z

Young Writers Society

Mayflower [1]

1464 Reviews

Reviews: 1464
Sat May 23, 2009 7:53 pm
View Likes
Juniper says...

A/N: This is the first part of a short story I've been working on for the past week. I'll be posting the next parts over the next few days. Feedback is welcome. :)

Working at Mayflower Center for Challenged children was a challenge in itself. I remember filling out the job application, chewing on the end of the black papermate pen the receptionist handed me. She watched me from behind her desk, peering over her tiny, thin rimmed bifocals. She regarded me with an air of disgust—making me so nervous, I ruined the M in my first name. I had to cross it out, grimacing at how unprofessional it looked and hastily completed the application. I avoided her eyes when I handed it back to her.

“Well,” I said, breathing a sigh, “I certainly hope to hear back.”

“Mm hmm,” she muttered, uninterested. She flipped through some pages on her desk, took my application and shoved it beneath a pile of papers.

“I also have a bit of experience working at a day camp a few years ago… so I know all about children,” I said confidently. I had tried to adopt tips from the interview survival tip guides I had read; they always said to remain confident—even if that meant faking it.

“My little brother had a learning disability, so I’m used to being around disabled people.” She glanced up at me briefly, creating a faint ray of hope for me. I pressed on. “My dad worked with a disabled boy when I was younger, so I spent time around him, and know what it’s like to be around those… you know… you – who are less fortunate.

“And, I once broke my own leg… so I know what it’s like to have a disability as—”

“Look, miss,” she interrupted, “all of your words and measly experience ain’t gonna help you get this job. What you put on the application will. Anything else is just extra fluff.”

I nodded at her, not being able to say anything. I felt a ridiculous lump rise in my throat that was impossible to swallow back down.

“Thank you,” I whispered, unable to find anything else to say. I nodded at her again, turned and left the building.

That week, I reviewed the massive pile of torn-out classified pages, looking over the help wanted section at least ten thousand times. All of the ads I highlighted and circled had either already found a worker, didn’t need a girl, or I wasn’t qualified. A few of them called for interviews, but I had too little experience, wasn’t cut out for the job, or made a complete fool of myself. It was that simple.

“If all else fails,” I said to my friend Cassandra after another exhausting day of job searching, “I can always resort to a fast food restaurant… won’t look so catchy on my résumé, but it’s always an option, no?”

“Keep searching,” she had said, “you never know when one place might call you back. Besides, all of those airborne grease particles in those places can make you so sick, you want to die.”

I knew she was exaggerating, but I tried to sound as if I believed her. In reality, I could tell that she just wanted me to get a higher paying job so that I could repay my debts to her in less time.

I did keep searching, however, with no other luck than “Oh, sorry, we’re not hiring,” or “Sorry honey, you don’t have enough experience.” I was getting tired of it all—the searching, the waiting—everything.

- - -

The phone rang one afternoon and I reluctantly lifted the receiver off the cradle, expecting it to be my mom with a worrisome “You need to get a job,” lecture, followed by an interrogation of “are-you-okay, have-you-been-eating, have-you-been-sleeping, where-have-you-been and why-haven’t-you-called.” If I avoided her calls, she would show up in her shiny black Cadillac, talk for hours about what she’s been doing and leave some money on the kitchen counter. Answering the phone was the only way to keep her at bay. I dried the tears of self-pity that I had been crying and cleared my throat before speaking.

“Hello?” my hoarse voice was evidence of exhaustion.

“Hello, may I speak to Amanda Thurman?”

“Speaking.” I perked up at the mention of my name and cleared my throat again.

“This is Mayflower Center for Challenged Children. You applied for a job here two weeks ago, yes?”

“Yes… that’s correct… I did.”

“We’re sure you’ll be happy to know that you got the job.”

The shock of the words silenced me, almost making me forget to breathe. I wasn’t quite sure what to feel, if I felt anything at the time. All of those long weeks of job searching finally brought to an end?

“Hello?” The voice on the other line asked, bringing me back to reality.

“Oh, sorry,” my voice was soft—possibly too faint for the phone to pick up, “I’m here.”

“How soon will you be willing to start?”

“Oh, um, as soon as possible,” I mumbled, hoping that this wouldn’t affect my reputation, if I even had one back then.

“How does tomorrow morning sound?”

“So soon?” I asked bluntly, but upon receiving no response, I corrected myself. “Tomorrow morning would be great. What time?” I tried desperately to maintain my composure although my stomach had nearly melted away.

