Wishes Enveloped In Paper Aeroplanes

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:20 pm
iceprincess says...

Wishes Enveloped In Paper Aeroplanes

Icarus, can't you forget your wings?

“A packet of Marlbolos, please.”

Nothing like some cigarettes to start the day off.

A pair of crinkly, overworked paws slap my guilty pleasures on the clear glass cabinet. Beady black eyes, as hardened and tired as the hands to which it was of the same entity, rake over and take in all gangly five foot ten inches of me.

It (well, him) does not need to ask me to know that this is illegal, but he also knows that I will not be the first or the last underage teenager to buy stuff that they shouldn’t be buying.

At least he’s not into crack. I can almost hear the rusty cogs whirring in its brain and forming this thought as it gives an imperceptible sigh. Passing the cash over (he snatches it, since it's probably worth more than his measly salary; and greedily counts the amount, the green reflecting in his long-gone eyes), I tip my head, grateful that he didn’t try to lecture me on things he knows that no-one can control.

And then I was out of the newsstand, its self-proclaimed automatic doors swinging close behind me.

Stuffing my cigarettes into the pack pocket of my worn-out jeans, I stare up at the murky morning skies that promised hours worth of entertainment sooner or later. That is, if you count being in the rain and dodging raindrops that were unwished for as being something “fun”.

Even thinking about the upcoming storm gave me shivers down my spine. Then where was I to go? I sure as hell am not going back to Aunt Matilda, not that I’ve finally had a damn day all to myself. The old diner down the street, with its thugs and ugly arguments, wouldn’t welcome me unless I had the tattoos to prove my worth. Starbucks and the new shopping mall aren’t the best places to relax undisturbed; nor did the kiddies’ playground hold any attraction for me.

And I have no intention to go back to the old cherry tree. Not with me and Will being so awkward. Hell, I don’t even think I want to see him right now.

I weigh my options. It is either shopping mall or kiddies’ playground, and since simpering girly-whirlies picking out perfect outfits for strange occasions just doesn’t do it for me, I set off for the playground, dragging my frozen feet along.

There is not a slight breeze to stir the sleepy town; the sun had decided it wanted a day off, sulking about its minimum wages and whatnot. It is me, and only me that still moves through the silent streets.

The realisation of this sends me tumbling, head over heels, hands outstretched, as if my long legs tangled and nestled against heaps of leaves once belonging to some tree (reminders of happier times, my mind whispers; I hush it---).

Like the times, it continues, blatantly betraying my wishes, when Will and you still sat on the branches of the cherry tree, pointing at Andromeda and Caelum and Draco and how they all connected to each other in some obscure way, fingers almost brushing and bodies leaning into each other; “Oliver, would you look at that man!”, shooting stars not quite as bright as the boy sitting next to you and grinning, your heart pumping and racing, fervently wishing for your wish to come true, Goddamn it---

That’s enough. Stop it, I told the secret part of me that spews nonsense metaphors and clichéd sentences, feet never stopping, carrying me to the playground.

Bent, drunken trees, all quiet and defeated, leer at me as I pass by. They know that they will have to survive another cruel winter without their usual green plumage and feathery companions to sing their sweet songs. I try my best to ignore the nagging melancholy that exudes from them, but their self-pitying sadness annoys me to no end.

“You think this is bad?” I tell them. There isn’t any reply; and I certainly did not expect them to answer me back. “You bastards. You’ve only got three months or so of loneliness until you blossom again, with even more of those leaves. If winter comes, can spring be far behind?”

I shake my mop of pathetic bristle that tried to pass off as normal human hair, disgusted at their evident wallowing. “You don’t even need leaves to survive, for Christ’s sake! If you truly knew what constitutes real loss, then I’ll be damned!

“You at least can have your lovely leaves back soon, you ungrateful idiots. You will never know how awful it is to be alone and unloved by those you love the most. Now straighten up and be a man!” I shout, noticing with detachment that my hands were clenched, fingernails digging painfully into old scars.

A stray dog derisively snorts at my over-dramatic insults, and shows a tree just what it thought of their species. I turn around, not wanting to see it do its business, and continued on my walk to the kiddies’ playground. The autumn wind howls like a beast in pain, but my feet continues to trudge onwards and onwards though places and sights that I haven’t seen in quite a while. Years, in fact.

Clovelly Primary, the unnamed ice cream parlour ‘round the bend, Jon’s Video Game Box and other shops all already forgotten stand silently, dreading the arrival of the chilly rain. Memories pop out of nowhere and drown me slowly but surely, and I know that I will degrade into nothing but that once-man slaving away in the newsstand if I keep on reminiscing of days spent and pennies spent on zonking zombies out of existence and licking ice creams and dirty fingers clean.

The town bell clangs once, twice, three times, reminding me that I have already spent a whole hour wandering the streets while looking like the archetypical adolescent boy with his faded sneakers that suspiciously look like fake Converse.

I pick up my pace, passing toy shops and boutiques already populated with giggling girls this early in the morning. The too-vivid memories and figments of my imagination do not bother me, and I almost start whistling (who was it that taught you how to whistle? It slyly says. Damn, stop it---).

The gentle creaking of the swings greets my arrival, and the playground looks much shabbier than the one imprinted into my mind. It isn’t much; with only a roundabout, two swings, some slides and a seesaw that could barely fit two small children on it, even the playpen in the nursery-cum-kindergarten looked more fun.

But it is just right for someone like me; and I stood on the edge, feet standing in the very place I once stood a whole lifetime ago. From here, you can see the view pretty well; those unnamed hills still looms over the playground, casting shadows all around and giving the whole place a sense of melancholy, as if they knew once-children would defile and graffiti this place of innocence.

Shut up, brain.

ஜ♠♥♣♦ஜ

“You are going to live with some relatives in Clovelly, right after the funeral,” the woman from Child Welfare fixed her cold, uncaring eyes on you.

In retrospect, it was the best thing anyone could have done. There wasn’t much to bury anyway; your drunkard of a father made sure that both him and Mum would be enclosed in a casket instead of a normal coffin when he drove the car right off the cliff. Pretty much no-one was left on both sides of your family, and the responsibility of bringing up a somewhat troublesome boy naturally fell onto the frail shoulders of your Great-Aunt Matilda.

Of course, you did not appreciate being forced to spend the rest of what remained of your childhood and the beginning of my adolescence with a senile old bird who seemed not to understand the nature of young boys.

