Young Writers Society

Wolfsbane, Mustard-Seed and Silver (1)

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:00 am
Twit says...

ONE

The sun was rising over the moor. The horizon bled purple into the sky, then melted into pink, peach and gold before meeting the blaze of white gold sunlight. A bird winged up into the sky, a dark silhouette against the pale.

The werewolf twitched in his sleep as he felt the night leave. His dreams flickered, grew thinner and vanished, and he opened one eye. The unicorn was not asleep, but lay with his legs folded underneath him, watching the bird as it crossed the sky.

The werewolf sat up and scratched violently behind his right ear. He stretched, yawned expansively and groaned. His jaws and the dark brown fur on his chest were black with dried blood. He sniffed the ground, followed a scent to a nearby rock, then lifted his leg and urinated.

The unicorn got up. He shook his mane, then stood still and breathed in the chill new morning air, his lion’s tail curling and twisting against his hind legs. A shiver ran down his body. He stared at the rising sun, then he turned and began to walk west, into the darkness that the sun had not yet touched. The werewolf padded silently at his side.

In the gloom of the Breeding Hut, the two humans eyed each other warily. The man was tall and dark-eyed, with wide, powerful shoulders that moved uneasily under his rough coat. The woman was quite beautiful, pale and delicate, with golden hair caught up by a blue ribbon and curled into long loose ringlets. She held a candlestick in her hand, and the faint light carved dark hollows under her cheekbones.

The man’s eyes flicked from the woman’s face to the ceiling rafters to the packed dirt floor. He licked his lips, began to speak, then stopped and cleared his throat. The woman watched him, a small grave smile curling the corners of her perfect mouth.

“Now then,” the man said. He took a step towards her and hesitantly held out his hand, as though to an animal that he wished to coax closer. “What do they call thee?”

“Thaw Beauty,” the woman said. “What do they call thee?”

“Wuthering Strength,” he said. “Is’t thy first time in here?”

She nodded. “And for thee?”

The man looked down. “No. I’ve—I’ve been in here before.”

“Were ye not successful? Did ye not give them a child?”

The man’s face grew red. “I was nobbut a lad, then, an’ I—I didn’t...”

His voice trailed away. The woman looked at him, then stepped closer and put her hand in his. “Thou art a man now,” she said softly. “Wuthering Strength.”

The man looked down at their clasped hands, then at her face. She smiled at him, and her face was like the sunrise. The man said, wondering, “Th’art beautiful” and he stroked her face as though it were a delicate blossom, easily bruised.

As the sun rose in the sky, the unicorn and the werewolf crested the hill and looked down on the village. It was no more than a collection of stone-walled houses with rough dirt tracks leading from one building to another. A few sheep grazed in a small pen and three horses grazed around their picket lines tied to the side of a large barn.

The werewolf sniffed the air and growled, the dark hair rising along his back. He broke into a trot and the unicorn followed him down the hill. As they drew closer, a human came out of the barn, leading a grey mare. The man had a long russet moustache and lighter hair that he constantly pushed back out of his eyes. He wore woollen trousers and a long-sleeved tunic, and when the horse nuzzled his shoulder, it left a dark wet stain on the brightly-dyed cloth. The man led the horse around the barn to the track that led away from the village towards the west. The wind blew their scent back and the werewolf stopped, sniffing.

The unicorn looked at him inquisitively, but the werewolf remained intently watching the village.

A figure emerged from one of the houses and strode toward the man holding the horse. A growl rumbled in the werewolf’s throat, and the unicorn shifted uneasily, tossing its horn. Below them, the man held the horse steady as the second figure mounted and gathered up the reins. He was short and weather-beaten, dressed in a similar fashion to the man, but he wore a twisted golden torc around his neck and he carried a long hunting spear with a collar of black raven feathers. The werewolf’s teeth gleamed white beneath quivering lips, but the vampire below remained oblivious. He turned the mare about and nudged her forward down the track.

The werewolf and the unicorn watched him until he was out of sight before continuing on their way.

After the first time, the woman sat awkwardly on the bed and wrapped her arms tight around herself. Her eyes were closed, but she could hear the man’s ragged breathing. “I’m sorry,” he kept on saying. “I’m sorry, I—I’m sorry.”

“No, it’s all right,” she managed. She opened her eyes and saw him kneeling on the bed in front of her. She felt the pillow crumpled behind her back, stuffed partly down between the headboard and the heather-stuffed mattress. “It’s all right,” she said again. “It’s all right, it really is.”

She felt sore deep inside herself, and when she moved, slowly and carefully, she felt the blood already drying on the inside of her thighs. There was blood on the sheets too. The man saw it and his face turned scarlet.