“Seven-thirty A.M. on the nose,” the voice on the other line said sharply. “Work begins at eight o’clock, but you’ll need that extra time to prep and setup.”

Seven thirty is so early, I thought. I didn’t even wake until nine on a regular day. I glanced at the clock on the wall. It glared 5:43 PM at me in big, red digits.

“That sounds great,” I lied to the receiver. “Thank you. Thank you very, very much. I’ll be there. And I won’t be late.”

“You’re welcome,” the sharp tone had dissolved into a softer voice. “We’ll see you tomorrow.”

All I could do was nod and gently place the receiver back in its cradle.

- - -

It took a good half-hour for the realization to sink in. When it finally did, I ran over to the windows of my cheap apartment. Flinging the curtains aside, I slid it open and stuck my head out. A breeze blew, inviting and refreshing, like a pool of relief after a long hot day in the sun of job searching. It made me feel giddy; I laughed loudly and screamed joyfully into the evening.

A woman below me walking with a small child looked up at me as if I were crazed. She grabbed the child’s hand and hurried on. I didn’t care; the fact that someone was willing to hire me, a poor twenty-one year old college dropout was exhilarating. I screamed again.

There was a knock on my door. I turned away from the window and went to answer it, peeking through the tiny hole in the middle. It was my neighbor from across the hall; I unlatched the door and opened it.

“Miss, are you alright?”

“I’m fine—no, actually, I’m great! Why do you ask?”

“We heard you scream, twice.” He was obviously annoyed. “Everything in here alright?”

“Everything’s perfect, sir,” I said, trying to hold back the smile that was splitting my face in half." Everything’s wonderful. Sorry for disturbing you.”

He nodded and walked back across the hall, mumbling. After I shut the door, I ran around the apartment, dancing and jumping on the furniture until I was out of breath. Then, plopping myself down on the shabby couch, I reached for the phone and dialed Cassandra’s number.

Not surprisingly, she didn't answer. I considered leaving a message, and quickly decided against it; I wanted to hear her reaction.

-
I woke early the next morning in a panic. It was only six fifty-two, but it was late enough to send me into a frenzied rush. Panicking, I ran around the house, trying to dress and find breakfast at the same time.

Not being able to find my keys put me on the verge of tears, only to laugh at myself when I discovered them hanging in their place on the key-hook. Finally clad in a black blazer over a white shirt and pin-striped miniskirt, I dashed from the house, trying to do my hair up in a presentable bun as I hurried.
Last edited by Juniper on Mon May 25, 2009 4:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Sun May 24, 2009 7:11 am
Actawesome says...

Wow June! When I started reading this I told myself that I would not base this off any prior judgment. As in, I'm not saying any of this stuff just because you helped me.

Be forewarned that this is only my third critic. I'm probably not going to do a good job of it and just end up praising you instead, haha.

You really have a way with prose! After reading the first section I definitely felt the urgency and annoyance of the main character with not finding a job. The dialogue is also great; sounds like things real people say. Also, incredibly witty.

I loved the part when you described all the conversations the main character has with her mom on the phone, it was so funny.

Another great thing you did is start with an experience. If the reader goes through an experience with a character it usually makes them more inclined to read on.

To make the story more in depth I would add some more information about the main character. Usually it is good if the reader knows the main characters name very near the beginning. While you do mention her name (twice) I seemed to have glossed over it in my first read through. Maybe sprinkle it in a bit more at the beginning.

I don't know what to say. It's a great beginning of the story. So recognizable in prose. I'm jealous how personal your writings are.

I wish I could critique grammar, but alas I cannot.

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Sun May 24, 2009 9:03 pm
View Likes
thunder_dude7 says...

June! Hi!

I'm thunder_dude7, and I will be your pure awesomeness reviewer for today.

Overall, I think this was a very good piece. You did an excellent job.

Now, things I would have changed:

She watched me from behind her desk, peering over her tiny, thin rimmed bifocals.

The character, in the rest of the piece, doesn't strike me as observant enough to notice the rim of her glasses or professional enough to use the term "bifocals".

Working at Mayflower Center for the Challenged children was a challenge in itself.

I'd remove this sentence - the reader now knows throughout the story "alright, I just have to wait...eventually, she'll get the job and we can start the story." It almost makes the story feel like an introduction to the storyline.

