z

Young Writers Society

Invisibles. Prologue (Revised)

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:54 am
IIWickedDestinyII says...

I revised the prologue from my novel Invisibles. I will be posting the revised versions of the other four chapters. Tell me what you think . :D

Prologue:

I circled around the man accused of her murder, Mr. John Brown. He was one of the best bankers in the town. A bead of sweat dripped down his forehead as I sat down in front of him. He followed my every move as if I was a threat to him. Yes, I’m the best at my job for a reason. Then again who would think a skinny, tall, beautiful women was a threat. Although the ones you think little of are usually the worst.
“Were you having a sexual relationship with Ms. Cindy Martin?”
“No.” His answer short and sweet but his mind seemed to never stop talking.
She was so beautiful but I didn’t mean to kill her. Oh god what have I done, I’m a monster. He thought to himself. I grinned knowing he had no idea that I could make out every word he was thinking.
“Yes you are a monster.”
His throat tightened and his mouth went dry. He licked his lips and his eyes shifted to mine. His eyes widened when he looked in them. My eyes like many others my kind were unusual. I grinned satisfied with his fear and confusion. I glanced up at the clock; he would be made if I weren’t home soon enough. I tapped my fingernails on the table slowly making Mr. Brown jump. I wasn’t a patient person. The next words he thought out carefully, not realizing I could still hear them.
“What kind of monster are you?”
“One you think you only read about in books.” I bared my teeth and he shrunk into the seat. As I said this I placed my hands on the table and looked him back in the eyes.
I stared him down with a blank face and slipped into his mind.
Just tell her the truth. Just say what really happened. Mr. Brown’s eyes glazed over as I did this. I blinked breaking the connection. Mr. Brown straightened up and folded his hands on the table.
“Miss,” He paused forgetting my name.
“Idda.”
“Well, Ms. Idda, I guess you will figure things out sooner or later. So I have decided to be a gentleman and tell you what really happened.” I smiled and he scratched the side of his face nervously. I didn't care if he told me out loud I could easily just torture it out of him. That would be much easier than sitting in this room for hours questioning him. At least with torturing I could do it fast and be home before Star.
“Thank you Mr. Brown. That is very considerate of you.” Pathetic mortals, they had a guards as thick as a piece of paper. I held back a laugh. Mr. Brown then began to tell me everything, starting at the beginning. He told me everything from when they first met to when he killed her. When he finished the story he snapped out of the trance. He realized what he said as I got up, grabbed the tape recorder and winked at him before opening the door.
His shoulders slouched and I watched from the other room as a tear fell from his eye, hitting the table in slow motion. Only my race was able to see that. We were the only ones living with these special powers and the numbers were decreasing faster and faster. The ones that were supposed to be keeping us safe were actually killing us. They said they would protect us but then stabbed us in the back.
I motioned for the guards to arrest him and handed the tape recorder to my forty-year-old assistant who was quite annoyed she had to work for a child. I smiled at her and she handed me my coffee.
“You did it again Idda. How do you do it?” She asked, a pen and notebook in her hand.
“You just need to know what mind games to use and how to use them to your advantage. You get inside their head and learn the information they are hiding, the information they hide between the lines.” It took her a lot of strength to thank me and put on a smile. As she turned away I could feel her grimace. I walked to the front office and was told I was wanted on line one.
I picked up the phone and held the cold plastic to my ear.
“Hello?”
“Tessa,” My heart fluttered as I heard his voice. “Soon enough my darling. Soon enough.” The man ended the call and I was left standing there listening to the beeping sound the phone made. No, he can’t come back in my life. Not now not ever, I told myself. My heart said something totally different. It told me to let him in. To ditch Star and embrace my true destiny. To embrace my past, fully this time. I pushed away those memories and strode out the front doors. I put a grin on my face and went to look for something to drive.
I guess we should start at the beginning of all this.
Last edited by IIWickedDestinyII on Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:53 am, edited 4 times in total.
One word to say to you
One world to live onto
One person that makes you spin
One song you'll always sing
Show me the way <3

362 Reviews

Reviews: 362
Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:38 am
wonderland says...

Hey, you're Wicked too. Cool.
I'm WickedWonder
I'm gonna review.

