a small, hopeful moment I actually thought that I would my open my eyes and see a mansion standing in front of me with endless amounts of hallways and floors. Only for a small moment though. A very small, extremely hopeful moment.
Everyone tells me that money doesn't bring happiness but anything was better than what I had. At least when your rolling in the stuff you can use it to comfort you, even if it is fake comfort, at least it's some kind of comfort. I had none of that though.
I dreamt every day. I would spend most of my time simply lying on my bed and dreaming like I was doing today. I dreamt of what life would be like if I lived in Amber Fountains and not stupid old Crystal Fountains. Every day I dreamt of getting picked up by a chauffeur who drives me home from Amber Fountain secondary school in a posh, black limo.
I sighed. I could never even hope to get into Amber Fountain secondary school, you either had to be stinking rich, like the people form that area, or seriously smart. Both of which I was not. I wasn't thick exactly but I wasn't grade A standard either and I was definitely not rich. I made a huge mistake once and told my brother, Will, about my 'dreams'. Unsurprisingly, Will just laughed in my face along with my dad.
Will was my twin brother but he didn't act anything like my brother, let alone my twin brother. He didn't even look like me because we were non identical twins. Will had chestnut coloured hair while mine was a shaggy jet-black. I was quite a lot taller than Will as well and he had brown freckles dotted all over his face like a children's dot to dot. I on the other hand didn't have a freckle in sight.
There was one thing similar about us though. Our eyes. We both had dark, emerald green eyes. Will looked like my dad really, same hair, same face, same nose. I look liked my mum though. I had her dark hair, her spotless skin and her slightly curved smile. I realized that I was clenching my fists.
I loved it when I'm in my bedroom on my own. I could shut myself away from the world, forget. Forget about everything. I sighed.
What was the point? What is the point in anything? What is the point in sunlight? To live I suppose, but then what is the point in living if someday you are just going to die? If you think about it, every thing's point in this world is for living. The point in water is to keep you alive, the point in food is to keep you alive, tree's are there to keep you alive, so are animals, birds, clothes, everything.
The one thing that I didn't understand though is the point in living itself if you're just going to die anyway? Yeah, life sucks.
I sighed once more and realized that I was still staring at my wall. Well, I was staring at the hole on top of my wall really, which had been created form rain and my dad hadn't bothered to get it sorted. He never bothered about me but the second there was something wrong in Will's life, my father was the first to do something about it.
Will's had loads of holes in his wall and my dad had mended every single one. I never complained though because I deserved it. I deserved everything that happened to me. I should have been glad that my dad even allowed me into this house after what happened to mum.
I could have done something. I could have stopped it. If it wasn't for me, mum would still be here. I suddenly burst out crying like I had done every night for the past five years.