Now, removing that sentence is one thing. I think the best thing you can do is to remove this part entirely in favor of a different job interview. That way, the reader never thinks, "Oh, she's going to get the job she applied for in the beginning." Perhaps, also in the piece, include a breif list of some jobs she'd applied for. Something like this:

Applying for jobs was practically a job in itself...just yesterday I'd applied at a center for mentally handicapped children, a flower shop, blah blah blah...

This would be a hint at her getting the job without being too obvious about it. If you were to use a passage like this, perhaps use the interview from the flower shop instead of the place she eventually gets the job at. This will make her getting the job she does get more of a surprise to the reader.

Other than that, this was superb. Can't wait to read the rest!

196 Reviews

Reviews: 196
Sun May 24, 2009 9:15 pm
peanutgallery007 says...

Hiya June! I must say, as a lover of grammar, this is exceptionally well- written and revised. You're leaving me very few nit- picks to catch ;)

Mayflower Center for the Challenged children

I don't think you need that "the" in there :)
. It sounds and looks and is unneeded.
She flipped through some pages on her desk, took my application and shoved it beneath a pile.

I think there should be a little more explanation here. She shoved it underneath a pile of what?

He was obviously annoyed, “everything in here alright?”

In the previous dialogue, you ended with a period, indicating that your comma here should also be a period. Capitalize "everything" since it's the beginning of a new sentence the neighbor is speaking.

“Everything’s perfect, sir,” I said, trying to hold back the smile that was splitting my face in half, everything’s wonderful. Sorry for disturbing you.”

I would try this more as;
"Everything's perfect, sir," I said, trying to hold back the smile that was splitting my face in half. "Everything's wonderful. Sorry for disturbing you."

I couldn't explain what was wrong, so I'm just showing you. :) Did you catch everything that I changed?

Over-all

Wonderful; Make it a book or else.

~April
Have a peanut =)

Try your hand at my poetry contest!

Proud LGBT supporter.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon May 25, 2009 12:27 am
Rosendorn says...

Hiya June!

I had to cross it out, grimacing at how unprofessional it looked and hastily completed the application.

I'd break this up into two lines, because right now it feels rushed. And since their are two ideas here (how unprofessional it looked and how she hastily completed the application), they really should have their own sentence each.

“Look, miss,” she interrupted, “all of your words and measly experience ain’t gonna help you get this job. What you put on the application will. Anything else is just extra fluff.”

Wait, the application didn't leave room for this stuff?

Suddenly I'm wondering why she told this to a receptionist. I don't think a receptionist would have much influence.

I nodded at her, not being able to say anything. [...] I nodded at her, turned and left the building.

These lines both have "I nodded at her" and they're almost right on top of each other.

That week, I reviewed the massive pile of torn-out classified pages

So is this before or after she's applied for that job? Because right now that's not clear.

All of the ads I highlighted and circled had either already found a worker, didn’t need a girl, or I wasn’t qualified.

What jobs is she applying for that are gender-spesifc? (The "didn't need a girl" bit)

It was that simple.

I'd like this idea expanded upon, since it feels a bit brief. It's good characterization, but right now we don't have a good enough grasp on her character to be able to fill in the details. Unless you fill them in later...

“If all else fails,” I said to my friend Cassandra, after another exhausting day of job searching,

Methinks you're missing a comma after "friend." Or, you could nix the comma after "Cassandra."

Side note- Cassandra as some mythology of being a fortune-teller who's always ignored. Does that myth bleed into this story at all?

“Keep searching,” she had said,

Hm, the "had" here makes this segment a flash-back, when you'd lost that sense at the beginning. Either put the "had" in the line above this, or delete it altogether.

When it finally did, I ran over to the windows of my cheap apartment.

I'm not sure how much I like the word "cheep" here. Yes, it's a nice piece of telling what her apartment is, but if you had her run to the window, through some bad rooms, and then had her mention the view slightly, it would show that her apartment was cheap.

She grabbed the child’s hand and hurried on, faster.

"Faster" feels tacked-on at the end of this, since "hurried" implies she went faster. I'd expand it into a longer description, or nix it.

a poor twenty-one year old college dropout was exhilarating.

"Poor" doesn't feel very realistic in a first-person story. I think it would feel better if the sentence was reworked like so:

"A twenty-one year old college dropout living in a dirt-cheep apartment"

Or something like that.

peeking through the tiny hole in the middle.

