z

Young Writers Society

EverWayward #13

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:57 pm
Aedomir says...

You guys have been great so far! Please read this and tell me what you think. It is the ending to Chapter Four: The Vision of Paradise.

Chapter Four, Final Part

They passed across the plains by quick foot. Aedomir had claimed some venison, making but a sport of the game chase, and between them, new energy struck. They ate in a quick break hungrily, and fed the rest to Rothorn. For the first in a long while, Aedomir felt focused, driven by determination as it keenly flowed through his blood. Aedomir soon deemed it necessary to counsel with Seridon on their path to follow. They sat, and stopped.

Where they stood, upon dry, straw grass, streaks of the cool winter’s wind passed through their hair. It was heavy with an ill stench. The smell was new to Aedomir, but then again, so was everything else. Nothing could be heard save only the weeds as their leaves rustled in the breeze. Aedomir closed his eyes and thought about how things used to be, even before he was outlawed. Times seemed so different then. Streaks of swirling clouds floated like cotton ball across the sky, a pale pink at the dusk's turn. Children skipped around the city pathways with glee upon their faces and women in silk robes carried sweet fruit towards their houses. Now, everything about harnessed a pale sickness, the world could not be so changed. Abroad the sloping hill, clusters of flaky trees and grey skies dominated the horizon. The lands were silent, almost as if waiting for something to strike, to fall and crush. Tension—it floated in the air. Aedomir’s fingers were numb from the obsolete warmth and icy puffs of air. Seridon watched him as Aedomir’s eyes drifted about. Their road had been swift, and yet still they had encountered no others. It became apparent that no scouts of any kind lurked in nearby shadows.

Aedomir opened his mouth to speak, returning the remembrance of his hunger-stained stomach. “How do we know they are alive?” he said.

Seridon halted, but his focus remained forwards and distant. “I would not have suggested finding them, if only they were inanimate. Also, the emperor sent me after both you and them. He would not have done so if he deemed them dead.”

“Perhaps,” said Aedomir, an uncertainty wavering in his voice.

This time Seridon turned. “Have faith.”

He nodded in concurrence to Seridon, but inwardly, Aedomir cursed his knowledge. The dwelling riddles pondered helplessly in the depths of his mind. Suddenly he felt the need to rid himself of his wakefulness and leave his imaginations to destroy themselves. They would entrance him, and only too soon he knew would he surrender to them and self hate would strike. How he yearned for a rapture of blissful refuge to arise, for everything to stop and let his serenity cease. But it never did, as if a tempest had been unleashed through the hazy storms of fallacy.

His eyes were swept back to Seridon and Aedomir became aware of their locked eyes, blazing together.

All sound passed; Seridon began to speak in silent tongue. Aedomir could see the colours of his eyes churning into a vision of soup; swirls of all colours from red to violet. Something inside his head began to pound violently against his skull.

Then the cold—everywhere was so very cold. Like a storm of ice it trapped Aedomir in. Then through the blink of an eye everything went. Something pillaged through him, raging witch-cries. Colours remained though. They danced around in vivid flashes of burnt reds and crimsons.

But they changed; they died.

#

“What see you?” said a familiar voice.

Aedomir blinked, and looked upwards. He could feel Seridon’s breath warm his skin. Then he saw him. The feel of icy grass rubbing against his back resumed. The early afternoon glow still remained amidst the drifting air.

“They live…” Aedomir whispered through parched lips. Those two words he had longed to say from the moment his eyes had befallen upon these times.

“Who—what is that you saw?”

He closed his eyes and felt his lips curve into an arc, a smile. “I saw… rose meadows… which shimmer under the heavenly lights. The sun shines gracefully amongst it, her beauty glows the fields. I feel as though she is sewn into the skies, with the strands of woolly clouds stitched near. Two silver guards at the lattermost end of the pasture hold sparkling tridents that cross as I near. Then they drop, and a harmony of hooves pattering against the ground, mellow the air’s tranquillity.

“Horses race into view, most well-groomed, but one of wicked nature. Their riders I can see, and a memory of them is reawakened. They are us, and my riders. The ill horse is yours. But there is another. The face I cannot see, but the galloping steed continues to ride.”

Aedomir looked through the gap in his drawn eyes. “So it is decided. You will ride with us.”
Last edited by Aedomir on Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
We are all Sociopaths: The Prologue

Sociopath: So • ci • o • path noun
1. Someone who believes their behaviour is right.
2. Human.

370 Reviews

Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:27 am
Aedomir says...

Please review! No more will be posted after this!

2. Human.

602 Reviews

Reviews: 602
Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:31 pm
Wolf says...

Hey Aedomir!

Aedomir had claimed some venison, making but a sport of the game chase, and between them, new energy struck.

I don't think you're a Mary-Sue, but here it is. It just struck me as odd that you share a screen name with your character -- but I shouldn't be talking, as my screen name used to be 'Ayra'.