“I told you, I’m already eleven years old! I don’t play in playgrounds anymore, Aunt!” you insisted and sulked all the way to the supposed brand-new Clovelly Playground.

She peered at you through her half-moon spectacles, and said firmly, “It’s perfect for a small boy your age, dear. Beside, you’d get to know new friends!”

And there you two stood, on the edge of the crowded playground, mums and dads all watching on as their children frolicked in the lazy afternoon sunshine, looking more content and happy than the children themselves.

“Go on, Oliver,” Aunt Matilda gave you a gentle push, and you complied, though not willingly.

A boy, who looked around your age, boldly came up to you, his mousey hair tousled; curiously peering at the new boy in town. “Hullo! I’m William, Will for short,” he held out a hand and a grin that seemed to be stretched all over his face. “What’s your name?”

“Oliver.” you whispered, shyly looking at the ground, your face slowly flushing.

“So Oliver,” he laughed, clapping you on the back, “Would you like to fly?”

Your eyes bulged out of my eye sockets. “Fly? Really?”

You had always wanted to fly, especially after watching a documentary about the Wright brothers. Grown-ups had either implied or straight out told you that it was impossible, unless you study hard and become a pilot. But here it was, a boy you had just met offering me a chance to see the sky, and how could you refuse?

Will winked. “Course you can.” Turning serious, he said, “But can you figure out where the Evening Star is? My Pa’ says that we pilots have to figure out some constellation-thingamajigs to navigate or something.”

You immediately deflated. “No.”

“S’okay! I’ll teach you how,” and he grabbed your hand, pulling you down the streets to his “secret hideout” to teach you the secrets of the stars.

Will’s “secret hideout” turned out to be nothing than a big cherry tree with an alarmingly large rabbit-hole in the back. And as he pulled you up the tree, you were blushing like a ninny (as Will would describe it years from then), your skin tingling at the touch of his hand against yours.

That kicked off what seemed a close and everlasting friendship, with mornings at school kicking football, afternoons at Jon’s Video Game Box zapping ugly monsters and evenings up in your cherry tree, watching the stars turn.

ஜ♠♥♣♦ஜ

The once gaily painted swings looks even more dull under the gloomy sky, but it, in its decrepit state, still lull me forward to sit in its wings. I start rocking to and fro, not really caring whether my feet would leave the ground, and a hand sneaks my secret out of my back pocket.

The lighter ignites, and the bittersweet scent of menthol cigarettes fills the air. Puffs of smoke swirl towards the sky as I inhale and exhale, fingers tipping the dust onto the ground; I swing lower and lower, until my feet rests right on the dirt and ashes.

It does not matter to me as I stamp out the last embers of my cigarette. No-one would sweep the playground anyway; it was probably abandoned as children grew up and became the young, violent men and women of tomorrow.

As if reminding me of the childhood I had left behind, a paper aeroplane soars with the wind and does an emergency landing right at my feet.

Who was it that taught you to fold paper airplanes, Oliver?

This time, I didn’t bother to reply.

ஜ♠♥♣♦ஜ

“Oliver!” Will panted your name out loud as he raced up to walk with you after school, sending shivers down your spine in a very good way. “Do you remember what day it is?”

Of course you remembered; he’d been going on and on about it a whole month ago. “It’s the summer solstice,” you obediently answered, smiling at the prospects of the special ceremony you two were going to do.

He showed you that (in)famous grin of his, a hand sneaking up into that unruly mess of chocolate hair which would last perpetually into his late teenage years. “Right as always!”

A bubble of happiness welled up in your throat. If only you could reach out and hold his hand once more --- then everything would be perfect. Even then, a F-minus on your book report didn’t pull you down; you practically bounced along with Will to your cherry tree.

You two had been preparing for days for Midsummer. Delicate paper lanterns, lit up with real candles, hung on each and every branch of the cherry tree; all depicting the day when you and Will would finally fly, with Leo saluting and leading the way. Your Aunt’s delicious cranberry tarts were securely sheltered in a hollow decorated with bits and pieces of crepe paper (stolen from the arts and crafts lessons at school). And last but not least, a set of crayons and some lined notepaper hastily torn from school notebooks waited for the both of you at the very top.

As soon as the sun set, you two crept out of the rabbit-hole, leaving your piles of homework behind (which could fit more than just two young boys inside).

“You sure this’ll work, Will?” you hesitantly ask while slinging a leg over a particularly prickly branch.

He pulled himself up and reached for the paper and crayons. “Course it will. If we wish hard enough,” he grunted, “Anything can and will happen.”

Your heart suddenly accelerated its pumping. “Anything? Anything I wish for?”

“Sure. Anything, even flying with the aeroplanes.”

What Will didn’t know, was that there was actually something that you wanted even more than flying. And as you drew the image of your deepest wish onto the paper, trying not to let Will see, you found yourself chanting out loud, “Please work, please work, please work,”.

Your best friend mistook it as a sign of how desperate you were for flying. “Careful there, mate!” he laughed, delighted at your enthusiasm, “Don’t over-do it, or else this wish’ll be jinxed.”

You gave him a hopeful smile. “I won’t.”

And two pairs of hands deftly folded the pieces of paper into Nakamura Locks, enveloping the supposedly twin wishes inside, hands already used to creasing and bending, manipulating plain paper into twin aeroplanes ready to carry dreams and wishes to whoever that would grant them.

Unfortunately, none of those wishes ever were granted.

ஜ♠♥♣♦ஜ

I fiddle with the paper aeroplane in my hands, suddenly not quite interested in my cigarettes. All it really did was calm my frazzled nerves, but the voice in my head slithers out, enticing me to take the apple from its scaly tail. Open your eyes, it hisses. Damn angels and how things have to go their way somehow.

On a whim, I open the crinkled piece of paper, making it bare all its dirty secrets to me. Yet it is not what I had expected; no swear words angrily scratched, no scribbled quadratic equation.

Two crayon matchstick figures held hands, their puckered-up mouths awkwardly touching. A red heart encircled the bright-eyed lovers, and beside the crude picture were words so eerily similar that they echoed wishes made long ago --- “Jim <3 Alexa forever and ever!”.

A cigarette falls from my curled talons.

Icarus, try your wings.

It is time.

