Valentina
50%

Total votes : 2

263 Reviews

Reviews: 263
Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:10 pm
Angels-Symphony says...

The short story. the end.
Last edited by Angels-Symphony on Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself into one.

The writer, when he is also an artist, is someone who admits what others don't dare reveal.

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:48 pm
CastlesInTheSky says...

Hey there, angelsymphony! Sarah here as requested! :D I'm not going to do a line-by-line, nitpicking critique, because your spelling and grammar seems to be looking good. And anyway, the overall critiques always help a lot more.

I think you have a really great idea going here. I like the developement of Jade, changes in characters are always good. The emotions are well portrayed and the whole process was very maturely done. my main problem with it is that you're telling, instead of showing the reader what's happening. Show, don't Tell is the most classic piece of advice you'll ever get for your writing. It's the difference between a published novel and fanfiction. This story has potential and I'd love to see it go somewhere, so here's some rules on how to show, instead of telling.

While “telling” can be useful, even necessary, most people don’t realize how vital “showing” is to an effective story, essay, or even a blog post. Showing allows the reader to follow the author into the moment, to see and feel and experience what the author has experienced. Using the proper balance of showing and telling will make your writing more interesting and effective.

I

Use Dialogue.

This is probably one of the first things my teacher tells the class when he has us write personal essays. Dialogue allows the reader to experience a scene as if they were there. Instead of telling the reader that somebody was angry or frightened, for example, they can hear it for themselves:

'No!' she screamed, pressing herself against the door. 'Get away from me!'

Dialogue can give your reader a great deal about character, emotion and mood.

II

Use sensory language.

In order for readers to fully experience what you’re writing about, they need to be able to see, hear, taste, smell and touch the world around them. Try to use language that incorporates several senses, not just sight. this will give your reader a much stronger image of everything that is happening around your character, and really put them right into the world existing in your head.

III

Be descriptive.

I’m sure everyone remembers learning to use adjectives and adverbs in elementary school. When we’re told to be more descriptive, it’s easy to go back to those things that we were taught. But being descriptive is more than just inserting a string of descriptive words. It’s carefully choosing the right words and using them sparingly to convey your meaning.

The following example is from a short story I wrote.

Telling: He sits on the couch holding his guitar.

There’s nothing wrong with that sentence. It gives the reader some basic information, but it doesn’t create an image. Compare that sentence with this:

Showing: His eyes are closed, and he’s cradling the guitar in his arms like a lover. It’s as if he’s trying to hold on to something that wants to let go.

The second example takes that basic information and paints a picture with it. It also uses figurative language—in this case, the simile “cradling the guitar in his arms like a lover”—to help create an image.

When using description, it’s important not to overdo it. Otherwise, you can end up with what I call “police blotter” description. For example:

He was tall, with brown hair and blue eyes. He wore a red shirt and jeans, and a brown leather jacket.

IV

Be specific, not vague.

Instead of writing, “I had never felt anything like it before in my entire life,” take the time to try and describe what that feeling was, and then decide how best to convey that feeling to the reader. Your readers will thank you for it.

Good luck, angels! And thankyou for the read!

-Sarah
Had I the heavens embroider'd cloths,
I would spread the cloths under your feet.
But I being poor, have only my dreams,
So tread softly, for you tread on my life.

273 Reviews

Reviews: 273
Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:39 pm
Lost_in_dreamland says...

Hey there Angel's xD I'm Lost, and I shall be your critiquer for today :) I have numbered certain parts in bold, the parts are explained at the end in case you're wondering :)

Chapter 22: Nature’s Harmony

“It took precisely seven and a half minutes to get from Town Hall to the church.”1 King calculated while reading his golden pocket watch. We’d just set foot on the church’s fertile land and the others were ready to go back to the simple house we called our own. I, however, wasn’t really in the mood for spending time indoors. Going to the house clearly meant I’d have to spend my time with others’ unnecessary company. The others weren’t getting on my nerves or anything like that, it was just that I wanted some time to think, to breath, and to take it all in.2

“Are you okay 3 Jade? You look a little down.” Valentina’s silvery voice sang as she stared at me with dubious4 concern.

I was always at a disadvantage when it came to hiding my feelings; my face always somehow managed to give away my emotions. 5

“Oh6 I’m fine!” I insisted, forcing a pained smile onto my pallid face. “I just don’t feel like heading in yet is all. I think I’m going to explore a little bit. You know, see the sights.”

Valentina looked at me as if she knew better; she was not a fool. As she was about to question me further, King stepped in. He subtly grasped Valentina’s covered shoulder and nodded approvingly; I nodded back before reversing on my heel. The rest of the group stayed silent as I left them. I’m pretty sure they were contemplating King’s obscure actions because that was exactly what I was doing.

Why did King let me go off so easily? He’s usually, more protective and cautious. Is he losing it or something? Valentina was just about to stop me, but… The speculation shuffled my fancies 7 as I headed east towards the dense forest.