For the first in a long while, Aedomir felt focused, driven by determination as it keenly flowed through his blood.

I think the part I've underlined might sound better as 'flowed keenly'.

Nothing could be heard save only the weeds as their leaves rustled in the breeze.

I think this would make better sense as: Nothing could be heard, save the weeds as their leaves rustled in the breeze.

Streaks of swirling clouds floated like cotton ball across the sky, a pale pink at the dusk's turn.

I think 'ball' should be 'balls'? But that description doesn't seem right, somehow. Clouds described as looking like cotton-balls (I'm pretty sure it should be hyphenated) aren't usually streaky and swirling. Cotton-ball clouds are usually more... fluffy.

Now, everything about harnessed a pale sickness, the world could not be so changed.

This sentence doesn't quite make sense. Did you mean that everything about him harnessed a pale sickness; the world could not be so changed.

Seridon watched him as Aedomir’s eyes drifted about.

Eyes don't really move... but gazes do? Maybe it should be: Seridon watched as Aedomir's gaze drifted abut.

Aedomir opened his mouth to speak, returning the remembrance of his hunger-stained stomach.

I don't think 'stained' is quite the right word. It's really just personal preference, but I think 'tainted' might be better.

“How do we know they are alive?” he said.

He said? Sounds more like he's asking. :wink:

“Perhaps,” said Aedomir, an uncertainty wavering in his voice.

I don
t think you need 'an'...

This time Seridon turned.

Comma after 'time'.

They would entrance him, and only too soon he knew would he surrender to them and self hate would strike.

'Self hate' should be hyphenated. :) And there should be a comma after 'soon', methinks.

Aedomir could see the colours of his eyes churning into a vision of soup; swirls of all colours from red to violet.

'Soup' doesn't sound right here. Any one word, when using imagery, can give the phrase a whole new atmosphere. 'soup' gives your sentence a weird atmosphere -- almost childish. Maybe change it to a synonym of soup, or a word that would convey the same general image?

Like a storm of ice it trapped Aedomir in.

Comma after 'ice'. :P

Then through the blink of an eye everything went.

Comma after 'Then' and after 'eye'.

Colours remained though.

Comma after 'remained'.

He could feel Seridon’s breath warm his skin.

I think it should be: He could feel Seridon's breath warming his skin. Or: He could feel Seridon's breath, warm against his skin.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nit-picks, done, for the the negatives. :twisted:

Dislikes:
- Aedomir doesn't seem to have much of a personality; you would benefit from more character development.
- I'm none too fond of all the archaic-type speaking, but that's just personal preference so you don't need to worry about it.
- The pace is a bit too fast, mainly because there's no character development.

+ You had some pretty descriptions, especially at the end with Aedomir's vision.
+ You have quite an impressive vocabulary
+ It flows very well.

K. Now, I'm going to [s]lecture[/s] talk to you about some stuff:

Descriptions.
You have some really nice description here, but you would benefit from more sensual imagery. As in, more of the five senses. At the moment, you only really have sight, asides from when he could feel the grass rubbing against his back.
I'll provide an example:

Then the cold—everywhere was so very cold. Like a storm of ice it trapped Aedomir in. Then through the blink of an eye everything went. Something pillaged through him, raging witch-cries. Colours remained though. They danced around in vivid flashes of burnt reds and crimsons.

This has two and a half of the five senses:cold = feel/touch. Colours = sight. Witch-cries = hearing. Though the witch-cries are only a half, since you did not describe what they sounded like. Which you might want to do, by the way.
You can make this paragraph more powerful by incorporating the other senses; did he have an odd taste in his mouth? Was the air filled with a burnt smell? You know, stuff like that.

Also, another thing with description. When your characters (namely, Aedomir) are speaking, they tend to use loads of nice description. Which isn't how people usually speak unless they're reading a descriptive story aloud or something. Example:

“I saw… rose meadows… which shimmer under the heavenly lights. The sun shines gracefully amongst it, her beauty glows the fields. I feel as though she is sewn into the skies, with the strands of woolly clouds stitched near. Two silver guards at the lattermost end of the pasture hold sparkling tridents that cross as I near. Then they drop, and a harmony of hooves pattering against the ground, mellow the air’s tranquillity.

“Horses race into view, most well-groomed, but one of wicked nature. Their riders I can see, and a memory of them is reawakened. They are us, and my riders. The ill horse is yours. But there is another. The face I cannot see, but the galloping steed continues to ride.”

This is chock-full of description. But seriously, who actually talks like that? It doesn't seem very realistic.

Character development. *dun dun duh*
I probably won't be of much help here because I'm terrible with characterization, but I'll do the best I can...