Jade
"Dinner's ready darling!" Mummy called from downstairs.
"Okay mummy, boiled eggs?!" I called back.
"Of course dear!" She answered.
What was I going to wear today? I could wear my Dolce and Gabbana jeans with my matching top. No. I had worn that last week though so I couldn't wear that again. It took me a long time to decide, I didn't have enough clothes altogether really, I was going to have to remember to tell my dad to buy me some new ones.
I knew that he wouldn't give in to me the first time I asked, he thought that my own room full of clothes was enough, but he would give in after the fourth or fifth please.
In the end I decided to go downstairs in my silk pyjamas instead of getting dressed, I wasn't going anywhere today after all. I tied my cream dressing gown around my waist. I headed downstairs and the closer I got to the bottom floor, the stronger the smell of bacon and eggs became. After several flights of stairs, I finally reached my kitchen.
"Here you go Miss." The cook said gently as she placed a plate of food under my nose. Her name was Alice or something, I think. She had bleach blond hair that always seemed to be tied into a neat bun on the top of her head.
I didn't really take much notice of daddy's staff so I can't really remember what she looked like. It's not like it matters anyway. I stared at the plate Alice, or whatever her name was, put in front of me in disgust. Placed on the table was a plate containing two bacon slices, a couple of slices of brown toast, a dark brown sausage and to my disgust, a white mess with an orange centre seeping out of it.
"I wanted boiled eggs!" I complained, stabbing the limp, flat egg that was in front of me with my fork.
"Oh, I... I'm s-sorry." The lousy cook said rather shakily.
"What's the problem?" My dad said, narrowing his dark brown eyes before glaring at the cook.
"I didn't realise that Miss. Pritchard wanted her egg boiled." The cook answered, suddenly terrified.
"Well, you should use that thick head of yours for once Annie!" My dad spat.
Annie. I was close, I guess. It didn't matter though, she'd be sacked within the next five minutes.
"If you can't work properly then you don't work at all!" My dad shouted. "Out!"
"But sir, th-this is all I h-have." The cook's eyes were beginning to get bloodshot.
"You should have thought of that before you disappointed my daughter then!" He sniffed.
"B-but..." The cook had obviously lost the battle.
"Out!" My dad screamed.
The cook suddenly ran out of the room. I began laughing quietly.
Aggy or whatever her name was must have been at least eighteen years old. Most of our servants were between sixteen and twenty years old because they lived in Crystal fountains. They worked here so they can earn money to support their family's. If their stupid families had bothered to make something of their life then they would have been living here, in Amber Fountains, and not in an ugly, poor area. I looked up at my dad, he was redder than a blazing fire.
"Bloody scroungers." My dad muttered under his breath. His angry frown turned into a broad smile within the blink of an eye. "Sorry about that darling, you know those Crystals, nothing but trouble." He sighed, running his hand through his light brown hair.
"Don't worry daddy, I understand. I guess I'll have to get my own breakfast." I said sweetly, looking at him innocently.
"Don't you worry about that, I'll have to do your breakfast for today until I can find someone to replace that Crystal." He spat.
I don't think that they deserved to be called Crystals, it's too much of a pretty stone for them to be nicknamed after. The people in my area were called ambers, it was purely based on the name of the area you lived in. If you lived in Amber Fountains then you were known as an amber, obviously, and the scrubbers in Crystal fountains were called Crystals.
After I ate my breakfast, I headed into my living room. I spent a lot of my time in my living room. It had a bright red sofa in the shape of lips, and right next to the sofa there was a dressing table, pink of course. I sat on my dressing table and began brushing my smooth brown hair. I looked in the mirror. I really was pretty. I had incredible eyes that are bluer than the sky itself and my teeth were so perfectly white that it looked like winter fairies have sprinkled them with pure white snow. I had the most adorable dimples when I smiled. My nose was rather badly shaped though, and my eyes had small bags underneath them.
I stood up from my dressing table, shaking the negative thoughts out of my head, and went to sit down on my lip sofa. My mum and dad were in their own living room, Sean was in his and Emily was in hers. I turned on the wide screen television and began flicking through the channels. There was nothing really on so I just decided to watch the news.
Last edited by Sins on Sun May 31, 2009 9:19 am, edited 15 times in total.
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

317 Reviews

Reviews: 317
Sat May 30, 2009 5:07 pm
mizz-iceberg says...

Hola Sinorita!

Here by request! Very interesting story here. I like how you've got a rich kid and then a poor kid and you compare their lives. However while reading it I noticed a few things and I'm just going to point them out.

Tenses

You tend to change your tenses through out the story and that makes it confusing.

For example:
I smiled as I watched a clear, crystal wave bash against the hard rocks of the shore like a lion attacking it's pray. I have the most perfect life. Nothing ever goes wrong for me and if anything ever does go wrong then my dad is always there to fix it.

I think the past tense works well, so try and stay consistent with it. Also another thing:

Conflict

'I have the most perfect life'. Starting one's story with such a sentence (even if it's the second sentence is not a good way to hook a reader. Who wants to read about a girl who has a perfect life and nothing ever goes wrong. That is painfully boring. Reading about problems and difficulties creates suspense. There has to be conflict. Of course you told us in the end of Jade's part that she was unhappy, but I think that was a bit too late. Maybe, you were trying to end it with hook, which makes sense. But don't leave that unhappiness bit to the end. Show us that she's unhappy through out Jade's monologue. I mean, in the beginning is h's smiling, that means she's happy and content, where as clearly by the end she is anything but happy. Was there a change of mood in the middle? Show us that. Feel free to hint things through out your story. It's called foreshadowing. You don't necessarily have to make the ending obvious, but you sort of prepare the reader so that at least the reader is able to believe the ending.

Show vs Tell

show-verb
1. to cause or allow to be seen; exhibit; display.

tell–verb (used with object)
10. to inform (a person) of something.

Would you rather be shown or told? Would you rather see a museum artifact up close and touch and feel it, or rather be told plainly what it looks like? Personally I prefer things to be shown to me.
Writing is a form of telling, one can argue, but we must write to show.

for example:

Telling: She was depressed and felt like crying.

Showing: The air was cool, calm and pleasant, so different from her fast paced heart, her repressed sobs, and the twisted world.

So, Megan, what you have to do is to try your best to show emotions through your character's actions and dialogue rather then explain them or tell them to the reader. Makes sense?