“I’m so sorry,” he said. “Did—Did I hurt thee greatly?”

“Everyone hurts—th’ first time, I think.” She felt gooseflesh rising on her arms and shivered. “Do we...” She swallowed. “Do we have to do it again?”

“I—I think so. Mebbe.” He looked terrified.

She slid slowly down in the bed and lay on her side, still hugging herself. She waited, but the man remained awkwardly kneeling. She took a deep breath. “Shouldn’t we get on with it?”

“No, I—Us should wait. I can’t—I—Let’s wait.”

She looked up at him. He shifted back a little, as though he were afraid to touch her.

“It’s no’ so bad,” she said. “It’s hurtin’ less now.”

“Tha’s lyin’.” He wouldn’t look at her. “Us should wait. Us’ll wait.” He rocked back, slid his legs down and searched for his clothes on the floor. He gathered them together, brown trousers, white shirt, dark waistcoat and necktie.

She watched him dress, then, as he buckled his belt, she said, “Tha’ can’t go again yet, can tha’?”

He darted a glance at her, then pulled on his shoes. “Us’ll try again later,” he said.

The next village they passed was bigger and older, and they skirted carefully around it, keeping the wind before them. This village had brick houses and cobbled roads, and the sun caught the spire of the disused church and flashed dull fire. Even watching from a distance, they could see more vampires this time; a female in a faded flowered dress digging in a front garden, two very young ones playing in a doorway while another female patched a pair of trousers, an old male mending a bridle.

They saw two vampires on the very outskirts of the village, and the hair rose again on the werewolf’s back. The male wore a cloth cap and rubber boots and carried a gun in the crook of his arm; the female was dressed in a neat dark blue dress and her short dark hair blew about in the wind.

The werewolf stood frozen, taut and tense like a bowstring, but the vampires never moved. They just stood, side by side, and watched the moor.

I know this has fantasy elements, but it's also historical and the fantasy forum is very busy, so I thought I'd put it in here for now. Please be as harsh as possible; every type of construcive abuse is very welcome, but especially on first impressions, what you think of the characters, how you think the story's going and if you'd read further. Also if there's anything you don't understand, lol. The accent is meant to be Yorkshire, but I'm well aware that's it's not perfect, so any help on that would be appreciated.
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:31 am
SnapesOnAPlane says...

Generally, I enjoyed it, but I didn't like the way the characters talked. Their accents were a tad confusing. They spoke modernly, but then you threw in a few "thee"s and "thy"s, which was more historical. I tried reading the dialogue out loud, but it sounded awkward.

That's my opinion, though. If you like the way they talk, then just ignore me. But as a reader, it was queer.
But whether James really did take off Snape's pants, Harry never found out.

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:15 pm
Sins says...

Heya :)

Here to review as requested. I'm pretty sure that I haven't reviewed anything of yours before, so I'll just tell you quickly about how I reviews. 'Cause I'm cool like that. First, I'll start off with the nit-picks. That's if I find any. Then, I'll give you my overall impression and what I think you should do to improve on.

The sun was rising over the moor. The horizon bled purple into the sky, then melted into pink, peach and gold before meeting the blaze of white gold sunlight. A bird winged up into the sky, a dark silhouette against the pale.

Really nice, vivid description here.

The werewolf sat up and scratched violently behind his right ear. He stretched, yawned expansively and groaned. His jaws and the dark brown fur on his chest were black with dried blood. He sniffed the ground, followed a scent to a nearby rock, then lifted his leg and urinated.

I don't really like how you're kind of like listing things. This appears in the first paragraph as well. I've highlighted the areas where I noticed you doing this. It's not what you're saying, it's the way your saying it that I don't like. You're saying things like, 'He did this, this, and this.' Maybe you could write it in a different way to make it more interesting and vary it a bit?

The man was tall and dark-eyed, with wide, powerful shoulders that moved uneasily under his rough coat.

You don't need the comma that I highlighted in red here.

The woman was quite beautiful; pale and delicate, with golden hair caught up by a blue ribbon and curled into long loose ringlets.

You don't need the comma that I highlighted her either. :)

She held a candlestick in her hand, and the faint light carved dark hollows under her cheekbones.

The man’s eyes flicked from the woman’s face, to the ceiling rafters, to the packed dirt floor.

You're listing actions here, therefore, you need commas to separate every action.

He licked his lips, began to speak, then stopped and cleared his throat.

Another example of the listing thing. :wink:

“Th’art beautiful” and he stroked her face as though it were a delicate blossom, easily bruised.

