z

Young Writers Society

Heart's Illusion (Working Title) Prologue

287 Reviews

Reviews: 287
Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:21 am
Maki-Chan says...

Prologue

She stood there, frozen- Her long twig legs shaking. No matter how much her mind wanted to step forward, her legs did not obey. The girl shook her small egg shaped head, trying to ignore the words that poured into her ears. The only thing she could do was believe it was all a lie as the wind blew across her pale face, making her long brown hair sway. Even while she murmured to herself that it was a lie, deep within her heat she knew what was said was true.

She had been staring down at the cold cement floor, of the courtyard, just not being able to look at the person before her. After a few seconds passed she finally got enough courage to speak.
“I-I, don’t understand,” She paused thinking of what to say next, but only one more word escaped her lips.
“Why?”

There was no answer, and then the young brunette gazed into her eyes. In an instant she saw the smile of the one she once called friend. Yet her smile was different, it no longer filled the girl with warmth, but instead made her chest feel heavy. This person was once her friend. But now she was something else, something horrid.
The smile had shocked the shaking girl, not expecting it she took a step back.
“It’s a shame,” the ex-friend calmly spoke. “I really wanted to make you cry,” Her eyes turned violent. “ Kizame.”

The brunette dropped to her knees, from hearing her friend talk to her so cruelly.
“Stop it, please Mazin.”

Mazin just ignored Kizame, and walked towards her. To Kizame, she became a demon. Her short fiery orange hair like the flames of hell, while her pitch black eyes paled against her lightly red tinted skin.
Kizame fell onto the cement, and using her feet pushed herself away from this fire demon. While this show of fear, just brought joy to Mazin.

“Kizame,” She murmured, as she walked closer.

“Stop,” Kizame begged.

“Kizame,” Mazin’s voice grew louder as she got closer.

“Stop,” Her back touched a wall behind her, stopping her from moving away.

“Ki-za-me,” Mazin’s voice struck instant fear into Kizame, that of which she had never felt before. Kizame wrapped her arms around herself.

“LEAVE ME ALONE!” She screamed.

The brunette held her eyes shut, and waited for the worst, but nothing happened. Cautiously she opened her eyes. Kizame expected to see an insane smiling face of someone she loved, but she was alone in the courtyard. Seeing that no one was near her she unwrapped her hold on her knees.

The girl lied her head back against the cold brick wall, trying to relax. Instead tiny clear drops of water trickled from her eyes and down her cheek; creating small wet spots on the cement.
“ Please save me, God,” Kizame quietly prayed.

She placed her hands on her belly. Her stomach hurt, but that was just the beginning as something began to emerge from her womb.
Last edited by Maki-Chan on Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
check out my deviantart account ^_^
http://maki121.deviantart.com/

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:59 pm
Carlito says...

Maki-Chan wrote:She stood there, frozen- Her long twig legs shaking. No matter how much her mind wanted to step fore ward, ((forward)) her legs did not obey. The girl shook her small egg shaped head, trying to ignore the words that poured into her ears. But the only thing she could do was believed ((believe)) it was all a lie as the wind blew across her pale face, making her long brown hair sway. But while she murmured to herself that it was a lie, deep within her heat she knew what was said was true. ((Good voicing and description here, I like it :)))

Maki-Chan wrote:There was no answer, and then the young brunet ((brunette)) gazed into her eyes. In an instant she saw the smile of the one she once called friend. Yet her smile was different, it no longer filled the girl with warmth, but instead made her chest feel heavy. This person was once her friend. But now she was something else, something horrid. ((This is written very well))

Maki-Chan wrote:The brunet ((brunette)) dropped to her knees, from hearing her friend talk to her so cruelly.

Maki-Chan wrote:Mazin just ignored Kizame, and walked towards her. To Kizame, she became a demon. Her short fiery orange hair like the flames of hell, while her pitch black eyes paled against her lightly red tinted skin.
Kizame fell onto the cement, and using her feet pushed herself away from this fire demon. While this show of fear, just brought joy to Mazin.

Wow good description and style!

Maki-Chan wrote:Then brunet ((The brunette))held her eyes shut, and waited for the worst, but nothing happened. Cautiously she opened her eyes. Kizame expected to see an insane smiling face of someone she loved, but she was alone in the courtyard. Seeing that no one was near her she unwrapped her hold on her knees.