I was at the foot of the murky woods when I heard a faint cry; a familiar faint cry.

“Be back by supper, Jade!” The voice cried. I managed to understand the sentence the person spoke, but I wasn’t able to identify the speaker.

“I’ll be there. Don’t worry.” I whispered under my hushed breath8. My trembling feet were planted deep in the groggy soil of the lush forest known only as the Mystic Haze. My narrowed eyes pried the deserted area; I knew that I wouldn’t find anyone other than myself in the misty woods.

Mystic Haze… I wonder why they named something so creepy 9… I thought before entering the cryptic foliage. The distinct boundary between Angel’s Landing and Mystic haze was distinct and definite; the haze was a compact forest. The colorful variety of pastel trees kissed the sky, and a calm mist surrounded the cool forest. I was completely aware of all the danger I could possibly run into by entering the forest by myself, but I stepped into the alluring haze as if I were in a mystical trance.

Being in a trance isn’t fun at the very least. It’s something rather annoying to be exact. When you’re in a trance it’s like you’re alive and you’re aware of what you’re doing, but you have no control over your actions. It’s almost as if someone else is controlling you like a puppet. Almost like your body takes over and overpowers your mind.

So there I was sauntering through the misty vegetation, my ability to function temporarily suspended with my mind efficient and capably aware of my paranormal actions.10 I didn’t fight the trance; I knew I’d lose to the influential force hypnotizing my body. I also knew that if I escaped the trance I was in (which was hardly likely), I’d still be mesmerized by celestial forest. So I kept my quivering mouth shut and mused as I let the hypnotic trance take over.

I spent an immeasurable amount of time meandering my way through the endless undergrowth of the haze, yet I didn’t complain or whine. I was perfectly content with what was happening for some reason. The forest was so peaceful and still; it seemed almost as if time froze while in the presence of the forest. My suede brown school shoes became muddy and flooded with the soil’s moisture, so they eventually slipped of11 my frigid toes and I was walking barefoot. The soggy herbage mixed with the damp mud soothed my aching feet and felt nice between my squishing12 toes. I wandered on; exact location I was headed for unknown. I passed ancient trees with thick roots that traveled in fertile soil the endless forest. A few times I spotted a family of dark blue quails; their puffed chests covered in snow white feathers.13 I even managed to spot a lively herd of reindeer while passing. Their coats explored every shade of brown, black, and auburn.14 I watched intently —still walking— as they ran gracefully north, away from me. They trampled the whitening shrubbery below their feet as they ran; their heavy steps sent deep staccato vibrations in the soil that were quickly absorbed by my muddy feet and dissolved into my body.

Right then as the last deer disappeared into a clearing, my body crouched and darted in the direction of the husky reindeer. I knew then that my body really had taken over because I’d never ran that fast in my life.

What is going on? I conjectured as I ran swift as a gazelle through the woods. The dark wooded trees and plant life disappeared before my very eyes as I bolted north; all I could see was a blend of pastel colors. The racing wind danced along the sides of body as I ran. The whistling wind felt like ice against my ashen cheeks. Although the wind was opposing my direction, it never slowed me down by the least. Instead, I accelerated,15 winning the race against one of the dominating forces of nature.

After conquering the forceful wind, my pace slowed until it was only the speed of a traveling person.16

Okay, well this is a weird experience. A REALLY weird experience.17 Hypnotic trances and running like a gazelle. And now look! I’m in some sort of vast meadow surrounded by the mighty Elysia Mountains. HA! Wait a minute! My fancies were interrupted by the mesmerizing clearing. I had to pause my mind to take in the illustrious meadow. A large clearing of land, undisturbed by any mighty trees, was what my bare feet were stepping in. Minor shrubbery blew gracefully with the racing wind; almost as if the plants were dancing along to the wind’s harmony. Past the ever green foliage stood the magnificent Elysia Mountains covered in a massive layer of glittering snow. The whole place glittered; it sparkled. It was astounding how the land was so pristine and pure; unsoiled by the filthy hands of heartless humans.18

When I reached the direct center of the meadow, my trance stationed my wintry body into the land. And there I stood, in the center of sheer beauty belonging to the generous Mother Nature.19 As I stood tall and courteously in the center, the forces of nature calmed themselves and stroked my senses. The intense beams of the powerful sun warmed the surface of my colorless skin and entered my frozen being. The serene water of nearby stream brushed along my calves as it flooded past me. The compelling earth placed before me was overwhelming to my wide eyes and smelled of fresh flowers and peppermint in a perfectly mixed solution. Last for my senses was the graceful wind. The whispering wind brushed my face and danced along with the earth.20 As the wind blew through the tall grass, the flexible grass followed the wind’s lead and swayed along with the wind‘s pattern. And then I heard it. It was at that very moment I realized what was really going on. I silenced myself and stood very still as the wind stroked my sides and entered my ears. It was then I heard the melodious sound of nature. The wind whistled lightly in my ear as it swiftly ran passed me, the serene water drenched my feet and its sound bubbled along harmoniously with the wind. The sun’s intense beams presented the pristine beauty of the earth as if it were a giant spotlight and the earth was the stage.21 It was then I realized that nature was performing for the senses and I was selected as the audience.22 The sturdy earth was the stage, the blazing sun the spotlight, the whistling wind the orchestra, and the playful water the performer.23 They moved together in equal harmony with each other. Not one of them played stronger than the others or took the untouched role as the lead; they played together as one family, a single unit, an absolute whole.24