I liked this line and the simile in it.

As the sun rose in the sky, the unicorn and the werewolf crested the hill and looked down onto the village.

A few sheep grazed in a small pen and three horses grazed around their picket lines, tied to the side of a large barn.

After the first time, the woman sat awkwardly on the bed and wrapped her arms tightly around herself.

The first time of what...? I have an idea what you mean, but I'm not certain. Don't be so vague. If it is what I'm thinking of, I understand why you don't want to say it bluntly. Maybe you could say, 'After the first time they did it, the woman...'

“Everyone hurts—th’ first time, I think.” She felt gooseflesh rising on her arms and shivered. “Do we...” She swallowed. “Do we have to do it again?”

Yeah, I know what you're on about now. :lol:

“Tha’s lyin’.” He wouldn’t look at her. “Us should wait. Us’ll wait.” He rocked back, slid his legs down and searched for his clothes on the floor. He gathered them together, brown trousers, white shirt, dark waistcoat and necktie.

He darted a glance at her, then pulled on his shoes. “Us’ll try again later,” he said.

The dialogue in this is starting to confuse me a bit now.

Even watching from a distance, they could see more vampires this time; a female in a faded flowered dress digging in a front garden, two very young ones playing in a doorway while another female patched a pair of trousers, an old male mending a bridle.

This sentence is pretty long. You don't necessarily have to, but maybe you could cut it down a bit or maybe turn it into more than one sentence.

Overall

This was definitely entertaining to read. My favourite thing about this piece are your descriptions. You came up with some very nice metaphors and similes. What was best about your descriptions was the fact that they were very vivid and they flowed really well. They weren't awkward to read an they definitely weren't boring, not in my opinion anyway. They didn't take over the piece either; you balanced them out with actions and some dialogue. It's horrible when there are clumps of description in a story. As for the questions you asked, I'll begin with your characters. I have to say, I was kind of confused at times to what character was who and from what species they were. :lol: That' probably just me not being able to remember things well. As for your characters personalities, I did rather like your two human characters. They seemed interesting and weren't your classic, every day characters. I think it was especially because of the situation they were in. Don't think that I'm obsessed with sex, by the way. I just liked the idea of them having to conceive for some reason. That's what they were doing, right? As for how I think the story's going, I think that it's going well! If you keep up with your descriptions, you'll continue to do well and I would definitely read further. As for your final question, is there anything you don't understand, that is where I see a slight problem, For me, anyway.

My main critique for is probably the fact that it can be confusing at times. I don't know if it's just me, heck, it might be! Things do confuse me quite easily, but there were a few things in this that made it confusing at times. One of the more minor reasons that I found this confusing was because of the dialogue. I'm not 100% sure what a Yorkshire accent sounds like, but the way you wrote it was kind of confusing. I can't really give you advice on that though. Like I said before; I don't really know what a Yorkshire accent sounds like exactly. The main reason that I found this a tad bit confusing was because of the POV changes. To be honest though, that could be more of a personal thing. I've never really liked stories that change POV, not within the same chapter anyway. If these POV changes had a new chapter each, I probably wouldn't have found this as confusing as I do right now.

Also, because there were POV changes, there were also more characters. That is another aspect towards the reason why I think this seemed a bit confusing to me. The fact that there were a rather lot of characters made it harder for me to remember who was who and who was doing what. I think that they were especially confusing because of what they were. You had a unicorn and a werewolf, two humans and some vampires. I also didn't really see a connection between what the fairy-tale creatures were doing and what the humans were doing. Because of this, I don't really think that it would harm you if you gave each POV a chapter of their own. :) If you don't want to do that though, it's fine. This is more of a personal thing, I guess, but I do think that this was a bit on the confusing side at times.

My only other negative comment, which is really rather small, is the fact that it sometimes feels as though you're listing things. I pointed this out in the nit-picks and mentioned it. Take a look back at some of the sentences I pointed out that I felt were doing this. and look over them. Do you understand what I mean when I say that they feel a bit like a list? If you don't really understand what I mean by it, try and think of it as an actual list. You're saying things like, 'He did this, this, and this.' This wouldn't be as much as a problem if you only did it once, twice, three times at the most. What I found though was you doing this quite a lot. The fact that I noticed you doing it is the problem. I have to admit though, I am being really picky on this one. :lol: It's not that what you're saying is bad, no way! In fact, what you actually say when you're 'listing things' is very good. You're very descriptive when you do write them. I would just like to see you cutting down on them a bit. You can do this by simply phrasing what you're trying to say differently.