ஜ♠♥♣♦ஜ

It was four years after that fateful Midsummer’s Day, four years since you’ve been gathering the courage, the thrift needed to push you up into the sky or down to the ground. Four years since you’ve known better. Four years since your wish had grown more and more desperate.

“Will?” You loved the sound of his name against your undeserving lips.

He looked at you. “What, man?”

God, how stunning he looked in the dimming sunlight. Those high cheekbones, so pale and fair; how you longed to brush your fingers across them, feel the gentle softness of his skin. His emerald eyes that drew you in, stunning boys and girls, so gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous---

“Oliver? Hello, Earth to Oliver?” A strong hand waved in front of your eyes, breaking your trance, forcing you to notice the red plumpness of his full lips, the way his Adam’s apple bobbed up and down when he talked---

You were dazed like a damn lovesick fool, and all your senses focused on what made Will so…Will. “Damn this,” you muttered, and bent down and pressed your cracked lips to his flabbergasted ones.

ஜ♠♥♣♦ஜ

The sudden pain hits me like a punch to the gut; it sends me reeling, queasy, and all I want to do is to retch all my memories and paper aeroplanes down onto the alphabet-gravel ground.

Stop it, I beg the voice, it’s enough.

No-one replies, and I see with detachment that my hands are struggling to light the cigarette, but it fails anyway.

Stop this whining, it whispers, and face it like a man. Like those trees.

Fly like Icarus, and soar.

I am pulled back into the cesspool of broken hearts, snapshots and rabbit holes of my own will.

ஜ♠♥♣♦ஜ

It was like finally drinking water after eons of drought, and unlike what most pop songs claim, his lips did not taste like honey and milk, but rather of marshmellows and vanilla.

It did not upset you when he finally pushed you away; you were in this dreamy, kaleidoscope world with only you and him and Oliver and Will and no one else.

“What the hell, Oliver---“ he started to protest, but you shushed him, determined to tell him the very thing you knew so long ago, on that playground.

“I don’t know what the hell’s wrong with me, but I just want you to know this, Will.” You took a deep breath, mustering all that was left in your soul, and said those three words. Never before had you bared your soul, with its lurid fantasies and dark nightmares, to someone so openly; much less declare a confession that felt like a death note stuck to the back of your throat.

Things went downhill soon after that.

ஜ♠♥♣♦ஜ

I swear I could have heard something break inside me when those translucent salty (unmanly) tears finally slid out of my eyes and onto my cheeks, blurring both my sight and the two matchstick lovers’ kiss.

Hands shaking and crumpling the damned paper, I gulp down howls and watch my claws clench onto the former paper aeroplane.

Fly, Icarus; this is not yet the end.

ஜ♠♥♣♦ஜ

Days passed with him not caring and you so ashamed. Nothing happen between you and him; at least, that’s how Will wanted it to be. Of course you cowered and obeyed his will, because you were afraid that he would turn his back on you and then--- what then?

“Can you see Orion's Belt?” Will said nonchalantly, handing the binoculars over. He hadn’t said your name out loud ever since last time.

There was absolutely nothing in the sky. “Sure I can,” you said.

He did not ask where like he always used to, with freckles stretching all over his face, but what else could you do? All you wanted was to recover a tenth of your lost friendship. It was your fault, your fault, your fault. If you hadn’t kissed him, if only you hadn’t fell for him, if only you’d never met him --- and that thought torments you even more.

As you drifted off in your head, an oh-so-familiar but now so strange voice broke you out of your reverie. “I’m seeing Ashleigh right now,” Will said, flipping through one of the many books about constellations. “She sure is a hot babe, just like you said.”

He threw his head back and laughed, laughed in that special way only William Rossi could. You cherished the jingling sound of it once, but now it was the ugly death knell.

You knew that he could see the tears sliding down your face, but it was way past the times when you could buy him an ice-cream and give him one of your most treasured trading cards and sit together in the afternoon without thinking of his lips against yours.

Despondent, you let yourself slide down the tree, and Will lets you go anyways. Nothing was left after that damn kiss; you and him knew it as clearly as the mocking grey sky.

ஜ♠♥♣♦ஜ

I once heard from some teachers at school that a man can only truly know what kind of man he is through enduring pain and strife. Funny how they ended up teaching a bunch of kids that couldn’t understand, sneaking the odd cigarette in the teachers’ lounge without the principal knowing. Their hands shake each and every time they take their precious drug out of their back pockets, just like how my hands are now.

This is it, I told myself, no more walking down that damned memory lane. Icarus has flown and fell. The curtain has fallen, the play has ended and Eve has eaten her apple.

Distraught tremors quiver under my skin, and I lift up the lighter, knowing what my final task here in this closed playground would be. The cogs turn and wheels push against each other, but the voice comes to me a last time.

Icarus, you are not finished yet.

A final memory awaits.

ஜ♠♥♣♦ஜ

It is still Midsummer, a whole lifetime away. You swing your bare legs along to the rhythm of the tune that Will is humming, and you ask him, “What is love, anyways?”

He stops whistling and gives you a bug-eyed look. “Love is love, idiot. There’s no explanation. It was and is and always will be, existing even before Time. Not even the Evening Star can stop it from happening. In a sense it’s kinda like fate, I guess. You can't get to the bottom of it, you know what I mean?”

Just like the way the sun always shines in his hair, you think to yourself. Just like the way he grins and makes a distant ball of swirling gas only a small spot on the vast expanse of blue canvas dotted with millions of stars.

It doesn't make any damn sense.

ஜ♠♥♣♦ஜ

The first few drops of rain splatter on my hoodie, but I ignore their wretched dampness as I fold the paper aeroplane as neatly as I can, even though it was just crushed and squashed to bits mere moments ago. “Goodbye,” I whisper, and with all the strength I could, I throw the Nakamura Lock into the murky sky, with wishes so many I doubt the aeroplane can hold it in.

It sort of drops to the ground as I let it go, but the breeze catches its wings, setting it off shakily, reminding the aeroplane that it still has a long way to go until it finally completes its sacred mission.

I am comforted by the fact that this plain, quickly fashioned messenger is not alone; the accompanying rain will send it on its way, and with a bit of luck, the paper aeroplane will soar long enough to reach the horizon and perhaps, the end of a rainbow.