It was there I learned the meaning of true harmony. True harmony is the absolute agreement of the forces. It’s when the most talented and gifted work as equals with the smallest of performers. True harmony is symphonic consistency created by wholesome trust with your fellow players. To hear Nature’s harmony, all you have to do is slow down and listen. That’s all it takes. You cannot find it by looking with your eyes; you find it by looking with your heart and by letting nature take control. Just relax and have a little faith. That’s all you must do.25

When the spiraling wind waltzed out of the clearing, I knew the private performance was over. The bubbling brooks speed slowed down to a constant tempo, and the blazing sun was partially covered by an oversized puffy cumulus cloud. Only the earth stayed the same; its terrain magnificent as before. My trance led me onward past the meadow and deeper into the northern forest still apart of the haze. Once in the compact foliage, my body bolted north again. I let my body take control; my instincts were almost definite that we were almost there.

Indeed, my instincts were correct. My treading feet slowed its pace until they finally came to a halt at the foot of a sparkling waterfall. The depths of the haze was home to way more than I would’ve thought. The cascading waterfall looked magical; almost as if it came out of someone’s brilliant fantasy. The smooth gray rocks guiding the lively falls rocketed up to heights near the treetops. Bright green moss covered most of the rocks, and rested on the smaller stones in the river the falls poured into. Scattered light fell from the sky; the beams were distorted by the towering trees. One beam of light managed to form a rainbow that arched over the dazzling waterfall.

“This is, so, beautiful…” I muttered under my breath. The brilliant waterfall was so captivating that I hardly noticed I was panting like a dog from the long run.

“It’s, magical…” I26 whispered to myself as if I had just learned some sort of secret. The word magical abruptly dismissed my trance and I fell to the rugged ground.

“Ouch! Shoot! I knew my body couldn’t possibly manage to handle all that super-power running! It‘s not like I‘m superman!” I growled unintelligible things to myself. On the ground I found myself face to face with my reflection in the calm waters of the sparkling river. The reflection I saw in the river startled me. In the river I saw me, but a me of the future. I saw myself about five years older and gorgeous. My liquid jade eyes stared at me sweetly , batting dark lashes lightly.27 My perfect skin glowed like moonlight against a crescent bay, and my cherry pink lips curled into a lucid smile. I blinked twice while holding the stony ground to keep my balance; I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. Before dissolving into a million ripples, the image of the older me winked at me cheerfully and mouthed the word destiny. The beautiful image faded into the river, looking almost as if it were never there.28

“Wait! Come back! Who are you? What do you mean destiny? I don’t understand!” I cried to the surface of the river. I knew it was too late to find her again, but I just had to try. Ever since I first set foot on Angel’s Landing I had the feeling that people were trying to tell me something. However they weren’t straightforward with their message. Instead, they gave me bits and pieces of a mysterious larger picture.

“Come back…” I whispered quietly to the river. My face was so close to the surface of the still water that my lips almost brushed against the top of it. I stared at my reflection in the crystal pool and saw the real me at the time. I saw a calm ashen face, serious jade eyes, and chapped cherry lips forming a hard line.

“What’s happened?” I sighed to myself, face still almost touching the water.

I gazed down at the reflection and saw two beings appear on either side of me. At first I couldn’t recognize the people beside me in my reflection, so I rubbed my eyes. My sight focused and saw my mama and papa. Mama was holding me close to her and lightly kissed the top of my head. Papa was holding my shoulder and nodded assuringly to me. The two images then mouthed we believe in you before dissolving into the water as the previous illusion did. 29

“No!” I cried, tears starting to fill my eyes. “Come back! I don’t understand! What am I supposed to do? Don’t leave me again! Please! I’m not strong enough to lose you again! Don’t leave me!”

Warm tears ran down my burning cheeks as I called for my parents. I called their names again and again, but they never came back; nothing ever appeared in the river again.

“Come back…” I whispered to the river; my lips kissing the waters edge. As I kissed the surface of the icy water I felt something shove my bottom and I fell into the frigid water. I tried to scream, but as I opened my mouth to let out a cry the brisk water entered my system. I tried to swim up to the surface, but I was in too deep already; there was no hope for me.30

Okay, I had a few issues with this piece. Let's go over them first, and then we'll talk of the good stuff, okay ? I'm sure you'd rather let me tell you of the bad stuff too, so that you can improve upon that.

Tenses
Your tenses changed in the middle, and then went back. You need to keep a consistent tense, otherwise we'll get confused and won't read on.