This is very well written. I like your use of detail.
Is this a short story or are you continuing? I'm slightly confused as to what happened at the end too.
All and all, very good job :D
Let me know if you update this
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

287 Reviews

Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:16 pm
Maki-Chan says...

You really liked it, AWSOME! ^_^ I'll fix up the minorn errors you pointed out. To answer your question I will continue this. i will pm you when Its finished. I also hope you like chapter one too. ^_^

Thanks for that awsome review.

287 Reviews

Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:23 pm
Maki-Chan says...

To let you know. The last sentece holds a lot of importance in my story.

287 Reviews

Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:23 pm
Maki-Chan says...

no one else wants to comment prologue or chapter 1?

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:09 am
The Cheshire Cat says...

Whooo! I found it! XD I've been looking for where you kept this story since you told me about it. Only today did I see it above the rest of your portfolio objects.

Well, DUH, Cheshire. *facepalm*

Aaaannyway, I did find a little bit of critique...

No matter how much her mind wanted to step foreword

'Forward'

But the only thing she could do was believe it was all a lie as the wind blew across her pale face, making her long brown hair sway. But while she murmured to herself that it was a lie, deep within her heat she knew what was said was true.

Never ever ever ever ever start a sentence with 'but' or 'and'. Starting two in a row - big no no as well. You don't need the 'but's in either of these sentences...

The only thing she could do was believe it was all a lie as the wind blew across her pale face, making her long brown hair sway. Even as she murmured to herself that it was a lie, deep within her heat she knew what was said was true.

She had been staring down at the cold cement floor, of the courtyard, just not being able to look at the person before her. After a few seconds passed, she finally got enough courage to speak.

I don't think you need that comma there. It kind of chops up the sentence needlessly.

The girl lied her head back against the cold brick wall, trying to relax, instead tiny clear drops of water trickled from her eyes and down her cheek; creating small wet spots on the cement.

The comma between 'relax' and 'instead' should be turned into a period. Love this sentence otherwise! Very powerfull.

She placed her hands on her belly. Her stomach hurt.

This prologue deserves a better ending, I think. Just ending it with 'Her stomach hurt.' seems so...bland...

Now that all that boring stuff is out of the way, Loved It!!! I liked that you used Japanese names, and clever ones at that. Do they have any special meaning? Can't wait to read more!

*flies over to read next chapter....and Bleach fanfiction X3*
James Bond: Do you expect me to talk?
Goldfinger: No Mister Bond, I expect you to die!

287 Reviews

Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:48 pm
Maki-Chan says...

Thanks for the god review. I fixed it up, and added a better ending (I think). I hope its better ^_^

268 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 268
Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:01 pm
Adnamarine says...

Hey Maki! Here's your review.
I didn’t really understand a whole lot about what was going on here, but I’m not worried yet. It’s the prologue. For now, I’ll just let you have the line by line and when I’ve read more of the story I may come back to this.
Attachments
Prologue - Maki-Chan.doc
(27.5 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
"Half the time the poem writes me." ~Meshugenah

280 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 280
Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:36 am
Nutty says...

She stood there, frozen- Her long twig legs shaking.

I would suggest getting rid of 'there', it is redundant. Also, replace the '-' with a semi colon-
She stood frozen; her long twig legs shaking.

The girl shook her small egg shaped head,

I'm not sure I like this description. Most heads are vaguely egg shaped, and it seems a tad unnecessary to state it. If she had an unusual shaped head, maybe then it would merit mention.

The only thing she could do was believe it was all a lie as the wind blew across her pale face, making her long brown hair sway. Even while she murmured to herself that it was a lie, deep within her heat she knew what was said was true.

Heat should be heart.
You've repeated the fact she is trying to believe it is a lie twice here. Maybe if you reword it-

The girl shook her head, the wind blowing her brown hair across her pale face, trying to ignore the words that poured into her ears. Even while she murmured to herself that it was a lie, deep within her heart she knew what was said was true.

Hrrmmm... what do you think? I'm just throwing ideas around. It is up to you if you like it my way better or not.