Spoiler! :
I wrote this for Skins's She's the Man contest and hopefully it isn't as crappy as I think it is. Please do tear this story apart, and I hope you'd enjoy it! :D
Last edited by iceprincess on Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:35 pm, edited 5 times in total.
you'll never find another sweet little girl with sequined sea foam eyes
ocean lapping voice, smile coy as the brightest quiet span of sky
and you're all alone again tonight; not again, not again, not again.
and don't it feel alright, and don't it feel so nice? lovely.

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:02 am
parigirle says...

Hi there, I'm Pari!(:

First, let me get this out of the way:
Oh. My. God. I absolutely loved this. :) I'm a sucker for heartbreak, and the story was just so well-crafted. Your imagery is vivid and your writing style is fresh and exciting. All in all, this is amazing.

Of course... you did ask for harsh reviews, so I'll try my best to help you improve.

Nitpick time! There aren't many real mistakes, but there are just a few sentences which I want to point out:
Beady black eyes, as hardened and tired as the hands to which it belonged, rake over and take in all gangly five foot ten inches of me. I found this a little odd. Beady back eyes... as the hands to which it belonged. Eyes belong to hands? I'm not sure how to rephrase that, but it's awkward. The whole sentence is a little uncomfortable, so I'd take out the 'as hardened... it belonged' or somehow split it into two sentences.

The realisation of this sends me tumbling, head over heels, hands outstretched, long legs tangled and nestled against heaps of leaves once belonging to some tree (reminders of happier times, my mind whispers; I hush it---). I thought this was odd because I'm not sure whether you're saying that his mind was reeling or he literally tripped. If he actually did fall, I'm not sure if that works; he realizes he is alone so he falls? I'm not sure whether this is just me, but that seems weird. Though I did like the last part of the sentence.

Bent, drunken trees, all quiet and defeated, knowing that they will have survive another cruel winter without their usual green plumage and feathery companions to sing their sweet songs, leer at me as I pass by. This sentence seems a bit too long/too crowded. Either take out a few words or split it into two sentences.

All it really did was calming my frazzled nerves, but the voice in my head slithers out, enticing me to take the apple from its scaly tail. ... calm my frazzled nerves, not calming.

Trembles run distraughtly under my skin, and I lift up the lighter, knowing what my final task here in this closed playground would be. The first part bothers me. Maybe: Distraught tremors run under my skin... or just take out 'distraughtly' altogether.

The first few drops of rain drop on my hoodie, but I ignore their wretched dampness as I fold the paper aeroplane as neatly as I could, even though it was just crushed and squashed to bits mere moments ago. I don't like the repetition of 'drop'. Also, ... as neatly as I can, not could.

Just like the way the sun always shines in his hair, you think to yourself. Just like the way he grins and makes a distant ball of swirling gas only a small spot on the vast expanse of blue canvas dotted with millions of stars. The use of italics confuses me. Isn't it usually the thought in italics, and the tag in normal font? Forgive me if I'm wrong. ^^

Now, there are a few instances where you slipped up with the verb tenses. It's hard to stick to present, but you did really well; I'm sure you'll see the one or two verbs in past tense when you read through it again.

I'm sorry, I can't be of much help as to whether this shows an understanding of how the male mind works. However, none of the phrases struck me as distinctly feminine, so that's always good. You have a very literate and poetic MC here! The Icarus phrases were very powerful and unique.

To start off, I want to talk about the cherry tree. You mention the cherry tree several times; in my mind, it's almost a shrine, a sacred place where your MC and Will met all the time. As a location where a lot takes place, I think it deserves more description. Describe the size and shape of it, any odd branches, the colors; how did it feel sitting up there? How was the view? The texture of the branches beneath them? Give us a better feel for the tree where they spent so much of their childhood. I'm saying this because I think your imagery is very vivid, and you could bring the cherry tree to life easily with a few sentences here and there. It wouldn't take much.

The next problem I'll address is that I thought this was kind of predictable. While your writing is very refreshing and vivid to read, I thought the development with Will was kind of obvious. The paragraph where you first introduce the memories basically just set up the rest of the piece. The sequence was a little too logical, I'd say - he loves Will, he confesses love, Will pushes him away, he suffers. I found myself thinking often, I saw this coming or Yeah, I was waiting for this to happen. I thought I should point it out just because I found myself enjoying the story very much - and then I felt kind of bad, because I enjoyed something that was predictable when I usually love twists, if that makes sense? Now, I'm not even sure whether you should change this. I believe that predictable and cliche is okay if the story is well written - which it definitely was - so I don't know how to fix this, or even whether it should be fixed. So this paragraph is pretty much useless, but I just thought I'd tell you what It thought.

[However, on that note, I really enjoyed the recurrent paper aeroplanes theme. :)]

I also wanted to say that I loved how the flashbacks are in second person. Second person is really hard to pull off; I've noticed that a lot of times, when an author writes in second, they lose sight of their character and don't write about emotions well. However, I think you definitely kept sight of your MC and kept your writing vivid and poignant. The choice to write it in second person was a good one, and was very successful, in my opinion.

And of course, these are all just my opinions and my suggestions. Don't change anything just because I said you should. I'm sure other reviewers will probably have a different opinion from me!

Okay, so this entire review ended up pointless. Everyone wants to know how to 'fix' their piece, but I honestly can't even begin to think about how you could 'fix' this. I think a few small changes, a passage here or there, would pretty much do the trick. I tried to point out every small flaw I found, just for the sake of thoroughness; but honestly, this was a very enjoyable, touching, and powerful piece just the way it is. Hopefully someone else will have something more constructive and helpful to say.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me/ post on my wall. I spend an insane amount of time online.

Thank you for a great read!

~Pari

151 Reviews

Reviews: 151
Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:00 pm
Amfliflier says...

I'm sorry, but I was really confused. Was the main character a guy, or a girl? I'm guessing a guy, but I'm not really sure. But the description in this story was great! I especially liked the description of the man selling the cigarettes! That was great! Keep writing! And by the way, it's contest worthy!
Forever for All <3

MUSIC RULES! :)

Everyday is Earth Day! :D

319 Reviews

Reviews: 319
Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:11 am
Jashael says...

Hey, Girl. I'm here as requested. But I might just finish the first half today... it's too long. :p But I'll try my best. :)

NITPICKS|CHANGED|ADDED|ATTENTION PLEASE

--he snatches it, since it probably worth more than his measly salary; and greedily counts the amount, the green reflecting in his long-gone eyes)

>> This is just a suggestion though. :)

Pick:
probablyits worth is

or
it's probably worth

I'm sorry if I didn't quite get the idea.

