Young Writers Society

Lady No Soul (2)

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:23 pm
Twit says...

Spoiler! :
I went back and edited Chapter 1 and changed some stuff, so if something seems weird it could be because of that.

TWO

Dinner is simple; curry with lots of bread and butter and a rice pudding for dessert. Papa and Mama talk to Gabriel about his studies in art school, and Papa asks me how I enjoyed the gallery.

‘Very much, Papa,’ I say, heaping hope upon hope that Mama won’t say anything. Unless she’s told him all about it already—but Papa doesn’t seem cross. He smiles at me.

‘I hear Gabriel is planning to draw you again.’

‘If—’ I dart a glance at Mama, but she’s buttering a slice of bread and doesn’t look up. ‘If you and Mama think it proper, Papa.’

‘Proper?’ He laughs, his eyes squinting up into two dark slits that glitter in the light of the candles. ‘Why shouldn’t it be proper, you goose? There’s no earthly harm in sitting for a portrait.’

I glance again at Mama. She looks up this time and smiles at me. Papa’s laughter has changed to a coughing fit, and he presses his napkin against his mouth, his shoulders shaking. Mama lays her hand on his, and he presses her fingers under his own as though that will help him draw breath. I hate it when Papa coughs like this. Mama keeps on telling him to call the doctor, but Papa’s so stubborn sometimes.

I sneak a glance at Gabriel, but he’s busy spooning curry into his mouth and doesn’t seem to be listening to any of this. He takes a sip of water, pats his mouth with his napkin and says, very brightly, ‘So, has anyone received any of these new-fangled Christmas cards yet? Several of the chaps at the Academy were talking about them the other week.’

Papa manages to take a breath and says hoarsely, ‘How much do they go for?’

‘Oh, they’re only a shilling, Father, and they have a jolly picture on the front.’

‘A jolly picture.’ For some reason, Papa seems to find this funny, and he sips his water, smiling breathlessly.

After dinner is over and Lizzie is clearing the table, Mama says she’s going to bed early with a headache and calls me to her bedroom. I’m impatient, worried that I’ll miss seeing the baby, and I stand stiffly as Mama kisses me goodnight.

‘Oh Chrissy,’ she says. She takes a strand of my hair and pushes it back into my bun. ‘I know you’re still cross about the gallery.’

The warmth of her tone, the fact that she sounds sorry about my humiliation, catches me completely off-guard, and I stare at her in bewilderment. ‘Mama?’

‘But Chrissy, you know you can get very excited, and I don’t want... I don’t want things to get too much for you.’

I chew down hard on the inside of my lip. If I say anything now, she’ll think I’m answering back and get cross.

‘Chrissy?’

She wants me to answer her. I feel a surge of frustration. I can’t seem to win against these rules—they slip and slide in my grasp like a bar of soap.

‘Yes Mama?’

She sits down and pats the bed next to her. I sit down cautiously, but she puts her arm around my shoulders and hugs me tightly. ‘Chrissy, you know that I love you.’

‘Yes Mama.’ I rest my chin on her shoulder and breathe in the scent of her cologne trapped in her dress and the faint smell of soap in her hair. ‘I love you too.’

She releases me. I shift on the bed, but I put my hand on her arm and smile at her. She squeezes my hand like she squeezed Papa’s. ‘Do try to be better, Chrissy. Letting your temper rule you won’t make you or anyone else happy.’

‘Yes Mama, I know. I just...’ I feel awkward, Mama’s intent gaze on my face, my fingers laced tight together in my lap. ‘Sometimes I don’t know how I’m supposed to feel. Sometimes I feel—I feel angry and I don’t know why and then I feel sad and there’s no reason for it and—I will try, Mama.’

‘Pray about it.’ Her hand is back over my own. ‘Ask the Lord to help you and he will.’

I nod silently.

‘And I’ll be praying for you too.’ She leans over and kisses my forehead. ‘Now run along.’

