z

Young Writers Society

Where does my story go?

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:13 pm
Griffinkeeper says...

I've been moving a bunch of stories that were in the fantasy fiction. For quick reference:

Action Adventure Fiction has action stories that are set in modern times.

Science Fiction has a story set in a futuristic setting or an alternate reality.

Fantasy Fiction is set in a world with mythical, usually medieval, settings. If your story has dragons, elves, or knights in shining armor, this is probably where your story belongs.

Romantic Fiction are composed of love stories, with love as the central theme.

Historical Fiction usually has stories composed of a realistic past setting. If you're writing about an American GI on the shores of Normandy Beach, this is probably where your story goes.

Fan-Fiction is fiction done by fans in honor of a certain author or story.

Other Fiction is fiction that doesn't fit into the above categories.

Non-Fiction is composed of a factual account. You don't make up non-fiction stories, you tell them. Essays usually fall in this category.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:15 pm
Poor Imp says...

Fantasy Fiction is set in a world with mythical, usually medieval, settings. If your story has dragons, elves, or knights in shining armor, this is probably where your story belongs.

That's a bit narrow there, Grif. What about urban fantasy? What about contemporary weaving in alternate reality? Fantasy would be a sad genre if it could only manage elves and knights in shining armour. ^_~
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:20 pm
Griffinkeeper says...

Urban fantasy?

*Runs off to check wikipedia*

*Runs back.*

Okay, Urban Fantasies are a subset of Contemporary Fantasies, which are under Fantasy Fiction.

Still, the underlying basis is that mythical creatures do exist. So it would still be a part of Fantasy Fiction.

Please don't take my examples as gospel, they are meant to steer authors in the right direction, they're not strict rules.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:22 pm
Poor Imp says...

Griffinkeeper wrote:Urban fantasy?

*Runs off to check wikipedia*

*Runs back.*

Okay, Urban Fantasies are a subset of Contemporary Fantasies, which are under Fantasy Fiction.

Still, the underlying basis is that mythical creatures do exist. So it would still be a part of Fantasy Fiction.

Please don't take my examples as gospel, they are meant to steer authors in the right direction, they're not strict rules.

Don't worry, Grif...'twas only checking you. ^_^ It'll come out right, doubtless -- especially as authors can discuss it here.

IMP
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:37 pm
inkweaver22 says...

I have a story that's a bit of a genre bender and I'm not sure where to post it. It's based (loosely) on the ancient Celtic legend of "An Táin" (The Great Cattle Raid) but it's set in the near future/alternative realities (A lot of the "Geantrai", or First Act, is set in a highly developed and urbanized Ireland, while the subsequent "Goltrai" and "Suantrai", Acts Two and Three, switch between several virtual realities and the "real" world.) It also contains several epic battle scenes based on those depicted in "An Táin" but with modern environments and modern weaponry.

I know this is just an awkward and confusing question (Sorry!), but anything remotely resembling an answer would be much appreciated.

~D'Inkweaver
"...take thy beak from out my heart and quit the bust above my door, quoth the raven: 'Nevermore'..."
-The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
"...By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes."
-Macbeth, William Shakespeare

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:59 pm
Firestarter says...

Put it in sci-fi, if it involves being in the future and/or alternate realities of that nature.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

Random avatar

Reviews: 61
Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:39 am
BrokenSword says...

What about a romance in the Civil War? I've no idea if it should go in Romance or History.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:53 am
Snoink says...

BrokenSword wrote:What about a romance in the Civil War? I've no idea if it should go in Romance or History.

Put it in historical. Many genres have romantic aspects to them, but if they're historical, then that's the most important one. :D
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

Random avatar

Reviews: 61
Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:30 pm
BrokenSword says...

What about a romance entwined with horror?

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:56 pm
Snoink says...

We don't have a horror forum. However, if the horror story has science fiction or fantasy overtones, it goes there. If it has an intense romance, it goes in romance. The best place for it might be "Other Fiction" though.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:05 am
thunder_dude7 says...

My story is tied to Greek mythology, but set in present times. It also involves people with supernatural powers. There is no romance or sci-fi in it. Where does it go?

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:12 am
Meep says...

thunder_dude7, I would say it belongs in fantasy, because something "fantastic" (in this case, Greek mythology and supernatural power) exists in the story, but it is not rooted in science (eg: a scientist did not give these people these powers). (Sorry if I am incorrect!)
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

150 Reviews

Reviews: 150
Tue May 13, 2008 12:14 am
Ross says...

I have a story that kinda has two central things. One is a romance and the other is to spy on the hero in the romance. Romantic fiction or Adventure? PM me with your response!

DW
And we'll be a dream...

"Dee Dubbleyou." - BigBadBear

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Fri May 23, 2008 9:18 pm
bear says...

I have trouble classifying certain things. Like now, for instance.

I have a story that takes place in the future, after humans no longer just live on Earth (and America and parts of Europe self destructed), and there is space travel involved, but it's also a romance. It seems to be a sci-fi romance. And so I got to wondering, which category do I put it under?
Blah blah blah blah?

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Fri May 23, 2008 9:31 pm
Nate says...

bear wrote:I have trouble classifying certain things. Like now, for instance.

I have a story that takes place in the future, after humans no longer just live on Earth (and America and parts of Europe self destructed), and there is space travel involved, but it's also a romance. It seems to be a sci-fi romance. And so I got to wondering, which category do I put it under?

It should go under Mystery.

Ogres are like onions.
— Shrek