As a whole, this certainly does have potential! In fact, when and if, you post the next chapter of this, would you mind requesting me for another review? I'd like to find out what happens next. :)

Keep writing,

xoxo Rhian
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:53 am
Maddy says...

The werewolf twitched in his sleep as he felt the night leave. His dreams flickered, grew thinner and vanished, and he opened one eye. The unicorn was not asleep, but lay with his legs folded underneath him, watching the bird as it crossed the sky.

The unicorn got up. He shook his mane, then stood still and breathed in the chill new morning air, his lion’s tail curling and twisting against his hind legs. A shiver ran down his body. He stared at the rising sun, then he turned and began to walk west, into the darkness that the sun had not yet touched. The werewolf padded silently at his side.

In the gloom of the Breeding Hut, the two humans eyed each other warily. The man was tall and dark-eyed, with wide, powerful shoulders that moved uneasily under his rough coat. The woman was quite beautiful, pale and delicate, with golden hair caught up by a blue ribbon and curled into long loose ringlets. She held a candlestick in her hand, and the faint light carved dark hollows under her cheekbones.

The man’s eyes flicked from the woman’s face to the ceiling rafters and to the packed dirt floor. He licked his lips, began to speak, then stopped and cleared his throat. The woman watched him, a small grave smile curling the corners of her perfect mouth.

“Now then,” the man said. He took a step towards her and hesitantly held out his hand, as though to an animal that he wished to coax closer. “What do they call thee?”

“Thaw Beauty,” the woman said. “What do they call thee?”

“Wuthering Strength,” he said. “Is’t thy first time in here?”

She nodded. “And for thee?”

The man looked down. “No. I’ve—I’ve been in here before.”

“Were ye not successful? Did ye not give them a child?”

His voice trailed away. The woman looked at him, then stepped closer and put her hand in his. “Thou art a man now,” she said softly. “Wuthering Strength.”

The man looked down at their clasped hands, then at her face. She smiled at him, and her face was like the sunrise. The man said, wondering, “Th’art beautiful” and he stroked her face as though it were a delicate blossom, easily bruised.

As the sun rose in the sky, the unicorn and the werewolf crested the hill and looked down on the village. It was no more than a collection of stone-walled houses with rough dirt tracks leading from one building to another. A few sheep grazed in a small pen and three <--{Do we need a specific number here?} horses grazed around their picket lines tied to the side of a large<--{Barns are typically large} barn.

The werewolf sniffed the air and growled, the dark hair rising along his back. He broke into a trot and the unicorn followed him down the hill. As they drew closer, a human came out of the barn, leading a grey mare. The man had a long russet moustache and lighter hair that he constantly pushed back out of his eyes. He wore woollen trousers and a long-sleeved tunic, and when the horse nuzzled his shoulder, it left a dark wet stain on the brightly-dyed cloth. The man led the horse around the barn to the track that led away from the village towards the west. The wind blew their scent back and the werewolf stopped, sniffing.

The unicorn looked at him inquisitively, but the werewolf remained intently watching the village.

A figure emerged from one of the houses and strode toward the man holding the horse. A growl rumbled in the werewolf’s throat, and the unicorn shifted uneasily, tossing its horn. Below them, the man held the horse steady as the second figure mounted and gathered up the reins. He was short and weather-beaten, dressed in a similar fashion to the man, but he wore a twisted golden torc around his neck and he carried a long hunting spear with a collar of black raven feathers. The werewolf’s teeth gleamed white beneath quivering lips, but the vampire below remained oblivious. He turned the mare about and nudged her forward down the track.

{Oh-this was really, really confusing. It was very hard to read and to keep up with the actions. I suggest introducing the figure’s name. Like this :

------A figure emerged from one of the horses and strode towards the man with the horse. A growl rumbled in the werewolf’s throat, and the unicorn shifted uneasily, tossing its horn.
“NAME,” said the man with the mare, nodding his head in a gesture of welcome. NAME stiffly nodded back, mounting the horse and gathering the reins from him.

NAME was short and weather-beaten in appearance, dressed in a similar fashion to the other man, but he wore a twisted, golden torc around his neck and carried a hunting spear decorated with a collar of raven feathers.

The werewolf’s teeth gleamed white beneath quivering lips, but the vampire on the horse remained oblivious. He turned the mare about and nudged her forward down the track.------
}

The werewolf and the unicorn watched observed him until he was out of sight before continuing on their way.
After the first time, the woman sat awkwardly on the bed and wrapped her arms tight around herself. Her eyes were closed, but she could hear the man’s ragged breathing. “I’m sorry,” he kept on saying. “I’m sorry, I—I’m sorry.”

