z

Young Writers Society

My Dearest Madelyn

143 Reviews

Reviews: 143
Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:36 am
anti-pop says...

How cool! This got first place in CastlesInTheSky's Imagine Contest! I'm so happy. :D Thank you everyone for the great reviews. They've helped so much!

“Get out.”

“What?”

“You heard me. Get out.”

“Maddie, please—”

“Don’t."

John tried to open the door further. He had just returned home from a long business trip in Philadelphia, and he could hardly wait to see his girl. Well, he had wanted to see her. The moment he walked in the door, he was greeted by the lovely but livid figure of his girlfriend, Madelyn. Her blond tresses were flowing freely over her shoulders, and she was even wearing her most attractive dress.

“Maddie, I just—”

“Get out!” she threw his suitcase at him as he tried to coax his way back into the room.

He exhaled sharply as the suitcase hit him in the chest. His knees buckled under its weight. Staggering, John managed to regain his balance only to have another bag launched at him. This one caused him to drop the suitcase, bursting open and spilling its contents all over the apartment floor.

He groaned.

“Maddie, let’s not—”

“All you ever do is work, John! Work, work, work!” she yelled, her voice cracking on the last ‘work’. “I never get to see you! And when you finally get back, what happens? You give your secretary an engagement ring!” Her lower lip trembled as her voice increased in volume.

John stopped. She had seen him?

He closed his eyes and shook his head. No, no, no! This wasn’t supposed to happen!

“No! Maddie, you don’t understand. It was just—”

“Just what, John?”She interjected, tears sprouting in her eyes. “I thought you loved me, John. Only me.”

“I love you more than anything, Maddie.”

“But how can I know that?” Her voice held every ounce of her rage and sadness. “You told me that before, John. And I was stupid enough to believe it.” She closed her eyes as tears flowed down her pink cheeks.

John took a few hesitant steps over to her and sighed. This wasn’t supposed to happen.

“Maddie. Please, just look me in the eye,” he placed his hands on her shoulders.

She shrugged them off.

“Don’t touch me.”

John’s eyes widened for a moment, then fixed their gaze onto the floor. He turned, gathered up all of his bags and walked out of the apartment. He couldn’t bring himself to turn his head to look back at her as he shut the door, her quiet sobs ringing in his ears.

Madelyn just stood in the middle of the room, arms wrapped tightly to her body in attempt to anchor herself while the rest of her felt like caving in.

John was never much of a romantic. He loved Madelyn with all of his heart, but he wasn’t one to put it into words. As he sat on the bed in his apartment, head in his hands, he tried to make sense of what had just happened.

The plane had arrived much sooner than expected, and during most of the flight he had been contemplating something of utter importance. Once he got off of this plane, he was prepared to change his life. He was going to live the way he wanted to, not the way he was supposed to.

After calling a taxi, he decided to head over to the mall. Upon arrival, he called the only other woman who lived close enough by (and who wouldn’t mind being called so late in the evening). His secretary, Cheryl, arrived a few minutes later and he explained his new ideas to her. She agreed wholeheartedly and offered to give him a ride home after they were finished at the mall.

It was difficult for John to find what Madelyn might like, but Cheryl helped immensely. He couldn’t have done it without her, really. It was a shame that the moment he asked for her opinion in the jewelry department, he didn’t see a young woman quite a few display cases down gasp and leave suddenly. She had just been to the beauty salon so she would look nice when her lover arrived later from a business trip.

When Cheryl dropped John off at Madelyn's apartment complex, she gave him a small hug and a heartfelt goodbye. She told him how happy she was for him, and how she would see him around. John made his way up to Madelyn's apartment, eager to see the woman who held his heart.

But something went wrong.

He straightened his back and rubbed his eyes, his head throbbing. A few minutes passed when his gaze fell upon a blank sheet of paper lying on his bedside table. He sighed and picked it up, fishing through his suitcase for a pen. If this was what he had to do, he would.

All for Madelyn. He couldn’t lose her. Not now.

The postman hated his job. He hated it with an absolute, indescribable, fiery passion that could only be compared to the flames of Hell. Because of this, he treated everyone who dared to associate themselves with him like the dirt beneath his shoes. Many often wondered why on earth someone like him continued his occupation, but his answer, if anyone bothered to ask, was always because he "just couldn't quit".

It was December 10th, 2008. A cold day to be out delivering mail to those who, in his opinion, were "too lazy to get it themselves". The air was rather foggy as it often was come winter, and the postman could see his breath stream from his mouth in small puffs. He wrapped his scarf around his neck once more and adjusted his earmuffs.

The only thing that kept him going that evening was the promise of going home to see his wife. He didn’t like her all that much, but boy, could she cook. Tonight would probably be pork chops, and the old postman couldn’t wait. This blasted cold weather always made his head pound and his stomach ache for some good hot food. But he still had quite a way to go before he could head back home.

He groaned and began making his way down the streets when he came across a street vendor selling roasted peanuts. Stomach rumbling, he crossed the street towards the vendor. He was just a step away from the other side of the road when a bright red Camry came to a screeching halt no less than an inch from the man.