Alright, so firstly, go back, and re read. You've got some grammar mistakes (Such as missing commas).
Next- Slow it down! A lot! Give us some detail, some emotion. You have a lot here, and I read it all, but didn't feel much. You ned to show the reader what your MC is thinking, and what she's feeling.
Lastly- Work on your believability. Maybe change the ages a bit, becuase even though this is fantasy, it seems a little unreal that a fifteen year old would have a child, even if the ages are off.

Write On
~WickedWonder
'We will never believe again, kick drum beating in my chest again, oh, we will never believe in anything again, preach electric to a microphone stand.'

*Formerly wickedwonder*

15 Reviews

Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:03 pm

Thank you WickedWonder, that's cool about our names. I tried to get all the grammar mistakes and took out the other chapters and lengthened this one. I tried to add what you suggested. I really tried to put in what Idda thought and what she was thinking/feeling. The age will tie into later in the novel. Right now it is at fifteen years old for a reason. For everyone else I'm going to change their ages so you can believe the characters better. Thank you for your input. It helped A LOT . :) . Hope to hear from you again.
Wicked <3
One word to say to you
One world to live onto
Show me the way <3

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:39 am
Alzora says...

IIWickedDestinyII wrote:I revised the prologue from my novel Invisibles. I will be posting the revised versions of the other four chapters. Tell me what you think . :D

Prologue:

I circled around the man accused of her murder, Mr. John Brownher? who's her??. He was one of the best bankers in the town. A bead of sweat dripped down his forehead as I sat down in front of him. He followed my every move as if I was a threat to him. Yes, I’m the best at my job for a reason. Then again who would think a skinny, tall, beautiful women was a threat. Although the ones you think little of are usually the worst.
“Were you having a sexual relationship with Miss. Cindy Martin?”not 'miss' change it to ms.
“No.” His answer short and sweet but his mind seemed to never stop talking.
She was so beautiful but I didn’t mean to kill her. Oh god what have I done, I’m a monster. He thought to himselfyou might want to make his thoughts italics.... I grinned knowing he had no idea that I could make out every word he was thinking.
“Yes you are a monster.”
His throat tightened and his mouth went dry. He licked his lips and his eyes shifted to mine. His eyes widened when he looked in them. My eyes like many others my kind were unusual. I grinned satisfied with his fear and confusion. I glanced up at the clock; he would be made if I weren’t home soon enough. I tapped my fingernails on the table slowly making Mr. Brown jump. I wasn’t a patient person. The next words he thought out carefully, not realizing I could still hear them.
“What kind of monster are you.”question mark!!
“One you think you only read about in books.” I bared my teeth and he shrunk into the seat. As I said this I placed my hands on the table and looked him back in the eyes.
“Just be careful about what you say because remember to every liethis little part is sort of confusing ' what you say because remember to every lie' do you mean 'what you say because I remember to every lie,' there is actually a riddle inside revealing the truth.”
I stared him down with a blank face and slipped into his mind.
Just tell her the truth. Just say what really happened. Mr. Brown’s eyes glazed over as I did this. I blinked, breaking the connection. Mr. Brown straightened up and folded his hands on the table.
“Miss,” He paused forgetting my name.
“Idda.”
“Well, Miss. Idda, I guess you will figure things out sooner or later. So I have decided to be a gentle mangentleman is one word and tell you what really happened.” I smiled and heyou don't need the 'he' here scratched the side of his face nervously. I didn't care if he told me out loud I could easily just torture it out of him. That would be much easier than sitting in this room for hours questioning him. At least with torturing I could do it fast and be home before Star.
“Thank you Mr. Brown. That is very considerate of you.” Pathetic mortals, they had a guards as thick as a piece of paper. I held back a laugh. Mr. Brown then began to tell me everything, starting at the beginning. He told me everything from when they first meetchange meet to met to when he killed her. When he finished the story he snapped out of the trance. He realized what he said as I got up, grabbed the tape recorder and winked at him before opening the door.
His shoulders slouched and I watched from the other room as a tear fell from his eye, hitting the table in slow motion. Only my race was able to see that. We were the only ones living with these special powers and the numbers were decreasing faster and faster. The ones that were supposed to be keeping us safe were actually killing us. They said they would protect us but then stabbed us in the back.
I motioned for the guards to arrest him and handed the tape recorder to my forty-year-old assistant who was quite annoyed she had to work for a child. I smiled at her and she handed me my coffee.
“You did it again Idda. How do you do it?” She asked, a pen and notebook in her hand.
“You just need to know what mind games to use and how to use them to your advantage. You have todon't use the 'have to' get inside their head and learn the information they are hiding, the information they hide between the lines.” It took her a lot of strength to thank me and put on a smile. As she turned away I could feel her grimace. I walked to the front office and was told I was wanted on line one.
I picked up the phone and held the cold plastic to my ear.
“Hello?”
“Tessa,” My heart fluttered as I heard his voice. “Soon enough my darling. Soon enough.” The man ended the call and I was left standing there listening to the beeping sound the phone made. No, he can’t come back in my life. Not now, not ever, I told myself. My heart said something totally different. It told me to let him in. To ditch Star and embrace my true destiny. To embrace my past, fully this time. I pushed away those memories and strode out the front doors. I put a grin on my face and went to look for something to drive.
I guess we should start at the beginning of all this.

