z

Young Writers Society

Epic Fail

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Sun May 15, 2011 8:46 pm
GirlInTheMirror says...

My name is Jenny Fulton and I’m a murderer.

And no, I’m not some character in a cliché action book. I wasn’t trained by a secret sector of the CIA to become the ultimate weapon, wasn’t genetically engineered with cold blooded killer coded into my DNA, and am NOT some sort of crime-fighting hero. I’m deffinately not a hero. In fact you should stop liking me right now. I mean if you’re gonna listen to the entire story of how I ended up here, then you’re gonna start to hate me at some point anyway.

I’ll start with my first murder. It was raining and I was crying. Visibility was pretty much zilch between the water that was clogging my eyes and the water that was pounding onto the windshield. I kept on driving anyway. Maybe a code for being a murderer did somehow slip into my DNA. Then I’d at least have something else to blame.

Anyway so I was driving across the bridge over Lake Union, drowning myself in stupid self-centered tears. My car’s speedometer was the last thing on my mind. Which was unfortunate considering that it was trying it’s hardest to tell me that I was flying down the road at grand theft auto speeds. You all seem pretty smart so you can probably guess what happens next even though I couldn’t. I hit a slippery patch of road and hydroplaned.

They say that in a time of crisis your senses speed up and that you become more alert. They say that the adrenaline can make people do amazing things like the grandma who lifted a car up to save her grandchild. But that Adrenaline didn’t do didly for me. My mind was racing faster than the car was spinning, trying to remember what I would have known if I’d actually paid attention in driving school. But I couldn’t remember a thing and I panicked and from that point on my mind just spewed a continuous stream of curses. While I was repeating to myself, “Oh shit, oh shit, I’m gonna die,” my car slid into the next lane over. Now this whole-hydroplaning thing only had been happening for a couple of seconds so the car next to me didn’t have time to get away. My car slammed into the other car that I later found out was driven by a nice older man named Mr. Jackson. I never got to properly meet him though because after my car and his car spun around each other, his car rammed through the guard rail and down, down, down, into the ocean. And it should have been me. And now everyone knows it, including all of you.

The ending damage was a minor concussion, some bruising, two totaled cars, and one death. I’m “lucky”, they say, that I have no permanent damage. I’d be luckier if I had some real injuries. Maybe a spinal dislocation that would take weeks of hospitalization to cure and some acute memory loss that would forever keep me from remembering the all too scarring experience. My minor injuries only bought me two weeks before it was back-to-school time. I tried to persuade my Mom otherwise but there’s no sympathy for a monster.

School was hell. Last time I checked teenagers didn’t pay attention to newspapers. I guess things have changed though because everyone read the article detailing how Jenny Fulton did away with Mr. Jackson. Had I known that I’d be the new center of attention I might’ve tried to face myself in the mirror that morning and done something with my frizzy brown hair and giant-pored face. Just two weeks before I would have killed for that much attention. And by that day, I already had.
I guess I should talk about my academic courses since they keep on telling me that the purpose of school is to get an education. Well all of my academic classes equally sucked. Students casted accusing glances at me, my legs couldn’t stop swinging underneath my desk, and I couldn’t distract myself from any of it by actually trying to learn cause I was beyond lost in each class. The last thing that I remember learning about was the Japaneese ritual of Seppuku and how Samurai would kill themselves so that they could restore their honor and their family’s. The class had moved on from thirteenth century Japan to thirteenth century England so I had no idea what was going on. Still, I’d rather sit through one more academic class, anxious and confused as I may have been, then to have gone to lunch.

Normally I eat with my two friends, Alyssa and Meghan. They’re both alright people. Meghan’s nice for three-and-a-half weeks of every month but she’s more yippie than my dog when she PMS’s. Alyssa lies a lot for no apparent reason and sometimes she chews with her mouth open. Still, they’re both nice people. I mean, I could’ve done a lot worse. I could’ve had friends who, when I approached their lunch table on that horrible day, told me in front of everyone that they didn’t want to sit with me anymore. Instead they confronted me in the hall before lunch period started.

“Hey, Jenny,” Meghan said, “Just so you know Alyssa and I aren’t going to eat in the cafeteria today.”

“Oh, ok. Where are we eating?” I ask.

“Well, me and Alyssa were gonna drive over to McDonald’s.”