I see why you didn't use the term "peephole" to describe it, since it would end up being repetitive, but I think you should use that term (and re-work the sentence so it's not so repetitive), so we don't think she has a hole in her door from some kind of accedant.

“Miss, are you alright?”

They're neighbours and they don't know the others name? I find that odd.

“We heard you scream, twice.” He was obviously annoyed, “everything in here alright?”

~ Hm, "obviously" does put in some description, but not a lot. If this man is just going to show up once I guess it's okay, but I'm not to fond of how sketchy is it.

~ I'd make the comma after "annoyed" a period, and capitalized the first word in the dialogue.

I said, trying to hold back the smile that was splitting my face in half, "everything’s wonderful. Sorry for disturbing you.”

Same comment about the comma here.

He nodded and walked back across the hall, mumbling. After I shut the door, I ran around the apartment, dancing and jumping on the furniture until I was out of breath. Then, plopping myself down on the shabby couch, I reached for the phone and dialed Cassandra’s number.

Just pointing out that every sentence in here is a compound sentence. It breaks up the flow a bit.

I woke early the next morning in a panic.

What made her get up early, if she normally sleeps in late? Is she worried because she overslept her alarm? Tell us why she got up early, when you said she normally doesn't before.

Characters: By the end of this, the reader has a pretty solid grasp on the character. At the beginning, however, there could have been a bit more reason to why she does things. As you progress in the story, people start getting into the character's head and can fill those blanks in on their own, but when the story is just starting, you need to provide more "why" behind a character's actions so readers don't feel so lost.

Description: I find you could show, not tell, some of the smaller details here. You've pretty good at showing your character, but the enviroment around her is left to telling descriptions. I know you can pull out some good showing descriptions, June. Use them.

Overall: So, as I told you in Chat, I had to review this. I couldn't stand to see a story with such good bones walk away with the mistakes I saw. That should tell you something about what I thought of this. ;) (Translation- I liked it ^_^)

Questions? Drop me a line.

~Rosey
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

1464 Reviews

Reviews: 1464
Mon May 25, 2009 4:30 am
Juniper says...

Thank you Acta, Thunder, April and Rosey for the wonderful reviews! I took some of the things you said into consideration-- a few things I left by choice.

Wait, the application didn't leave room for this stuff?

Suddenly I'm wondering why she told this to a receptionist. I don't think a receptionist would have much influence.

It does!

This part is to show her inexperience in the work field; you usually wouldn't tell a receptionist this sort of stuff, of course, but this is her trying to build a reputation for herself, drawing on her memory for anything that might aid her.

So is this before or after she's applied for that job? Because right now that's not clear.

This is after. This is her searching for alternatives in case she did not get the job; it's kind of a rub-off of so many weeks searching. ^_^

"Poor" doesn't feel very realistic in a first-person story. I think it would feel better if the sentence was reworked like so:

"A twenty-one year old college dropout living in a dirt-cheep apartment"

Or something like that.

And, this would be self-pity, a description of herself in humbling terms or something.

What made her get up early, if she normally sleeps in late? Is she worried because she overslept her alarm? Tell us why she got up early, when you said she normally doesn't before.

When there's an event the next day, do you ever sleep on like... anxiety/excitement, and wake up early just because you have something to look forward to? That's the sort of thing going on here. :)

Hope that cleared some things up. As this story is narrated after she quits the job, I don't want to go into too much super detail.

Thanks guys! I appreciate the reviews!

Juniper
"I'd steal somebody's purse if I could google it and then download it." -- Firestarter

571 Reviews

Reviews: 571
Mon May 25, 2009 2:06 pm
View Likes
Esmé says...

Hello,

It’s May and tomorrow’ Mother’s Day, which means I’ll be standing in a horribly long line at the flowershop, trying to decide what flower to get exactly. That one, or the other one. The yellow tulip or the red rose? The whatsis-purple one, perhaps…

To “Mayflower”, though.

Introduction

In way of introduction – of the “solid” sort. Not necessarily something which instantly draws in, nothing terribly breathtaking, but then again, there’s no description of weather, either. I read it (strictly first sentence) and my first impression was contemporary linked, of the no fantasy/sci fi but rather realistic fiction.

On a slightly different note, shouldn’t “children” be capitalized also?