She had been staring down at the cold cement floor, of the courtyard, just not being able to look at the person before her.

Remove the comma between floor and courtyard, take out 'just' and 'being', they don't work well with the flow-
She had been staring down at the cold cement floor of the courtyard, not able to look at the person before her.

Economy is a good thing, select your words carefully for maximum effectiveness.

There was no answer, and then the young brunette gazed into her eyes.

You need to be a little clearer here, when I first read this, I assumed 'the young brunette' was referring to the figure in front of the MC. It wasn't until I read further and realized Mazin is a red head that the main character was doing the gazing. I think this is because of the 'her', which is a general term and lead me to assume that 'her' was the character you had already described.

In an instant she saw the smile of the one she once called friend.

In an instant? that means the task is done quickly. Do you mean for an instant? So she flashed the smile, rather then was quick to smile?

I don't like the flow of the last half of the sentence. I would suggest you reword it, as it is awkward.
Maybe try something like this-
The smile was unexpected, and the shaken girl took a step back in shock.
Whatever you prefer.

The brunette dropped to her knees, from hearing her friend talk to her so cruelly.

I think 'speak' fits better then 'talk' here, but that's just personal preference.

Mazin just ignored Kizame, and walked towards her.

Remove the 'just'. It does nothing to improve the sentence, and even takes away from it a little.

while her pitch black eyes paled against her lightly red tinted skin.
Huh? how can something pitch black pale against anything? :wink:

While this show of fear, just brought joy to Mazin.

This sentence is awkward. Say it out loud, it sounds odd, no?
I would suggest you reword it, for example-
This show of fear just brought joy to Mazin.

“Stop,” Kizame begged.

You have 'closer' at the end of two sentences close together, and the breaks between the lines make it stand out. I would suggest you reword one of the sentences for variety.

“Ki-za-me,” Mazin’s voice struck instant fear into Kizame,

Instant fear? because you have described no change in Mazin's voice, and she has been speaking for a while now, this seems a little odd.

Her stomach hurt, but that was just the beginning as something began to emerge from her womb.
0.0 It began to emerge this very instant? Is she giving birth....?

Overall, you have a solid prologue here. It was intriguing enough to encourage me to keep reading, and promises an interesting plot. I actually enjoyed it, well done. I would suggest you choose your words carefully, removing ones that don't add to the idea- often redundant words actually take away from your work. Maybe also read your work out loud to find the occasional flaw with flow.
But over all, very nice work. PM me if you have any questions ^^
It's not easy having a good time. Even smiling makes my face ache.

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:43 am
Jemima says...

I really liked ur story. I hope u add more to it. I like ur description of the demon ex friend Mazin just ignored Kizame, and walked towards her. To Kizame, she became a demon. Her short fiery orange hair like the flames of hell, while her pitch black eyes paled against her lightly red tinted skin.

“I love you, and because I love you, I would sooner have you hate me for telling you the truth than adore me for telling you lies.”

356 Reviews

Reviews: 356
Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:00 pm
*writewatiwant* says...

I liked it! i like you're use of describing (even if i don't know the context) and above some errors (who am I to speak? I don't write very correctly either) I think it's a good start and it can turn out a very good story! :D

287 Reviews

Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:27 pm
Maki-Chan says...

just to let you all know she isn't pregnant. Something far more interesting pops out.

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:01 pm
Clo says...

Hey Maki! *flies in on rope* Here I am to saaave the daaay!

She stood there, frozen- Her long twig legs shaking.

You don't follow a dash with another capitalized sentence. It should be, "She stood there, frozen - her long twig legs shaking".
And in this case it should be "her long twig legs wereshaking".

The girl shook her small egg shaped head,

That is a very strange description to give to someone. Or at least by itself. I think you should take this description and wait for a time where you actually focus on her description - a time where you're describing more of her features. Then, put this description in there amongst the rest of them. As of now, it looks very strange.
"The girl shook her head".

After a few seconds passed she finally got enough courage to speak.

Try not to say "got" in writing. Think of other verbs that better elaborate what you're trying to say "receive", "obtain" - anything you want.

That comma isn't necessary.

Her short fiery orange hair [ ] like the flames of hell, while her pitch black eyes paled against her lightly red tinted skin.