‘Yes Mama.’ I get up slowly, and the bed makes a noise like a summer frog. I hesitate in the doorway, looking back. Mama goes to her mirror and starts taking down her hair. The light from the candle makes shadows under her eyes, lines her profile and brings out threads of gold in her hair; and for a moment, I want to blurt out everything. I want to ask her if Papa’s right and I can sit for Gabriel again. I want to ask her about having children. I want to tell her about seeing Lizzie’s sister’s baby.

‘Chrissy, please shut the door. There’s a draft.’

If I say anything about Gabriel, it might spoil everything. She would say I was too young to be talking about having children. She would think it improper for me to be so friendly with the servants. Lizzie’s not much older than I am, so she’s never really seemed like a servant—more like just a normal girl who happens to spend a lot of time in the same house as I. I know this bothers Mama, but I like Lizzie, and I like that she offered to show me her sister’s baby, even if she really is a servant.

I close the door carefully behind me and go down to the kitchen. Cook’s up to her elbows in soapy bubbles, Lizzie’s stacking plates, and sitting at the table with a baby in her arms is a woman who must be Lizzie’s sister. As soon as she sees me, she stands and bobs a curtsey. ‘Good evening, miss.’

‘Good evening,’ I reply, my eyes at once going to the baby.

Lizzie’s already finished her curtsey and is introducing us. ‘Miss Chrissy, this is my sister Laura.’

‘I’m very pleased to meet you,’ I say, smiling, but she looks down at the floor and shuffles her feet. I feel a prickling heat in my face. What did I say wrong?

I sit down at the table, but this doesn’t seem to reassure her and she stands awkwardly to attention. I swallow, a sinking feeling inside my stomach telling me that this was a bad idea. Mama’s right; I shouldn’t be mingling with this kind of people. Lizzie’s different; I’ve known her almost all my life, but I don’t know what kind of world her sister comes from. She might hate people who live better than she does and consider it an insult that I wanted to see her baby, as though I didn’t have anything better to do of an evening than stare at the maid’s niece.

Well, it’s too late to do much about it now. I lift my chin and smile determinedly at her. ‘What’s your baby’s name?’

‘Lizzie, miss.’

‘Oh, after our Lizzie?’

‘Yes miss.’

‘That’s nice.’ My smile is beginning to pinch my cheeks. ‘Does she have another name?’

‘Another name, miss?’

‘Yes, apart from her Christian name. Does she have a middle name?’

‘No miss.’

Her tone is perfectly polite, but there’s nothing else there. I can’t tell what she’s feeling. She just stands there, the baby held tightly in her arms, her eyes darting here and there under her brows. Her hair is brown, just like Lizzie’s, only streaked with silver. I desperately want to look at the baby, to touch it, but, as stupid as I know it is, I don’t dare ask.

Cook’s finished washing up by now, and after cleaning herself up, she takes her coat and bonnet and lets herself out the kitchen-door. Lizzie’s cleaning the range, but I know from the way her head tilts that she’s listening to my attempts at conversation. Now she turns around and says, ‘Laura, help me with the ashes, will you? They need to be emptied outside and it’s so much easier with two.’

‘What about baby?’ Her hand cups the baby’s head, as though to protect it.

‘I’ll watch it for you,’ I offer eagerly.

‘Well, Miss Chrissy, that’s downright thoughtful of you, that is.’ Lizzie grins at me, and I make a mental knot in my handkerchief to remind me to give her a shilling at my next allowance.

Laura is clearly uncomfortable at this, but there’s nothing she can say, so she carefully places the baby on the table and goes to help Lizzie with the pan of hot ashes. Between them, they ease it out of the stove and carry it out of the door into the dark garden.

The baby kicks in its blanket. I stand up, lean over it and peer into its face. It’s not as round as the babies I’ve seen in the streets, pushed up and down in big black perambulators, but its eyes are very round and blue and it thrashes its arms about, little curling fingers outstretched, as though trying to hold onto something. I put my finger within reach and it immediately latches on, gripping so tightly that I laugh. ‘Hello Lizzie. Lizzie the Second. How are you, Lizzie the Second?’