First introductory section

- has tense problems: first paragraph. Fingernails on a chalkboard. Or, to rephrase, perhaps not tensing directly, but it’s the first thing that comes to mind after reading “I remember”. That “I remember” somehow does imply that whatever she remembers (and so, what follows, happened some time ago), which would merit a change of tense. That doesn’t happen, and I suppose you could leave it as it is, as adding “had” to the entire section would scratch this time at the eyes, although now it’s clashing with the “I remember”.

- disgust is a very strong emotion.

Characterization

- Amanda.
The reader appreciates lack of mirror scene and intro along the lines of “Hi, my name is…” Info smuggled as dialogue to receptionist works quite nicely.

Indebted to her friend, seeking confidence in guides and faking it on countless job interviews, from which she gets the standard “we’ll call you”. I think that was created quite nicely, even if perhaps I’d like to see a bit more desperation in that? Hmm.

I’m not to sure what to think of her personality – outgoing, shy? Of course, one can’t really choose between the two and stick to it, but my point is that I’d like to see a bit more of Amanda in Amanda’s narrative.

Mmm, I disliked her attitude toward the time – the early risings, etc. I would have thought she’s be more vividly happy, thrilled. Instead she’s ranting that she’ll have to get up soon. And then she’s horribly hurrying to that job, not nervous enough to wake up come dawn in the morning – maybe she’s ruining my expectations of her, a bit. But ah, well.

As to her relationship with her mother, I’m not too sure if I feel any empathy there. Or perhaps it’s how that (relationship) is phrased. Money on counter – bonus, no, if she’s unemployed. Of course, might hurt her pride – but then mention it? And then, Mother is a bit – well, too “motherly”. Too caring, etc., much too concerned, asking to many questions. But here I got a tad bit annoyed. Loving mother, etc., and Amanda, apart from taking that for granted, makes it sound as if going through those telephones is a trial.

And maybe it is. But see, I don’t see it. Those questions do certainly help create an image of an overly concerned mother – but as of yet, there’s nothing that would want to make me scream in that character (mother). Yeah?

- Receptionist.
I dislike that “air of disgust” part. Any particular reason why that would be there? She’s see countless people applying, etc. I’d go for disinterested, not disgusting, if anything. Scary monster imaginary, I like.

Basically that is all I have to say. Later on, after the phone call itself, nothing really important happens, and there I have no comment. We do finally get to see her happiness, pictured in screaming, which is odd but a nice touch, I suppose. The horrid “I remember”, and then later a “back then” hint at a mystery, adding a bit of suspense even if there is to be no mystery at all. I don’t know if I approve of that particular method of – ah, tantalizing? – the reader, but we’ll see.

Cheers,
Esme

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue May 26, 2009 2:12 am
Rosendorn says...

Oh, yes, now it makes much more sense. (But it never hurts to ask!)

However, I found one thing I'm not found of (I think this was from the edits):

I woke early the next morning in a panic. It was only six fifty-two, but it was late enough to send me into a frenzied rush. Panicking, I ran around the house,

"Panic" shows up twice here. It's a bit repetitive.

~Rosey
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Sun May 31, 2009 1:52 am
Kylan says...

June --

This was good. Solid stuff. As someone else mentioned, not overly appealing as an introduction, but you've painted a fairly relatable character for the audience to sympathize with. I get the feeling that this isn't the kind of story that is befitting of a flashy hook, but nonetheless, I encourage you to consider opening things up with a little more flare? It may help.

You've done a good job with the character, but you've kind of dropped the ball with descriptions of the setting and so forth. You have these minute details sprinkled throughout -- like the chewed-on pen and the black caddy; these are good -- but I come away with a bland taste in my mouth. I want to know more about the state of the apartment, what the neighbor looks like, if its raining or sunny, etc.. The setting is unremarkable. And a solid writing coupled with a nondescript setting makes for pacified, muffled prose.

Another thing I noticed was that, at times, your dialogue seems a little forced. Especially the lines given by the receptionist, or Cassandra's "clever" response. They were just...unnatural. And the rest of the dialogue was as nondescript as the setting. It was solid, but didn't really reveal anything about the characters. Like I said in the chat, I deal in contrast. I like contrast. Contrast makes for good dialogue, good situations, good vibrations. I think something that may help your dialogue is to dirty up your characters. Is Amanda really that good? She needs a secret. A hamartia.

all of your words and measly experience ain’t gonna help you get this job

This is the line I particularly disliked. Bolded parts I particularly particularly disliked.

“Thank you,” I whispered, unable to find anything else to say.

