z

Young Writers Society

Sweet Brother of Mine.

120 Reviews

Reviews: 120
Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:16 pm
Emmzziee says...

Saint George's Hospital for Mental Health

"Open the fucking door! Open the fucking door; somebody, open the fucking door," She screamed, sorrowfully at first, desperately rattling and pulling and jangling at the stupid, pointless door.
"Help me! Fucking dick-lickers, help me! Let me out; please, let me out!" she began to sob when her screams turned hoarse.
No use.
"Fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck," she cried, collapsing against the door and sliding, with her back against the wood.
Wood.
She was in a hospital store-cupboard.
Why was she wasting time?

Looking around; crying only silently this time, she spotted a broken, metal hospital bed perched up against the wall on the far side.
The wall by the other door; the one that held a serial-killing monster lurking somewhere, deeply or closely, in the coldness behind it.
In desperation, she ran at the metal bed and started hacking at one of the legs. It broke suddenly, with a loud clatter as she flung it back by mistake and gasped, her hand over her mouth.
The floor-boards were thudding and creaking ever so slightly. But the shadow under the door was not.
He was there, waiting for any trace of noise. Any second now, any second... One noise, one tiny breathe...

The broken bed had been leaning painfully against Laurie's leg, the sharp point where she had ripped off the metal scoring a bloody hole in her arm.
And that bed suddenly gave way and scrawped a deep scar right from her elbow to her wrist.
BANG, BANG, CLATTER, BANG.

"Shit!" she hissed.
Michael's 6-foot pick-axe verses Laurie's blunt metal pole.
Michael's giant ogre physique verses Laurie's skinny, bleeding body.

Yet pure adrenaline kept her hacking and shoving and whacking, screaming at each blow, at just the speed and energy of Michael's; even though the pole was already slipping from her grasp due to the scarlet blood rapidly oozing out of her arm.
At last there was a space big enough for her to fit through, though splinters of wood tried to pull her back.

"Help me," Laurie screamed again and again at the darkness, "Help me, help me! Help me, help me; help me, help me!"

Everything was wrong. There was no light at the desk of the cheery ward; only enough moonlight to dimly make out walls; a desk... whilst she was running further down, down, down the ward.
Slipping suddenly at the pace she was running, she struggled more to get up. "Help me?" she whispered. The ethereal darkness was getting too creepy for Laurie now. She knew this ward. They never turned out the lights. At least not without several patients screaming for them to be turned back on again...
She knew that.
She'd been here for six weeks by now, at least.
Or maybe she was mental about that, too.
Maybe that was all a lie.

Pausing for a second, Laurie struggled weakly to make her eyes adjust to the darkness.
She tried to stand, but there was too much blood everywhere. The thought that she had lost so much blood already made her dizzy.
But again she regarded the wetness all around her. Had so much blood really soaked through her hospital gown already? It was strange to think that she was even in pain; so frightened, her entire body was numbed.
At last, Laurie's eyes began to see properly as the lump at the back of her head died down.
Her eyes adjusted so fast, however, that she fell backwards in shock at the gruesome sight that lay all around her.

Nurses and patients everywhere; but they were all wrong. Mangled and hacked and bloody. Laurie was the only one, now. Laurie.
Laurie was going to die, tonight.
She opens her mouth to scream - but Michael will hear her, if she screams.
So she runs, instead, keeps on and on and on... down, down, down; tripping, once or twice, over things which she was too horrified to even acknowledge, gasping desperastely.
Under the midst of all of this, however, she did feel a slight sense of freedom; she'd been confined in the area of 40 feet, at most, for at least 6 weeks... and for that, Laurie despised the broken masked creature, lay somewhere further down, in the shadows...
Finally, finally, she came across an emergency exit sign wedged in a corner of a dead ward.
"You killed my amazing parents, you killed my gorgeous baby sister, you killed my best friend... you killed my dignity, you killed my ordinary, fucked-up teenage life," she screamed down the corridoor, crying; "Well, I don't understand why you want me but you're never the fuck going to get me! Mother Fucker! Die, die, die, die, die, die, die!"
Crying, she slammed the emergency exit shut and ran, ran, ran...