Because the driver of the vehicle had managed to successfully avoid ending the life of the city's beloved postman, he jumped out of his car and began to shake his fist at the jay-walking perpetrator.

Meanwhile, the postman had attempted to jump out of the way, but failed and landed in strange position on the curb. His bag had spilled and letters flew everywhere. Bills, magazines, invitations; all were scattered across the curbside. The mail carrier scurried up and managed to snatch up all but one. It had landed between the grates of a gutter, and the postman decided that it was too filthy for him to pick up.

He shrugged, figuring it was better off in the gutter.

After John left, Madelyn had cried the remainder of the evening. She even cried herself to sleep while wondering what had gone wrong. What had she done that had driven John away from her? Why did it have to happen?

The next day she stayed in her apartment and waited. She sat by her phone, anticipating a call. For something. For anything. For a shred of hope that things were going to be the way they were, and John would love her once again.

Night had begun to fall when Madelyn made her decision. If he really loved her, he would make the first attempt to speak with her. If not, then he really did love Cheryl, and Madelyn wouldn’t get in the way. She would let them be happy together and let them love one another, just as she had loved John.

She would wait for John.

Madelyn never heard from him again.

At a small French restaurant across the town sat a man. He occupied a single seat at a table meant for two. The restaurant would be closing in less than an hour, and he was the only customer there. He arrived at 5:00 pm and had been there for almost four hours now. Much to the annoyance of the manager, he hadn’t eaten a thing. For the first three hours he had checked his watch several times a minute, his eyes straining as if hoping he was reading the hands wrong.

For the past half hour he had taken up staring in silence at the empty seat across from him. A young waiter had tried and failed many times to offer him something to drink, but the man just refused with a shake of his head. Once closing time came around, the waiter approached the man once more, feeling a strong sense of sympathy for him.

“I’m sorry, sir. It’s closing time.”

The man said nothing, but kept his head in his hands.

The waiter leaned forward.

“Sir..?”

The man shook, and several wet drops slipped through his hands and onto the clean tablecloth. Lifting his head, he opened his right hand. The ring he had been clutching had left distinct marks on the inside of his palm. The man turned his hand downward and allowed the small ring to drop onto the table.

He left without a word.

He had to get some rest. He had to go back to his job in the morning. The job he had been going to quit.

Just to be with her.

“Mommy, what’s this?”

A woman who looked to be in her thirties replied, “What's what, sweetie?”

The child held up a crumpled piece of paper from the side of the street. It was ripped, dirty, soggy, and looked as if it had even been run over a few times.

“Ryan! Put that down! That’s disgusting!” she quickly swatted the paper out of the boy’s chubby hands and thrust a small green umbrella at him. “Here, it’s starting to sprinkle. Hold this.”

The boy proudly held up his umbrella as the two began to walk back down the city streets towards home.

The crumpled paper fell back into the gutter where the child had found it. True, the paper was dirty. There was mud and water, rips and tears, and even tire marks. And it was the most beautifully sad thing in the world. Through the ink smudges and the dirt one could see written:

My Dearest Madelyn,

Please, hear me out.

You know I love you more than life itself – you have to. Who else but you would stay with someone who’s gone for months on end? I don’t know, and probably will never know why you always insisted that you’d be right here when I got back. Sometimes the only thing that would ease the pain of not having you was the thought of being with you again. The only thing that kept me from feeling broken was the assurance you gave me every single night when you called— only to tell me that you were still there.

Madelyn, darling, what you saw yesterday was a mistake. I was not cheating on you, nor would I ever. Cheryl was helping me shop for you. You have to understand that I don’t know the first thing about shopping, let alone what women like. I didn’t want to tell you because…well, here. I’ll show you.

Maddie, if you still love me and will still hold me in your heart, then I want you to meet me.

Tomorrow, December 11th at 5:00 pm, at the Château Fantaisie.

I will wait for you all night if I must, but if you decide not to come, then I understand. I will never deserve someone as breathtakingly ideal as you, Maddie. I never have. I knew that God had smiled upon me the day that we met. But I still cannot understand why you wanted me. You deserve so much better, Maddie. Someone who will always be by your side. Someone who will never leave you. I want to say I’m so sorry I’ve never been able to live up to that.

If you can find it in your heart to forgive me, I will see you tomorrow night.
If you find that my love isn’t satisfactory, then you don’t have to show up. If I leave for home tomorrow night without you back in my arms, I will never burden you again. I will keep my things at my apartment, and I will not bother you with calls or letters. If we should ever meet again after that, it will be as mere acquaintances.

I love you, Maddie.

And if this is it, farewell.

John
Last edited by anti-pop on Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:27 pm, edited 16 times in total.

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:26 pm
mnesomeye says...

Oh, the ANGUISH! *cries* This was beautiful - drop-dead, fantastically, amazingly beautiful. However, as with every beautiful piece, there comes the itch to make it better - *whips out a pastel pink, glass nibbed pen* - and thus, I shall be your critiquer for today.

If it sounds like I'm being picky... I am. But the better the literature, the worse (i.e. more selective) I get. ;)

Let's begin, shall we?