She stares at me, her eyes like the sky, wandering over my shoulder. Something seems to amuse her and she smiles, gurgling and pulling on my finger, her legs kicking like the tail of a beached fish. I look over my shoulder, expecting to see Lizzie come back in, but there’s no one there.

‘What is it, little Lizzie?’ I touch her small nub nose with the tip of my finger. ‘What is it? What makes you laugh, Lizzie my love?’

There’s a loud bang behind me. I jump, losing little Lizzie’s grip on my finger and whirl around. It’s just the kitchen-door, blown shut by the wind and thudding back and forth on its hinges. I giggle quietly to myself, embarrassed, and heartily glad that no one was watching. I turn back to Lizzie, and my heart explodes like a gunshot.

There’s a man on the other side of the table. I didn’t hear him come in (how could he have got in?) and he’s bending forward, long arms outstretched, reaching for little Lizzie, and his fingers aren’t fingers, they’re claws and his eyes are enormous black holes in a paint-white face and he’s got his claws in little Lizzie’s blanket, drawing her towards him.

I snatch her back from him, the blanket tumbling about in my arms, and Lizzie lets out a wail, high and shrill like a cat. I spin around but there’s another of them, and where his face should be there’s only a mask, glittering red like bloody diamonds, and I can’t see his eyes, but his hands are clawing at me, clawing at Lizzie. I scream, rip away from him. They’re between me and the door leading back upstairs, and there’s nowhere to go, nowhere to go and (oh Lord please don’t let them hurt Lizzie, don’t let them hurt me, help me Lord, help me) they’ve stopped moving, they’re just looking at me, looking at me before they kill me and (oh Lord Lord, please)—

‘Give us the baby.’

I can’t tell which one said it. I can’t hear anything over my heartbeat thundering in my ears. My hands are shaking, and I grip onto handfuls of the blanket. (Mustn’t drop the baby, mustn’t drop Lizzie...)

‘Give us the baby now and we won’t do anything to you.’

I can feel the wall close and cold behind my back. Lizzie’s squirming in my arms, crying, and I cup my hand under her head the way Laura did. I can’t think. Where’s Papa? Where’s Gabriel?

The red mask lunged forward. I scream at the top of my lungs and kick him in the leg, wheel around and make a dash for the kitchen-door, still banging in the night wind. It joins with the pulse beating in my head until there’s nothing left, just Lizzie’s weight in my arms, the hammering noises, the dark mouth of the doorway opening and closing, and I’m there, I’m through, the cold air like a slap in the face, but something drags me back, a hand twisted in the collar of my dress and we’re pulled back, and over the blood roaring in my ears I hear a voice raised like the cry of a fox at midnight.

And then—darkness.

K, I'm very anxious about this chapter, especially the last bit, because I kind of suck at writing action-y scenes and I get the pace all wrong and blah and it sucks. So if you could comment on how well/badly the ending worked, and as always, character impressions and whether you want to read on or not, I'd greatly appreciate it. General rambling is welcomed too. ^_^
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

170 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 170
Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:03 am
Boolovesyou says...

Hey Twit!

I only caught a few mistakes, but you should probably double check your grammar.

Dinner is simple; curry with lots of bread and butter and a rice pudding for desertI don't think you mean dry land. "Dessert.".

Mama lays her hand on his and he You need a comma before the and because if not its a run on sentence.presses her fingers under his own as though that will help him draw breath.

PM me or post on my wall if you have any questions!

-Boo
Milestiba uzvar visu, Milestiba ir upuris.

770 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 770
Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:01 pm
borntobeawriter says...

Twit!

I can't let begging go unanswered: here I am!

That being said, you have such a great way of bringing your characters alive, of making them sounds real. I could completely imagine the dinner scene, and I really love her Papa. He seems like a good guy.

I don't know if you edited the 1st chapter on YWS, so I didn't go back and read. The only major change I noticed was the fact that she baby was now the sister's; not Lizzie's. Is that it? Was that the change?