The next morning, Laurie was jerked awake, shaking. Her long-since matted, waist-long black locks sprawled all over her. Shifting it out of her face with her arm, she studied the shack she'd found properly, listening intensely.
SMACK! came a sound from near the door, and a note slid under it.

"I WIL L aLLwaYZ n0 weR You R Hi d i NG, La uriE.
FA M ILY NOS AL L."

And underneath that note, a picture was clipped to it. An extra note was scrawled onto the back. "You r fAKe fam iLY Is dEad coz I KILLeD THem So rr y. I AM Your broTHEr you are my beauTIFUL Baby Sisster l0ts 0f L0Ve xx x x x xxx"

The picture was of a young, grinning boy; clutching a chubby-cheeked baby whom had dark, curly locks and gorgeous blue eyes. For the first, crazy moment, for want of a happy thought before her real thoughts kicked in, Laurie smiled.
That was not Laurie. Laurie was not beautiful.

When her mind began to work again, however, she pulled out a crumpled photograph of her, as a three-year-old child with slightly faded, but still very deep blue eyes; and shoulder-length messy black curls. With that she wondered why she'd ever seen any pictures of her before that age. And then she looked at her Mum and Dad. Properly.
Both were blonde, though her Father was a little darker.
Her Dad's dull green-grey eyes were unvisible, as he was looking down at Laurie and laughing.
Her Mum's eyes were sparkling; a great glittering greeny colour; and her amazing curvy body was at a preening angle.
Laurie clutched her skinny body and rocked, weeping, "I miss you, I miss you, I miss you Goddamn liars."

This hasn't been written in any special writing style or anything; it probably sounds a little strained, in parts. But I really need some help in writing 2nd person :) (this is 2nd person, right?) :D
Please tell me if you understood this, too. Thank youuu :)
PS ;) A pick-axe is another word for a really big axe, right? ;)
Last edited by Emmzziee on Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I want to play a game.

77 Reviews

Reviews: 77
Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:18 pm
PandaAiKorai says...

Ah, referring to the serial killer in the point of view of the little sister. This seems like a cynical version of the storyline, haha. I liked this a lot. Oh, by the by, it's third person in which you were writing. Second person is like this, "You walk through the corridor, and you see a black cat...".

There are, as there always is, a few nitpicks that caught my eye.

Michael's axe, verses Laurie's blunt metal pole.

Michael's giant ogre physique, verses Laurie's skinny, bleeding one.

There doesn't need to be commas. Also, instead of using the word "one", use the word "body". It will flow better. I also noticed that you said,

a Emergency Exit

You see the error here, haha.

At any rate, look this over. This is very nice indeed.

~Panda;;
Southern hospitality just ain't what it used to be...

...Ain't what it used to be...

205 Reviews

Reviews: 205
Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:45 pm
Kagi says...

Hey Emmzziee. Thanks for posting on my WRFF thread, I appreciate it. Anyway, on to your review as requested.
Thanks for choosin general fiction. Something that I like to review at last. Ever since I put up the thread all I've got is fantasy. Ugh. So thanks. I really should start reviewing now shouldn't I?
Ok.
Here--->>

I'll start with grammar.

Emmzziee wrote:
"Open the fucking door! Open the fucking door; somebody, open the fucking doorI know you want to get across the MC's anger here but this line is a bit too repetitve. It's like a badly scratched C.D That's only my opinion though," She screamed, sorrowfully at first, desperately rattling and pulling and jangling at the stupid, pointless door.
"Help me! Fucking dick-lickers, help me! Let me out; please, let me out!" she began to sob whenAs her screams turned hoarse. her screams turned hoarse.
No use.
"Fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck," she cried, collapsing against the door and sliding,No comma here. with her back against the wood.
Wood.
She was in a hospital store-cupboard. This is confusing. Why is she there? Is that her vision of her ward or what? A little detail here is lacking.
Why was she wasting time?