What you have now are what I call cardboard characters. They have no personalities, thoughts, opinions, or feelings towards others. Aedomir needs to be more fleshed out. Example:

His eyes were swept back to Seridon and Aedomir became aware of their locked eyes, blazing together.

All sound passed; Seridon began to speak in silent tongue. Aedomir could see the colours of his eyes churning into a vision of soup; swirls of all colours from red to violet. Something inside his head began to pound violently against his skull.

But they changed; they died.

This paragraph seemed particularly hollow. You need to let us know if this is something that Aedomir has experienced before; if so, was he scared of it? It doesn't sound particularly pleasant, after all. Did he cringe when he saw Seridon's eyes? Did he know what was going to happen? What led him to lock eyes with Seridon?
Here's a little diagram sorta thing that hopefully will explain more:

Aedomir is wondering if his companions (or whatever they are) are dead > he realizes that he can find out by having a vision type-thing > he turns to Seridon because he knows that he must lock eyes with him to experience a vision > at the last moment, he is frightened and/or anxious as he remembers the pain that comes with a vision > but he follows through with it anyway in order to learn more of his friends.
* I'm not sure about the vision-thing, so I just made up some facts. But hopefully it's still coherent.

Does that make sense? Hopefully it does. XP
What I was trying to get across was that you need more credible human emotions. It's only human to cringe away from pain, so why didn't Aedomir? Unless he's inhuman. LOL. Anyway. The last few phrases I did; the ones in which Aedomir is frightened but follows through anyways in order to learn more about his friends. What might this tell you about him? That he cares about his friends, obviously, and that he is somewhat noble.

Anyway. You get it? In a nutshell: Aedomir and his companions needs personalities. They need to have opinions on each other, motives, thoughts, etc.

Now, that concludes my marvelous critique. I wish I could help more with character development, but seeing as I only know a bit about it myself, I'd probably just ramble on and on and on and on and on and -- gah! This must stop.
... sorry, sometimes that happens. :oops:

Yes. Overall, I like this. It's interesting and who knows -- maybe I'll go read the previous chapters? But only if you post them on 'Want a Critique?' so that it doesn't seem like I'm skipping all the other crits I have to do.

Keep it up! :D

- Camille xx
PS. Feel free to PM me with any questions/comments!
everything i loved
became everything i lost.

Would you like a review?
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic73903.html

370 Reviews

Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:31 pm
Aedomir says...

Wow Wolf! That must have taken forever to write! Thnaks very much I really appreciate it. I have always had troubles with characterization, I really need to improve on that.

It just struck me as odd that you share a screen name with your character

Other way round. I was writing my novel and I thought I would make his name my screen name. I want to change that, lol.

Oh, and with the vision and that, the vision was accidental, it just sort of happened. Ugh, so much I need to edit. Thank you though!

- Mark

2. Human.

713 Reviews

Reviews: 713
Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:08 pm
BigBadBear says...

Hey, Mark!

Why aren't you going to be posting any more after this? This is an incredible story...

Well, I've been thinking and I've decided that listing a bunch of grammar errors really aren't going to help you improve. So I'll let you catch those on your own.

I feel what is really important in a critique are things that will help you write better. So, I'll tell you what I liked and what I didn't.

(sorry, I'm gonna copy Wolf above me)

- The descriptions

- Emotions

Dislikes:

- Barely anything happened in this section; Aedomir had a vision and that's about it.

- Your characters right now don't seem to have much of a personality. Dialogue shows an extreme amount of personality.

- Your descritions go on. And on. And on. And on until I'm completely lost. Then I have to force myself to go back and read through, making sure I caught everything.

Remember: Adjectives aren't the only describing words!

Look here:

Abroad the sloping hill, clusters of flaky trees and grey skies dominated the horizon.

That's a lot of adjectives. I have been reading this grammar book that my English teacher let me borrow. It says point blank that not every noun has to have an adjective. Some of them can, but after a while it gets old. I'm going to rewrite this making a few minor changes.

Abroad the sloping hill, flaky trees were clustered together under the grey skies that dominated the horizon.

This quote pulls off the same image that you are presenting with the reader, but in a less foreful way. I hope that made sense. Anyway, that grammar book is really awesome and will help me a lot in editing.

Wow. I'm being nitpicky!

Anyway, great end of the chapter. I really like the story. It's coming along just great. I can't wait to see it out on shelves!

-Jared
Just write -- the rest of life will follow.

Would love help on this.

370 Reviews

Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:17 pm
Aedomir says...

Wow, that's a thought... I knew that about the adjectives, but for some reason they just go down without me thinking. I will fix that! I may or may not be posting more, but a lot of the reads seem to be getting bored of it. I will carry on writing it, and may post extracts, but I get too obsessed with checking for critcs than actaully writing it.

Thanks for the review Jared!

2. Human.

Why do we only rest in peace? Why don't we live in peace too?
— Alison Billet