z

Young Writers Society

We Were One: A Sixteen Year Old's Look Back to September 11,

Reviews: 3
Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:25 am
Courtlyn says...

Hey guys! I'm new here, but I'd love to hear what you think about this article that I wrote :) http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-655043
Thank you ever so much for your feedback! :)

---------------------------------EDIT----------------------------
Hey guys! I got permission to post it here, so here's the article :)

A six year old girl woke up one Tuesday morning in early fall. She stretched, blinked her eyes, and rolled out of bed.

Co-op starts today!

For weeks, she had been waiting for this day -- the day when she would meet new friends and sing in a real live choir and do all sorts of cool crafts and -- oh, who knew what else! She traipsed into her parents’ room in that groggy-yet-happy way that children that age do on the morning of some much-anticipated event.

Turning into her parents’ room and peering around the bed, the tiny sprite stopped, bewildered and suddenly terrified; her mother sat cross-legged in the floor, the phone lying forgotten by her limp hand. Panicked thoughts shot through the girl’s young mind like bolts of lightning, hot and horrifying.

Oh no! Who was it this time? Not Papa Carl!

Mimi’s daughter had died only a week ago and while the girl hadn’t known her well enough to be very sad, finding her mother in the exact same state as that morning so fresh in her mind was terrifying.

Wait. Why is the TV out?

The TV was never out unless someone was sick or there was an election or --

Then, in a moment, like an electric shock, it hit. It wasn’t Papa Carl or Grammy or Daddy. On the grainy television screen, between the intermittent lines of interference that the failing v-hold allowed through, an airplane flew straight into a skyscraper.

That little girl was me. That airplane was American Airlines Flight 11. And that skyscraper was the North Tower of the World Trade Center.

While most of you reading this probably recall exactly where you were on that particular Tuesday morning, most of my friends my age actually don’t recall much about it at all. I, however, have a particularly extensive long-term memory, and I remember the events of that fateful morning as though it were yesterday.

In September of 2001, I was a young home schooled first grader living a moderately happy life. Until only a week ago, I had never known anyone who died. Even Kiera’s death (she was my mother’s much-younger stepsister who lived in Florida) was only vaguely sad, as I didn’t really know her very well and I was only six. The concept of death was so foreign to me; the only thing on my mind that morning was the prospect of meeting new friends that afternoon.

Some people say that a six year old -- and a sheltered one at that -- couldn’t possibly understand the magnitude of such an occurrence. They’ll tell you that a child’s world is centered around his or her home life and that things outside of that tiny corner of the world are beyond their comprehensive grasp. Maybe that is true for most kids; I don’t know. But I know what I remember. I remember the moment that I saw that airplane crash into the North Tower. I remember the shock of the giant fireball that followed the collision and engulfed the tower. I remember that disbelief of seeing the second plane, United Airlines Flight 175, careen into the South Tower only minutes later. I remember the horror of watching South Tower disappear in a cloud of smoke and debris, almost as though the earth itself had opened her mouth and simply swallowed it. Soon, we heard of two more planes; one that crashed into a big government building called the Pentagon, and one that burned in a field in Pennsylvania. I remember the grief, the terror, the confusion, the denial, the humanity of the newscaster’s painful, deliberate enunciation: “We are under attack.”

Over the following weeks, hours, days -- even months and years, people would try to explain what happened that morning, to rationalize it, to understand it -- to make it make sense. I would be told that mean men made it happen -- bad men who hated us because we weren’t something called “Muslims.” Some people said it was our fault, that we were taking away all their gas and soon there wouldn’t be any left, and that was why we had to wait in blocks-long lines at the gas station. Later, people started saying that American helped the bad men, placing bombs and starting fires. Still others began saying that the President himself had known all about it the whole time and had just let it happen. For every answered question, there were a hundred more waiting.

For weeks after the attacks, people were scared. The things I wanted weren’t at the grocery store. We started bottling up water in empty milk jugs and letting them sit in the back room for days before we were allowed to drink it. My parent’s said that it might be poisoned. We kids weren’t allowed to go get the mail any more; my dad said it might have something called anthrax. It was a white powder that could kill you, he said. We couldn’t go to malls or to the movies or anywhere else with lots of people; those could be targets. Fear reigned supreme.