“No, it’s all right,” she managed. She opened her eyes and saw him kneeling on the bed in front of her. She felt the pillow crumpled behind her back, stuffed partly down between the headboard and the heather-stuffed mattress. “It’s all right,” she said again. “It’s all right, it really is.”

She felt sore deep inside herself, and when she moved, slowly and carefully, she felt the blood already drying on the inside of her thighs. There was blood on the sheets too. The man saw it and his face turned scarlet.

“I’m so sorry,” he said. “Did—Did I hurt thee greatly?”

“I—I think so. Mebbe.” He looked terrified.

She slid slowly down in the bed and lay on her side, still hugging herself. She waited, but the man remained awkwardly kneeling. She took a deep breath. “Shouldn’t we get on with it?”

“No, I—Us should wait. I can’t—I—Let’s wait.”

She looked up at him. He shifted back a little, as though he were afraid to touch her.

“It’s no’ so bad,” she said. “It’s hurtin’ less now.”

She watched him dress, then, as he buckled his belt, she said, “Tha’ can’t go again yet, can tha’?”

{Look, as other reviewers have said before me, the words in the dialogue are far too confusing, and sound more modern. It’s not the “thee” and such, it’s the way you’ve strung them together that makes us read the line again and again in puzzlement.
I’m not an expert in medieval dialogue, but I recommend removing the “its”, “us”, and joining words. It will make the dialogue more… I guess Neanderthal-ish. I’ll do it now, and you can decide whether you like it that way:

------After the first time, the woman sat awkwardly on the bed and wrapped her arms tight around herself. Her eyes were closed, but she could hear the man’s ragged breathing. “I’m sorry,” he kept on saying. “I’m sorry, I—I’m sorry.”

“No, no sorry,” she managed. She opened her eyes and saw him kneeling on the bed in front of her. She felt the pillow crumpled behind her back, stuffed partly down between the headboard and the heather-stuffed mattress. “I’m— all right,” she said again. “I’m right, I’m right.”

“I’m sorry,” he said. “Did—Did I hurt thee greatly?”

“I think everyone hurts th’ first time.” She felt gooseflesh rising on her arms and shivered. “Do we...” She swallowed. “Do we do it again?”

“I think yes. Mebbe.” He looked terrified.

She slid slowly down in the bed and lay on her side, still hugging herself. She waited, but the man remained awkwardly kneeling. She took a deep breath. “Shouldn’t we do it now?”

“No, I—we—should wait. I can’t—I—Let’s wait.”

“No’ bad,” she said. “Hurtin’ less now.”

“You lyin’.” He wouldn’t look at her. “We should wait. We wait.” He rocked back, slid his legs down and searched for his clothes on the floor. He gathered them together, brown trousers, white shirt, dark waistcoat and necktie.

She watched him dress, then, as he buckled his belt, she said, “can’t go again yet, can tha’?”

He darted a glance at her, then pulled on his shoes. “Try again later,” he said.-------
Don’t know if you like it: You don’t have to, it’s only a suggestion.}

The next village they the pair passed was bigger and older, and they skirted carefully around it, keeping the wind before them. This village had brick houses and cobbled roads, and the sun caught the spire of the disused church and flashed dull fire. Even watching from a distance, they could see more vampires this time; a female in a faded flowered dress digging in a front garden, two very young ones playing in a doorway while another female patched a pair of trousers, an old male mending a bridle.

They saw two vampires on the very outskirts of the village, and the hair rose again on the werewolf’s back. The male wore a cloth cap and rubber boots and carried a gun in the crook of his arm; the female was dressed in a neat dark blue dress and her short dark hair blew about in the wind.

The werewolf stood frozen, taut and tense like a bowstring, but the vampires never moved. They just stood, side by side, and watched the moor.

Story is interesting, description is overboard, dialogue needs work and grammar is fine. That is the sentence that pretty much sums it up. Now I’ll explain further:

Intriguing plot, I have to say. Just a question:
What time period is this set in? Or is there no time period, because it is set in a parallel world with a different logical sense of time to us? I’d like to see you make this clear either now or earlier on in the plot.

When I say description overboard, I mean there is an imbalance of description to action. Yeah, description’s awesome, and a novel needs it to be entertaining, but too much can make a reader’s head spin.
You also need to describe the setting more, and I’m not talking about the villages. Sunrise at the start was great, but things like “cloggy, brown mud clung to the werewolf’s paws as he trotted closer” and “the werewolf’s mane shimmered in the light morning breeze” are combinations of action and description you can use in your story.