You need a verb in there where I have the brackets. Without it, this sentence is fragmented. For example, try: "Her short fiery orange hair burned like the blames of hell", or "Her short fiery orange hair shone like the flames of hell".

- Comma issue, correction: "Kizame fell onto the cement, and using her feet, pushed herself away from this fire demon."
- "[s]While[/s] This show of fear just brought joy to Mazin". That while makes the sentence not make much sense.

"she murmured" - you don't capitalize dialogue tags like this.

“LEAVE ME ALONE!” She screamed.

Avoid using Caps Lock. Try using italics instead - it's a lot less amateurish looking.

The brunette held her eyes shut, and waited for the worst, but nothing happened. Cautiously she opened her eyes.

- You say eyes twice here, and it's not necessary. We already know her eyes are shut, and that that's what she would be opening. So, "Cautiously, she opened them."
- Also, you need a time interval between her waiting for the worst, nothing happening, and her opening her eyes. As of now, it seems to all happen immediately. This can be amended simply by adding, "After a moment" in there.

CLARITY
Something very interesting is happening here, but I simply don't know what. First of all, you need a setting. Where is Kizame? You say it's a courtyard, but that's a very flimsy setting setup. A courtyard where? What does it look like? I have no idea, you never described anything about it, so as she is crawling and being assaulted, I have no imagery in my head as to where she is doing this cowering or what's going on around her.

Another big issue is...

WHY?

I know this is a prologue, but there is absolutely no reason for what is going on here. Here's some Whys you could answer, at least just one to help add some clarity: Why is she specifically afraid of Mazin? Why is Mazin doing this to her? Why did the actions Mazin did cause her to have something in her womb? Why is Kizame at the courtyard? You don't have to answer ALL of these - at least one would be nice. A prologue can be muddled, as it is a prologue and meant to raise questions, yet you can't leave your reader completely and absolutely uncertain of what is going on or where they are or who their character is.

I hope this review was helpful! PM me if you have questions.

~ Clo
How am I not myself?

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:07 am
RoryLegend says...

Hello! Sorry it has taken me a while I forgot to check the "Will review for food" section. My bad.

Okay, so onto the review. I have worked with you before in storybooks and such and read your stuff. Usually I can see some type of pattern but really who doesn't have a pattern. This seems different from what you usually write, though I could be mistaken.

It is a very very promising start and I really like it.

The first paragraph really pulled me in and made me want to read more, although in the last sentence I think heat is supposed to be heart. Possibly.

The rest of it was really desctiptive and well written. I didn't catch any grammatical erros, though I am relatively tired at the moment.

I think the length was good and left us with just enough, you know keeps us guessing. It was very interesting to read. It had just the right amount of desciption and used good imagery. It was alos mysterious.

I think the last line is really strong and you can tell it is an important part, but you didn't give too much away. I really did enjoy it.

Well I will also go on and review chapter one, but I have school tomorrow (one more day before thanksgiving break!!!) so I promise I will review tomorrow after noon if I forget please please please pm me or something!

Alrighty, really good job keep it up!

--Rory :]
All you need is 20 seconds of insane courage, and I promise you something great will come of it.

-Benjamin Mee

896 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 896
Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:34 pm
View Likes
PenguinAttack says...

Hi, Maki-Chan, I apologise for this being so horribly late. I’ll get through this as quickly as possible and move on to the first chapter. I’ll be writing comments in your main document in violet. ^^