I’m sixteen now and, looking back, the full picture of the attacks is clear. I know that nineteen members of al-Qaeda, a militant Sunni Islamic organization, hijacked four planes. I know that while three of those planes found their destination, the brave passengers of United Airlines Flight 93 retook control of the fated flight and crashed it into that field outside of Shanksville, PA. I know that the stock exchange closed down until September 17 and that the Dow Jones reopened with a record-shattering 684 point drop. I know that the attacks sent us careening into a full-blown war -- a war over which many would disagree and fight and be divided. I know all the facts and the numbers and the stories.

But staring at that old television screen, I didn’t know any of those things. No one did. What I knew in that moment as a six year old little girl was just the same as what everyone else knew -- that countless innocent lives had just been senselessly ended in a brutal, vile act of unjustifiable hatred. Nothing else mattered; not the names of the hijackers, not the reasons, not the ramifications, not the dollars, not even the numbers. All of that would come later. For one short instant, before all the questions hit, we -- a six year old girl in Missouri, a cab driver in New York City, a middle-aged man reading a storybook with a class of second graders in Florida -- were all the same. In our pain, we were United.

Unity: a sense that, despite our differences and disagreements, we are not alone; that, together, we can overcome anything. That’s what I wish had come of this tragedy. But it hasn’t. On a nearly monthly basis, there’s at least one story in the news about some dispute pertaining to Ground Zero or the surrounding area or policies. Now, I’m not naïve; I know the world in which we live. I know there will always be conflict. But the disputes over these issues go far beyond an acceptable level of disagreement and reach a point of pure hostility. I understand that this hostility stems from a place of fear and pain. But that does not justify our actions.

As the tenth anniversary of that dreadful day approaches, I challenge all of us, myself included, to refrain from being embittered by these events. Sad, horrified, confused, even angry, yes -- but not bitter. Bitterness heals no wounds. Bitterness builds no bridges. So as we remember this dark day, let us remember, let us grieve, let us question; but let us honor the memory of those we mourn. Just as they died together, regardless of race, creed, orientation, or beliefs, let us remember together.
Last edited by Courtlyn on Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Idea? Drop me a line!
I love to research things.I do mostly nonfiction pieces such as current events, political/ethical/religious topics,and historical/scientific research.If you've a question you'd like answered or a topic about which you'd like to know more,I'll gladly write you a piece on it!

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:35 am
Shadowlight says...

Wow.....wow.

That was a thought provoking article.

I was just a little older than you when that happened. I was also homeschooled and was just coming home from my piano lessons when we heard the news. I remember everything like it was yesterday- how time seemed to stop.

Your article flawlessly drew my mind back to that moment in history, it caused me to remember things I haven't in years.

Good job!

I found one typo but I hardly noticed it I was so caught up in your writing. :D

This article was brilliant, how you weaved all your points together into one was perfect, the transitions form theme to theme was perfect.

I loved how you added as much detail as you could while keeping it so conversational. it made it engaging and easy to read.

FANTASTIC work!

~Shadow~
"D*** the torpedoes! Four bells! Full speed ahead!"~ Admiral David Farragut

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:54 am
Valteria says...

Hi. Valteria here to give you your second review.

Here goes:

That was a well-written article in my opinion. It's so cool that you got it published on CNN.com- congrats!

First off, I appreciate the way you began the piece, starting at the exact time it happened and not going through an annoying exposition. I was hooked from the start and the rest just seemed to flow perfectly. I agree with the overall message of this article. 9/11 is an event that should unite the people of America rather than divide us. I honestly can't think of anything negative to say about this or anything that you should fix. It is simply a memoir of a horrifying moment in your life and the lives of people across the country and you wrote it vividly and with honesty, yet tact. It sounded "true", if you can understand what I mean.

Interestingly, I also remember September 11. I was seven years old and surpisingly my parents were homeschooling my brother, sister and I too. Weird, :). Anyway, I looked up from my schoolwork and saw it on TV and, you're right, it was an electrifying moment.

Well, best wishes in your future compositions and welcome to YWS. If you need anything feel free to PM me.

403 Reviews

Reviews: 403
Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:32 am
SmylinG says...

Hey, Courtlyn. :D

So this was really very well written in my opinion. As you read on it begins sort of tugging at your emotions when you start to think back on that gruesome day and recall just how completely horrifying it was. It was almost a surreal moment. You didn't know who or what or why. You didn't know if things were safe anymore and you didn't know what was going to happen next. What kind of action would be taken or what other terrible things might happen next.