Great work. :) Keep the writing up!
-Maddy
-If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you!
-"Careful with that light at the end of the tunnel, it might be another train coming."

This awesome post bought to you by me. :)

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:43 pm
Rydia says...

Dialogue

Hey hey! Okay so first off, Yorkshire dialect? What an interesting idea! A very good choice as it's one of those accents that's neither modern or old and sometimes so hard to place and so full of character. You're a little off admittedly but you've made a good attempt and well, let's see if I can help you eh? I may not be able to speak it very well (Tha's all wron' there 'eather, love as my folks are always saying) but I can write it! Lesson, lesson, who has a lesson plan? Let's take a section of your dialogue and work from there:

“Now then,” “What do they call thee?” <<<< Too formal! I know they're supposed to be sounding quite formal and awkward but that doesn't work very well with Yorkshire. It's a language of the common man and generally rough and rowdy. The Now then is good, very common way of greeting in fact but you should maybe use phonetic spelling? It would be pronounced as 'Nah then' and for the second part I'd suggest, 'Wha's da called?' Or 'By wha' da theh call thih?' Another good greeting is 'Ow do or eyup, wherez tha frum? XD

Tip: Tykes (Yorkshire folk) always drop the t at the end of words and very rarely pronounce their h's at the beginning.

“Wuthering Strength,” “Is’t thy first time in here?” <<<<<< Is it tha fust time 'ere? They don't always use thee and thy!

“No. I’ve—I’ve been in here before.” <<<<< Should be Ney, aive bin in 'ere afooer. It's hard as there isn't a strict way to write it.

“Were ye not successful? Did ye not give them a child?” <<<<<< Di'nt da geh it rate then lad? Couldn't tha gi'er a bairn? (This would change dependent on the age of the girl. If she's a bit younger than him she might be more likely to use eh rather than lad. To not actually address him directly.)

“I was nobbut a lad, then, an’ I—I didn’t...” <<<<<<<< I woh nowt bu' a lad then. An' I- I di'nt

“Thou art a man now,” “Wuthering Strength.”[/Quote] <<<<<< Th'art a man naw

I'll stop that for now XD Here's a few good sites to browse and you can talk through dialogue with me if you decide to stick it out with the Yorkshire.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/northyorkshire/voi ... shtml#poem
http://www.wikihow.com/Speak-With-a-Yorkshire-Accent

Characters

I was a little grated by the girl's description as beautiful but in general I liked the two humans, the male more than the female admittedly. I foudn the unicorn and werewolf hard to get to grips with and I think perhaps you did too? Switching between he and I gave too much uncertainty, you should settle on using on or the other and maybe try to keep the sections more seperate instead of so integrated. It would be easier to get a feel for the unicorn and werewolf if they weren't always slipping in and out. As soon as I start to recognise some personality in either of them, I'm distracted by a change in perspective again.

Descriptions and handling

Both very well done. You handled the discussion of sex successfully, had a very intriguing set up with the breeding house and the expectation of pregnancy. You described the layour of the land and the characters nicely, some good use of senses in there and generally you've got a good grasp on atmosphere and tension. I liked the contrast between the distant feeling of the werewolf and the unicorn and the close, personal feel of the scenes with the humans.

Overall

You've really set yourself a challenge here and it's hard to tell how well you're pulling it off. I think it's going to take a lot of work to make this 'realistic' but the historical setting will help and so far your fantasy elements have been tasteful and bareable though not quite relished or enjoyed just yet. I think I'll reserve judgement for the moment. There's a lot I like about this and a lot that I want to like. Let me know when the next part's done?

Heather xx
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:07 pm
StellaThomas says...

TLG! Stella here!

I. NITPICKS

Here's an idea: let's start with a description of the weather! Because that's never been done before. If you can justify it, fine. But you do repeat "into the sky."

I'll be honest, I'm not a fan of colloquial speech, unless there's a specific reason you're using it.

Alright.

II. OPENINGS

Lately, I've been very aware of openings and how they affect us. Right now, we have a werewolf and a unicorn. Random much? But alright. Cool. They're going vampire hunting- wait, there are vampires? We only found out towards the end of this segment. And then there are these two people, you know, doing it in the middle. In a rather pagan way which I didn't think would be accepted in Yorkshire in the period you seem to be talking about- because there's guns and rubber boots, which makes me think more modern. So what are they doing? Also, now I know it's Yorkshire I'm alright with the word "Wuthering" but I was going to mention it.

Overall, it seems a little confused, and we're not clear on what's going on. At the same time, though, very little is happening. Unicorn and Werewolf wake up. People have sex. Unicorn and Werewolf wander round looking at vampires.