Looking around; crying only silently this time, she spotted a broken, metal hospital bed perched up against the wall on the far side.
The wall by the other door; the one that held a serial-killing monster lurking somewhere, deeply or closely, in the coldness behind it.
In desperation, she ran at the metal bed and started hacking at one of the legs. It broke suddenly, with a loud clatter as she flung it back by mistake and gasped, her hand over her mouth.
The floor-boards were thudding and creaking ever so slightly. But the shadow under the door was not.
He was there, waiting for any trace of noise. Any second now, any second... One noise, one tiny breathe...

The broken bed had been leaning painfully against Laurie's leg, the sharp point where she had ripped off the metal scoring a bloody hole in her arm.
And that bed suddenly gave way and scrawped a deep scar right from her elbow to her wrist.
BANG, BANG, CLATTER, BANG.

"Shit!" she hissed.
Michael's 6-foot pick-axe verses Laurie's blunt metal pole.
Michael's giant ogre physique verses Laurie's skinny, bleeding body.I like that line. It adds a bit of humour in a really scary part of the story.

Yet pure adrenaline kept her hacking and shoving and whacking, screaming at each blow, at just the speed and energy of Michael's; even though the pole was already slipping from her grasp due to the scarlet blood rapidly oozing out of her arm.
At last there was a space big enough for her to fit through, though splinters of wood tried to pull her back.

"Help me," Laurie screamed again and again at the darkness, "Help me, help me! Help me, help me; help me, help me!"

Everything was wrong. There was no light at the desk of the cheery ward; only enough moonlight to dimly make out walls; a desk... whilst she was running further down, down, down the ward.
Slipping suddenly at the pace she was running, she struggled more to get up. "Help me?" she whispered. The ethereal darkness was getting too creepy for Laurie now. She knew this ward. They never turned out the lights. At least not without several patients screaming for them to be turned back on again...
She knew that.
She'd been here for six weeks by now, at least.
Or maybe she was mental about that, too.Maybe she was too mental to think start now too sounds and fits better.
Maybe that was all a lie.

Pausing for a second, Laurie struggled weakly to make her eyes adjust to the darkness.
She tried to stand, but there was too much blood everywhere. The thought that she had lost so much blood already made her dizzy.
But again she regarded the wetness all around her. Had so much blood really soaked through her hospital gown already? It was strange to think that she was even in pain; so frightened, her entire body was numbed.
At last, Laurie's eyes began to see properly as the lump at the back of her head died down.
Her eyes adjusted so fast, however, that she fell backwards in shock at the gruesome sight that lay all around her.

Nurses and patients everywhere; but they were all wrong. Mangled and hacked and bloody. Laurie was the only one, now. Laurie.
Laurie was going to die, tonight.
So she runs, instead, keeps on and on and on... down, down, down; tripping, once or twice, over things which she was too horrified to even acknowledge, gasping desperastely.
Under the midst of all of this, however, she did feel a slight sense of freedom; she'd been confined in the area of 40 feet, at most, for at least 6 weeks... and for that, Laurie despised the broken masked creature, lay somewhere further down, in the shadows...
Finally, finally, she came across an emergency exit sign wedged in a corner of a dead ward.
"You killed my amazing parents, you killed my gorgeous baby sister, you killed my best friend... you killed my dignity, you killed my ordinary, fucked-up teenage life," she screamed down the corridoor, crying; "Well, I don't understand why you want me but you're never the fuck going to get me! Mother Fucker! Die, die, die, die, die, die, die!"
Crying, she slammed the emergency exit shut and ran, ran, ran...

The next morning, Laurie was jerked awake, shaking. Her long-since matted, waist-long black locks sprawled all over her. Shifting it out of her face with her arm, she studied the shack she'd found properly, listening intensely.
SMACK! came a sound from near the door, and a note slid under it.

"I WIL L aLLwaYZ n0 weR You R Hi d i NG, La uriE.
FA M ILY NOS AL L."

