Young Writers Society

Freckles

675 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 675
Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:50 pm
lilymoore says...

Spoiler! :
So, I started out attempting to write a love poem about a boy with freckles, and I mean, he has a lot of freckles. But does it seem less like a love poem and more like a poem about, well, just freckles?

I’ve been trying all night to kiss away your freckles
with every press of my lips to your cheek –
forehead, nose, arms, all over.
I even wasted what seemed a lifetime
in a fruitless attempt to rub away the constellation
that’s resting in the crook of your elbow.
The sun is getting close
and I’m scared that if it does dare rise,
your body will cease to reflect the stars
and the moon that is your mouth will fade away.
What then will I kiss?
Never forget who you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:06 pm
halogirl4197 says...

Aww that's cute. Personally, I do have freckles and if someone wrote this to me, I'd be flattered. Good job! :D
Remember me for who I am, Not for who I was

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:08 pm
Butterfinger says...

Wow, I think you did a wonderful job! Very brilliantly wrote!!! The flow is nice and easy and your word choice makes it so simple yet amazing! Great work!
If you want to be a great writer, don't think about what you're going to write, just write it.

I'm a huge fan of writers block! When your brain halts, with no direction for where you should go, it gives you threads. All you have to do is pull and unravel the story you're meant to write.

498 Reviews

Reviews: 498
Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:04 am
theotherone says...

Hello there, I'm here as requested. :)

I really like this poem, but I feel like you could go on for a little bit longer then what you have right now, am I right? It's like there's not enough for us to actually get into it...

I even wasted what seemed like a lifetime
in a fruitless attempt to rub away the constellations

First off, I think it's better with the like in there, but it might just be me.
Secondly, was there just one bunch of freckles? Or more then that? By the way you portray him as a guy who as a lot of freckles, I would go with constellations.

I really like the poem, it was really sweet, and I don't think you made to much emphasis on the freckles. It was just enough. :)

Keep writing!

-Other One
Behind every mask, lies a man that can't live in his own skin. - Woe is Me <3
Need a reviewer? I don't bite, I promise. :) ---> viewtopic.php?f=188&t=76466

297 Reviews

Reviews: 297
Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:03 am
Justagirl says...

Great poem!

I kind of love it when you mean it to be something then it turns out to be something else. Don't you?

Anyways, I saw no problems with the poem other than that the flow was a little weird. I think you could fix that by breaking up the one huge stanza a bit though, so, no worries. :)
Also, great job. You really got me into this poem by writing a great poem about something so ordinary as freckles (which I, too, have a lot of ;) ), so that's great.

Wonderful job.

Keep writing,
Alzora
"Just remember there's a difference between stalking people on the internet, and going to their house and cutting their skin off." - Jenna Marbles

~ Yeah I'm letting go of what I had, yeah I'm living now and living loud ~

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:34 pm
Rydia says...

There is always time for friends and poetry :)

A good poem you have here and don't worry, I could tell it was about love as well as freckles. It's defineately a love poem, but the freckles metaphor makes it much more interesting. I like it. It would be cool if you played with the imagery a little more though. Here's some comments:

I’ve been trying all night to kiss away your freckles
forehead, nose, arms, all over. [Rather than list so many body parts, it would be better if you describe two or three in just a little more detail. Like: 'your buttoned up nose and your dimpled forehead']
that’s resting in the crook of your elbow. [Beautiful image.]
The sun is getting close
and I’m scared that if it does dare rise, [Starting to sound a little archaic and not as fresh and clear as your other lines. Maybe try: 'and I'm scared that when she dares to rise,' ]
and the moon that is your mouth will fade away. [I'm not sure quite how you got to this. Okay so freckles come out in the sun but shouldn't then the love be even greater since the freckles will be more evident and it's them you love really, right? I loved the constellation image and the sun being close and how it all links into freckles but I think here you're too far out on a tangent and I'm failing to follow you because there just aren't enough branches to get me there.]
What then will I kiss?

The ending is nice, simple and romantic. A good way to sum up the poem. Well I hope this helps you somewhat and thanks for the read, I enjoyed it :)

Heather xxx
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

22 Reviews

Reviews: 22
Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:43 pm
sunxkissedxme says...

This is good! I have a lot of freckles, and I thought this was really pretty, and cute too! You did well, and it doesn't emphasize the freckles too much, it was the perfect amount. Great job!
So many people treat you like you’re a kid
so you might as well act like one,
and throw your television
out of a hotel window.
–Gerard Way

273 Reviews

Reviews: 273
Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:59 am
Explosive_Pen says...

Lileh! Please forgive, I'm so rusty with both poetry and reviewing, but I'll do my very best.

I’ve been trying all night to kiss away your freckles D'aww!
forehead, nose, arms, all over. I agree with Kitty. The list rather detracts from an otherwise nicely flowing poem.
that’s resting in the crook of your elbow. Beautiful<5
The sun is getting close I feel like closer would seem more urgent and thus add more to your poem. Also, I think that here there is a separation from the beginning of the poem. A switch from freckles and body parts to celestial things. This would make a lovely image, but find a way to make it connect, something more along the lines of those aforementioned "constellations."
and I’m scared that if it does dare rise,
and the moon that is your mouth will fade away.
What then will I kiss? Simple, sweet ending.

Lily, your choice of words is simply beautiful and I am always awed by your talent. I definitely could tell that this was about love.
As I have nothing more to say, I will now just acknowledge your brilliance. ;)
"You can love someone so much...But you can never love people as much as you can miss them."

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:21 am
AuthorOfMyLife says...

This was really good! I love how you took something as normal as freckles, and turned it into something so beautiful and romantic.
And like halogirl4197, I have freckles, and if someone wrote this to me, I'd be so flattered too! :)
- Really good job!
Be the change you wish to see in the world.
- Gandhi

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:13 pm
Hibiscus says...

I think it works a lot as a poem about love. I mean, of course it's about freckles, but I think some people can write just about a basketball and it could turn into a love poem. The detail to the freckles seems like the narrator is paying close attention to the person, and that they have a lot of emotions built up inside them for that person. Worry that the sun will rise, that the moon will disappear, that this thing won't last forever. Then there's the obsession with the freckles. But I think it really works well as a love poem.

I dunno, I just have this love of freckles myself, lol. I always wished I had more freckles than I do. And it's such a funny word, isn't it? But I think you did a really good job with this. I liked it a lot. So much so, that when I post this, I will go press the like button and read the poem again.
The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Got Support~?
viewgroup.php?f=336

56 Reviews

Reviews: 56
Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:17 am
Faery007 says...

Hi, My name is Hayley and I will try to review this!

First thing, I loved this, I really did. I enjoyed the comparism between the stars and freckles. Very clever imagery!

I wish it would have been longer, have you thought about extending it? You needn't extend it a lot, just maybe another stanza, like a conclusion.

Sorry for my lame review, :(

HAHA! I just realised I read the title wrong..I thought it said freckles as it "Freck-less" like reckless..I am just an idiot!

Hayley x

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:42 pm
AlmondEyes says...

damn boy yo make me wish i had freckles!! this is a sweet and beautiful. the flow was nice as was what u were using in comparison to her and her feckles. and the name for ur poem was cute. will u chck out a poem just posted? its under narrative poetry and the name is nothing friendly, nothing pleasant
"What is dead my never die, but rises again, larger and stronger..."

*Ride like Lightening, crash like Thunder*

"Ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies..."

"I'd be a quote vigilante. A literary Batman. Someone had better be quoting me now!"
— Feltrix