Your writing is beautiful, but as an opening it's a little redundant. It puzzles us, but nothing happens that intrigues us. I think you should ask yourself if this is really where you want to start. If so, fine. Just my two cents.

III. OVERALL

Your writing really is very lovely, I'm just wondering about its purpose.

Hope I helped, drop me a note if you need anything!

-Stella x
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:52 am
Cirque says...

Hello, I'm Cirque and as promised I'm here to do a review for you. I would just like to mention that I'm kind of "inexperienced", seeing all your reviews, though I'll still give it my best shot. The title is very interesting I must say. Mustard-Seed is definietly different. :D

Quite a lot of information here. I often get told that I use to many adjectives in my first paragraph and I've found that you do the same. It does, literally make it more interesting and give you a vivid image of what you're trying to explain. Although, it's just to much! It really bogs down the reader and the meaning you are trying to portray is extenguished.

The werewolf twitched in his sleep as he felt the night leave. His dreams flickered, grew thinner and vanished, and he opened one eye.

I believe you could make this into one sentence or atleast quench the same meaning into something a little less jumbled. It seems awkward and, in my opinion, there are to many stops for just a few sentences. For me, I would try and straighten out the rough edges to really melt it all into one. eg. The werewolf twitched in his sleep as the night began to leave. His dream flickered, growing thinner as the sun began to rise from its folds. Prying open one of his eyes, the yellow son vanished the escence of his dream, leaving a distant breeze to wash over him. I went a little over board, but that to me seems a little less rough.

The woman was quite beautiful. Pale and delicate, with golden hair caught up by a blue ribbon and curled into long loose ringlets.

He shook his mane, then stood still and breathed in the chill new morning air. His lion’s tail curling and twisting against his hind legs.

Just a small grammatical errors here. Well, not really an error I just thought it fit better then what was there before. Instead of stretching it to be a run on sentence, I suggest you cut it into two senteces which works all the same as the last.

In the gloom of the "Breeding Hut"

As you have distinguished these words out with capital letters, quotation marks should be used around the two words to make it stand out more as naming words to a place.

446 Reviews

Reviews: 446
Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:07 am
Yuriiko says...

Hello there, Wooster!

Here as requested. :wink:

:arrow: Point of Views and Characters:

Switching POV's confused me a bit. For one thing, the connection between the wolf, unicorn and the two human characters... I don't feel it. It's like narrating two or more stories at the same time. You have a lot of characters that's it's hard to tell who's who, as what Skins has commented before me. If this is a novel then, I would personally feel sorry for your readers. Plus, I think you're getting a hard time with this too.

:arrow: Narration:

How you narrate this story is quite exceptional, really. Using Yorkshire accent? I think that's cool but your descriptions, well let's just say, looks like modern to me and your dialogs are so classical. Better yet, your descriptions are two thumbs up, so be really happy for that.

One thing that bothers me:

Is it just me? I noticed you tend to repeat "into the sky" twice. And I'm not a fan of repetitions, it's never good to read same words over again. Also, it seems like you make long sentences, so why won't you chopped off those sentences into fewer words or just rephrase it? But it's just based on entirely my suggestions, 'kay?

:arrow: Good things:

Good news: Grammar is great and your spellings and punctuations are neat and clean. Your tenses are consistent, so yay for that, TL-G. And honestly, this entertained me and I find it quite interesting. PM me for questions. :D
And I'm sorry if ever I was harsh or something and also for only saying quite a few paragraohs here. It's because I think those cirtiques above have pretty much covered almost everything and I don't want to repeat things again. Okay? :wink:

Keep writing!

peace out! :smt004

~yuri
"Life is a poem keep it in the present tense." -Sherrel Wigal

553 Reviews

Reviews: 553
Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:59 pm
MiaParamore says...

Hey TL-G Wooster. Here to review, on request.

I think I might not have something else to say as many of the reviewers have given their suggestions already.:D And let me tell you I haven't seen their reviews so if something they have already told still catches my eye, then it means you seriously need to correct it, as two people separately can't be wrong.

It's not the most perfect thing for an opening but yes, it was beautifully written and you should continue with these kind of vivid descriptions.

The werewolf sat up and scratched violently behind his right ear.
Phrasing wise this sentence was a bit wrong. You should first tell us that what ti was he was scratching. It should have been like: The werewolf sat up, and scratched behind his right ear violently.Well, generally in good writing pieces we see that the adverb is used later after the verb has been used and the noun has been declared. It's not wrong doing the way you did, but that just somehow looked out of place, like in a jumbled up sentence.