I think you definitely captured the emotion. More than that, you bottled it up and let it spill into beautifully articulated words. You carried your point across in a very strong manner, which in this case, was delivered quite appropriately. One of the parts I liked most was when you spoke about the restrictions on what we couldn't do. I vaguely remember much of that, but I do remember Halloween of 2001. Almost no one was out to trick or treat that night. Me and my siblings stayed in as well. At home, where we were safe. My mom and many others were afraid of candy poisoning and such.

Terrible times now that I think back. The fact that you could bring this up again a decade later amazes me. The pain of the event has been somewhat numbed by time, but I really think you nailed this by injecting so much emotion back into your readers. It's brilliantly written I think. I had one small nitpick in the beginning, however. Mostly a part that just didn't read off as smooth because I didn't understand the people references:

"Oh no! Who was it this time? Not Papa Carl!"

Mimi’s daughter had died only a week ago and while the girl hadn’t known her well enough to be very sad, finding her mother in the exact same state as that morning so fresh in her mind was terrifying.

You weren't clear on the relation really. But this is just me being nitpicky. x) I think you did a wonderful job overall. I appreciate the heart that went into this. It almost makes you feel that much more pride for being an American. Keep on writing, you're really good at it.

-Smylin'
Paul is my little, evil, yellow bundle of joy.

170 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 170
Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:56 pm
Boolovesyou says...

Hey Court,

For startersI really wish you had posted this on the site, and not given us a link. Its not a big deal though! I will start with little errors I found. ( No spelling ones so congrats! )

They’ll tell you that a child’s world is centered around his or her home lifecomma and that things outside of that tiny corner of the world are beyond their comprehensive grasp.

Some people said it was our fault, that we were taking away all their gasperiod Soon there wouldn’t be any left, and that was why we had to wait in blocks-long lines at the gas station
This was a bit a of a run on sentence.

I know that the stock exchange closed down until September 17comma and that the Dow Jones reopened with a record-shattering 684 point drop.

a war over which many would disagreecomma fightcomma and be divided.
Since you are listing things at the end here they need to be separated by commas. Adding the word 'and' looks bad while reading.

I know all the factscomma the numberscomma and the stories
. Here you did it again.

Now, I’m not naïve;
You have two spaces before and after 'Now'

So as we remember
Two spaces before 'So'

For the piece over all it was very touching. I liked the points you got across, and I don't feel like you left anything out. Other then add why the mother had the phone at all. That was a little weird. Anyway, good writing! Keep it up!

PM me or post on my wall if you have any questions!

-Boo
Milestiba uzvar visu, Milestiba ir upuris.

Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:00 pm
Courtlyn says...

Thanks for all the reviews, everyone!
1. I really had trouble with their interface. It wouldn't allow me italics and the spaces didn't always look consistent. Also, I'm having troubles with their site, and I can't log in at the moment to fix editing mistakes. Sorry about that.

2. I can't post the story anywhere else publicly, so that's why I posted the link as opposed to the story here. Sorry about that as well.

3. Thank you ever so much for taking the time to read this. Your feedback is great encouragement! I would love to hear anything else you have to say. Also, I would love to hear ideas about things you wish me to write. Post, message, whatever, just drop me a line and give me some ideas! Thanks a million! :)
Idea? Drop me a line!
I love to research things.I do mostly nonfiction pieces such as current events, political/ethical/religious topics,and historical/scientific research.If you've a question you'd like answered or a topic about which you'd like to know more,I'll gladly write you a piece on it!

133 Reviews

Reviews: 133
Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:59 am
Starlight9 says...

A six-year old girl woke up one Tuesday morning in early fall.

She traipsed into her parents’ room in that groggy-yet-happy way that children of that age do on the morning of some much-anticipated event.

While most of you (I am not sure if this part require a verb 'were' after 'you') reading this

While most of you reading this, probably you would/might recall exactly where you were on that particular Tuesday morning

most of my friends (my age)> It would be better if omitted

the earth itself had opened its mouth

Your article is very well-written and shows that you are an amazingly talented writer. I love how you'd ended it. Simply fantastic. I would be delighted to see more of your writings. :smt001
★L9

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:53 am
Snoink says...