(reminders of happier times, my mind whispers; I hush it---<only two hyphens for an em dash>).

“Oliver, would you look at that man!”, shooting stars not quite as bright as the boy sitting next to you and grinning, your heart pumping and racing, fervently wishing for your wish to come true, Goddamn it---

I prefer this line with a tag. :)
As is...
“Oliver, would you look at that man!” [color=#FF0080]<he or she or you> had told <me or her or him or you :lol:>[/color], pointing atshooting stars not quite as bright as the boy sitting next to you and grinning, your heart pumping and racing, fervently wishing for your wish to come true, Goddamn it--- <delete hyphen>

Oh, you get it. XD

and I know that I will degrade into nothing but that once-man slaving away in the newsstand,<delete comma if I keep on reminiscing of days spent and pennies spent on zonking zombies out of existence and licking ice creams and dirty fingers clean.

The town bell clangs once, twice, three times, reminding me that I have already spent a whole hour wandering the streets while looking like the archetypical adolescent boy with his faded sneakers that suspiciously look like fake Converses.

I love the way you've put connection between the archetypical boy and the fake Converse. XD

(who was it that taught you how to whistle? It slyly says. Damn, stop it---).

So far, I'm loving your style. ;) As I've said, I'll be taking this part by part because it's so long; before I give you an overall opinion. :)
“I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen:
not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.”

—C.S. LEWIS

My SPOTIFY page
Facebook
Got a life?

319 Reviews

Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:26 am
Jashael says...

Hey, girl. I'm back for the next part. XD

I'm sorry if I'm more of a reviewer of structure and grammar-errrr. LOL But I'll give you an overall opinion later. :lol:

“You are going to live with some relatives in Clovelly, right after the funeral,” the woman from Child Welfare fixed her cold, uncaring eyes on me.

Nice style here, girl! Italics for himself talking to himself. LOL But be careful of the tenses, girl. :)

“I told you, I’m already eleven years old! I don’t play in playgrounds anymore, Aunt!” I insisted and sulked all the way to the supposed brand-new Clovelly Playground.

She peered at me through her half-moon spectacles, and said firmly, “It’s perfect for a small boy your age, dear. Beside, you’d get to know new friends!”

And there we stood, on the edge of the crowded playground, mums and dads all watching on as their children frolicked in the lazy afternoon sunshine, looking more content and happy than the children themselves.

“Go on, Oliver,” Aunt Matilda gave me a gentle push, and I complied, though not willingly.

A boy, who looked around my age, boldly came up to me, his mousey hair tousled; curiously peering at the new boy in town. “Hullo! I’m William, Will for short,” he held out a hand and a grin that seemed to be stretched all over his face. “What’s your name?”

“Oliver.” I whispered, shyly looking at the ground, my face slowly flushing.

My eyes bulged out of my eye sockets. “Fly? Really?”

Nice style here. You've italicized to point out flashbacks. But really, you can throw away that italics by doing this:

“I told you, I’m already eleven years old! I don’t play in playgrounds anymore, Aunt!” I had insisted and sulked all the way to the supposed brand-new Clovelly Playground.

She had peered at me through her half-moon spectacles, and said firmly, “It’s perfect for a small boy your age, dear. Beside, you’d get to know new friends!”

And there we had stood, on the edge of the crowded playground, mums and dads all watching on as their children frolicked in the lazy afternoon sunshine, looking more content and happy than the children themselves.

“Go on, Oliver,” Aunt Matilda had given me a gentle push, and I'd complied, though not willingly.

A boy, who had looked around my age, had boldly come up to me, his mousey hair tousled, curiously peering at the new boy in town. “Hullo! I’m William, Will for short,” he had held out a hand and grinned at me, a grin that had seemed to be stretched all over his face. “What’s your name?”

“Oliver,” I'd whispered, shyly looking at the ground, my face slowly flushing.

“So Oliver,” he had laughed, clapping you on the back, “Would you like to fly?”

My eyes bulged out of my eye sockets. “Fly? Really?”

Um...wait, now I'm too confused. Wait, may I suggest, when you italicize, that means he's talking to himself, right???? Then who's me and who's you??? confused........

May I suggest? Since the italicized parts seem to be his thoughts talking to himself, and you quite kept on using "you" at some time, try to consistently use the second person when italics come in??? :) That way, you won't be confusing the reader, like you're doing to me right now. *pouts* 'Cause so far, I feel like he's all alone in his thoughts. And when his mind talks to him, the mind used "me"--referring to himself--but then at times, it uses the second person. Be consistent girl. It confuses the reader. Like, we can't see other characters now, except for Will, which as far as I have read, is only shown in the MC's thoughts. So I'm really, really confused.

Hmmm...*nods* Now I get it. The italicized parts refer to another story in the past. Great style! Just please delete the second person. :) Everything will be fine now. LOL you actually have a lot of options for this story. XD

“S’okay! I’ll teach you how,” <where's the dialogue tag??>and he grabbed my hand, pulling me down the streets to his “secret hideout” to teach me the secrets of the stars.

Will’s “secret hideout” had turned out to be nothing than a big cherry tree with an alarmingly large rabbit-hole in the back. And as he'd pulled me up the tree, I was blushing like a ninny (as Will would describe it years from then), my skin tingling at the touch of his hand against mine.

The tenses, girl, the tenses. *frowns* You've just put the reader into a deep confusion. Just awhile ago, you've used perfect past tense, now you're using past tense. O_o I'm lost. Sorry...I really am. *pouts*

—C.S. LEWIS

My SPOTIFY page
Facebook
Got a life?

319 Reviews

Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:27 am
Jashael says...

Oh, I've just read romantic short stories. I'm warning you though, I'm not a fan of gay stories. Sorry...sooo yeah. Don't worry. I'm not biased. I'll only tell you, if I liked the style or not. :)

—C.S. LEWIS

My SPOTIFY page
Facebook
Got a life?

446 Reviews

Reviews: 446
Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:42 am
Yuriiko says...

When I read the title, I was like, "Can we pretend the airplanes in the night sky like a shooting star? I could really use a wish right now, wish right now, wish right now...". 8D

Hello there, Iceprincess!

First of all, your style is pretty unique and I like how you added Icarus all throughout the piece. I have never read stories about a man attracted to the same gender until this one. ^^

A pair of crinkly, overworked paws slap my guilty pleasures on the clear glass cabinet. Beady black eyes, as hardened and tired as the hands to which it was of the same entity, rake over and take in all gangly five foot ten inches of me.