“I forgot my lunch,” Alyssa quickly added. “We would invite you but we need to drive and we don’t want you to have to worry about being in a car and all that.” I stared at her for a second after she finished and she suddenly became very interested in a scuff mark on the floor.

“Fine,” I say. “I’ll eat with someone else. You chew with your mouth open anyway.”

I swung the door open to the lunch room. The bell had already rung and the student body president was making the daily announcements. Everyone else was sitting at their cafeteria table or standing in the lunch line. Per the school rules, it was silent besides the student president’s squeaky voice. When the lunchroom door slammed behind me all of the students’ heads turned towards me. Their once bored, glossed over eyes perked up when they saw me. They realized that their lunch today would come with a show.

Everyone was dying with anticipation to see what I would do next. Would I pick an empty seat at a random table hoping that I would be accepted? Or would I sit alone at my usual lunch table, the one that my friends would be at had they not abandoned me? Or would I stall either of the above eminent options by entering the lunch line even though I packed a lunch? I looked at someone’s cafeteria tray and noticed that it was breakfast for lunch day, Alyssa’s favorite. Odd that she’d of chosen McDodo’s junk food over her beloved French toast sticks. Right. I looked back at everyone looking at me, and then turned around and left.

I wandered the halls aimlessly for a bit. It was nice to be able to roam, sitting still made me restless. I had to worry about being caught though. Every time I saw a teacher I tried to take more determined steps, acted like I was on official business instead of skipping class. The act worked and the teachers didn’t ever approach me. It was passing other students that became the problem. When they saw me their faces turned cold, their eyes full of accusations. The worst part was that I didn’t just see them once and it was over with. Apparently a lot of students skip class by walking the halls so I’d see them once in one part of the building and then have to face them again in a completely different area. It became unbearably uncomfortable so I left.

I waltzed out of the school’s oppressing double doors and into the great outside. I imagine that the moment had the potential to be liberating but the clouds kind of ruined it. I also had no idea where to go. The only thing within walking distance was home, but I couldn’t risk going there in case my parents came back from work early.

I walked without direction for a while. Getting nowhere bugged me. I decided that I needed to go far, far, far away. I saw a bus and hopped on it. I road it for a bit. The whole motion thing didn’t freak me out as much as I thought that it would. The people freaked me out more. Every time someone glanced over at me I wondered if they knew about what I’d done. There wasn’t a picture of me in the newspaper article so they shouldn’t have. But it felt like they did. Each glance became an accusation which then became an assertion. “Guilty!” Their eyes screamed at me.

I stayed on the bus for two more stops and then realized that I had arrived at my destination of far, far, far, away. I got off the bus and looked up at the bridge, it’s huge intimidating arches cutting through the dark clouds. I started to walk towards the bridge and then stopped. I knew once I reached the bridge there’d be no going back. I stood there for a bit and then decided that I needed to talk to someone so I took out my phone and scrolled through my contacts. Alyssa- No, Dad- No, Meghan- No, Mom- No, Steve- Hell no. He made it clear two weeks ago, right before that drive, that he never wanted to talk to me again.

I called information and asked to be connected to a teen suicide hotline. The lady who worked for information put me through right away. When the suicide hotline worker person picked up the phone, I hung up. It was stupid for me to have called. The phone lines needed to stay open for the people who actually deserved to live.

There was a clap of thunder and it started to rain. And I started to cry. My legs suddenly broke into a full on sprint and I was racing across the bridge. I looked at the guard rail as I flew, waiting for it to change. When the guard rail became bright and shiny, I knew I was there. My head spun, adrenaline pumped. My mind sped as I grabbed hold of the railing. I looked down and saw the far, far, far, away that I’d been waiting to reach. Even though my vision was blurry from the tears and the pouring rain the world reached a point of clarity. This time the scene would end right. The universe would balance. My honor and my family’s would return. I could head towards my proper fate as a Samurai.

A siren shattered through my thoughts. The police arrived early. Didn’t they understand that they were supposed to show up after the suicide? A man in uniform told me to step away from the railing and I was about to disobey when I remembered something very important. I remembered that I wasn’t some sort of hero as the Samurai were. I was doomed to fail. I did as the police officer asked which brings me to here, talking to all of you at this nice Suicide Attempts Anonymous meeting.

All I can say is this; I’m glad that we failed. We wouldn’t be here if we hadn’t.

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Mon May 16, 2011 8:08 pm
Shearwater says...