Show don't tell
Sarah's done a whole review on it, so I won't go into it too much. Basically, get those characters in there! If you describe something have some dialogue too. Dialogue can do wonders for showing. Have characters interacting and describing things. I won't go into this a lot either, if you go to the knowledge base you might find some articles on it there, they can be very helpful xD

Character Development
Yours is going very well :D I think as this story progresses so too will the character development, you're doing really well as it is, but after a while it will be incredible ;) Remember though that you are doing well. Give them quirks and make them stand out. Pull them off the page. Give them life. They are real. They are, so make them be. Have them question themselves and their motives. Have them regret and hate, love and mock. Make them human:

"He'll love and hate, equally under cover, and esteem it a species of impertinence, to be loved or hated again"

-Emily Bronte, Wuthering Heights.
By using this language, Emily has created an image of Heathcliff. A false one, however, as Lockwood is a shallow man. She has made him real. By realizing that people love and hate and including this langauge, she makes her characters come alive. Anyway,I shall not go into Wuthering Heights just now, I love that book with all my heart xD

Word Choice
I think this is perhaps your biggest problem here. It just doesn't seem like your writing. Did you use a thesaurus? It just doesn't seem like natural word flow. Don't worry, we all do that. But be careful of what words you put in what place. Please don't feel that you need to use a thesaurus, because you really don't. You are a great writer without these big words. What I'm saying is:
Just be careful where you put them. 'kay?

Good things !!!

Your character development is coming along really well. Your writing is mature too. You have a good flow, too and if you're careful of those words it'll flow fantastically. I feel that your biggest quality on this story is going to be character development as it's coming along really well xD

Numbers:

1. This doesn't work too well as your opening sentence. The tense is wrong, it should be:

It takes precisely seven and a half minutes to get from the town hall to the church.

or
It took us precisely seven and a half minutes to get from the town hall to the church.

We don't really know what's going on or who the characters are, and you don't really explain this, ever.

2. This was really good description, very good for your character development, well done xD

3. comma

4. Dubious doesn't really fit very well here, you could just have concern. I don't really understand what you meant :lol:

5. Good :D

6. comma.

7. Again, the language isn't right. You don't have a consistent prose, yours is normal at one minute and then jumps to 'posh' language that you wouldn't expect this character to use.

8. Doesn't make sense again, should just be:
I whispered under my breath

or
I whispered in a hushed breath

personally, I'd nix the hushed.

9. It should be creepily not creepy.

10. Totally, totally doesn't fit your character. You need to nix this whole part and revise it to fit your character. You are a really good writer :D You just need to start believing that and not using the huge words. If you want to use these words you need to change your MC's personality.

11. off not of :lol:

12. Your toes aren't actually squishy, the ground might be but your toes aren't :lol:

13. Really nice description, here is the perfect place to add in some imagery. a simile or metaphor, whatever you want xD

14. See, this part is good, but auburn is a shade of brown so you can't use it. :lol:

15. Great description ;)

16. Travelling has two l's.

17. This is where the tense changes. You really need to completely revise this part, it makes no sense and doesn't work. It does the opposite, it confuses your readers and puts them off. Also, there's no need to capitalize really, just italicalize it.

18. Fantastic, fantastic, fantastic description. Perfect :D

19. I think you should personify Mother Nature here, well evidently Mother Nature is a personification but I think you should take it futher. Have mother nature grabbing her pearl earrings or something. I don't know but I think it'd be a nice effect ;)

20. Really good description again :)

21. Again, really good ;)

22. Woah! You're hitting me with it again. It's great xD

23. Seriously, this description is amazing. This is exactly why you do not need a thesaurus. This, is incredible.

24. Gosh, I'm not even going to bother repeating myself again :lol:

Woah, this is really, really good Angels ;) xD the description is amazing.

25. Really, beautiful, heartwarming little speech. Perhaps a tad cliched but it's all the better. This really is great;)

26. The elipsises should be after the it's, should read:
it's...magical.

27. This bit is rather clumsy:
Bashing dark lashes lightly.

because dark in this context means colourwise and lightly means weakly. This almost sounds like an oxymoron at first. I'd change lightly to weakly or something else. It's awkward otherwise.

28. Bit rushed.

29. This part is too rushed. We don't know why she cares for her parents, or why they're there. One minute they're there, next they're gone. We haven't been introduced to the parents or her love for them so we feel no empathy for her.

30. Far too rushed an ending, but yet I want to know more. So it's okay I guess :lol:

~Lost

Hope I helped xD
for what are we without words and stories?

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:51 pm
JabberHut says...

Hi, angels! =D

Dialogue Is Silly...

...But it's important, and because it's so important, we need it to make sense. That means we need correct punctuation. Snoink wrote an article on Dialogue Grammar found in the Knowledge Base that covers basically everything. It's a very quick read. xD Let's pull a couple of yours here. Overall, you did pretty well!