Honestly speaking, your introductory paragraph comes out a bit awkward. It seems that the main character is very observant about the cashier, which I really think is very unnecessary because the cashier is basically just a cut-out cardboard character in this piece. And perhaps because both adjectives and adverbs are flooding this area. If you reread this piece again, count how many descriptions you've added here and think if they are relevant to the story. If they're not, slash them out because they only weaken your prose. Although don't get me wrong, I like how you describe of some things especially about the paper aeroplanes. (Remember, an adverb is just about right in a page.) ^^

Second thing I want to say is that your verbs sometimes tend to switch tense back and forth. Although I get the style of present with present tense and past with past tense. But if you check again the second to the last paragraph, which is supposed to be a flashback, it is somewhat ruined because you used present tense which should be past tense. Get it? ^^

“Oliver.” you whispered, shyly looking at the ground, your face slowly flushing.

This is just a minor thing and a typo I guess because the period should be a comma.
~
You portray your main character well into the story. Even if I'm a female reader, I could really relate to him in a sense that his up-and-downs situation is realistic, and you're really letting the London bridge connect your reader's mind to your man character's. He comes out strong in the end which I really think is a good thing, so you deserve a round of applause for that.

William is well portrayed here too but I'm just curious of what happened between his friendship with Oliver. But anyways, you really have done a great job at those two characters. nothing bad to say really. :3

And about the story line, I have nothing much to say except that you explain more of what happened after to Oliver and Will. What I like is how you developed Oliver throughout the story.

Overall:

I think you have done a good job, Iceprincess. I hope this review helps you and let me know for any questions or clarifications. Didn't I ever tell you we're competitors in Skins' and Shub's "She's the Man Contest"? haha. :D

Good luck to both of us. Keep writing.

Peace out,
Yuri
"Life is a poem keep it in the present tense." -Sherrel Wigal

228 Reviews

Reviews: 228
Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:08 am
Meep(: says...

Holy guacamole, iceprincess!
This was a refreshing and great read!
You've a unique way of describing things, and it's good that you've conveyed much of the emotions through actions rather than straight-out telling it to us. I really liked the incorporation of an analogy put into the shadow character of Icarus (I'm not sure if I phrased that correctly, but I hope you get my drift).
One thing you can improve on, which has already been mentioned, are you tenses. You switch scenes quite a few times in this story, so it's understandable that you may mix things up everyone and then.
I also realise that you've chosen to focus on specific events, so there are some things left unsaid, like how things turn out eventually. Sometimes it's better to clue us in more, but I think that you've made your piece comfortable with just the information you've given. Good job!
Otherwise, a very commendable job! *clicks the like button*
I apologise for not being of much help, but your writing ability far surpasses mine!
Have a good day! :D
~Meep(:

P.S: Like Yuriiko, I'm also entering the contest xD All the best, you're a strong contender, methinks!
~Liverpool F.C Supporter~
"You'll never walk alone"

770 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 770
Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:02 pm
borntobeawriter says...

Hey there Iceprincess,

First of all, thank you for the request. It was such a nice way of asking :D

Second, I am awed by your talent and by this piece. I loved that you were able to 'show' us he was a man by the 'cashier's thoughts'. *At least he's not on crack*. I thought that was a great way of showing, not telling.

I loved this piece. It was heartfelt and emotional. I could feel for Oliver, feel for him completely. Whether he's gay or not, I could relate to loving someone and not having that love returned. It would be good to mention, though, if he knew he was gay before Will, or if Will just brought him out of it. Maybe he isn't gay, but loves Will so much that he'd be bi for him, you know?

Also, unlike Pari, I didn't find this cliché, per say. I was completely fine with how it ended. It was meant to pull emotion, and it did. I probably would have been more upset if they HAD ended up together. I thought this was one of the better pieces for the contest that I've read and reviewed. I love how Oliver yelled at the trees to 'man up' because I could picture his own father yelling at him also, you know?

Well, these were my thoughts and opinions. Thank you so much for the request, it was an honour to read this.

Tanya

553 Reviews

Reviews: 553
Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:50 pm
MiaParamore says...

Hey Ice. Okay I am here to review as a co-judge and as a reviewer on request. I'll review it right now, and if you later change some things, then do let me know so that I'd re-read it and judge you on those basis again, if you wish! ^_^

Spoiler! :
Passing the cash over (he snatches it, since it's probably worth more than his measly salary; and greedily counts the amount, the green reflecting in his long-gone eyes), I tip my head, grateful that he didn’t try to lecture me on things he knows that no-one can control.
Long-gone? Does he not have his eyes in the socket? It just seemed vague to me-not seemed, it was.

Then where was I to go?This line. The one before. I think you could rephrase the question. Just an idea, because it just seems a bit off to say. the I sure as hell am not going back to Aunt Matilda, not that(when) I’ve finally had a damn day all to myself.

My one question would be that the MC shows that he buys cigarettes from the newsstand. Do we get cigarettes there? I am not sure, but in my country we only get newspaper or magazines at stands like these but maybe it was something else you wanted to use. Are you sure it was a place called 'newsstand'? But nothing too serious it is to bite your nails on. Don't worry, then! My other nit-pick would be that even though your writing ins beyond excellent and some of the best I've read here, sometimes it seemed that your sentences were very long and confusing.

You were sometimes using too much of words. But that's a different style, and even though it was confusing, I found it quite entertaining. But the other thing I'd like to say is that there's a place when the narrator says that the trees leered at him. If you know what it means, it has something to do with sexual desire, and I am not very supportive of the fact that trees would have a sexual desire, so it just sounded forced to me. This was one instance of your writing be forced. You might have done it metaphorically, but still I'd like to see more simplicity and less of confusion here and there. But your imagery was perfect. Like the part where the trees are being said that they'd have no companion to sing them songs was perfect for me.

Even though I liked Oliver's interaction with the trees, or his one-sided interaction I'd say, but I just felt that it might seem to somebody as futile. But for me it does bring out the conflict within him. He is very hurt from within, and I loved this interaction. Okay, for the other thing I found your tenses switching in parts. It just might be me, but sometimes in even one part I had to re-read it to get the hang of the tense. But I would not blame it to you, but it might be my fat-headedness , so no offence to be taken!