This is great!! Can't wait to read more:)

Alzora
My kitty avatar is my minion. She sneaks everywhere and always tells me whats going on.
*kitty avatar sneaks up and whispers in my ear*
Oh... She says it is time...
*grabs you and puts you in box*
Perfect!

15 Reviews

Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:41 am

Thank you Alzora, I will definitely fix those mistakes. I tried to the people's thoughts in italics but it would not work at the time. I will go fix that now on the other ones. Thank you for the advice and I hope you like the rest of the book. I just put up the other chapters. :)
One word to say to you
One world to live onto
Show me the way <3

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:15 pm
thatboy says...

Hi, Wicked.

I have noticed that your other reviewers have mentioned this too, you need to put commas in where they are needed. There were a few other grammatical mistakes, but nothing drastic.

I think that your story is very interesting. I also noticed that you have made five chapters so far (I'm starting at the begining), that is good.

I'll read on to the other chapters and see what happens next.

Overall: Imaginitive story. A few mistakes but nothing to really worry about.
It's not what life makes of you;
But what you make of life.

15 Reviews

Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:34 pm

Hi, thatboy.
Thank you for reviewing my work. Thank you , I haven't been working on it for that long so it's great to hear all this feed back early on, so I can change everything. Ok, I hope to hear your other reviews on my other chapters. :)
Wicked <3
One word to say to you
One world to live onto
Show me the way <3

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:39 pm
Addawen19 says...

This is a complete mystery, and I love it. I want to know everything about this story, everything, the prologue wasn't enough, so I guess I'll have to read the other chapters you posted on this. One question though, Idda, is Tessa right? because I got lost haha, to be honest, I was like Idda? Tessa? Who?
Other than that, I thought it was great, I will totally read the other chapters.
Great work.
Addawen
The heart wants, the body needs, and the mind suffers. - me

15 Reviews

Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:43 am

Thank you Addawen, I will look forward to reading your other rewviews :) . Idda is Tessa , yes , that will become clearer through out the rest of the chapters. Thank you so much I've been trying to get it perfect but nothing is perfect right you can always add something more to it. ;)
Wicked <3
One word to say to you
One world to live onto
Show me the way <3

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:59 pm
Ktg17 says...

Hi! I have come too review at your request.
I did like this! I thought it was kinda interesting, creative, and fun.
I did find some mistakes. They have been noted by other reviewers already, however. So I'm not going to repeat them because that would just get annoying. I really did enjoy this, but I got confused at some parts. Also I did not like the beginning. That is just my opinion with you.
Even if you see in black and white, think in color...

15 Reviews

Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:00 pm

Thank you Ktg17 , thank you for reviewing me story. I will definitely fix those mistakes and it's okay that you didn't like the beginning, everyone has a different opionon and that's yours. Thumbs up to you for telling me that ;) . Thank you for not repeating them , you're right that would get annoying :P . The confusing parts are explained later on in the novel. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Wicked <3
One word to say to you
One world to live onto
Show me the way <3

The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn.
— Alvin Toffler