“It took precisely seven and a half minutes to get from Town Hall to the church. [comma instead]” King calculated while reading his golden pocket watch.

Are you okay, <-- Comma! Jade? You look a little down. [comma instead]” Valentina’s silvery voice sang as she stared at me with dubious concern.

Not only do we need the comma at the end of the quote, but we always use a comma when addressing other people. ^_^

So just go back through and see if you can't fix some of that. They're dialogue rules that are used all around, and I don't think it's about time for the world to change the rules just yet. XD

“Oh, <-- Comma! I’m fine!” I insisted, forcing a pained smile onto my pallid face. “I just don’t feel like heading in yet is all. I think I’m going to explore a little bit. You know, see the sights.”

Just a comma nit-pick on my part. xD I like your wording in the tag, though! Very nice choice of words! And the dialogue in general is so realistic. I may have changed the last comma to a dash there, but it's all based on style really. ^^

Mystic Haze… I wonder why they named something so creepy… I thought before entering the cryptic foliage.

And maybe put thoughts in italics? Or, instead, just down' say the MC thought it. We're reading what the MC is thinking already because it's in first person, so that tag "...I thought" is unneeded. ^_^

A final point on dialogue: Make it realistic. Throughout the piece, I find quotes that seem realistic and others that seem like it's narration forced into a quote. Unless the character speaks in such a descriptive tongue, try to mend that a bit. Example:

“Ouch! Shoot! I knew my body couldn’t possibly manage to handle all that super-power running! It‘s not like I‘m superman!”

Modern translation: "Ouch! I must've used too much energy when I ran." Actually, wait. How does this hurt? Can't she just be exhausted? I don't see her clutching her arm or anything indicating she is injured. Try this: "Man, I'm so tired. I must have ran too much..."

“It’s, magical…”

Pet peeve. Commas are not used for pauses like here. Ellipses do this. (...) Commas have other jobs--plenty of them--and we don't want them egotistic or cocky. :wink:

Set the Bait

As we may very well know, hooks are important. Even for chapters. We want the reader to keep reading the novel, so we need to start each chapter with delicious bait and suck the reader in. I love books that I just can't put down!

Here, we started with dialogue, and that is a very common way to start. It's also very good! I use it quite a bit. xD Readers like to hear their characters talk, and starting the chapter with something the reader loves is golden. However, we then jump straight into the rest of the paragraph, which I think is what we need to fix up. If we put King's line by itself and then go into the next paragraph, it will already be amazing.

“It took precisely seven and a half minutes to get from Town Hall to the church.” King calculated while reading his golden pocket watch.

[New Paragraph]

We’d just set foot on the church’s fertile land and the others were ready to go back to the simple house we called our own. I, however, wasn’t really in the mood for spending time indoors. Going to the house clearly meant I’d have to spend my time with others’ unnecessary company. The others weren’t getting on my nerves or anything like that, it was just that I wanted some time to think, to breath, and to take it all in.

We start with dialogue, and then we move into the setting. This is normally used, and it normally does amazing work for the reader. ^_^

As a side note, I think we used "the others" a bit too much in this paragraph. By the end, it felt repititious. ^^

And another side note, breathe is the action and breath is the noun. :wink:

Show, Don't Tell. Blah, blah, blah...

We all hate this part. Like... everyone here. We hear it so much, we just want it to go away. >_> But! It's true, and it's something we all can work on. By this point, I felt it was too telly:

“I’ll be there. Don’t worry.” I whispered under my hushed breath. My trembling feet were planted deep in the groggy soil of the lush forest known [s]only[/s] as the Mystic Haze. My narrowed eyes pried the deserted area; I knew that I wouldn’t find anyone other than myself in the misty woods.

You used the MC's voice a lot, giving the reader the MC's thoughts. This is good! But we also want to find out the setting for ourselves. For example, instead of just telling us it's winter, describe how the snow looks or feels, the temperature, whe the neighbor kids are doing outside, etc. This paragraph specifically is pretty good until I got to the last sentence. xD That was when I decided it was too telly.

How does she know no one else is in the misty woods?

Being in a trance isn’t fun at the very least. It’s something rather annoying to be exact. When you’re in a trance it’s like you’re alive and you’re aware of what you’re doing, but you have no control over your actions. It’s almost as if someone else is controlling you like a puppet. Almost like your body takes over and overpowers your mind.

Another telly quote. Unless a trance is a specific kind of magic in our world and we haven't explained what it's like, we don't need to explain what a trance is. The dictionary takes care of that, yes? =D

Try to avoid telling the reader the obvious. If the MC's walking through the forest, saying they're sauntering a few sentences later is unneeded. The reader is pretty smart, especially when reading a novel. :wink:

Paragraphs: Big and Small, and Other Formatting

I, personally, am not a fan of big, scary paragraphs. They scare me away. I tried reading a book that would have been amazing, if it didn't have paragraphs that were two/three pages long. T.T I couldn't finish it. That book scarred me. I'm deathly afraid of long paragraphs. XD Here's a large one that I had the urge to skip. Though it wouldn't have been two/three pages, it's long enough to give me the creeps.