Charlie's part was much better, though you did quite a bit of telling there as well. There was more conflict and problems in his life that made me really want to read and know more about him. He was far more interesting than Jade. I'm sorry, but I don't find Jade very realistic. She seems like a Disney Channel version of a snob. Extremely stereotypical. Avoid stereotypes like the plague. ;) I understand her snobbishness is part of the whole story, but just make it a tad more realistic, dear. Rich people don't have perfect life contrary to the belief. I know you're going to try and show that, but even the perfectness you showed in the beginning is not very real. I mean money has nothing to do with getting along with your siblings all the time, especially if you have such a bratty attitude.

Grammar and Punctuation

Please go through your story very slowly and insert all the missing commas. I noticed a few typos as well, but nothing that you won't be able to notice if you go through your story again, word by word, slowly.

Overall
So the following things you have to work on:
Tenses
Conflict
Showing vs. telling
Comma usage and typos.

Again, I do like the overall idea of your story. Even though I wouldn't call the idea original, I think you can give it a unique twist to it, to make it really stand out. Keep writing, and PM me if you have questions.

All the best,

-Zehra
I'm a godmother, that's a great thing to be, a godmother. She calls me god for short, that's cute, I taught her that.
--Ellen DeGeneres

369 Reviews

Reviews: 369
Sun May 31, 2009 3:31 am
Conrad Rice says...

Hi Megan! I'll be your reviewer for today! :)

My first thing I noticed has to be these paragraphs throughout. They're incredibly big. And they're mostly filled with description and characters navel gazing. Both of these can be trimmed down considerably, though the latter one should be eliminated entirely.

Secondly, I'm not finding a lot here to keep my attention. So you have two characters from both sides of the tracks. What makes them unique? Why do I want to know about them more than any one else in your story's universe? These questions should be addressed in this crucial first chapter. We need to become attached to them now, so that we will care about them and want to read more. As it is, they're somewhat cardboard. One is a stuck up rich girl, and the other is a poor dreamer. Nothing we haven't seen in other stories.

On the other hand though, you do have a good grasp of vocabulary and language. This story is very well written. It flows along very nicely and is pleasing to hear yourself mentally recite. So, good job with that.

This story does have a lot of potential. You just need to work with it a little in order to bring that potential about. Be sure to PM me if you have any questions. Good job, and good luck.

-Conrad Rice
Garrus Vakarian is my homeboy.

456 Reviews

Reviews: 456
Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:29 am
Rascalover says...

I smiled as I watched a clear, crystal wave bash against the hard rocks of the shore like a lion attacking it's pray. I had the most perfect life. Nothing ever went wrong for me, and if anything ever did go wrong then my dad was always there to fix it.

this is a very boring and stereotypical beginning. When starting something like this you want to hook the readers in. I mean it needs a hook where it like the reader like: Oh My God, or like: I want more, Why, where, who what? but I did see good simile use :)

I remember once when I was eight, I had to do a school project on the solar system and whoever did the best project won a chance to go to Alton Towers, the nearest theme park.

I won't point out all of these but you have some comma usage problems. I think with just a good self editing session you could pick out the rest of them :) It should be like:
I remember, once, when I was eight I had to do a school project on the solar system, and who ever did the best project won a chance to go to Alton Towers, theme park.

The day I got the information, I told my father.

No need for a comma here

People were complaining that I didn't do it myself but it wasn't my fault.

There needs to be a comma before but

I was better than them, so I deserved better.

Why did she think this way? How did her enoviroment, family, and possessions help her feel this way?

I breathed in the fresh sea air that had wrapped itself around my relaxed body as another glistening wave crashed against the rocks.

I love the personification of this sentence. its makes it beautiful :)

Difference itself is beauty.

maybe Im just not reading this right, but if I am this makes no sense at all.

My house was big. Really big.

I dont think this is needed because the rest of the description indicates that its big, and also this is telling rather than showing, and you want to show your readers whats going on not just tell them point blank.

I live in a mansion, a grand mansion with fancy paintings all over my walls, I have six incredible sport cars and bag loads of money. I have a kind, caring mum and dad and a brother that I've never had an argument with in my entire life. I'm living the dream, I'm the one that everyone aspires to be. I am rich, beautiful and my life is absolutely perfect. Ha. In my dreams.
I opened my eyes and stared at my bedroom wall.

I really like this opening much more imaginative than Jade's beginning. :)

Overall: i really didn't feel that interested in this piece. It is very stereotypical and I just think the whole time I read it that I've been there done that. Maybe you'll let me be wrong and surprise me with a twist :) You have some comma mistakes.

When conjoining two sentences with

for, and, nor, but, or, yet, and so you have to use a comma before that word so it's not a comma splice.