Hello! I'm here to review as requested.
And yes, I do remember reviewing for you, unfortunately - I don't remember exactly what it was I reviewed. :c
Anyway, I hope that this review is just as helpful to you as the other one was. ^^

Nitpicks/Comments

My name is Jenny Fulton and I%u2019m a murderer.

Okay, normally I'd find this the worst way to open a story, stating what she is and what she does and almost kind of ruining it for the reader and in some cases, it's kind of a rookie move but sometimes it works - in very few cases- but it works if you know what you're doing and I like it here. I do in fact, think it works since it pulls you in, makes he laugh thinking this is going to be back but it's not, it's actually kind of good. lol
Maybe a code for being a murderer did somehow slip into my DNA. Then I%u2019d at least have something else to blame.

I really like your character's voice. She stands out and quite powerful.
The nitpick that I have for this sentence is actually the second part, that 'something else to blame' part. I think you should take out the 'else' in there because it doesn't really make sense. What else was she blaming it on?
Just two weeks before I would have killed for that much attention. And by that day, I already had.

Heh, a bit of humor to make our character seem more real. Interesting but it makes her feel like everything is just a joke.

Overall

Okay, first of all this is a pretty good story. I really did enjoy the narration, your character was quite strong and had a clear voice. However, as I mentioned in the last nitpick, you should be careful with that because it makes her less serious and since you’re writing a story based on a suicide attempt it kind of makes it feel more lightweight and not something that should’ve been taken more seriously. Your call however.

Anyway, I have just a few things to say about this piece in general and I’ll be done. So hang on for me, eh? =)

Firstly, I was wondering why she was crying in the car and exactly what made her so freakishly upset that she ended up in an accident over it. That part was bugging me until I got near the end and she mentioned something a Steven who told her he didn’t want to talk to her anymore. Was that perhaps her boyfriend? Her boyfriend didn’t really play much of a role in this at all and I wish you took some time to elaborate on that relationship there. Did he not visit her when she was in the hospital? Did he not ask if she was alright or do anything or show and care for her? Even if they had a fight, she was involved with a dangerous accident, yes she came out lucky, but shouldn’t he have been shaken up by it?

Also, why in the world are people so angry with her? For example, her friends who just ditched her. Do these people not have hearts? Are they brainless? Exactly “what” is it or what was it that made the entire student body think she did this? Car accidents are called car accidents for reasons, they’re accidents so it wasn’t her fault so why the accusations? Murder by car accident = accusations? Do they know her to be some sort of mental maniac that would like plan that all out? Why point fingers? Actually, after listening to all that I have a feeling you were trying to make everyone hate her for the sake of the story but this wasn’t the best way to go about it actually. Hydroplaning and all, car accident, it just doesn’t lead up in my mind. :/

Anyway, if we brush that part aside and continue looking at the story, I actually didn’t like the whole layout of this. It was her first day back at school and she decides to kill herself based on just one day? I’m sure if I was going to attempt suicide I would wait and plan it out right, observe and then do. Her attempt was kind of childish. Her thoughts needed to be laid out more too, what was really going on inside her head to lead up to all that? I knew it was coming once you mentioned the Seppuku really - but still. Expand her thoughts and emotions a little more instead of giving us her cranky sarcastic thoughts.

As for the ending, her realization came quite quickly and it wasn’t a very good ending. I felt like you were trying to rush it a bit and crammed all her feelings in there. Don’t be afraid of length and add more to this. Details will make it feel more realistic and will give the reader more knowledge. Of course, you don’t have to over-do the descriptions and explanation to the point where it just becomes info-dumping but it should be even between the two. It’s a difficult task but I think given the time, you could pull it off.

Overall, this is a good story, you’ve got yourself a very good theme and lesson, I actually really liked how you didn’t kill her in the end and how you connected it to the samurai thing in the end. But, there are still a few loose ends that you’ll have to tie up. ^__^

If you have any questions, I’m a quick PM away. ^^

Keep writing,
-Shear
There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.
-W. Somerset Maugham

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Wed May 18, 2011 9:45 am
Rydia says...

Why hello there! My apologies for the short delay on this, I've not had a lot of time recently. Alright, I'll give you some of my thoughts and suggestions as I'm reading through and then write out a few more general comments at the end.