Overall:
In the beginning I had thought that this seemed way too girly to be a boy's POV. I'll tell you how. He thought too much about nature, which doesn't make him girly, but still typical boys have a non-nature friendly side to them, but then I told myself to wait since I could smell that he was different, and he was what I had expected. This story was captured beautifully, and I think it is one of the best pieces I have read on YWS, and even for the contest. This was by far the best entry. You'd be happy. :wink:

I don't have much to say, except for the fact that you should be looking out for words when you use them. They should not be confusing your readers. My small other nit-pick would be for you to tell us the age of the boys when Ollie kissed Will and then their age after that, or even once mentioning it is sufficient. Because if we know their age, we know a lot, and probably we can picture them more accurately that we'd before. So mentioning small things like these can be perfect. I am really sorry that I was hopeless at helping you out, but what could I do? It was perfect. :wink:

Good luck,
Shrubbery
"Next time you point a finger
I might have to bend it back
Or break it, break it off
Next time you point a finger
I'll point you to the mirror"

— Paramore

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:20 pm
Shearwater says...

Hi there! Pink here, as requested.

First of all, I barely skimmed the previous reviews so I apologize if anything I said is partly repeated or something. ^.^
but my feet continues to trudge onwards and onwards though places and sights that I haven’t seen in quite a while.

*Continue to trudge.

Okay to start off with, I really liked this story. It was beautiful and bittersweet and I was immersed it all the way through. Now, that doesn't mean there are still things you don't need to work on. From my experience, every piece and always be tweaked a little here and there at any time. You learn as your write so I'm sure next year you'll feel like you could've done better but let's get back on track. As of now, I think its still beautifully written however I did notice a few things that I'd like to talk about.

I noticed that you use a lot of adverbs and different words to convey different types of emotions or meanings in this piece. As much as I might like the way you worded them, they could be a bit confusing to readers to get into. Some cases, they might even stop to look up what a word might mean and that's not good because it cuts away their focused attention. I think Stephine Meyer also did this in her Twilight books, she used a few weird words here and there and it was a bit awkward so I would advise you to not do that too much unless you feel like it's a necessity. Also, there was something else I picked up in the beginning.

I felt like the first introduction there was quite wordy/complicated compared to the rest of the piece. I also thought it sounded a bit forced and it wasn't the best way to catch attention either. However the beginning was good, cutting and simple enough to raise random questions but this bit I had to read twice in order to understand what was going on and I'm still not sure whether or not I get the whole picture. :/

I'd like to compliment you on one thing though, I seriously enjoy the title you've given this piece. Also I think that you're writing is different and it's most definitely fun to read. :3

There was a thing or two that popped out to me in the second part of this. Okay the first one was when he was yelling at the trees. I felt like he was on the verge of insanity at that point and it was a wee bit weird to me. I thought it was kind of over dramatic in a sense, maybe he shouldn't have been shouting those things out loud of thinking of them in his head so it feels a little more or less weird. I dunno, could have just been me. Also the next thing was when he first met Will in the park was the whole documentary of the write brothers thing. Do eleven years-olds really watch documentaries on flight? I dunno, my memory doesn't reach that far but even so, it's alright I guess. Some kids might xD lol Don't pay too much attention to this, it's just something I thought I'd share.

As far as your description goes, I thoroughly enjoyed it. The way you painted your words were very nicely done and I will give you my compliments on that part. There were just a few cases in which I thought you description was bit over done but it's nothing much and I don't think it's worth going back and fixing because it really does add some depth to the story. In any case, try not to over-do it sometimes. =3

As for your dialogue, I thought it was nice. I mean, I like how you didn't make it very complicated. You see, when I was first reading this and all the deep emotional description I was afraid the dialogue was going to be the same with long winded ways of saying simple things but that didn't seem to be the case. It was actually simplistic and sweet and I really liked that. :3

Overall, I really loved it. Good job and I like this idea about the gay thing and being a man an all. Honestly, a man is a man and it's completely different than a 'personality' so I mean, as long as the character is strong there's really nothing that sets it apart than being a man or a woman in that matter. It's just...I don't know, it'd take another review to explain the meaning I have of it in my head and I'm not going to do that. I have a good feeling about this for the contest, all the best Ice! This review was a bit pathetic but meh, you asked for it. xD

Good luck,
-Pink
There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.
-W. Somerset Maugham

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:46 pm
LauRux says...

Iceprincess, this piece truly moved me. I am so glad you wrote this, I enjoyed it so much. I usually don't like to read about homosexual relationships but I really loved this piece. You did so much with this; imagery, symbolism, strong emotion. I loved it! My only critiques are that the switching perspective got a bit confusing and there were some grammar mistakes that have already been addressed. Be proud of this, it's truly art!
Favorite books:

The Hunger Games

Eyes Like Stars

Life of Pi

Mortal Instruments

Howl's Moving Castle

205 Reviews

Reviews: 205
Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:43 pm
Kagi says...

I feel the worst ever.
I cannot beleive I forgot to review for you! I honestly thought I had.
I'm really nervous now 'cause I'm like~This has to be good!
I'm going to shut up and hopefully give you a whooping 'Please forgive my review'
--------------------------------------------------------------------->>>> Onward¬! :P

Do you mind terribly if I skipped grammar problems? You don't seem to have that many and the most I saw were already pointed out. Your main problem isn't major at all it seems to be everyone's little mistakes-just typos and we can't help with that other then scream down your throat~READ OVER YOUR WORK and I think you did that well enough.

Okay onto the charachters. I liked the MC. She had a lot of interesting twists and turns in her life story that was at some points confusing and at others thoroughly enjoyable.
You supplied enough detail and description for us to understand just the bare minimum of who she was and so on. Normally I'd like a lot of backround to charchters but I was satisfied with little this time. I don't mean that in a bad way I mean it that what you gave was good. Great.
Emotionally it wasn't like what you'd spill to your diary. It was on edge most of the way through the story but I thought mayeb that was how you were trying to make it come across. Sometimes I just wanted that little bit more of a deep down emotion. Something that gave us a little more look into the whole story.
On the outside the MC seems a very bottled up person. She keeps her anger and hatred locked up in side her giving off the impression she needs to be loved again. It makes us really understand how much she must have loved him.