I spent an immeasurable amount of time meandering my way through the endless undergrowth of the haze, yet I didn’t complain or whine. I was perfectly content with what was happening for some reason. The forest was so peaceful and still; it seemed almost as if time froze while in the presence of the forest. My suede brown school shoes became muddy and flooded with the soil’s moisture, so they eventually slipped of my frigid toes and I was walking barefoot. The soggy herbage mixed with the damp mud soothed my aching feet and felt nice between my squishing toes. I wandered on; exact location I was headed for unknown. I passed ancient trees with thick roots that traveled in fertile soil the endless forest. A few times I spotted a family of dark blue quails; their puffed chests covered in snow white feathers. I even managed to spot a lively herd of reindeer while passing. Their coats explored every shade of brown, black, and auburn. I watched intently —still walking— as they ran gracefully north, away from me. They trampled the whitening shrubbery below their feet as they ran; their heavy steps sent deep staccato vibrations in the soil that were quickly absorbed by my muddy feet and dissolved into my body.

Remember: New idea, new paragraph. New speaker, new paragraph. Though the latter hasn't happened in this one, the former one does. Talk about the quails in its own paragraph. Her appearance maybe in another. Get a little creative in your paragraphs. Formatting is very helpful when accenting a certain thought. That's why we say, "New idea, new paragraph." We want to know each idea the writer presents us, but there's no way to follow without straining our brains if its hidden in monstrous blocks of texts. Yes? ^_^

And overdoing description isn't good, but Castles took care of that point. ^^

Short paragraphs are excellent for suspense, whether it be action scenes or question/answer or minor scenes that need more attention. Like in poetry. The line breaks can only happen after certain words to create that slight pause of suspense (or rather stanza breaks, depending).

Later on, I notice you use caps. Try to avoid that (and not just because it's YWS). Some novels use caps in their dialogue, and I find myself jumping ahead to read the caps before returning to my original spot. It's distracting, and it can spoil what's coming up if they read ahead. XD Italics are great to use for emphasis, which is what we're doing here with the caps. Italics are epic. We should promote them. 8)

And we overuse the exclamation point. Try reading them aloud with those exclamation points. Example:

Zomg!!!!! is screaming.

Zomg! is saying it loudly. Sometimes used for emphasis, but it really depends on the context.

Zomg... is groaning or letting it fade into nothingness.

Zomg. is saying it bluntly.

ZOMG!!!! is the voice gone hoarse. xD

Most of the time, exclamation points are hardly used. When I write, I try to avoid the exclamation point. Can I not use it and the meaning still hold the same? If not, can I try to avoid the exclamation point? Most of the time, yes. ^_^

Overall Opinion

This sounds like a great novel! I'm a fantasy nerd, so I rather liked this! Just the points above I mentioned we could probably touch on: Dialogue, formatting, introduction, and show/telling. If you have other questions, feel free to find me! You know how. ^^ Anything else you need critiqued, I'll be sure to do so. Just call me. ^_^

Keep writing!

Jabber, the One and Only!
Last edited by JabberHut on Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I make my own policies.

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:53 pm
Ducati says...

Hi, I've been summoned here to review for you. It's a bit long for a line by line, but I will point a few off sounding sentences.

Valentina’s silvery voice sang as she stared at me with dubious concern.

Now, just what is wrong with this sentence? First off, I can't imagine how a silvery voice sounds. Secondly, what she is saying hardly sounds like something she would say in a sing-song voice. Dubious concern doesn't sound right, it's like you are saying that she is dubious, that her concern is not real. Which I don't think you meant. Either way you confused me.

Mystic Haze… I wonder why they named something so creepy… I thought before entering the cryptic foliage

Two ellipses (or however you spell it) in one sentece seems pretty weird. Plus I wonder why they named somehting so creepy sounds like I wonder why the creepy thing was actually named. Cryptic foliage: just no.

So there are other similar sentences, just read them back and see if there isn't a way of making them smoother and more logical.

Description:
You use a little too much. Okay, so I'm a total under describer, but it's one thinig to have lots of good, rich, interesting description and another if you are describing the same thing but over and over again, sounding like an overused thesaurus.

Character: We don't know much about her, but the thoughts in her head start off rather childish and become more bearable towards the end. Maybe she's grown as a person :lol: We don't really care about what is happening straight off, maybe the begining needs some work on her past and that.

Plot: It seemed rather contrived to me. The way the character just happened to go the forest, just accepted falling in a trance and ended up in this mystical place. Give it some suspense, to make up for lack of things happening.

Overall: Wasn't really my thing, but I could see other people liking it. If you tighten it up it could have potential.
When you look at your life, in a strange new room, maybe drowning soon, is this the start of it all?

922 Reviews

Reviews: 922
Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:48 am
GryphonFledgling says...