Prologue
She stood there, frozen comma rather than dash and lower case “h” er long twig I’m not sure you need “twig” here. I’d go for one adjective or the other. Are they long or twiggy? You can add the other one later on somewhere. legs shaking. No matter how much her mind wanted to step forward, her legs did not obey. The girl shook her small egg shaped The same as the leg issue. We only need one adjective here; you can describe the other later. head, trying to ignore the words that poured into her ears. The only thing she could do was believe it was all a lie as the wind blew across her pale face, making her long brown Here it isn’t important that the hair is brown. Just that it’s long, as a connection to wind, so I’d lose the “brown” hair sway. Even while she murmured to herself that it was a lie, deep within her heart she knew what was said was true.
She had been staring down at the cold cement floor No comma of the courtyard, just I’d delete this “just” here, it’s not needed, really. not being I’d also delete this “being” here. able to look at the person before her. After a few seconds passed I’d delete “passed” here. she finally got enough courage to speak. This feels very odd to me. I’m not sure if it’s the “finally” or the “got” – in either case, the line feels very weird. I’d look over it if I were you and see how you could re-arrange it. A suggestion would be to make it simpler; “After a few seconds, she finally spoke.”
“I-I, don’t understand,” She paused comma thinking of what to say next, but only one more word escaped her lips.
“Why?” Move this up next to “lips.” There’s no reason for it here, really.
There was no answer, and then the young brunette gazed into her eyes. In an instant she saw the smile of the one she once called friend. Yet her smile was different, it no longer filled the girl with warmth, but instead made her chest feel heavy. This person was once her friend. But now she was something else, something horrid. Okay, here you have a really awkward paragraph. “In an instant” doesn’t fit at all, just in general, and you repeat the idea of “once called friend” a couple of times. I think skimming this down would really help. The idea could easily be summarized in two lines all up; “There was no answer, and the young brunette gazed into the other’s eyes. There was a cold smile, so different from the childhood warmth that she realized this woman was no longer her friend.” Or something similar. Think on it, it could help.
The smile had shocked the shaking girl, not expecting it she took a step back. I don’t think you need “The smile had shocked the shaking girl” You’d do just as well by keeping the end and not using the start at all.
“It’s a shame,” the ex-friend calmly spoke. “I really wanted to make you cry,” Her eyes turned violent. “ Kizame.”
The brunette dropped to her knees, from hearing her friend talk to her so cruelly. I think we can assume it’s from how cruel the other girl is speaking. I’d put a period after “knees” and have the dialogue without the rest of the line.
“Stop it, please Mazin.”
Mazin just ignored Kizame, and walked towards Pet peeve, I hate when people add the “s” to “toward” you don’t need it. I’d also lose “and walked” and have “walking” instead. her. To Kizame, she became a demon. Her short fiery orange hair like the flames of hell, while her pitch black eyes paled against her lightly red tinted skin. Okay. This made me laugh out loud, which isn’t your fault. “firey” indicates “like fire” so your saying “like the flames” is a little redundant. What you’re also doing is slapping us in the face with “EVIL character” you know? Let us make some assumptions ourselves. Yes, she’s like a demon to Kisame, but don’t go too overboard with it.
Kizame fell onto the cement, and using her feet comma pushed herself away from this fire demon. While this show of fear, just brought joy to Mazin. No “while” and lose the comma in this last line.
“Kizame,” She murmured, as she walked closer. Lose the comma after murmured.
“Stop,” Kizame begged.
“Stop,” Her back touched a wall behind her, stopping her from moving away.
“Ki-za-me,” Mazin’s voice struck instant fear into Kizame, that of which she had never felt before. Kizame wrapped her arms around herself.
“LEAVE ME ALONE!” She screamed. We don’t need the caps. Really. It’ll work just fine if you tell us she screamed without the capitals.
The brunette held her eyes shut, and waited for the worst, but nothing happened. Cautiously she opened her eyes. Kizame expected to see an insane smiling face of someone she loved, but she was alone in the courtyard. Seeing that no one was near her she unwrapped her hold on her knees.
The girl lied lay her head back against the cold brick wall, trying to relax. Instead comma tiny clear drops of water trickled from her eyes and down her cheek; creating small wet spots on the cement.
“ Please save me, God,” Kizame quietly prayed.
She placed her hands on her belly. Her stomach hurt, but that was just the beginning as something began to emerge from her womb. It just began to emerge?! Straight from her womb!? I don’t know if that’s as disturbing to you as it is to me. xD It feels odd. How does she know it’s emerging? The process sounds rapid but it should be slow – I think? Weird.

I’m going to leave that there. ^^ You’ve obviously got a handle on description, though I think you use a little too much in certain areas. The tale is interesting and you leave at a great place. ^^ I hope my comments help.

*Hearts* Le Penguin.
I like you as an enemy, but I love you as a friend.

Who knew paper and ink could be so vicious.
— Kathryn Stockett, The Help