Ack, I hated September 11 with a deep passion. I was 13 at the time, so I could understand a lot more than you did, but I felt so stupid. There was so much misinformation back then too -- for a couple of days, for instance, we thought that maybe 10,000 people were in the World Trade Center. And then the footage? It was pure and utter madness.

Okay, so as far as a critique goes, first of all, I think this would be a lot more powerful if you actually stated where you were located. Like, for example, if you were in New York or Pennsylvania or Washington D.C., this would help give your article that much more impact, as then you would be seen as someone who lived through right the middle of it. Or, if you had anybody living around those areas, that would also be pretty important to mention! Obviously, if you didn't have any relatives or live in those areas, then don't add that. But, speaking as someone who lived in California at that time, I can tell you that there were people who called us and asked us if we were okay -- even though they knew we were in California. It was such a strange, strange time.

Anyway, that's it! It's a lovely article though. :)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:45 pm
Rydia says...

Hi, here I am am promised :)

Okay so my first thought is that this might have worked better in first person. Third distances the reader from the action which is great sometimes but when you want your reader to really feel connected to the persona and to really feel like they're walking in their shoes, first person is an excellent choice.

I really like how you start with very normal things, a normal day. Too many cut straight into 'this way was doomed from the start' so it's refreshing to see a more realistic approach.

It's really interesting to read about the aftermath of the event actually, as I'd not thought about supermarket rushes or things like that. I live in England so while the event was a great tragedy, I was very distanced from the fear of it. So good work on putting those details in. I also love how you end the article and your message to others is clear and strong. This is a very nicely written article with a lot of raw emotion and a lot of insights into your experience. Thank you for the read,

Heather xxx
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:35 pm
Courtlyn says...

Okay, so as far as a critique goes, first of all, I think this would be a lot more powerful if you actually stated where you were located.

I did mention "a six year old girl in Missouri," which was me, but seeing as my family wasn't personally affected (we didn't have friends or family in the Towers) I didn't think my exact location was pertinent.

Okay so my first thought is that this might have worked better in first person. Third distances the reader from the action which is great sometimes but when you want your reader to really feel connected to the persona and to really feel like they're walking in their shoes, first person is an excellent choice.

For much of this, I did speak quite informally and in the first person. For the opening, I preferred to keep it objective and to let it "unfold," so to speak.
Thank you guys so much for the reviews! Keep 'em coming!
Idea? Drop me a line!

504 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 504
Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:35 pm
Kafkaescence says...

Before we begin,
Hey guys! I'm new here, but I'd love to hear what you think about this article that I wrote http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-655043
Thank you ever so much for your feedback!

---------------------------------EDIT----------------------------
Hey guys! I got permission to post it here, so here's the article

Put all this in a spoiler, or separate it from the story/article somehow. Just so it's easy for the reader to start reading.

Now, this was a fairly good article. You provided a detailed account of the happenings of 9/11, and then smoothly proceeded to describe your main idea: that everyone should just chill out and stop arguing about what happened. While everything you said was...idealistic, to say the least, your article was well-structured and emotionally grounded, which is good.

But I'll admit it's always difficult to take idealism seriously. All this appears to be is just another, somewhat more focused rant on how the people of the world should all be one big, happy family and stop fighting each other. To be honest, this did come across as a bit naïve. You admonish people for fighting over Ground Zero, Al Qaeda, and the like, but don't tell them what they should do instead. That's the inherent problem with idealism: we're told why something is bad, but not what to do about it. Not one person who reads this will disagree with you, myself included. But at the same time we'll know that our society is a human society, not a utopia, and that while idealism is admirable, we'll always and inexorably fight and argue. It's just what happens.

One more thing.
Turning into her parents’ room and peering around the bed, the tiny sprite stopped, bewildered and suddenly terrified; her mother sat cross-legged in the floor, the phone lying forgotten by her limp hand. Panicked thoughts shot through the girl’s young mind like bolts of lightning, hot and horrifying.

Oh no! Who was it this time? Not Papa Carl!

Wait. Why is the TV out?

The TV was never out unless someone was sick or there was an election or --

Then, in a moment, like an electric shock, it hit. It wasn’t Papa Carl or Grammy or Daddy.

I can't really make anything out of this. Not only is it irrelevant, but you're introducing so many new characters in such a short space that you're leaving the reader dazed and perturbed.