Well, hello again! Of course I remember you and I am more than happy to leave you a review!

It seems as though everyone else has nitpicked this quite a bit, so I won't bother pointing anything out beyond this one instance:

A REALLY weird experience.

Call it a stylistic thing on my part, but I would really recommend changing the all caps to italics for emphasis. It just looks so much more elegant.

'K, now, obviously I haven't read the other parts of the story yet, so there may be some things I don't quite understand due to not having read explanations or gotten to know the character all that well. So bear with me if I say something stupid that is explained in your story, but I wouldn't have known.

I liked it so far. I'll admit that I liked the beginning a bit more, what with the character interactions and I really wanted more of that. (Of course, there is more in the rest of the story, but I am speaking just from this chapter.) I found the trance a bit confusing, since I'm not really sure what triggered it. The forest? What is it that makes her tick and fall into the trance? (It is all rather frustrating, my not knowing what else happened before this story.)

Jade's character was interesting so far. I liked her little takes on what was going on with her and the world. Very nice.

Overall, I give you a thumbs up. You have a great writing style and the idea is intriguing. I just wish I could read the rest of it. *hint hint* It would probably help in my understanding of the story, and would help in telling you about characterization in specific chapters or actions, etc.

But anyway, very nice. I look forward to reading more from you! Keep up the great work!

~GryphonFledgling
I am reminded of the babe by you.

842 Reviews

Reviews: 842
Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:35 pm
ashleylee says...

Hey, Angels-Symphony :D I’m not sure if this is the one you wanted me to read because it says Chapter 22 so I’m slightly confused but I hope I’m right :?

“It took precisely seven and a half minutes to get from Town Hall to the church.” King calculated while reading his golden pocket watch.

To start out, when you write dialogue, there is a certain rule to it. I’m horrible at explaining it so I’ll just give you an example :wink: :

“Hello, darling, how are you?” the man asked his wife, pressing his lips softly to hers.
“I’m fine. Tired but fine, George,” the wife answered, throwing her purse and keys onto the counter.

All right, to point out a few things, first, there is a comma after “George” in the second sentence and the word after him is in lowercase. You have to apply this to everything. Unless it is a name or “I”, use lowercase. Next, you must always have a comma before a name in dialogue if you are addressing them.

Now, applying these rules to your sentence above, this is how it should look:

“It took precisely seven and a half minutes to get from Town Hall to the church,” King calculated while reading his golden pocket watch.

You must have that comma instead of a period after “church” for it to work If you have any further questions on this or just don’t understand (I would totally understand if you didn’t. I’m horrible at explaining this, like I said [= ), just PM me or maybe read someone else’s work and that might help.

“Are you okay Jade? You look a little down.” Valentina’s silvery voice sang as she stared at me with dubious concern.

Again, following the rules about dialogue, you should have a comma before “Jade” and a comma after “down” instead of a period.

Valentina looked at me as if she knew better; she was not a fool.

This is kind of an awkward sentence. Maybe try: Valentina wasn’t a fool and looked at me as if she knew better.

He’s usually, more protective and cautious.

No need for the comma after “usually”

“Be back by supper, Jade!” The voice cried.

Lowercase “t” in “the” here.

“I’ll be there. Don’t worry.” I whispered under my hushed breath.

Comma instead of a period after “worry”

I’m not sure if you need this huge explanation on being in a trance… :? On one hand, it flows well with the following paragraph, yet I don’t think you need such a huge paragraph to explain this. My advice: just cut down in it, keep it short and sweet and I think you’ll do fine =)

So there I was sauntering through the misty vegetation, my ability to function temporarily suspended with my mind efficient and capably aware of my paranormal actions. I didn’t fight the trance; I knew I’d lose to the influential force hypnotizing my body.

Whoa, these two sentences are chock full with carbs. My advice: cut back. You don’t need all these large overly intimidating words to describe that she was aware of the trance but decided not to fight it because she would lose anyway.

I also knew that if I escaped the trance I was in (which was hardly likely), I’d still be mesmerized by the celestial forest.

Add the “the” where I did above.

So I kept my quivering mouth shut and mused as I let the hypnotic trance take over.

Yes, you tried to explain this thought to us but I still don’t totally understand why she let the trance overtake her. Instead of using big words, sum it up for us in your character’s voice, you know?

The soggy herbage mixed with the damp mud soothed my aching feet and felt nice between my squishing toes.

I don’t know if I exactly favor “squishing” as an adj. to describe “toes” I would try to find something other than that to describe them.

I passed ancient trees with thick roots that traveled in fertile soil the endless forest.

Awkward sentence. Maybe try: I passed ancient trees with thick roots that traveled through the fertile soil blanketing the endless forest. or something like that. ^_^

Okay, well this is a weird experience. A REALLY weird experience. Hypnotic trances and running like a gazelle. And now look! I’m in some sort of vast meadow surrounded by the mighty Elysia Mountains. HA! Wait a minute!