And no, I’m not some character in a cliché action book. I wasn’t trained by a secret sector of the CIA to become the ultimate weapon, I [It sounds more dramatic and adds a nice element of repetiton. It will draw your reader in a little more and it's more natural. People think in terms of I all the time/] wasn’t genetically engineered with cold blooded killer coded into my DNA, and I am NOT [Don't do this. It's lame and teenage and it has no place in a story like this. The only time capitalisation works is if it's for comedy effect, like in Terry Pratchett where the character 'Death' speaks in all capitals.] some sort of crime-fighting hero. I’m deffinately defineately not a hero. In fact you should stop liking me right now. I mean if you’re gonna listen to the entire story of how I ended up here, then you’re gonna start to hate me at some point anyway. [The anyway bugs me. It takes away from the line somewhat. Maybe make it 'some point or another' or end it at 'some point'.]

Anyway so I was driving across the bridge over Lake Union, drowning myself in stupid self-centered tears. My car’s speedometer was the last thing on my mind. Which was unfortunate considering that it was trying it’s its [It's= it is. For the possessive, it should just be its. Oddly enough it's the exception to the apostrophe rule.] hardest to tell me that I was flying down the road at grand theft auto speeds. You all seem pretty smart so you can probably guess what happens next even though I couldn’t. I hit a slippery patch of road and hydroplaned.

“Fine,” I say said. “I’ll eat with someone else. You chew with your mouth open anyway.”

I stayed on the bus for two more stops and then realized that I had arrived at my destination of far, far, far, away. I got off the bus and looked up at the bridge, it’s its huge, intimidating arches cutting through the dark clouds. I started to walk towards the bridge and then stopped. I knew once I reached the bridge there’d be no going back. I stood there for a bit and then decided that I needed to talk to someone so I took out my phone and scrolled through my contacts. Alyssa- No, Dad- No, Meghan- No, Mom- No, Steve- Hell no. He made it clear two weeks ago, right before that drive, that he never wanted to talk to me again. [So he's the one that made her upset enough to get into the accident. Does she blame him at all? Maybe just a little bit? Because it's easier to pretend to yourself that you blame someone else, even when you don't.]

Plot

Alright so a few things I was iffy with here. First, I think the children shouldn't all be accusative. You get a variety of reactions to everything. I'm sure some would be more curious, like the event in the lunch hall and others might be sympathetic or confused about their feelings and just refuse to meet her eyes. Some would say that's the worst reaction. There may even be one or two who are oblivious like the stoner kids who just live in their own little world. Though they didn't usually skip school by walking the hallways admittedly. That's a very odd concept for me. They were very strict at our school and there were some teachers who always checked if you should be out of class. They also did checks in the toilets because that was where a lot of skippers hung out but the sensible ones snuck outside of course.

The other thing I wasn't so sure about was your ending. It's a little too abrupt and she said at the beginning that this was her first murder, as if there were more to follow. And then there's not? I thought maybe this would be the story of how someone became a serial killer, trying to re-enact the moment through a crazed need to know exactly what happened, exactly what went wrong. Or just losing it. You need to change your setup since there's only one murder. As for the suicides annoymous meeting, I don't mind that part. Just lead into it the tiniest bit more or embellish it so the ending's not so abrupt.

Description

Could have used some more description to build the atmosphere. Also, reoccurring thoughts. Like what colour was the car she hit? Does she think of the accident every time she sees that colour? What did it sound like when her car smashed into his? Was there a certain smell? Also, touch is a good one. Describe the physical feel of stuff because it lets your reader gain a much stronger picture of what's happening, one that's not just visual but requires them to focus more on the story, put all their thoughts into paying attention to what's going on. You may find this articleuseful.

Overall

I quite liked this. Your character is engaging, the story's eventful and you've got some good scenes in there. I would, however like to see more of how the accident has affected her. She clearly feels guilty but has she blocked it from her mind or does it keep haunting her? Where are the what ifs. The how could I have done it differently? The search for forgiveness. Did she try going to see the family? Did she leave flowers or a card at the site? There's was uproar near where I live once because this drunk guy killed a teenager on his bike around christmas time and then he was seen leaving a card and the parents were angry because they found it an intrusion and they didn't like that he might feel resolved of his guilt or something through the act.

But anyway, just a few things for you to think about. Hope this helps,

Heather xxx
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

Brain freezes are temporary, but milkshakes are forever.
— SilverNight