ALSO, you have yet to convince me that you, a first grader at the time, knew exactly what was going on the moment you saw what was on TV. While it might serve the purposes of your article, it isn't realistic at all. How did you know it wasn't a movie or a TV show or something? First graders have this tendency, you know, not to be altogether omniscient.

Well! Hope this helped. Shoot me a PM if you have any questions or comments.

-Kafka
#TNT

WRFF

Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:38 am
Courtlyn says...

Well, I understand you're point about the idealism. It's actually a bit odd for me to hear because, in real life, I'm anything but an idealist. I suppose I am deep down somewhere, but I bury that pretty deep because, well, I've been through a heck of a lot and I don't really "set my hopes and expectations very high." I understand that, but I really wasn't meaning that I we should all just be "one big happy family." I was just talking about the fact that our mourning for those lost shouldn't be fraught with strife. I completely understand the whole human nature aspect of things and it's most of what fuels my realism (ok, pessimism). But I just wish that, sometimes, if only for a moment, we could all put aside our differences to remember. I know it's possible because I've seen it, even in my short life.

On the topic of my remembering and understanding what was happening....well...I just knew. I can't explain it, but I did. Part of the reason, I think, was that I grew up in a less-than-nurturing environment and, even at that early age, I understood a great deal more than most kids several years older. Another aspect was likely the fact of the obvious devastation of my mother. Also, I distinctly remember the banner across the bottom signifying that it was a newscast. It was just one of those things where you just take it all in and it all just hits you faster than you could even blink. I know all that sounds odd, as I was only six, but I can honestly say that I can remember the exact feelings and thoughts that I had in those moments. I remember the night gown I was wearing, the sheets and comforter on my parent's bed, -- everything. It's just as vivid as if it had happened yesterday and I truly recall the full horror of it all. Did I completely understand all the intricacy of it? No. But the thought of it being anything but devastatingly real never crossed my mind.
Idea? Drop me a line!

456 Reviews

Reviews: 456
Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:28 pm
Rascalover says...

Hey,
Thank you for requesting a review; I am sorry I am so late. This was a really power and thought provoking article. You have had some fantastic reviews already, so this is where I am going to stop so I don't become redundant. If you need anotherreview please ask because this wasn't a very long one!

Have a great day,
Tiffany
There is nothing to writing; all you do is sit down at a typewriter and open a vein~ Red Smith

Who needs a review? :) http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic38078.html

896 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 896
Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:44 am
PenguinAttack says...

Hello Courtlyn,

It is epically long since you asked me for a review. Almost an entire month since then, in fact. A lot of that is because I found your story incredibly difficult to get through. The long, shapeless paragraphs pushed my reading abilities to the limit, as the narrative had very little grip to keep it going. I'm aware that this is your take on a childhood experience, but it's not nearly interesting enough for me to push through.

While you begin in third person and move to a more intimate tone, I think you're going about it the wrong way. The immediate third person is boring and not nearly strong enough to keep my attention the entire way through. Keeping first person through the entire piece will ensure you keep your reader's attention and that we're sitting fully in the action of the narration. We'll be far more interested in what your narrator is saying if we know them a little better. We don't need information for that, really, we just need to have the impression that they're someone we know, which is why first person would work very well.

Your best line is, by far; "We started bottling up water in empty milk jugs and letting them sit in the back room for days before we were allowed to drink it." It perfectly expresses the situation and feeling, and has the exact right tone. Had you kept this tone and narrative structure for the entire (too long, in my opinion) piece, you'd have kept more of my attention.

As for the topic of the piece, the concept, I found it somewhat preachy but no more than the other works I've seen on the same topic. Most of that is because I have no interest in the whole thing, it's not something which is important to me. You do convey your feelings firmly and there's no doubt about your opinions on the situation, which makes your piece a success in a way.

To summarise, I'd lose most of the childish expressions. Things like qualifying "something called "Muslims"" was just long and irritating to read through. Just say it straight, as you're not writing in the voice of the child you can use the words of the adult. And, again, I'd stick to first person direct narrative to keep your reader's attention.

I approached this as I would any other narrative. I hope I've helped somewhat. Hit me up if you have any queries. Sorry for it being so late.

- Penguin.
I like you as an enemy, but I love you as a friend.

You sound like you're becoming emotionally involved with the custard.
— Nikki Morgan