I don’t like the all-cad words. They just ruin the beautiful story you are weaving. If you want to ephasize a point, use italics. They make a much better impact anyway. =)
Also, her thoughts are kind of all over the place. Slow it down and concentrate on what you want your MC to get across to the reader. Otherwise, all that you say is mumbled.

My fancies were interrupted by the mesmerizing clearing. I had to pause my mind to take in the illustrious meadow.

Combine these two sentences since they are fairly the same. Maybe like: My fancies were interrupted by the mesmerizing clearing, making me pause mid-stride and take in the illustrious clearing.

When I reached the direct center of the meadow, my trance stationed my wintry body into the land. And there I stood, in the center of sheer beauty belonging to the generous Mother Nature. As I stood tall and courteously in the center, the forces of nature calmed themselves and stroked my senses. The intense beams of the powerful sun warmed the surface of my colorless skin and entered my frozen being. The serene water of nearby stream brushed along my calves as it flooded past me. The compelling earth placed before me was overwhelming to my wide eyes and smelled of fresh flowers and peppermint in a perfectly mixed solution. Last for my senses was the graceful wind. The whispering wind brushed my face and danced along with the earth. As the wind blew through the tall grass, the flexible grass followed the wind’s lead and swayed along with the wind‘s pattern.

I really don’t understand what is happening here. All I got was that Mother Nature was displaying to her the elements: land, water, and wind. Really work on tweaking this and making it clear. Also, you can combine sentences that are fairly similar so you don’t slow down the flow by overdoing things.

To hear Nature’s harmony, all you have to do is slow down and listen. That’s all it takes. You cannot find it by looking with your eyes; you find it by looking with your heart and by letting nature take control. Just relax and have a little faith. That’s all you must do.

Throughout your whole piece, you never once address the reader, but now, suddenly, you do. :? I’m not sure that quite works… it breaks up the flow. Try to rephrase this as something your MC is just realizing herself.

~ ~ ~ ~

Well, I must say, you know what you are doing :wink: Your descriptions are marvelous and everything you wrote was like a painted picture. But there are some things that I caught that you might want to watch out for in the future:

1) Sometimes I noticed that you get so caught up in the descriptions that you forget about moving the plot forward. Almost a full page was devoted to the harmony of Nature and such. Really work on moving the plot forward while still keeping those wonderful descriptions of yours =]

2) When I read that part about her seeing her future self in the pool and then her parents, Harry Potter instantly entered my thoughts. I’m not sure if you have read that series or not but they have a scene almost like that but it’s with a mirror. Just be careful not to use other author’s specific ideas.

3) All right, to the running part, I’m still baffled. Isn’t she like freaked or completely out of her mind when she is running that fast? Isn’t she the least bit worried? I don’t think you included enough of her thoughts on that subject. You need to really capture her thoughts and convey them to the reader.

4) Plot line. This is the biggest thing at the moment. Must I say, I was intrigued with it all. It thought you did great… but the plot, I’m still not sure on. What is the main purpose of this piece? What are you trying to tell the reader? What are you trying to get out of this story? These are the questions you must ask yourself as you write. They may help you with some of the other things I mentioned above.

Well, other than those things, I’m almost positive you know where you want to go with this. It’s pretty obvious in the commanding way you write (which is a wonderful thing). Just make sure you make sure that the reader knows what you are talking about :wink:

If you have any further questions or need any other help with this, let me know.
"Woe to the man whose heart has not learned while young to hope, to love—and to put his trust in life."
~ Joseph Conrad

"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."
~ Red Auerbach

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:09 pm
Rosendorn says...

I was a little late in reviewing this it seems. Ah well. Since you've already been chewed out, I'll just do an overall:

Your description is nice but very repetitive. I spotted the word "wind" about ten times in one paragraph. Get a thesaurus and jazz that up.

You're language flirts between modern and flowery. I don't mind flowery (you've done it relatively well, except for the note above) but I highly dislike modern language in a story's prose. It pulls me right out.

Put thoughts in italics. If you've done that in your original document, great, but if not, do so. It makes the transition between prose and thoughts (which by nature are more modern) much easier.

Cut the amount of explaining you do in spoken language. No person talks like so: "I knew I couldn't handle it, I'm not superhuman." Put that in the first-person prose.

The fact that I was not lost and this is chapter 22 could pose a problem. Everything in your book should contribute to the plot, and since no forwarding was needed for this, it doesn't seem integral to the plot. I was slightly confused (Where are they, what's happened, that sort of thing) but I didn't really need those questions answered to read this. Just a note.

And finally, I must say the show, don't tell stuff has improved greatly since chapters 1-4. I will say what the problem with that was again: You need to expand your monologues to show scenes. This, however, was pretty good.

You might want to post this in Advanced Critiques since I believe it's over 5,000 words. When you post there you put in your whole novel (by uploading the document) and then you get comments on everything.

Hope I helped! Sorry for the wait!
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do.
— Leonardo da Vinci