He shook his mane, then stood still and breathed in the chilly new morning air, his lion’s tail curling and twisting against his hind legs.

The woman was quite beautiful; pale and delicate, with golden hair caught up by a blue ribbon and curled into long loose ringlets.
Because you said already that she is beautiful and pretty, you need to put a semi-colon where I have to show that how she could be called beautiful. That's how semi-colon works.

She held a candlestick in her hand, and the faint light carved dark hollows under her cheekbones.
Shubhi likes it! :wink:

The man’s eyes flicked from the woman’s face to the ceiling rafters and to the packed dirt floor.
This seemed quite boring to me. What I have added doesn't make it more interesting anyhow, but it definitely avoids the ditto repetition.

The unicorn looked at him inquisitively, but the werewolf remained intently It should go at the lastwatching the village .

A figure emerged from one of the houses and strode toward the man holding the horse.
Since there is only one man, so you should write towards.

The werewolf’s teeth gleamed white beneath quivering lips, but the vampire below remained oblivious. He turned the mare about and nudged her forward down the track.
Well, oh so it has vampires too. :)

She felt the pillow crumpled behind her back, stuffed partly down between the headboard and the heather-stuffed mattress.
Either it should be just 'crumple' since you have used the felt(a past tense once), or it should be 'being crumpled'.

That's all for the line-by-line critiques, but I would go on with it the overall ones. 8)

Well, to be honest, I really liked the unicorn and werewolf setting. The two of them looked new to me as friends or pair, whatever they were meant to be, and everyone would agree with me, they were a hell lot mysterious. Probably to know what's their secret or why are they travelling I cannot wait to read the next chapter. So, as Kitty has said, i also think that you have given yourself up a great challenge and you should continue with it and don't speed up or hurry. Take your time, and write this down only when you are calm and free of everything. You should write the next chapter also with all the soul.

The writing style was quite captivating and it held me from the very first line. :smt001 The length was absolutely normal, neither too much nor too less. So good job done. Also, I really liked how the way you described somethings. All the characters(the humans or the vampires) seem to have a distinct style, voice modulation and the dressing sense, which, for me is the world's biggest creativity. The vivid descriptions just did great for me. They were also not too much nor too less.

The grammar seems fabulous to me and there was no problem with the commas, which is the usual thing out here and I also have the same problem. But there were two three instances where you messed up with the sentence construction. it's not bad or a crime to use the adverbs before the noun, but I didn't like it sometimes. Generally the adverbs are placed at the end when the noun and the verb have been mentioned so that the structure of the sentence doesn't look messed up. Also, it looks like you're not the best when ti comes to the action. Mostly you list out the verbs and it looks like a big list someone has handed me. The sentences you formed sometimes tend to be long. but I think that's all right until they are grammatically correct.

Now coming onto the setting, i really liked it. It didn't seem the usual American or European setting which is getting quite common. Have you read any of the Paulo Coelho's work? Almost in every of his book, he tries to bring another culture to us, of a country of which people don't think much, lifestyle wise, but when we read his work, we get drowned in it. I love the way he writes and after reading yours I was reminded of his The Alchemist. i don't know why, mainly because this seemed me a setting of a dessert.

Now one big problem I had was in the paragraph when for the first time the unicorn and werewolf see the vampire, the one holding onto his mare. First you mentioned a mare, then after some sentences in the same paragraph you said horse, then again later you came back to mare. I think it was supposed to be one creature, wasn't it? So, why did you switch the words? Now coming onto the switching POVs thing, many said that they found it confusing and boring, but for me it worked. I liked these kind of things, and I also sometimes write switching the POVs. It's fun to write, sin't it/ So sorry, girls who didn't like it. I loved it!

As for the story, I haven't understood it much, the main concept and I cannot wait to see how the humans, vampires unicorns, and the unicorn are related. It was maybe because of it's length, but then I hope you do introduce us to the story a bit more, and we get to know what actually it's about.

Yorkshire Accent? Well, it would be quite interesting to read about it and get to know it. I am not into this, I haven't heard about it or read it, so I totally don't know how it works and to be honest I was confused about it. So I am going to go to the net and search about it and I advice you to take help from dear Kitty on this as she knows a quite about it and also lives In England.

Well, this all for now I have to share, but I would definitely try to reach before for the next chapter so that I am left with something to review. :)

Keep Writing,
~Shubhi
"Next time you point a finger
I might have to bend it back
Or break it, break it off
Next time you point a finger
I'll point you to the mirror"

— Paramore

I don't have much knowledge about marsupials.
— ForeverYoung