The mother's change in behaviour was well explained, I think, through Chrissy. You did well, the way you explained her bewilderment.

The last part was amazing. I found my eyes jumping from sentence to sentence, running with her, heartbeat accelerating. Very nicely done, Twit! Wowwee, my friend!

And that is it for this chapter, can't find anything negative to say, and I definitely can't wait to read more!

Soon, k?

Tanya

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:14 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

So, I'll have you know I just opted not to go to the gym but to stay at home and review this instead... flattered?

I. NITPICKS

Dinner is simple; curry with lots of bread and butter and a rice pudding for dessert.

For some reason, "Dinner is simple" strikes me as a cliché, but I couldn't tell you why...

I hate it when Papa coughs like this. Mama keeps on telling him to call the doctor, but Papa’s so stubborn sometimes.

This isn't bad at all- it's fine. But I feel like there's a yet better way to put this across through dialogue or something.

I sit down at the table, but this doesn’t seem to reassure her and she stands awkwardly to attention.

What bothers me is you've hardly mentioned the baby at all, even though that's the reason she came down! xD

Her hair is brown, just like Lizzie’s, only streaked with silver. I desperately want to look at the baby, to touch it, but, as stupid as I know it is, I don’t dare ask.

Even if this is back in the day when people age quicker, if Lizzie is just a few years older than Chrissy, I'm thinking Laura can't be much more than early twenties and even back then surely grey hair is premature- yet Chrissy doesn't think anything of it? It just feels weird.

It’s not as round as the babies I’ve seen in the streets, pushed up and down in big black perambulators, but its eyes are very round and blue

The two rounds are annoying me...
but his hands are clawing at me, clawing at Lizzie. I scream, rip away from him.

Are they actually touching her? I feel like she should describe the touch if so.

And then—darkness.

The action itself is actually fine! But I can't help but feel like this, again, is such a cliché. Not that all clichés are bad, but it's just the easy way out...

II. OVERALL

The whole scene with Laura does feel a little unnatural- especially since Chrissy comes to see the baby and yet doesn't actually look at the child until the two sisters leave... which sort of defeats the purpose of her being down there. So! That bugged me, that she'd just sit at the table and Lizzie would just leave her sitting there too without encouraging her. It feels a bit staged.

Also- regarding her discussion with her mother about her temper- I didn't feel that her temper was that bad? Is this her mother being patronising or actual? If it's the first, I feel like it should be a small bit clearer... but I know that's difficult without breaking voice. But if it's the second, Chrissy's temper didn't seem bad at all. So I'm just... puzzled.

Other than that, good scene! I love the whole baby thing. I get really into these faerie-court things, and they always have to be trying to save a baby, right?

Hope I helped, drop me a note if you need anything!

-Stella x
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

537 Reviews

Reviews: 537
Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:22 pm
Evi says...

Hey Twit! Thanks for the request. :) I did read the first section, but my only comment, really, is to cut back on your use of names within dialogue. Observe any natural conversation and you'll find that, unless they're yelling across a room to get someone's attention, people rarely say each other's names. Mother, Chrissy, and Gabriel all seem to address each other by name an awful lot, even for whatever antiquated time period it may be.

As far as nitpicks, I agree with all of Stella,s plus this one:

I spin around but there’s another of them, and where him face should be there’s only a mask, glittering red like bloody diamonds, and I can’t see his eyes, but his hands are clawing at me, clawing at Lizzie.

By "them" do you see another clawed intruder? If so, clarify that-- I was confused about which "them" we were talking about. Maybe "another of him" would work better since only one kidnapper has been introduced so far.

:arrow: Overall

You said you were iffy about the action scene, and I understand why. It does feel a little stilted. I think you might want to experiment writing that last bit in a different style. Right now you have it sort of stream-of-consciousness, with lots of clauses per sentence and commas and just all-in-all long phrases. I find that all long phrasing doesn't work as well for action scenes (perhaps unless someone's drunk or drugged, but that's another matter!) Try some choppy sentences to intersperse with the longer ones. Also consider showing Chrissy's verbal response. It seems like she should be yelling, screaming, calling for help, begging them to leave her alone, telling them they can't have Lizzie-- something out-loud.