“Just what, John?”She interjected, tears sprouting in her eyes. “I thought you loved me, John. Only me,”

“I love you –only you— more than anything, Maddie,”

Here, both of the dialogues end in commas, not full stops. Switch 'em around and this first 'section' of your story can be officially classified as perfect.

Nothing wrong with the second section.

The mail carrier

This isn't a mistake, so don't feel bad. Where do you live? (I don't own a closet, so I know you must be lying. ;) ). 'Cause, see, down here in the bonny UK we call 'mail carriers' post men. I thought that's what they got called universally... mail carrier sounds so... foreign! *laughs*

that could only be compared to the flames of Hell

This, in my opinion, IS a mistake. :P The flames of hell are used to describe everything from explosions to intense stares. Try to steer clear of the norm - your readers will thank you.

but his answer (if anyone bothered to ask) was always because he ‘just can’t’.

And this, in my opinion... is my own stupidity. I don't understand his response, so I can't say anythin'. o_O

A cold day to be out delivering mail to those who were too lazy to go to the post office themselves.

Another culture difference. You're allowed to go to the post office and COLLECT MAIL? I thought that they gave it to you because they had to, not because people wouldn't get up and get it!
However, with the exclusion of this guy, most post men I know are probably just happy that they have a job in the light of all this credit crunch Stuff. *shrugs*

But he still had quite a way[s]s[/s] to go before he could head back home.

I think it's supposed to be 'quite a way', sans extra 's'.

He crossed the street towards the vendor a little too early and was nearly hit by a Camry.

Considering the fuss made afterwards, I feel that this line is sort of... lacking drama. If that's the effect you were going after, then fine, but nearly getting hit by a car is quite an event. Maybe elaborate on this point a little more?

He shrugged, figuring that the letter he left behind was better off in the gutter.

Someone find me a AK-47 so I can kill this guy?

Simple - but very, very effective.

For the first few hours he had checked his watch several times a minute, his eyes straining as if hoping he was reading the hands wrong.

This was when I began crying. I've never felt so much compassion for a man...

Lifting his head, he opened his right hand. The ring he had been clutching had left distinct marks on the inside of his palm. The man simply turned his hand downward, and allowed the small ring to drop onto the table.

... and then I broke down ...

My Dearest Madelyn,

... and then I went hysterical ...

I love you, Maddie.

And if this is it, farewell.

John

... and now, I am at a loss for words.

This is the most beautiful thing I've read on this site. I'm sorry that 'beautiful' is such a clichéd, word, but it is. And I'm sorry that I find no other words to describe it.

Gold star, man.
~ Mnes x

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:36 pm
Ducati says...

I loved it, but I'm a bit confused. If he never heard from her again, why where they talking at the start? I didn't undertand where tha bit was in the timeline of the story. I thought the dialogue was excellent, but it seems a bit..old fashioned? The story takes place in 2008, which I didn't think it did until you said that. The story is a short story, and it is perfect as such. Are you going to continue it? I don't usually read romantic fiction, but I enjoyed this. Keep writing!

189 Reviews

Reviews: 189
Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:59 pm
vox nihili says...

Woow. I was kind of confused in the middle, but at the end, wow. Such a bang. You really have a knack for the tear-drop type of tragic irony. Please, I beg for more! I can just see his fallen face, the faraway flicker of sadness in Madelyn's eyes. Please write more!

143 Reviews

Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:35 am
anti-pop says...

Thank you all so much for the reviews! *hugs you all*

*hands mnesomeye a hankie* :D
Yes, the mail carrier/postman/whatever scene wasn't vital, but I needed it to get the letter lost and to kind of break up the drama a bit.

This will probably remain a solo piece, mainly because I just liked the way it ended.
Thanks again, guys ;)

*anti-pop
...Bitter cold, it grows
changing holds
cynicism the new norm...

-Libretto

252 Reviews

Reviews: 252
Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:35 am
Insomnia says...

Hey, pop. :D You posted on my thread, so I'm here. I liked this piece a lot. It was entertaining, and your characters seemed realistic with the occasional exception. I have some things to comment on, though.

Well, he had wanted to see her.

The emphasis seems a little odd in this sentence. Should it be on "had"? I'm not sure, but as it is, it's rather strange.

Her dark blond tresses were flowing freely over her shoulders, just like he liked

Ick. Repetition of "like(d)" jars.

The moment he walked in the door he was greeted by the lovely but livid figure of his girlfriend, Madelyn. Her dark blond tresses were flowing freely over her shoulders,

the large black suitcase hit him squarely in the chest. His knees buckled under its weight and he almost fell backwards. Staggering slightly

I feel as if I give a lecture on this every time I come across a piece, but you need to watch your adverbs. You tend to use them a few times in quick succession. Try to cut out at least half of them, as they are unnecessary. They're just a sign of telling, and if your description is good enough, you shouldn't need any. Read through and see how well you understand the story without them. I won't point them out again, because I feel as if that's what most of my crits these days are comprised of.

“All you ever do is work, John! Work, work, work, work, work!” she yelled, her voice cracking on the last ‘work’. “I never get to see you, John! And when you finally get back, what happens? You give your secretary an engagement ring!” her lower lip trembled as her voice increased in volume.