The whispering bit makes Amanda out as a drama queen. An over-reactor. I'd leave it at "said", personally.

Finally clad in a black blazer over a white shirt and pin-striped miniskirt

I really don't like it when authors find it pertinent to describe what their characters are wearing, unless it's important to the story. It makes it seem as if you're trying to live through your characters, storybook style. Ew. Take this tidbit out.

Anyway. Overall, good stuff. I'll be back for more!

-Kylan
"I am beginning to despair
and can see only two choices:
either go crazy or turn holy."

- Serenade, Adélia Prado

73 Reviews

Reviews: 73
Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:19 am
BarrettBenedict says...

Hi there. Welcome to my review, which will probably end up being less than helpful. But hey, I'm committed. :)

First of all, it looks like you've got a decent amount of help already from reviewers. To be honest I didn't find anything wrong with this piece by the time I got to it.

Granted it doesn't have time travelling dogs or wormhole explosions or any of that nifty stuff I'm partial to, but it does convey something I'm very familiar with in my daily life. And that would be the difficulty of a job hunt, which I have been fruitlessly engaged in for the last few months :roll:

The beginning, in particular, caught me. The same exact thing happened to me earlier this year, when I was applying for a job at a retirement home. This part in particular:

She regarded me with an air of disgust—making me so nervous, I ruined the M in my first name. I had to cross it out, grimacing at how unprofessional it looked and hastily completed the application. I avoided her eyes when I handed it back to her.

could be my exact words. Except the letter in my name would be a B.

Overall, I give it a solid for making the mundane personal and interesting. I'm now totally curious to read about the uncertainties and probable embarrassments of the first day. :)
"Is", "is." "is" — the idiocy of the word haunts me. If it were abolished, human thought might begin to make sense. I don't know what anything "is"; I only know how it seems to me at this moment. -Robert Anton Wilson

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:17 am
View Likes
TheEccentricScribe says...

I liked this. The writing was nice, not adorned, straightforward and relatively believable as a first-person narrative. It's difficult to find much to comment on because I can't see the overarching concept you're working with, but I will be glad to see it progress.

My only nitpick is in the first line, where you state the title of the place she's working on, but children is not in caps. If it's part of the title, it should be.

I enjoy the tight little adjectives you work in to describe things - how she's feeling, how she perceives others. If you can keep this sort of neat, trimmed use of adjectives working for you the way it does here, then you should be proud of that. It is nice to see people who don't need to ramble on like me to get a point across. Keep up the fine work.

713 Reviews

Reviews: 713
Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:18 am
BigBadBear says...

June! I love you. You're freaking awesome.

Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou. I love reading good, solid prose like this. This wasn't that hard to read, like a few other stories I have reviewed in the past. I like this. It has a really fast pace, but it's not rushing at all. In fact, I think it's coming along just perfectly. I don't quite agree with what Kylan said about not starting off with a bang. I think for a dramatic piece like this (after all, this is what this will turn into, right?), this is a perfectly acceptable beginning. It has all we need to begin with: the Main Character's name, age, history all in about two or three pages. This is wonderful, June.

One thing that I'd like to focus on, just a titch more would be the setting. I don't know where this is taking place. For instance, take the Mayflower building. What does it look like? What signs are hanging up, and how many people are in it? Is there a chair and a coffee table to sit down in to fill out the application? I'm not sure at all where this taking place, city-wise. Give us a bit more detail, and I think this should turn out good. June, I really don't know what else to say. I hate giving out critiques that are all praise because they generally suck and aren't helpful. Also! You need to post more, because I'm not gonna let this story flop. You have much too great of a beginning here to let it flop, so write, dang you!

Best of luck in all you do,

-Jared
Just write -- the rest of life will follow.

Would love help on this.

95 Reviews

Reviews: 95
Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:53 am
ZaddieCaso says...

I don't really feel authorised enough to review this, it's amazing. To be honest the only thing I noticed was the incorrect tense in your first section but I think somone else had pointed that out. I absuloutely love this piece, it drew me in right away and I look forward to reading part .

Just an idea but it might be nice to add in some background story. In the interview you mentioned her disabled brother, if this is true it would be nice to go into it a bit more. You could do a lot with that.

Best thing I've read all week,

Zaddie
Everything has been figured out, except how to live.

Jean-Paul Sartre

I hate television. I hate it as much as peanuts. But I can't stop eating peanuts.
— Orson Welles