Your description was phenominal. I have honestly never read better. Your work has no faults but then I should be used to that be now shouldn't I?
Every sentence you wrote was breathatking and completely flawless. It was beautiful and so real and heartfelt I was almost in tears. If you could get the MC's emotion described like how you described the world around her this would deserve far more then just being featured. It should become a film. I can't get out the words to express of amazing the whole story was.
I was holding breath as I read each line. The plot moved at a good pace not too fast or slow. Fast and slow enough for us to grasp the concept of what you meant by each paragraph.
It's a matserpiece.

Your imagery was just as powerful. You to know what words fit in exactly the right places. It all flows freely and simply out of your mouth and effortlessly onto paper. I'm not sure how you do it. You put my work to shame which is exactly why I should never have read this story as I entered the competition aswell!
Anyhow.
You get the point~I have used all the words in the dictionary possible to describe your work. There are no more.

The storyline in general could have been a bit more clear. Sometimes we were a bit unclear of where it was going.
It flowed but every now and then it was alittle choppy. Not the actualy work just how the story was unravelling.
Otherwise I can't add anything or take anything form the story.
There were barely any faults I could find that have not already been pointed out by previous YWSers.

I hope your proud of this Rosie.
Kaka xox
And im so sorry it took this long! Im so ashamed.
Got YWS?

If, when you mean to type yes you type yws, you know you belong. :P

138 Reviews

Reviews: 138
Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:30 am
MadameLuxestrange says...

Hiya! I'm Luxy and I'm going to review this for you.

First off, this was a AMAZING! I absolutely loved your characters, your imagery, everything. I thought that you showed your readers what love in a situation like this is really like.

For my review: People in the above reviews caught most of your grammar, so I don't think I'll need to touch on that too much. With your storyline, I'd like to see a little more explanation on the girl who Will started dating. Maybe put a part in there where Oliver sees her with Will. It would be very heartbreaking and yet it would also work well. I liked the aeroplanes as a symbol. That worked beautifully. I'd also like to know a little bit more regarding Will's side of the story. Does he in any way return those feelings and he's just hiding them? Is he completely disgusted? Ooh! A sequel maybe?

Hope this was somewhat helpful!
Luxy :D
...or dear Bellatrix, who likes to play with her food before she eats it?
Fear makes the wolf seem bigger.
I got attacked by a swan.

319 Reviews

Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:03 am
Jashael says...

I guess since you've changed so much of this, I'll have to re-review. I don't even remember where I've stopped. And even if I base that on my previous posts, it wouldn't matter much, 'cause I know I'll be lost. Okay... here it goes.

NITPICKS|CHANGED|ADDED|ATTENTION PLEASE

Nitpick #1

I will not be the first or the last underage teenager to buy stuff that he shouldn’t be buying.

Nitpick #2

And then I am out of the newsstand, its self-proclaimed automatic doors swinging close behind me.

Nitpick #3

Stuffing my cigarettes into the pack pocket of my worn-out jeans, I stare up at the murky morning skies that promised hours worth of entertainment sooner or later.

>> I think you meant "back"?

Nitpick #4

From here, you can see the view pretty well; those unnamed hills still looms over the playground, casting shadows all around and giving the whole place a sense of melancholy, as if they knew once that children would defile and graffiti this place of innocence.

Nitpick #5

'Course it will. If we wish hard enough,” he grunted, “anything can and will happen.”

Nitpick #6

What Will didn’t know,<no comma> was that there was actually something that you wanted even more than flying.

Nitpick #7

Nothing happened between you and him; at least, that’s how Will wanted it to be.

I won't be continuing my nitpicks now for I've noticed that I was ignored. But I'll point out serious ones.

Serious Nitpick #1
DIALOGUE TAGS

I'm only going through this once.

“Hullo! I’m William, Will for short,” he held out a hand and a grin that seemed to be stretched all over his face.

Do I really have to repeat it, Icy? The highlighted part is NOT a dialogue tag. You have to stop doing that; you should put, said, answered, or exclaimed just to name a few dialogue tags.

And here you do the equal error:

“Oliver,” you whispered, shyly looking at the ground, your face slowly flushing.

That should be a comma.

But I think this is fine.

But this:

“Careful there, mate!” he laughed, delighted at your enthusiasm. “Don’t over-do it, or else this wish’ll be jinxed.”

Serious Nitpick #2
PERSON

This is honestly confusing.

Your eyes bulged out of my eye sockets.

I think I know what you're trying to do. His thoughts are opposing. But it's seriously confusing. I mean, I go all, like, Whut?

But then again, maybe I just don't understand it. Then if not, I don't know how to fix this... There are times which I think you refers to Will. But I shake off the idea... his thoughts are the ones, right? It's so confusing really. OK... maybe it would clear up at the end; but don't let the reader wait too much. Confusion makes a reader want to drop the story.

All done!

OVERALL

OH MY OH MAH MAH MAH MAH...

Your style was amazing, Icy! I loved your style so much! : O I loved the your metaphors, your similes -- your imagery; they were all unique! None was cliche. And... gah, girl. YOU ROCK! If you had tweaked this more, I'm 100% sure you'd get in the journal! -- and you might actually win the contest! O_o you were amazing.

Here are some lines I really liked:

He showed you that (in)famous grin of his, a hand sneaking up into that unruly mess of chocolate hair which would last perpetually into his late teenage years. “Right as always!”

That honestly was so cool. :lol:

But there's only one nitpick I have left for you:

A pair of crinkly, overworked paws slap my guilty pleasures on the clear glass cabinet.

This was from the first few lines, and well, I think "slap" isn't the right verb there. Slap has some kind of mean connotation -- for me. I had to read twice to understand that that was just the way the man was. At first, I thought he was mad at the kid for buying cigarettes. LOL I just think that it confused me a bit, and it may do that too to other readers, and they might miss out a LOOOOOT...

But anyway, try to ignore that. All I have to say is please, girl, I don't wanna seem harsh, but you've got the talent, and you're ignoring some of the reviewers suggestions, which, I AM CERTAIN, will help you in your writings. So listen to your reviewers. Technical stuffs for English punctuation, and also be careful with the tenses. After you master that, you're ready for the publishing world. WOW, girl. You still amaze me.

KEEP ROCKING!

~ jASH ♥

—C.S. LEWIS

My SPOTIFY page
Facebook
Got a life?

May you never steal, lie, or cheat. But if you must steal, then steal away my sorrows. And if you must lie, then lie with me all the nights of your life. And if you must cheat, then please, cheat death.
— An Unknown Bride, Leap Year