You repeat the name here. Try to get rid of one, if not both. People tend not to say each other's names in actual conversation. This is something I'm fixing in one of my pieces right now. I do it all the time. :)

“I love you –only you— more than anything, Maddie.”

She just said "only you" in her dialogue. Get rid of this one.

her voice was almost back to its normal level now,

Capital for "her."

And I was stupid enough to believe it then,”

Get rid of "then." It disrupts the flow.

John’s eyes widened for a moment, then fixed their gaze onto the floor. He turned, not knowing what else to do. He gathered up his bags and walked out of the apartment. He couldn’t bring himself to turn his head to look back at her as he shut the door; her quiet sobs ringing in his ears.

Change your sentence beginnings around a bit here. They're a bit repetitive right now: "John, He, He, He."

John was never much of a romantic. He loved Madelyn with all of his heart, yes, but he wasn’t one to really put it into words. As he sat on the bed in his seldom-used apartment, head in his hands, he tried to make sense of what had just happened.

The "yes" kind of disrupts the tone here. It tends to be formal for the most part, but this is a bit strange. Cut "yes." You have a lot of words that could be cut to make it flow better, and this goes for the whole piece. If you're alone one day, try reading it out and seeing if any of the sentences sound drawn out. Here, you could cut "yes" (awkward), "really" (adverb) and seldom-used (telling). Remember to check for any unnecessary or redundant words.

The flight had arrived much sooner than expected, and during the entire flight he had been contemplating something of utter importance. Once he got off of this flight,

You use "flight" three times in two sentences here.

It was difficult for John to find what Madelyn might like, and Cheryl helped immensely.

"And" should be "but." Despite him not knowing what she wanted, Cheryl was able to help. xD

It was a shame that the moment he asked for her opinion in the jewelry department he didn’t see a certain young woman quite a few display cases down gasp and leave suddenly.

"Certain" could be cut.

She had just been to the beauty salon so that she would look nice when her fiancé arrived later from a business trip.

Cut "that." It isn't needed in most cases.

she gave him a small hug and gave a heartfelt goodbye

Repetition of "gave." Cut the second one.

If this is what he had to do

You change tense here. Change "is" to "was."

Many often wondered why on earth someone like his continued his occupation, but his answer (if anyone bothered to ask) was always because he "didn't feel like it".

That confuses me. He continues his occupation because he "didn't feel like it"? I'm not sure if it makes sense. Also, get rid of the brackets and replace them with commas. They're an amateurish thing to use.

It was December 10th, 2008. A cold day to be out delivering mail to those who, in his opinion, were "too lazy to get it themselves".

Now the guy sounds really inconsistent. He stays at the job, but he thinks that people should be getting the mail themselves?

He didn’t really like her all that much, but boy, could she cook.

xD Awesome sentence. I'll even forgive the adverb. ;)

when a bright red Camry came to a screeching halt; no less than an inch from the poor man.

I don't think the semi-colon is necessary.

Because the driver of the vehicle had managed to successfully avoid ending the life of the city's beloved postman, he jumped out of his car and began to shake his fist at the jay-walking perpetrator.

I don't like this sentence. The wording is off somehow. Also, "beloved"? :P

He shrugged, figuring that the letter he left behind was better off in the gutter.

Cut "he left behind." Your reader knows which letter you're referring to.

For a little shred of hope

Cut "little."

and John would love only her once again.
If he really loved only her,

Again, you repeat "only" a lot. Go through and cut most of them.

He arrived at exactly 5:00 pm and had been there for almost three hours now.
For the first few hours he had checked his watch several times a minute

Inconsistent. Has he been in there a few hours or not?

And then he left without a word.

Cut "and then." I like the nature of this piece, by the way. I've always enjoyed reading pieces that use multiple narrators to tell parts of the same story, but you do it very well.

A woman who looked to be in her thirties replied, “What is what, sweetie?”

She sounds stilted. Change "what is" to "what's," otherwise it's almost robotic. XD

It was ripped, dirty, soggy, and looked as if it had even been run over a few times.
Through the ink smudges and the dirt one could see written:

Are you sure about that? I expect that if something was ripped, dirty, soggy and had been run over, the words would be impossible to read. Try toning down its damage to a more believable level.

Well, that was depressing. It's an amazing piece in terms of narrative structure, which is its strongest points. You've managed to string together the accounts of a number of people well (although the postman needs a little more work, I believe) to create a story that is still coherent, and better, tragic. It was on a small scale, but you managed to do this very well.

The characters weren't quite as fleshed out as they could have been, but that's the sacrifice that must be made for this sort of piece. You have a limited amount of time to spend with each character, and you gave them as much depth as you could without rambling, I expect. Good job with that.

Overall, it was a very good piece. You get a star, I think. :) Nice job for pulling off something that could have been so difficult.

The crit ended up a lot longer than I expected. I hope at least some of it will help you with your competition. :)

672 Reviews

Reviews: 672
Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:26 pm
Squall says...

Hey again anti-pop.

Staggering slightly, John managed to regain his balance only to have another bag launched at him. This one caused him to drop the suitcase; bursting open and spilling its contents all over the apartment floor.

