She’d answer “Yes,” then we’d embrace,
as our first true night does end.
Our day of white is chosen next,
and the date shall then be penned.

Before too long I’d kiss the bride,
and to heaven we would go.
Because after all true heaven lies,
in the life we live below.
HostofHorus Author, Poet, Dreamer, and Expressionist.
http://JRSStories.com
Stories Poems © As of January 1st 2014

Need a review? Feel free to ask me! :)

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:05 pm
Nightlyowl says...

I really enjoyed this, it was sweet and made me smile. I also thought it was great to hear that a guy could have a celeb crush. I was very pleased with this and read it over about several times as well as showed a few of my friends. You did very well and it all fit perfectly. Great job. 5 owls out of 5.
~Owl
~Nightlyowl

125 Reviews

Reviews: 125
Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:00 am
PixieStix says...

I think that was awsome, keep it up stardom!!!

-pixie
All you need is faith, trust, and a little bit of pixie-dust!

170 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 170
Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:09 am
Boolovesyou says...

Hey Host!

Just a short review here! Your lines are forced. Bit choppy as well. Thats all though.

PM me or post on my wall if you have any questions!

-Boo
Milestiba uzvar visu, Milestiba ir upuris.

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:30 am
dragonrider says...

I didn't like the "10 plus 2" part. Despite the crazy marry and die together thing it was sweet. That was a little weird. Also, I think it would have been a better ending if you put that you know that you can't have her, and blah blah blah whatever instead of just ending it with the illusion-life thing and return to the present.
Dragon Rider
Dragon Rider
May the dragon always ride on the winds of time

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:36 pm
annaseale1998 says...

I thought it was pretty brilliant, and that you shouldn't change much if you were to rewrite it. I loved the idea and the rhymes were great, but maybe try to get the rhythm a little bit more smooth.
"For whether a place is a hell or a heaven rests in yourself, and those who go with courage and an open mind may find themselves in Paradise." - Eva Ibbotson (Journey to the River Sea)

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:36 pm
View Likes
Kale says...

I will say before I even begin that the subject squicks me. Squicks me like all unholy hell.

That said, the only reason I can see this being called a poem is because you've broken it up into stanzas and attempted a cutesy rhyme. Emphasis on "attempted" and "cutesy". There's nothing particularly creative or unique about this poem, and it really doesn't elicit any emotions or thoughtfulness aside from uncontrollable squickage and "OMG, OMG, OMG! MAKE IT END!!!"

I'm pretty sure neither of those reactions were intentional.

That said, it's not just the subject matter that made me want to crawl into some dark, obscure corner never to encounter another piece of wish-fulfillment writing ever again but also its presentation. I can tolerate, sometimes even appreciate, utterly squicky topics when they're presented artistically, but there is no artistic representation here whatsoever aside from the poor attempt at rhyming.

Rhyming relies entirely upon rhythm and flow to work; kill one aspect, and you've completely botched your rhyme. Right now, there is no consistent rhythm, and neither do the words/ideas flow, so you've botched your rhyme so badly that it was actually the failure to rhyme effectively that almost stopped me from completing this poem, moreso than the squicky topic.

And considering how squicky I find the topic, that's saying a lot.

So, one thing you could do is attempt to even up the syllables in between each rhyme. That would give it some semblance of rhythm. However, making the words/ideas flow naturally is a bit more tricky, and quite frankly, I see no way of making either flow nicely. I suggest nixing the rhyme entirely since it is not handled well at all and is a major detractor to this piece.

The next thing to do is to find a more artistic and poetic way of portraying the subject. Right now, it's pure, blatant wish-fulfillment that doesn't even try to pretend to be something else except for a badly-rhyming poem-lookalike, and that is another major detriment. It's not interesting, unique, or even memorable except in the "that's the piece that squicked the unholy hell out of me" way, which I don't think you were aiming for.

So find a way to present the topic more artistically, more interestingly, and more uniquely, else keep this as-is as a private piece that you don't show to anyone else.

Supremely Squicked,

Kyll
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

261 Reviews

Reviews: 261
Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:58 pm
Mr.Knightley says...

Hey! Nice poem. I rather liked it (bite me Kyll xD). It was fun and enjoyable, and I like that the subject matter was light for a change. I read so many poems on YWS that attempt (and subsequently fail horribly) at serious things like heartbreak or love, yada yada yada. So this was a nice break in the monotony. =P

However, I do agree with Kyllorac on the "cutesy" bit. In fact, that's exactly how I would describe it. And in all honesty, cutesy poems aren't remembered. They're fun, but there are a million of them. If you catch my meaning. =T

Also, the choppy rhyming kind of annoyed me. It's not cohesive, and at times it was very apparent that the words you were using to make the stanza rhyme were stretched a bit to match the rest of the poem, contextually. Maybe focus on fixing them a bit? After all, rhyming isn't everything. If your poem doesn't rhyme, so what? The really important part of poetry is rhythm, and if you sacrifice rhythm for rhyme, then you no longer have a poem.

Other than that, I liked it. Keep it up! And if you have any questions, feel free to shoot me a PM. =)

Oh, and for the record, Keira Knightley is WAY better. XD
"You laugh at me because I'm different. I laugh at you because you're all the same."

Lady Gaga

Every time someone steps up and says who they are, the world becomes a better, more interesting place.
— Captain Raymond Holt