And underneath that note, a picture was clipped to it. An extra note was scrawled onto the back. "You r fAKe fam iLY Is dEad coz I KILLeD THem So rr y. I AM Your broTHEr you are my beauTIFUL Baby Sisster l0ts 0f L0Ve xx x x x xxx"

The picture was of a young, grinning boy; clutching a chubby-cheeked baby whom had dark, curly locks and gorgeous blue eyes. For the first, crazy moment, for want of a happy thought before her real thoughts kicked in, Laurie smiled.
That was not Laurie. Laurie was not beautiful.

When her mind began to work again, however, she pulled out a crumpled photograph of her, as a three-year-old child with slightly faded, but still very deep blue eyes; and shoulder-length messy black curls. With that she wondered why she'd ever seen any pictures of her before that age. And then she looked at her Mum and Dad. Properly.
Both were blonde, though her Father was a little darker.
Her Dad's dull green-grey eyes were unvisible, as he was looking down at Laurie and laughing.
Her Mum's eyes were sparkling; a great glittering greeny colour; and her amazing curvy body was at a preening angle.
Laurie clutched her skinny body and rocked, weeping, "I miss you, I miss you, I miss you Goddamn liars."

Ok all in alll your grammar wasn't that bad. You had a few minor problems with comma's but I think that was mainly typo's. A good spell-check and edit should fix most of the problems in your story as far as I could see. Some basic punctution was missing as in some easy full stops and exclaimation marks were a miss in places.

Your descripion wasn't that great. We know nothing of the girls real terror or then the swearing used. Even that doesn't show is any depth or emotion. In so many places you left everything blunt. You could have continued, giving the story more depth and also answering a few of the questions that run through your mind as you read this like-Why is she even in the mental home? Why is she locked in a store cuboard? How did her parents die?
All these things were just blatantly unclear. You stopped abruptly in the middle of explanations sometimes, words were choppy in places and the flow was bumby all round. I don't have a problem with the description you put in because what you have is generally very good but there could be so much more. It has so much potential. By adding a few adjectives and some imagery I think it will really make the story come to life. Don't be afraid to go over board with some words. Not OTT or anything but just show your talent. Let the world see your skill.

The plot was enjoyable. Sometimes I got a bit confused. The note for one. Was it from the serial killer? Did this michael guy go around killing everyone in the hospital? Again if that was so a lot of description was needed there as it was left very vague. The pace was good. You didn't rush through the climax or anything which does earn you a brownie point. Maybe. ;)

Imagery is mainly the same as what I said for description. Your work needs that extra bit of depth that will help it sem more real.

The word choice again was ish. Mainly it was swear words which didn't give us an inlook to how she was feeling. Any speech that was used was repetitive and didn't show anything about Laurie's charachter. That's important, make sure we know what the MC is feeling. After all, she is the person we want to know about. All the why,where,what,who and how's are vital in a piece like this.

I can't really offer anymore of my amazing advice ;) as I think I mayb have run out. Don't be disheartened by this, just run a quick spell check, add in a few adjectieves and use more description. They are onlybasic probelms and nothing to worry about. This is very good and has great potential.

Keep trying,
Kaka x
Got YWS?

If, when you mean to type yes you type yws, you know you belong. :P

Reviews: 2
Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:14 pm
GoldfishBurrito says...

I don't know how repetitive I'm going to sound, because the previous review looks pretty damn comprehensive, but overall I really enjoyed your piece. It had quick, steady pacing and you managed to organically include exposition into a super-intense chase scene. I'm not really sure where this is going, which is awesome. Uncertainty and surprises are what turn pages. I really just have two minor problems:

So she runs, instead, keeps on and on and on... down, down, down...

The rest of the piece was past-tense, but this little bit here was present-tense. Just a small grammatical issue that needs fixing. Also, the repetitiveness of some parts bothered me. I know it's a stylistic choice, but it slows down the narrative and the dialogue. Especially with curse words. While it may be realistic for a character to curse like that when in this particular situation (I certainly would), a long string of FUCKs across the page isn't very attractive.

That's all I've got. I'm pretty new at writing, so my insight isn't exactly keen. Keep up the good work!
Dear NASA: If it's not aliens, I don't care.

People find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right.
— Albus Dumbledore