Are you able to integrate the last sentence in this quotation box with that of the previous sentence? It sounds a bit awkward at the moment.

The flight had arrived much sooner than expected, and during the entire flight he had been contemplating something of utter importance.

Nix the second "flight", replace it with another word to avoid repetition. And just a little nit pick, but I find it a bit unrealistic that John would be contemplating the situation for entire duration. He's bound to be doing more than just that, he's human after all.

Once he got off of this flight, he was prepared to change his life.

What are the motivations behind this decision? What purpose/goal does John hope to achieve by doing this? Elaborate, do not give a vague statement.

His secretary, Cheryl, arrived a few minutes later and he explained his new ideas to her.

Perhaps show the discussion between them?

It was a shame that the moment he asked for her opinion in the jewelry department he didn’t see a certain young woman quite a few display cases down gasp and leave suddenly.

This is rather clumsily worded. Consider rephrasing.

What do you mean?

Why is the postman so beloved in the city though? I find it very hard to comprehend. And why does this postman get away Scott free when it's actually his fault? Care to explain?

After John left, Madelyn had cried the remainder of the evening. She even cried herself to sleep while wondering what had gone wrong. What had she done that had driven John away from her? Why did it have to happen?

Wait wait, one minute, Madelyn is annoyed that John is cheating on her, the next minute she's longing for her return? There doesn't seem to be a reason for the change, it's like it randomly happened.

Overall impressions:

I felt that this piece was kind of rushed and lacked depth. Allow me to explain. Your first part of the piece was kind of bland. This is because it doesn't bring anything new to the table in terms of the ideas of relationships and love. A relationship falls apart because one of the couples suspects that he/she is being cheated on. Heck, that's like a very common idea in romance literature and in second-rated soap operas. You could had presented the idea in a more subtle way so that there's room for more insight on the idea, but no, you have to blatantly present it through an argument. This leaves very little for the audience to search for since everything that's happening is shoved right in their face.

I would had given you a benefit of a doubt on this if you had at least made an attempt to characterize your characters, but sadly, we know very little about them. What are their personalities, opinions and values? How do these factors play out in their relationship? Why were they in a relationship in the first place? Give more details about them and their relationship. Right now, we know very little about them so we don't really see the reason as to why we should sympathize them.

The pace of the second part was just too quick. It's like you were trying to squeeze a large time-frame into only like 200 words just so that it seems like a short story. A consequence however is that you are unable to elaborate on various points during the 2nd part to give the story a more authentic feel. For example, what did they say during the phone call? You could had shown more of the characters' motives, personality and how their friendship worked so that we could have a better understanding of them as a character and hence be able to care for them. The hug near the end of the second part felt hollow since we are unable to see or understand their friendship.

But the ending...it just screams deus ex machina. Deus ex machina is basically a literacy device used to describe an unexpected or improbable event, character or device that is suddenly trust into a story, solving problems, or revealing more of the plot. What are the chances of a person finding a letter by his/her lover that had fallen out of a postman's bag like several years ago? Very highly likely. To have that ending in your piece makes your story even more unrealistic as a result and makes it even more forced. In future attempts at a romance piece, please eliminate all parts that screams deus ex machina as it just detracts from the credibility of your work.

One last thing I would like to mention: Why doesn't John tell Madelyn straight up as to what happened? If John really loved Madelyn, then he would had at least made a strong attempt to convince her. But no, John decides to bring himself years of unnecessary heart ache and pain, even though he was innocent. It seemed as though you decided to make John not tell just to have your overly melodramatic and unrealistic ending. Just something for you to think about.

I must admit though that your grammar skills are very good and your diction is well controlled, but the execution of this piece closely reminds me of the small organic lumps that are often left behind by a male cow. Come on, I know you can do better than this.

I hope my critique has helped and I wish you the best of luck anti-pop.

Andy.
"To the edge of the universe and back. Endure and survive."

143 Reviews

Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:56 pm
anti-pop says...

Thank you both Insomnia and Andy so very much for the reviews!
I really appreciate all that you guys pointed out. I'm so glad you both took the time to read this!
And now I know what 'deus ex machina' means. :D
The only thing though, is that the letter was only supposed to be a few days old, not years. I found it pretty obvious a piece of paper wouldn't be able to survive years under those conditions. But I guess if the audience felt like that was Madelyn at the end, I did something very wrong, because it was just supposed to be some random woman.
Thanks for pointing that out, Squall.

*anti-pop
...Bitter cold, it grows
changing holds
cynicism the new norm...

-Libretto

183 Reviews

Reviews: 183
Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:59 am
LoveableLittleSock says...

Damn you. This will be difficult for me to tear apart. I really liked this!
But don't expect me to go easy on you ;]
I just finished critiquing another person's story, so I won't have time for this one right now. I just wanted to say that I have your request and I'm aching to get my hands on this one. I promise you I will soon enough.
Sorry if your disappointed =] But it's late, and I'm tired.
Great job, though. Very nicely written. I can see a lot of people have been her before me, as well, so I don't know if I'm going to repeat anything or not. *narrows eyes* Andy.
G'night!