My only other point is that in both chapters, I caution you against making Chrissy's narration too juvenile-sounding. As someone who was 14 only a year ago, I think that 14 is closer to teenager than kid, but I find that her voice and tone sounds closer to a kid than a teenager here. The childlike "Yes Mama", "No Mama". The whole "Do my parents love each other?" worry is pretty simplified for a 14 year old to worry about-- think about it. Most 13-14 year olds are in 8th grade. Most 8th graders take Algebra, which involves graphing slopes, linear equations, and inverse operations. A 13/14 year old girl can handle some complex thought, and, plus, it'll be less tiring on your readers if they can find some intelligence in your MC. ;)

All in all, your writing is very smooth and natural, and you pull off present tense in a way a lot of people can't. I like Chrissy (besides the age thing) and the plot seems very unique! Goblins are definitely a new one! ^_^ PM me for anything and feel free to drop more links in my WRFF thread.

~Evi
"Let's eat, Grandma!" as opposed to "Let's eat Grandma!": punctuation saves lives.

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:56 am
Demeter says...

Twit. Twiiiiit. Twit twit.

I feel a surge of frustration. I can’t seem to win against these rules—they slip and slide in my grasp like a bar of soap.

Usually, Chrissy's voice has sounded quite young to me -- young and adaptive -- but now there seemed to be a complete change in that. Suddenly she sounds older and rebellious, and I'm not sure if that's the intention, but it does stand out quite a lot.

the bed makes a noise like a summer frog

Haha, I like this.

Mama’s right; I shouldn’t be mingling with this kind of people. Lizzie’s different; I’ve known her almost all my life, but I don’t know what kind of world her sister comes from.

Two semi-colons in a row make my heart semi-bleed. =(

Her hair is brown, just like Lizzie’s, only streaked with silver.

Wait, so how old is she actually? She's just had a baby, so she can't be that old -- but still she has silver streaks in her hair?

‘What about baby?’ Her hand cups the baby’s head, as though to protect it.

Should it be "the baby"? Unless it's, you know, no-one-puts-Baby-in-the-corner Baby.

The red mask lunged forward.

Lunged should be plunged should be plunge, right?

Twittwittwit. I liked this. Something happened and it was interesting! :o I think you did a fine job with the ending -- at least I was on the edge of my seat! I should've done this ages ago, shouldn't I? But you know, I've been busy with my chipboard life that is Ikea.

I want to read more now.

Demeter
x
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:45 pm
View Likes
Rydia says...

Alright so another excellent chapter, but you're at least a little right about the action scene. It doesn't feel all that actiony and I didn't get much of an idea of what creatures/ men attacked her, which would be okay if it was all speed and confusion but since it's pretty slow, it all gets a little muddled. I think you need to build the atmosphere more. Think about all the senses, what does she feel, what does she smell. How does the baby feel in her arms, the cotton of the blankets, the warmth of the little bundle. Are the sounds all mingling together, the scuff of feet on wood or are they eerily quiet. Can she hear them breathing, can she hear the girls out in the yard? Does she not think to cry for help, to try and run for the door~? Where are her fight or flight instincts? There's this amazing thing called andrenaline that kicks in and makes your mind think a million times a minute and act even faster.

Also, this is a small room, yes? And filled with obstacles so perhaps you could describe one of her attackers falling over something or maybe she ducks under the table. Action scenes need action my dear, not just screaming and standing and demands. Does a chair get knocked over? The bread pushed off the side? Do these men smell? She's a little lady so she won't have smelled smelly, horrid men too many times before. Do they smell, does she think they are demons?

Just a few ideas which will hopefully help you out! I did think your language flowed beautifully as ever though,

Heather xxx
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

Cheat your landlord if you can and must, but do not try to shortchange the Muse. It cannot be done. You can’t fake quality any more than you can fake a good meal.
— William S. Burroughs