You also seem to switch tenses. This confuses the reader.

Thank you for requesting a review

Sorry this wasn't a review in your favor :)

-Tiffany
There is nothing to writing; all you do is sit down at a typewriter and open a vein~ Red Smith

Who needs a review? :) http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic38078.html

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:47 pm
Crouching Tuna says...

Hello.

Well, I can't really try to fix the grammars since 3 people beat me to it. Maybe just a few that they may left out.

So, here we go!

Jade's 1st part:

I had the most perfect life. Nothing ever went wrong for me, and if anything ever did go wrong then my dad was always there to fix it.

Like someone already said, just from this sentence, the whole piece doesn't seem interesting anymore. Though in the end you did put the conflict.
I was thinking of changing that description to an opinion, or a thought. Something like, 'I think I had...' or 'people see me as someone perfect'.

If I had all of this, If I had everything,then why did I feel so unhappy?

Is she really concerned about her situation? If this is the story's all about, then maybe the whole Jade part should sound a bit gloomier. It's just, the fact is she's rich, and she sounds very happy until that last 2 sentences. If you make her sound just a little bit depressed from the beginning, then the reader would feel there's something's wrong from that moment on.

My parents get on pretty well as well

Maybe changing it to 'My parents get along fine as well' would sound a little better.

Jade's 2nd part:

The whole part is rather boring. I think from just the first part, it's already crystal clear that she's a rich spoiled girl. The second part adds up to that fact, which is ok, but seeing how the second part still doesn't show the real conflict with her story, makes it really boring to read. The first part at least told her problem, though very little. The second part had no continuation to her problem at all, reading this part gave me the same feeling as reading a little girl's diary.

I think either put this part on later chapter or add more to the plot of her problem.
For example, if Jade and Charlie's supposed to meet later in the story, maybe foreshadow that situation a bit in this second part. Something like as simple as a thought such as, 'I wonder what it felt like to be the Crystals', or something like that.
If not, then forget the last sentence I wrote. =)

Charlie's part:

I like the intro, the way you describe his situation, and also his problems like how his dad is not very fair to him, his mom's tragedy, etc. I don't think this part needs any major change, except for your overall intention with Charlie's character.

The way I see it, Charlie is a very unfortunate person, especially/at least for the past 5 years. My mind automatically thinks he would be someone that is strong, even though he's kind of disappointed in life, but the way you describe it, he seems to whine about his situation, instead of just simply showing them. Intentional?
I mean, there's one point that he wishes to be rich, and there's another point that shows he's in a suicidal mood. His situation is such, but what makes him want to keep on living? Is it the hope that one day he might end up living in Amber Fountains? If so, it's not very clear.

The problem with Charlie's part is kind of similar to the Jade's part, there's no clear conflict in his story. At least Charlie's story is not as boring, and did leave a question(that thing about what happened to his mother) in the end that may be equivalent to a conflict, but in my opinion, that's not enough. Both Jade and Charlie's story didn't make me feel attached to them.

Now...on to some grammar and minor typos.

I'm a bit to old for theme parks

too

Difference itself is beauty. How nothing is the same and how every single thing is beautifully different in it's own unique way.

This sentence sounds pretty, but please make more sense to it.
Beautifully different = it's different.
In it's own unique way = in different ways.
So this kind of means, 'every single thing is different in different ways' ?
CMIIW, I just had some problem understanding it.

I had eaten my brother's

You forgot the '.

There was one thing similar about us though. Our eyes. We both had dark, emerald green eyes. Will looked like my dad really, same hair, same face, same nose. I look liked my mum though

The descriptions about their difference and similarities should be bundled up together. The paragraph before this one tells about their difference, while in this one it tells about their similarities, and goes back to their difference. Work them out. Also, if possible, use another word to replace the second 'though', if it's still needed of course.

I realized that I was clenching my fists.

This gave the idea that he's regretting, or is mad about something. Why?

which had been created form rain

Form.

Will's had loads of holes in his wall

There's no need for a ''s'.

Well, I guess that's all I can do to this story. I hope my review will help you in some way. And...this is my first review so, forgive me if it's not as good as other reviews...

Cheers,
Tuna
Picture is worth a thousand words, but it uses up 3000 times the memory.

95 Reviews

Reviews: 95
Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:57 pm
gamechanger10 says...

because we were non identical twins.

Non-identical twins are called fraternal.
I would know. I am one. :wink:

So, yes, sorry, I'm a bit short on time at the moment, but I'll be back to review this later.
Promise.

-Jocelyn.
"The difference between the right word and almost the right word is the difference between lightning and the lightning bug." -Mark Twain

A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest.
— Paul Simon