~*Sara*~
Got YWS?

280 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 280
Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:46 am
Nutty says...

“Don’t,” she warned.

The rest of it is un-labeled, and I actually quite like it that way. The labeling on this looks a little out of place.

Her dark blond tresses

Blonde tresses aren't usually dark. Blonde is, typically, a fair hair colour.

Now, with the first section, I think John gave up too easily. If he really was that upset about it, and he knew it was a misunderstanding, it would be more realistic if he tried harder to explain himself. You don't have to let him win, she may not believe him, but as it is he doesn't really seem to be emotionally hurt at the time at all.
After calling a taxi, he decided to head over to the mall and prepare for step one of his new life. Upon arrival, he called the only other woman who lived close enough

You have the 'upon arrival' bit after he calls a taxi? He would arrive first, no? ;)

when her fiancé arrived later from a business trip.

Why would he be buying an engagement ring if they are already engaged?

We know, you've been telling us, so this is rather redundant.
from the poor man.

This is pure telling. You're telling us we should pity him by calling him a 'poor man'. Instead, make us pity him.

The story itself is sweet (probably not the best word but I couldn't think of a better one) but it has been used many many times before. It's an old concept, and many romantic movies and stories follow this same pattern. What you need to do is make this somehow unique, to bring it above the rest of these stories. While it is a perfectly fine story now, you could make it really stand out by adding new ideas and concepts.

The thing that bothered me is that they gave up too easily. Most people would be more insistent, and wouldn't be able to just 'leave it be' like these two have.
And I don't get why he was so negative, apart from working a lot, and a misunderstanding, there was nothing that was a real problem. Why would you decide to not try and explain, and why wouldn't she have forgiven him once he got his story across? It seems unlikely that he would decide to leave her alone when she didn't turn up because he would have wondered why she didn't forgive him.

Put yourself in his shoes- wouldn't you be desperate to get her back? Very few people would have the restraint to not at least call.

That said, this is well written, and I like your writing style. I would just encourage you to spend more time on making your plot and character interactions more unique and believable.
Anyway, I hope I helped, and if you have any questions, feel free to send me a PM. I'll be happy to help.

-Nutty
It's not easy having a good time. Even smiling makes my face ache.

297 Reviews

Reviews: 297
Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:56 pm
Kaylyn says...

John made his way up to his fiancé’s apartment, eager to see the woman who held his heart.

Because this is the woman that is the fiancee it is spelled with to e's.
If the male is the fiance, then it is spelled with only one.
Its cause of the french origin. So in this case you need to add an e.
Just to let you know. :)

Other than that minor mistake, which is very minor, I didn't see any other spelling, typos, punctuation, or grammar mistakes. Thank you for it not being loaded with them.

This was a good piece. It almost had me crying at the end. Although if you put a bit more emotion in the character and humanize them a bit more, I probably would. The descriptions were great. You had me sitting on the edge of the seat, the whole time.

Usually I don't read romance novels or books, I rarely visit the forum on YWS. Staying strictly to historic, fantasy, fan, and other fiction. Anyways this was a pleasure to read and I enjoyed it immensly. Good luck, and keep that writing coming.
As your pretty, so be wise,
Wolves may lurk in every guise.

83 Reviews

Reviews: 83
Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:05 pm
*singerofthenight* says...

*cries.....* What!!!!! But they...but ......I thought they would live happily ever after.

*cries again*

That was so romantic! I nearly cried, seriously. The emotion it built up, adn the...the suspense! I wish they woudl have foudn each other. That's so sad....
"Hello, is this thing on?"

22 Reviews

Reviews: 22
Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:50 pm
View Likes
aloe says...

Hokay... I heard this was good so im here to critique it.

The moment he walked in the door he was greeted by the lovely but livid figure of his girlfriend

okay livid can stay as it it a temporary adjective but lovely isn't. try to find a better way to say that. golden opportunity to create some back story on her that implies she is "lovely"

just like he preferred, and she was even wearing his favorite dress.

okay this almost sounds like ( :lol: ) it is his dress. maybe reword it like, "...even wearing that dress he liked"

“Get out!” she threw his suitcase at him as he tried to coax his way back into the room.

kay i gotta play continuity police on you now. first off, if he is outside the room trying to get in, how is she throwing this at him? she just beating the wall with his luggage. secondly, if she was so incredibly pissed and didn't let him in, how did she get his suitcase in the first place? third off, do you know how hard it is to throw a fully loaded suitcase. I've tried it, its hard.

He exhaled sharply as the suitcase hit him squarely in the chest

sharply can stay, there's no way around it. squarely is not relevant however as hitting anywhere in the chest gets a point across. and the whole continuity thing again. HOW DOES SHE HIT HIM IF HE"S OUTSIDE THE ROOM? :?

Staggering slightly, John managed to regain his balance only to have another bag launched at him. This one caused him to drop the suitcase; bursting open and spilling its contents all over the apartment floor

slightly is irrelevant remove it.

You give your secretary an engagement ring!” her lower lip trembled as her voice increased in volume.

kay reality police here. what kind of jackass would do that, seriously? what a dink...

she closed her eyes as tears freely flowed down her pink cheeks.

here's my picky adverb thing again. flowed implies freely. like your kitchen sink really. take out freely.

This wasn’t supposed to happen.

i like the repetition, its a good technique to get a dramatic point across. no problem just wanted to say i like it.

She quickly shrugged them off

is quickly really necessary? just shrugging them off shows an avoidance to touch. find a different way to put emphasis like, "she shied away from his touch after that."

Gathering up all of his bags, he walked out of the apartment.

continuity problem again. i thought some of his bags were spilled all over the floor? and for a long business trip in philly? i don't think you could carry all of those.

She agreed wholeheartedly and offered to give him a ride home after they were finished at the mall.

I light tightly fly because it seemed important to the whole anchor thing but wholeheartedly is not relevant here. it is an adverb and what is important is that she accepted this propo... err idea.

department he didn’t see a young woman quite a few display cases down gasp and leave suddenly.

alright, immensely can stay cause it is little borderline but suddenly can go. you may add something like "in a fit" or "in a tizzy"

The postman hated his job. He hated it with an absolute, indescribable, fiery passion that could only be compared to the flames of Hell.

whoa whoa whoa! tone it down a little. first off the flames of hell bit is a little cliche. also you may wish to take out one or two of the hatred adjectives.

The only thing that kept him going that evening was the promise of going home to see his wife. He didn’t like her all that much, but boy, could she cook

I take it back, this guy is jackass of the day.

It had landed between the grates of a gutter, and the mail carrier decided that it was too filthy for him to pick up.

i don't suppose it matters but i think that that is illegal. seems weird for some guy to risk being arrested over OCD.

For something. For anything. For a shred of hope that things were going to be the way they were, and John would love her once again.

i think you can take out those periods and place commas in their stead

this guy couldn't up and call her? seriously...

:roll:

He arrived at exactly 5:00 pm and had been there for almost four hours now

take out exactly. irrelevant. what is important is that he had arrived and has been waiting for a long time.

The man simply turned his hand downward, and allowed the small ring to drop onto the table.

take out simply. not needed. implied by turning the hand downward which is a simple motion of itself.

Okay wow, sorry that that was so long. by the way, pure tragic bliss. im not usually into this romantic tragedy crap but this had me hooked. good job. 9.5/10

:D
I will show you fear in a handful of dust
~T.S "Butch" Eliot
"Insanity is just a state of mind" ~Allan Alda as Hawkeye Pierce
My first thought was, he lied in every word.
~Robert "Sundance" Browning

522 Reviews

Reviews: 522
Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:13 am
canislupis says...

Hi!
Here is your promised review. :)
I really liked reading this piece, and I found it touching and pretty original. However, in my second read-through I found a few things to point out:
“Get out.”
“What?”
“You heard me. Get out.”
“Maddie, please—”
“Don’t."

This scene seemed a bit contrived. I don’t think John should have jumped right to the ‘pleading’ mode, and that he would have been a bit more confused, but I didn’t create the character, so it’s up to you.
Once he knew what she was upset about, IMO he would have tried to explain, not tried to reason with her. He didn’t even do anything wrong. I also think that he would have called her, or something, when she failed to show up. I dunno, it just didn’t seem realistic to me.
Her blond tresses were flowing freely over her shoulders, just like he preferred, and she was even wearing his favorite dress.

Tresses? Ease off on the corny description. It causes readers to zone out. Try to express his admiration for her in a more subtle way.
she closed her eyes as tears freely flowed down her pink cheeks.

Pink cheeks? I think you can be more creative than that. What does she really look like? Also, so far I’m seeing a lot of ‘he said/did, she did’ and I don’t like it. :) Try to avoid repeating this after every chunk of dialogue.
John was never much of a romantic.

Really? Why don’t you tell us in a more obvious manner? Hah! Just kidding. I would try to express this in a different manner, rather than just telling us outright.
Once he got off of this plane, he was prepared to change his life. He was going to live the way he wanted to, not the way he was supposed to. [.quote]
I think this should be something like: “Once he got off the plane, he would be prepared to change his life.” Otherwise it sounds weird and I think it might be incorrect. (Don’t quote me)
After calling a taxi, he decided to head over to the mall and prepare for step one of his new life. Upon arrival, he called the only other woman who lived close enough by (and who wouldn’t mind being called so late in the evening). His secretary, Cheryl, arrived a few minutes later and he explained his new ideas to her. She agreed wholeheartedly and offered to give him a ride home after they were finished at the mall.
It was difficult for John to find what Madelyn might like, but Cheryl helped immensely. He couldn’t have done it without her, really. It was a shame that the moment he asked for her opinion in the jewelry department he didn’t see a young woman quite a few display cases down gasp and leave suddenly. She had just been to the beauty salon so she would look nice when her lover arrived later from a business trip.
When Cheryl dropped John off at Madelyn's apartment complex, she gave him a small hug and a heartfelt goodbye. She told him how happy she was for him, and how she would see him around. John made his way up to his fiancé’s apartment, eager to see the woman who held his heart.

This bit is well-done, but is still a little bit ‘telly’
He straightened his back and rubbed his eyes. What could he do to make this right?
A few minutes passed when his gaze fell upon a blank sheet of paper lying on his bedside table. He sighed and picked it up, fishing through his suitcase for a pen. If this was what he had to do, he would.
All for Madelyn. He couldn’t lose her. Not now.

I really liked this bit. It wasn’t overstated or clichéd, and I really got a feel for his emotion. Nice job.
The postman hated his job. He hated it with an absolute, indescribable, fiery passion that could only be compared to the flames of Hell. Because of this, he treated everyone who dared to associate themselves with him like the dirt beneath his shoes. Many often wondered why on earth someone like his continued his occupation, but his answer, if anyone bothered to ask, was always because he "just couldn't quit".
It was December 10th, 2008. A cold day to be out delivering mail to those who, in his opinion, were "too lazy to get it themselves". The air was rather foggy as it often was come winter, and the mail carrier could see his breath stream from his mouth. He wrapped his scarf around his neck once more and adjusted his earmuffs.
The only thing that kept him going that evening was the promise of going home to see his wife. He didn’t like her all that much, but boy, could she cook. Tonight would probably be pork chops, and the old postman couldn’t wait. This blasted cold weather always made his head pound and his stomach ache for some good hot food. But he still had quite a way to go before he could head back home.
He groaned and began making his way down the streets when he came across a street vendor selling roasted peanuts. Stomach rumbling, he figured taking a quick break shouldn’t set him too far back from dinner. He crossed the street towards the vendor and nearly became the victim of a fatal accident. He was just a step away from the other side of the road when a bright red Camry came to a screeching halt no less than an inch from the man.
Meanwhile, the postman had attempted to jump out of the way, but failed and landed in strange position on the curb. His bag had spilled and letters flew everywhere. Bills, magazines, invitations; all were scattered across the curbside. The mail carrier scurried up and managed to snatch up all but one. It had landed between the grates of a gutter, and the mail carrier decided that it was too filthy for him to pick up.
He shrugged, figuring that the letter was better off in the gutter.

On the other hand, I do not like this bit. It isn’t really all that important to the story, especially the bit about his personal opinions. I would cut parts of this out and tone it down until it is just the scene where the letter actually gets lost.
Night had begun to fall when Madelyn made her decision. If he really loved her, he would make the first attempt to speak with her. If not, then he really did love Cheryl, and Madelyn wouldn’t get in the way. She would let them be happy together and let them love one another; just as she had loved John.

Stupid decision on Madelyn’s part. :)
Overall:
I just loved the ending. Nice job. It was touching, and not overdone. A little expected, but still beautifully delivered.
I really like your writing style, but I think you should try to avoid using too much “showing rather than telling.”
Also, I saw a lot of clichéd paragraph beginnings, such as: The old XX, the boy, the this, the that. I think you can be more creative.
There was also a lack of description, save for the bit about Madelyn’s hair that I pointed out earlier. Just a few adjectives or adverbs inserted here and there would (IMNSHO) improve the atmosphere/mood of this piece.
The character’s themselves seemed to be pretty well done; for all that this is a pretty short piece to be developing characters in. I do think you could add on to them as well, though.
If you’d like me to review anything else, feel free to post again on my thread! I hope this was at least the tiniest bit helpful.
See you around!
~Lupis

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:17 am
Demeter says...

Hi, anti-pop – sorry this has taken so long. But here I am now :)

Let's start with nit-picks.

she was even wearing his favorite dress.

This sounds a little like the dress she is wearing was his, which it isn't, of course. Maybe try something like "she was wearing her prettiest dress"?

Work, work, work, work, work!

Ditch a couple of works.

You give your secretary an engagement ring!

Seeing as Maddie is shocked and almost in tears, this is a little too wordy for her to say. What about "You're shopping rings – for your secretary!" or something like that.

“But how can I know that?” (Sounds a bit strange. I'd try '"That's what you say, but is it really true?"' or sth.)Her voice was almost back to its normal level now, but still held every ounce of rage and sadness. “You told me that before, John. And I was stupid enough to believe it[s],[/s]period” [s]s[/s]She closed her eyes as tears freely flowed down her pink cheeks.

It was a shame that the moment he asked for her opinion in the jewelry department he didn’t see a young woman quite a few display cases down gasp and leave suddenly.

Many often wondered why on earth someone like his continued his occupation, but his answer, if anyone bothered to ask, was always because he "just couldn't quit".

Both of these sentences are too long to flow easily. I had to read these more than one time to make up the meaning.

It was December 10th, 2008.

Do you really need the date here? I felt it to be redundant.

across town

Across the town, no?

Overall:

Oh, it was so sad! I was almost in tears, too! The story got me hooked at the very first lines. I really, really liked this. It was so different from most the stories I've read – usually there's a happy ever after. Props for that! The characterization was very good, and just to point out, the postman felt real, with his earmuffs and the fact that he didn't really like his wife.
Only thing that wasn't so good was that the story was too predictable after the postman had dropped the mail in the ground.
But still, excellent job. I enjoyed this. Thanks for the read, and just tell me if you need any more reviews!

Demeter xxx
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

She conquered her demons and wore her scars like wings.
— Atticus